++ The Brotherhood of Dust - A Thousand Sons Community ++

I'm hoping GW sees sense and removes the sorcerers from the rubric and SOT units, making them individual characters like the standard bearers and such from the blood angel Terminator and sanguinary guard box.

I'm hoping GW sees sense and removes the sorcerers from the rubric and SOT units, making them individual characters like the standard bearers and such from the blood angel Terminator and sanguinary guard box.

That would actually make a lot sense in 8th. I mean even Kroot Pathfinder and the T'au Sniper Drone Marksman are their own Elite slot choice lol

I really hope they don't do this just because I'm seeing a weird mechanism in 8th with squads and their specific support characters getting separated. I think the minor Sorcs are there for fluffy reasons and mechanical reasons. I see why someone would want them to be separate but in practice I've seen really weird stuff happen. 

Also against certain armies it gets really hard to protect these characters. With Thousand Sons you actually can take multiple Exalted Sorcs and still have a functional army. I am finding they get very tricky to protect from snipers, vindicares, and precision deep striking units. I personally think it would be a bit of a nightmare protecting 1-2 wound characters.

I really hope they don't do this just because I'm seeing a weird mechanism in 8th with squads and their specific support characters getting separated. I think the minor Sorcs are there for fluffy reasons and mechanical reasons. I see why someone would want them to be separate but in practice I've seen really weird stuff happen. 

Also against certain armies it gets really hard to protect these characters. With Thousand Sons you actually can take multiple Exalted Sorcs and still have a functional army. I am finding they get very tricky to protect from snipers, vindicares, and precision deep striking units. I personally think it would be a bit of a nightmare protecting 1-2 wound characters.

They would obviously need to get more wounds like everyone else as well.^^

Normal HQ characters have 5 wounds, and smaller stuff like Sargent characters have 3-4 wounds. 

I would love for the SOT Sorcerer to become an elite choice character! The Aspiring Sorcerers can just stay the way they are now but I feel like Magnus' personal guard should have more magic prowess than casting a single mini-smite...

Yea, the ancients seem to have 4 wounds, and 5 in TDA. The corresponding rubric and scarab sorcerer would get 4 and 5 respectively. The rubrics shield him, and the effect of perils is lessened hopefully.

Quick rules question: If I set up my Scarab Occult Termis in deepstrike reserve, do they count as a "drop" in the deployment phase, just like any other unit I deploy on the table? Or can I just say "They are in reserve" and then also set up e.g. a Helbrute on the table?

I was curious about screamers inn8th and what folks have thought of their performance alongside 1000 sons.

I am thinking of buying the Deamons getting started box and a couple boxes of blues/ brimstone for versatility.

I couldnt get Screamers to work after about 10 games. They performed so poorly that I traded them to a friend for more Rubricae.

By the way, the Chaos faq rekt our Exalteds. I'm not sure you guys have seen me salty, but I'm salty now. TS faction rules and spells had better be good.

On the plus, Fateweaver has a 4++ now.

Quick rules question: If I set up my Scarab Occult Termis in deepstrike reserve, do they count as a "drop" in the deployment phase, just like any other unit I deploy on the table? Or can I just say "They are in reserve" and then also set up e.g. a Helbrute on the table?

Yeah reserves are a 'drop' as well.

In a funny twist; even with a 26 point increase they are still fantastic, just "less so" then before. 

Still great options (its a lord statline with a stave and psychic spells and a wound more then regular sorcerers with a re-rolling 1's invul save) 101 didnt "feel" right after gear options. 

So we are looking at 112 + 14 + 1 for the on foot equaling 127.  Which honestly to me "feels" right.  Rest of the army still rocks the table so I have no issue with a mild increase.  The disc increase makes me question disc sorcerers however. PAINFUL! 

The increase is just weird. Did they fix the disks turning off their aura effects on themselves (IE: Turning them into daemons?)  

Honestly the disks were not that great anyway. I just have to decide to rip them off or create new Exalteds. 

Not that there was any doubt, but +1 to invulnerables being confirmed is really nice, that's a 4++ from plasma, or whatever weird AP-1 D1 weapons there are out there - genestealers rending claws? 

T'au Vespid have AP-2 D1, T'au Cyclic Ion Blaster have AP-1 D1 if not overcharged and they can improve all their weapons AP by 1 on Battlesuits (although usually it's better to just take one more weapon).

Maybe not with Space Marines, but there are plenty D1 weapons with noteable AP in the game. :D

Not that there was any doubt, but +1 to invulnerables being confirmed is really nice, that's a 4++ from plasma, or whatever weird AP-1 D1 weapons there are out there - genestealers rending claws? 

T'au Vespid have AP-2 D1, T'au Cyclic Ion Blaster have AP-1 D1 if not overcharged and they can improve all their weapons AP by 1 on Battlesuits (although usually it's better to just take one more weapon).

