++ The Brotherhood of Dust - A Thousand Sons Community ++

Ethrion, all units in a detachment need to share at least one keyword. "Chaos" will do. Still, the units themselves need to have a "legion" keyword chosen for them. So you can have Rubricae and sorcerers who are Thousand Sons fighting with havocs in the same detachment, but the havocs themselves can't be thousand sons and have to choose a different Legion keyword. Perhaps a warband allied to your sorcerer cabal?

Thanks, that's great!

I'm not trying to get some crazy combo out of it either, I'd built an autocannon havoc squad a while back in the style of rubricae and just love the models and wanted a way of reasonably fitting them into my Thousand Sons force. While officially they aren't Thousand Sons or rubricae they can at least look like them and fit in now.

Had a game on Sunday vs Space Wolves. Scouring 2k Matched. S&D deployment.

Rhino Gray Hunters and Long Fangs all over the place.

Hit him so hard he almost conceded on my Turn 3.

Then I reminded him that he was on the major objective and should count his potential VP. He was up by 1 and I convinced him to stick it out.

I ended up losing because my Daemon Prince with one wound left Periled, died, and failed to kill the crippled Rhino on the major objective with either the Smite he succeeded on with boxcars or the result of his explosion.

Tense game. I was murdering him, then his dice got hot and he clawed his way back into it. He won by that 1VP and I barely failed to take that from him.

I was running Ahriman on foot, a 20man "Ru-Brick" with two Soulreapers, a Forgefiend with dual Hades and the plasma face, a Reaper/Heavy Flamer Defiler, 2 Tri-Las Preds, 3 Chaos Spawn, a Walking DP with Warp Bolter and Talons, The Changeling, an Exalted Flamer, and 2 units of Horrors.

20 Rubricae with a DP standing nearby, plus Prescience and Warp Time from Ahriman is a delete button against any sort of infantry. Hitting on 2's, rerolling 1's with that many AP-2 and -3 shots is insane. Due to the rerolls and sheer volume of fire, my Overwatch was also pretty terrifying.

Daemons and Daemon Engines did well, especially with the protection from the Changeling. Even when the Grey Hunters reached CC with the Rubricae, I kicked his teeth in. Prescience, plus rerolled 1's plus Death to the False Emperor and multiple Smites made his squads just melt.

Spawn went beast mode and forced him to throw nearly all of his anti infantry fire at them to end their little habit of flinging Grey Hunter chunks all over the place.

If his 2x5 Long Fangs in ruins hadn't made every save against lascannon fire in my Turn 3 and then hit me with 8 Krak missiles to delete the Forgefiend (despite the debuff from the Changeling) and knock the DP down to his last wound, I wouldn't have even needed to rely on that final Smite.

Good game, and I was frankly surprised at just how hard we can hit now. My opponent was stunned and on the back foot from Turn 1.

The best games are the ones that go right down to the wire :tu: I'm tempted to get a second squad of Rubrics to pad numbers out and this is encouraging - but I'll be sure to finish what I have first ;)

As a warning, the one large foot squad of 20 does so well because you can stack buffs on it and move it around with Warptime. If you use smaller squads, Rhinos are a good idea.

Nice job :censored: up the Space Puppies.

I'm glad I'm not the only one using Spawn with TSons. I feel like I've gotten more value out of them than the Terminators (I don't like having to DS in a Terminator Sorc to support a 5 man unit that ends up getting tied up anyway).

Good game, and I was frankly surprised at just how hard we can hit now. My opponent was stunned and on the back foot from Turn 1.

I'm glad you are able to see the flow of the game to where you can help convince people to stay if there is a chance of victory. It shows skill on your part

Happy you had a good game! Keep trying that list for a while, I say. Do you have any more insight into the 20man Rubric unit? I want to try it at least once. I like how each game I have the choice of making a different list and just rolling with it. Most of us at my store are literally taking things out of the bags and throwing lists together and having fun games like that.

Nice job :censored: up the Space Puppies.

I'm glad I'm not the only one using Spawn with TSons. I feel like I've gotten more value out of them than the Terminators (I don't like having to DS in a Terminator Sorc to support a 5 man unit that ends up getting tied up anyway).

I have been running Spawns with Thousand Sons and Deathguard. For me they've been good.. not great, but at least I find they are on autopilot, they move quick, do their own thing and don't need constant attention.

On Termies I'm really fading on them. I just started out loving them, and they seem to need something now... I don't know what but I'm literally playing my Thousand Sons without a single squad now and it feels wrong. They just haven't been living up to their billing, it's something I never thought I'd do, but for now I'd rather dump 200 points into a pred, or just about anything... even a Forgefiend.

