Exalted Sorc on disc

5 rubrics x2 flamers icon

5 rubrics x2 flamers icon

10 rubrics x2 flamers icon soulreaper

5 scarab occult soulreaper hellfyre

forgefiend 2 hades 1 ectoplasm

Leviathan drill grav

Sicaran lascannons

Played Jump heavy blood angels with flesh tearers thrown in. Even sort of game for first 2 turns then things started dying and game effectively over when Ahriman managed to kill himself through Perils and took the Forgefiend Leviathan and 4 Rubrics with him.

Could look at some daemons in the future, Screamers Seekers or a chariot possibly. And maybe change the Forgefiend to a Mauler.

1 thing I will say based on this game though - if everything is literally going to be about getting as many HQs involved to provide re-rolls to everything (as happened here) then I shall not be around in this addition for long because it's boring as heck

Great report Arch. Glad to see us hold up against the evil poster boys. I have been thinking of a LoC myself to add.

My new rule is no more model buying until current kits are done. I should finish my 3 units of 5 termites tonight, they just need to be be sealed and based.

Then

Ahriman

3 ex sorc

30 rubrics

Demon prince

Indicator

Predator

40 tzangoors

Might be a while before I buy new models, lol.

Great report Arch. Glad to see us hold up against the evil poster boys. I have been thinking of a LoC myself to add.

My new rule is no more model buying until current kits are done. I should finish my 3 units of 5 termites tonight, they just need to be be sealed and based.

Then

Ahriman

3 ex sorc

30 rubrics

Demon prince

Indicator

Predator

40 tzangoors

Might be a while before I buy new models, lol.

I feel you , my army is fully primed, like 3 fully painted figures in it. 

And its a 5000 point Thousand sons army. lol. The nickname for it at the local shop is "the Bedazzled army" Very bright and vibrant gold. 

Hi all, long time lurker on the thread, been getting back into the game in the past few months after a 10 year hiatus and I have a quick question...

I'm toying with a 2k list that contains both Magnus and Fateweaver, as I love both models and their fluff, but I'm obviously concerned that this might be putting a dozen eggs into two baskets and praying they don't break. Is this at all feasible, or should I just prepare to lose 90% of my games if I end up going this route? The rest of the list contains the usual Rubrics, SOT, Helbrute, Forgefiend.

Thanks for the insight guys!

Most of the "silly" lists I have seen like that work pretty well. 

Just remember that Fateweaver will suffer pretty hard if a couple solid lascannons connect, and that is not outside the realm of possibility in every other game.

GW just announced coders with Space Marines, Chaos Space Marine, Gray Knights and Death Guard. They said 10 codec between now and Xmas.

Hope 1k sons is in that lot.

Oops did not see the thread on this.

Well looks like a harlie style dex for 1k sons. Could be wrong but looking.that way.

As far as a 1k sons release i could see a new termie sorcerer in a campaign.

The poster in the thread on new releases mentioned unique spells, would be cool.

Got some fluff questions:

Do the Thousand Sons currently have only Rubric Marines, Tzaangors and Cultists as Infantry? As one of the original founding chapters, shouldn't their armoury have included everything from bikes to Raptors to Havocs? Or were they all just destroyed in the battle for Prospero?

Because once again it seems that those Raptors I converted won't be able to be real Thousand Sons (if the army list stays the same once our Codex drop, which I strongly assume it will).

Did they mention any of the other 6?

Definitely bugs, orks, craftworlds and IG.

The other 2? Another SM chapter probably and either, DE, Yannari, Harlies or us. Of course it could be SW or Ad Mech or deamons. Chaos seems pretty well represented especially with DG release on the horizon. Plus w Morty coming out a campaign focus is likely and Magnus had his time in the sun, on Fenris and the moon.

Do the Thousand Sons currently have only Rubric Marines, Tzaangors and Cultists as Infantry? As one of the original founding chapters, shouldn't their armoury have included everything from bikes to Raptors to Havocs? Or were they all just destroyed in the battle for Prospero?