Maybe not with Space Marines, but there are plenty D1 weapons with noteable AP in the game. :biggrin.:

Indeed, but the invun only comes into play when the AP is -3 or better, otherwise their boosted armour save (2+ with All is Dust) is better than or equal to the invun :)

Maybe not with Space Marines, but there are plenty D1 weapons with noteable AP in the game. :biggrin.:

Indeed, but the invun only comes into play when the AP is -3 or better, otherwise their boosted armour save (2+ with All is Dust) is better than or equal to the invun :smile.:

Heh, true. Okay so then T'au Plasma (with or without ATS) and Riptides (with ATS and Nova Charge on the Burstcannon or without either on the Ion Accelerator) I guess. :D

Thought AP-2 was the threshold for some reason...maybe I should go to bed now. :P

Nothing yet on the aura thing but I asked on FB. It's not so much "how does this work?" as it is "ummmm :cuss"

Oh, and I wanted to point out something very important, regarding our Exalted Sorcerers with their wonderful Chaos Lord stats. Check this out. 

pg. 182/5.Fight Phase:

"Models that charged this turn can only target enemy units that they charged in the previous phase"

IF you manage to keep lots of Exalted Sorcerers within range to do a Heroic Intervention, OR if the enemy uses their Fight pile-in to move within 1" of your exalted sorcerers, that means that (for example) a unit of 30 freakin' Ork Boyz could NOT engage those Exalted. This means that they are safe to get your swings in, and then Fall Back next turn without risk of getting killed this turn, provided everything works out.. 

So, using the above example, which is fairly certain to happen at least occasionally in your play, you can throw a lot of sorcerers in that hit on 2+ and have a reasonable chance to cause some damage in melee. 

It's not some super secret, just another trick to be aware of when you are outnumbered. Against superior numbers and dangerous armies, we need to be on top of our Rules game. Correct me if I am wrong with the above

So finally got my first game with Thousand Sons and my first game in 8th edition this friday coming! Going to start small with a 500 point game in the morning to figure out what rules have been changed etc then maybe work bigger if we have the time! Don't have much choice yet since all I've got are two squads of 10 rubrics, 5 SOT's, 3 sorcerers and Magnus. Doubt I'll use Magnus though doesn't seem fair :') I know my matey is bringing his Mechanicum. Anything to watch out for in 8th, or anything I should know for the Sons in general? I know he has a lot of dunecrawlers that's it! 

Never used a psyker before so this could be interesting. Thinking of making my sorcerer Ahriman since his aura bonus looks pretty damn awesome, plus I have no rhinos etc so could be useful. I've still not got a clue how any of the detachments or Command points work or so on yet. Bit worried!

Using the models you mention, at 500pts you can make a Patrol Detachment using the following:

Ahriman (Warlord)

Exalted Sorcerer w/ Force Stave

10 Rubric Marines w/ Soulreaper Cannon

For being Battleforged you get 3 Command Points. I recommend saving them for Perils OR if he takes a massive toll on the Rubric Marines with that dunecrawler, you could auto-pass a break test just to ensure you survive long enough to get close but you could take the Warlord Trait that gives them LD 9 from Ahriman instead of LD 8 from the Aspiring Sorcerer.... You should probably advance turn one, then consider using Warp Time to Advance again, but keep some guys within range of the Exalted Sorcerer's bubble, because that dunecrawler can really connect if you fail saves.

Ahriman should be behind the Exalted Sorcerer at all times, to avoid being targeted with shooting. Just remember, you are paying more points to be able to use 3 psychic powers, so he should be within 18" ASAP so long as it doesn't get him killed. Infernal Gaze and Smite can really help. 

Don't forget that Ahriman's Invul is 4++, not 5++ like the Exalted. Don't forget that your characters let everyone re-roll Invuls of 1. Don't forget that the Aspiring Sorcerer can still use Smite when he advances. 

If you think Ahriman will be casting a lot, give him the Warlord Trait that lets him ignore damage on a 6.

IF you think it is worth it to not Advance asap, put Prescience on the Rubrics and try to strip wounds from the target you think is most dangerous.. 

Leave none alive.

Serisouly.. rubricae may be great but I'm fed up of the rest of the army getting worse and worse, yes the rerolls of one is nice but I've not used that much in games, the lack of decent invun or all is dust makes the exalted way to squishy and thanks to psychic focus .... yeah, this ain't great.
And who even gets points like that wrong on release? 
The codex better be good, though having to buy 2/3 within a year will be annoying.

And yeah, I was doubtful of sorcerers on disc as it was, but now? not going near them a with a barge pole, they just don;t have the firepower to really be worth it due to the psychic rules.

I'm honestly tempted to just take a break from 8th, anyone else finding this? 

Archived