That sounds like a great game though. Good for you for convincing your opponent to stick it out a little longer. 

I'm glad you are able to see the flow of the game to where you can help convince people to stay if there is a chance of victory. It shows skill on your part

Happy you had a good game! Keep trying that list for a while, I say. Do you have any more insight into the 20man Rubric unit? I want to try it at least once. I like how each game I have the choice of making a different list and just rolling with it. Most of us at my store are literally taking things out of the bags and throwing lists together and having fun games like that.

On the 20 man unit, use it blobbed up with Ahriman and a DP for maximum consistency. Save 2 command points for Insane Bravery at a critical moment and use Inspiring Leader on your Warlord. Move 10 inches a turn with Warptime and try to search for low risk charges to serve as additional movement. Have other flanking threats to take pressure off and prioritize fire support units as targets.

Do not attempt to field more Rubricae on foot....you won't be able to support them, given casting limits.

What about demons? What Tzeentch demons sync up best with Thousand Sons? I've not had chance to look into their rules much yet however I love the look of Tzeentch demons, being horrors, screamers and lord of change/Kairos. I'd love to pick up a few to work with my Thousand Sons to fill other roles. I'm not too much of a big fan of Tzaangors and how they look to be honest, any suggestions, anyone with experience using them?

*cough* I hope these kind of posts are still wanted in this thread well let me begin:

Phalaris of Akragas, formerly known as Phalaris Munuthem, Sorcerer Lord of the Thousand Sons,

originally of the Athanaean cult now the co-leader of the Fellowship of the Winged Serpent a splinter group of the Prodigal Sons.

Our task is to gather intelligence about the enemies of the Legion and help to plan operations in advance.

With the aid of other splinter groups similar to us we created a large network of cultists that provides insight into the imperium and helps us to find new potential recruits.

Every bit of important information is reported directly to Lord Ahriman himself.

About myself I despise demons and mutations to the extreme no one in the Fellowship has them or uses them. They are a sign of weakness and carelessness!

If I would notice that a brother or one of my Acolytes has lost himself to these “gifts” I will have him leave the Fellowship immediately.

Naturally I don’t worship Tzeentch; I’m more a man of reason and praising an uncaring masse of souls doesn’t strike me as very reasonable.

I participated in the ritual that is now known as the Rubric of Ahriman and was one of the many brothers that were exiled because of it.

Some of my fellows call me “Alp” as I like to break the minds of my opponents by showing them their worst nightmares.

In the end my loyalty belongs to my beloved Legion, Lord Ahriman the wise and our mighty father the one-eyed giant.

The Fellowship possesses the following troops:

3 full squads of Rubricae

1 squad of Scarab Occults

An unknown number of Sorcerer Lords

(Acolytes lots of them but they don’t exist in TT sadly)

So after my very dramatic arrival what do you guys think about dreadclaws and filling them with Rubric warpflamers? (That would be 535 points [dreadclaw 200+335 full flamer squad with soulreapercannon and AS with warpflame pistol]).

I was thinking about getting one that’s why I ask.

Also hi...

I've had 2 games so far with my Tsons.

Both games have included a 10 man scarab occult unit, which have been the absolute all-stars of my list. I have paired them with Ahriman and just gone to town with them.

They completely delete any kind of infantry off the board, while also throwing around a heap of higher S/high AP shots at other targets. I don't think i've actually lost a single model from the unit in either game yet. Love em.

Both games have included a 10 man scarab occult unit, which have been the absolute all-stars of my list. I have paired them with Ahriman and just gone to town with them.

They completely delete any kind of infantry off the board, while also throwing around a heap of higher S/high AP shots at other targets. I don't think i've actually lost a single model from the unit in either game yet. Love em.

Maybe that's the key. Full 10 man squad? How were they equipped?

Maybe, but taking two 5-man units does give you that extra sorcerer and additional Smite...

Maybe, but taking two 5-man units does give you that extra sorcerer and additional Smite...

And that extra cost :/

I really don;t rate the Scarab sorcerers, yes aspiring sorcerers also have the nerfed smite but least they are cheaper. Tens strong could be the way to run the scarabs though, as it minimizes the cost difference between them and normal terminators, I still don;t see why they cost more as the limited movement, options and relatively limited use of all is dust on them (compared to Rubricae) mean I;d say there value isn't great.

Not going to lie, the more I think about it, the more I think I just can;t find a point for them anymore, for their points you can get Deamon princes, warpflamer rubrica squads, disco predators ect, which all bring far more then they do.