Because once again it seems that those Raptors I converted won't be able to be real Thousand Sons (if the army list stays the same once our Codex drop, which I strongly assume it will).

When the Rubric was cast, any TS Marine showing minimal/non-existent psychic powers was turned to dust so typically all the marines who would have fallen into the rolls of assault marines/havocs/bikers got dusted leaving bog standard Rubrics behind. That's not to say that a TS Warband wouldn't ally with others who could perform those functions but be all and end all - none of those of the XV Legion aren't fit for it

When the Rubric was cast, any TS Marine showing minimal/non-existent psychic powers was turned to dust so typically all the marines who would have fallen into the rolls of assault marines/havocs/bikers got dusted leaving bog standard Rubrics behind. That's not to say that a TS Warband wouldn't ally with others who could perform those functions but be all and end all - none of those of the XV Legion aren't fit for it

Do we have any evidence of that? Has there ever been any cannonical statement that Rubricae cannot undertake those rolls? I'm sure there has been artwork in codecci that depicted them with plasma guns, and at the end of the day utilising heavy weapons wouldn;t be much more different to using their current options, and the fluff description of Scarab occult makes it clear they can act quickly, so in theory rubricae who were of more specialized roles could work.

But why would being a Rubric Marine prevent them from filling different battlefield roles such as Raptors etc.? GW's fluff says that the progression of a Marine is: Scouts -> Special Squads -> Tactical Squads. Rubric Marines are all tactical squads, thus they must have gone through all the training etc. to operate any other battlefield role. 

So why shouldn't they be able to give them some Lascannons and command them to +Destroy that tank!+ etc.?

One could argue that Rubrics just aren't flexible or fast enough but that's BS both fluff wise (in the Ahriman novels they are able to sprint and their hand-eye-coordination is on par with any other Space Marine, otherwise they wouldn't hit their targets) and crunch wise (they had Ini 4 like any other Space Marine). 

When the Rubric was cast, any TS Marine showing minimal/non-existent psychic powers was turned to dust

Even that is now somewhat questionable since the Scarab Occult Terminators are all extremely powerful psykers but somehow seem to have turned to dust as well. 

I think GW just has a specific vision for each legion. Thousand Sons are a slow moving "terracotta army", Night Lords are Raptors only etc. Sucks man! :(

No idea why. And tbh I don't really care. In the Ahriman novels and also in ToH the Rubrics are showed as requiring petty substantive mental direction which is why they have sorcerers accompanying them. The Scarab Occult aren't sorcerers - they're Rubricae in terminator armour. The Sorcerer with them would have been powerful enough to survive the Rubric and would have a decent degree of psychic power - on par with regular sorcerers, at least before their 8th Ed nerf...

As for their training, you're mistaken sorry. Their training would have taken place prior to the HH and the implementation of the Codex Astartes so they'd never follow the neat progression of their loyalist equivalent. If anything they'd have been assigned a speciality and stuck with it.  And tbh it's one thing to provide a command +KILL THEM+ than have them fight blade to blade, they lack the singularity of focus and reflex that a living person would have. It's not the be all and end all anyway - there's nothing wrong with painting Havocs/Raptors/Bikes in TS colours (or the colours of whatever warband you have) the only detail missing is that they're not XV Legion which is hardly a game breaker.

Agree with the pigeonholing of Legions against stereotyping 100% (I also have Night Lords and Alpha Legion that are RAPTORS and CULTISTS right now which is :cuss. Just have to wait for the imminent CSM dex is all 

We could just have aspiring sorcerers leading raptor groups, heavy weapon squads.  As the rubric hit, the sergeants are left with their squad mates as rubrics and refuse to abandon them. 