I do love the rubricae;s rules, my favourite unit in the game exepting GK terminaotrs is finally decent/good enough for a rubricae hoard to be effective.

SOT serve a purpose in backline busting. You either deepstrike in and charge tanks to prevent them firing, or you're attacking squads of Devestators/Havocs hiding in ruins to prevent heavy weapons on your high T models. Once they're there though you're kind of stuck. They'll die in the back, or slog slowly towards combat. You can always drop a sorcerer with them, but a 5 man unit means that sorcerer is probably going down with the group.

It's the only time I've ever felt they've served a purpose in anything I've played or viewed. It's really unfortunate as I love the models, but overall I don't think they bring much to the table.

I do agree however that more SOT in a unit does improve their value drastically and when paired with a Sorcerer may be significantly better. I secretly wish Daemon Princes could Teleport in for RR 1's on the unit.

I like them, but think you have to think of them as something other than a termiecide or assault terminator unit. They don't have the specialized alpha strike firepower of combiweapon terminators, nor the extreme melee bonuses things like DA knights can get. They do however have really good shooting and durability, which is good for taking control over a part of the battlefield - which again is a benefit in objective based missions. So I use terminator units, a dreadclaw - and a warp timeing demon prince or even Magnus to redeploy much of my army in round 2 and give me an advantage. I enjoy that playstyle, and find it very fitting to our fluff. Rending the veil, stroking our chins and going "just as planned" as we suddenly make the battle into something quite different from what our opponents prepared and deployed for.

Lately I have been tempted to do something fun;  Alot of the Forgeworld stuff is possibly useable by us and this includes much of the Heresy-era stuff. 

I am tempted to buy some of the Castellax-Achea robots (Yay psychic robots!) and use them as our "helbrute" equivalents.  They are on the same base size, about the same width, and a fraction of a hair taller.  And in a rather hilarious twist in dollar amount come up to the exact same amount of money (or within a dollar or two) 

Anyone else think this would be a neat idea?  Id kill to be able to use those in a thousand sons list within the context of 8th, and the guns are easily identifiable (its a heavy bolter, a fist with 2 bolters *combi lol*, and a gun that is in all but name a plasma cannon) Considering I really dont like helbrute models within our lists due to the whole "fleshy bits" and such. 

I can only imagine you go full load (ie. Soul Reapers and Missles). If you're talking about compounding effectiveness of psychic powers on that unit then you'd definitely want it to pack the best punch possible.

I personally still can't see myself rolling with a 10 pack though. 500 points in one unit for 8 or 16 S4R-2, 8 S5R-3, and 4 S8R-2 shots seems a little underwhelming to me for such a big points investment. Tack on the Terminator Sorcerer then you've got a third of your points slogging after DS.

I'd definetly have to playtest first but that doesn't leave much to me. I'd almost rather try it with 20 Rubrics and see how that rolled.

So far I've ran my terminators as five man squads with the flamer and missile rack. They're solid against infantry but it isn't that difficult for a vehicle to bog them down.

I haven't found soul reaper cannons to be that good on either type of rubric. Its just to close to the normal profile for me to justify.

That said as of now we don't really have access to many powers and they've been the biggest source of anti-vehicle options.  

I can only imagine you go full load (ie. Soul Reapers and Missles).

I personally still can't see myself rolling with a 10 pack though. 500 points in one unit for 8 or 16 S4R-2, 8 S5R-3, and 4 S8R-2 shots seems a little underwhelming to me for such a big points investment. .

I was running them with all the special weapons, I treat them as a mobile fire base, more so than an assault unit. As some people mentioned, they provide a really serious area of denial effect. I deepstrike them in the middle of some objectives (placing objectives tactically at the start of the game is critical for success people) and shoot like crazy. I generally place them so that Ahriman or disk exalted or Magnus can zoom forwards to them turn 1/2 for warp time. I also try for a big charge into an appropriate target the turn they deepstrike, using a reroll if necessary as it helps you really close that distance, it's the fastest way to move SOT.

Zodd, you need to look at the combi bolter rules again. A 10 man unit throws 16/36 S4R-2, 8 S5R-3, and 4 S8R-2. They literally just mow down infantry. I use them as the clean up crew that No One wants to approach for CC. They also make an amazing target for prescience when in a 10man unit. Because we have such few spells a the moment, you really want bang for buck from every use of them, which is best served by affecting as many models as possible.

I warped timed a 20man unit of tzaangors and covered 23" of board in a turn (with advances), completely changed the state of the game.

Archived