And tbh it's one thing to provide a command +KILL THEM+ than have them fight blade to blade, they lack the singularity of focus and reflex that a living person would have

Yeah but they could just be lead by some Sorcerer. And as we can see by the SOT Rubrics are indeed capable of doing work in melee (even if they have to be animated by a Sorcerer). And the fluff says that some shreds of their former selves emerge in battle. So GW could easily say that for example Rubric Raptors are just Khentai warriors whos spirits are attuned to fighting in close combat.

It's not the be all and end all anyway - there's nothing wrong with painting Havocs/Raptors/Bikes in TS colours (or the colours of whatever warband you have) the only detail missing is that they're not XV Legion which is hardly a game breaker.

It's not a game breaker but since TSons probably won't be able to take Raptors etc. the moment I would include some Raptors I would lose access to e.g. TSons specific stratagems (once the codex drops). And that sucks! In Horus Heresy the Thousand Sons have such a nice variety of units and it would be so easy to write some fluff that would allow us to use some of those units. 

And tbh it's one thing to provide a command +KILL THEM+ than have them fight blade to blade, they lack the singularity of focus and reflex that a living person would have

Yeah but they could just be lead by some Sorcerer. And as we can see by the SOT Rubrics are indeed capable of doing work in melee (even if they have to be animated by a Sorcerer). And the fluff says that some shreds of their former selves emerge in battle. So GW could easily say that for example Rubric Raptors are just Khentai warriors whos spirits are attuned to fighting in close combat.

It's not the be all and end all anyway - there's nothing wrong with painting Havocs/Raptors/Bikes in TS colours (or the colours of whatever warband you have) the only detail missing is that they're not XV Legion which is hardly a game breaker.

It's not a game breaker but since TSons probably won't be able to take Raptors etc. the moment I would include some Raptors I would lose access to e.g. TSons specific stratagems (once the codex drops). And that sucks! In Horus Heresy the Thousand Sons have such a nice variety of units and it would be so easy to write some fluff that would allow us to use some of those units. 

Of course you can take Raptors. They just can't have the Thousand Sons keyword. Nothing is stopping you taking a detachment where you can pick and choose all the non-specific thousand sons stuff.

I can just imagine a group of rubric raptors falling to the ground when the sorcerer guiding them gets too far away or dies :D would be cool having actual Thousand son raptors etc but GW seem too set on the cult legions being limited only to their cult legion troops which sucks :(

Rubric Khenentai occult troops would be pretty legit if you ask me. Just because All is Dust is no reason as to why you can't dual wield a pair of blades.

I imagine when the TS codex drops options for units like raptors or Havocs wont be included.

Rubric Khenentai occult troops would be pretty legit if you ask me. Just because All is Dust is no reason as to why you can't dual wield a pair of blades.

I imagine when the TS codex drops options for units like raptors or Havocs wont be included.

I would bet this is true, Although Rubricae Havocs (4x soulreapers??) would be a neat if easy addition to the army list That would just take a unit entry  :tongue.: 

Or a Dust / Psyker Dreadnought, would be very easy to write up a sheet for that and you would think if anyone it would be us that gains a Psyker dread....freakin blood angels. 

As for the Khentai occult; I dont think Rubricae have the necessary skill in melee to keep up with speedy duelists.  I would imagine if there ever is another thousand sons unit it would be an elite slot sorcerer unit, or a fast slot sorcerer/disc unit. (total guess on my part if we ever do get more units, though I doubt that for a very long time) 

Of course you can take Raptors. They just can't have the Thousand Sons keyword. Nothing is stopping you taking a detachment where you can pick and choose all the non-specific thousand sons stuff.

Also; I would imagine that most people that play thousand sons are sticking to the restrictive army list given in the chaos index, we may not come in the first year....but when we receive or codex at some point we almost certainly will have some major unit restrictions following along the lines of that given list in the index. 

I know that when I field my 1k sons its always following that list + Forgeworld tanks/dreads and that is literally it. Though to be fair its quite a good list now, if restrictive. I imagine World Eaters and Emperors Children, and of course Death Guard will have a similar limitation for their codex releases.

Archived