++ The Brotherhood of Dust - A Thousand Sons Community ++

Occult Blade Cabal rubrics would be a great idea! I'm really hoping that when we get our codex GW will introduce a couple new models and trickle in some new ones down the road. Maybe that's what will make us unique, having other toys to play with instead of having the rubric version of whatever chaos marines get (raptors/bikers/havocs). I would personally love to see a rubric and/or sorcerer dread, maybe a new vehicle in the form of a silver tower(a mini version maybe something that splintered off of one of the big ones), and how cool would it be to have doomwing and firelord flyers return! The stuff has always been there....GW just needs to pull the trigger on it and getting our own book is a step in the right direction.

There was a passage in Gathering Storm 2 that I keep thinking about. I think it's very possible to restore some of the Legion as we saw in that book.

The trick is Ahriman has to figure out how they did it, which considering his history is very plausible. Or the Eldar willingly help. Why would they do that? Well if the Imperium starts pushing back too hard, then the balance may change. Cawl and Guilliman start to turn things around too much, then the Eldar may consider various counter balancing. Plus Eldar are manipulative folk. It could happen.

There was a passage in Gathering Storm 2 that I keep thinking about. I think it's very possible to restore some of the Legion as we saw in that book.

The trick is Ahriman has to figure out how they did it, which considering his history is very plausible. Or the Eldar willingly help. Why would they do that? Well if the Imperium starts pushing back too hard, then the balance may change. Cawl and Guilliman start to turn things around too much, then the Eldar may consider various counter balancing. Plus Eldar are manipulative folk. It could happen.

It would take Magnus helping Ahriman to do that. Every time Ahriman gets close Tzeentch just pulls the rug from under him. Would reversing the rubric solve the flesh change ? They need to solve Tzeentch to reverse the rubric and then solve the Emperors gene problem to cure the flesh change. The legion is doubly cursed.

It would take Magnus helping Ahriman to do that.

Magnus is in Ahriman's debt after the Webway shenanigans on Fenris.

I believe it's possibly been paid. Gathering Storm post game story seemed to indicate the Black Library location was given to Ahriman. I could be wrong, but the sad thing was that 3 part story really put Thousand Sons in a bad spot. They made Ahriman look like he had a half baked idea and suffered some strong losses. 

I really wish Magnus would 'properly' go after the Black Library with Ahriman and wipe it out once and for all. (Or at least find something that reverses the Rubric).

@Prot, yes I can.

Q. If a rule creates a new unit during the battle in a Matched Play game and adds them to my army, must I pay for the unit with my reinforcement points?

A. Yes (unless the rule itself says otherwise). If you don’t have enough reinforcement points, you cannot add that unit to your army.

Q. What about rules that transform one model into another model – such as turning an enemy Character into a Chaos Spawn; do I still need to pay reinforcement points to add the Chaos Spawn to my army?

A. Again, yes (unless the rule itself says otherwise).

Q. What about rules that add models to existing units; do I need to pay reinforcement points for those models? A. No (unless the rule itself says otherwise).

So unless the rule stats you don't pay for it, you have to pay for it and "The Blade of Magnus" doesnt specify the Spawn is free.

@Prot, yes I can.

Q. If a rule creates a new unit during the battle in a Matched Play game and adds them to my army, must I pay for the unit with my reinforcement points?

A. Yes (unless the rule itself says otherwise). If you don’t have enough reinforcement points, you cannot add that unit to your army.

Q. What about rules that transform one model into another model – such as turning an enemy Character into a Chaos Spawn; do I still need to pay reinforcement points to add the Chaos Spawn to my army?

A. Again, yes (unless the rule itself says otherwise).

Q. What about rules that add models to existing units; do I need to pay reinforcement points for those models? A. No (unless the rule itself says otherwise).

So unless the rule stats you don't pay for it, you have to pay for it and "The Blade of Magnus" doesnt specify the Spawn is free.

Thanks for the clarity. Incredibly disappointing. It's extremely rare that it happens. In fact I think I've only done it once.  

Yet a Necron can be reanimated 3-4+ times a game. God forbid I have my thematic pet spawn I name after my friend's killed characters.

I'm taking on a Landraider for the Thousand Sons right now. I gotta say it's sometimes difficult to get into the list, but a very good all around utility and I've found it to be a very good Rubric delivery system.

So, played my first games in 8th edition today and first games with Thousand Sons...

What can I say, I did bad.

I :cussed up a lot. In the 500 game my list was Ahriman, 10x rubrics with soulreaper and a forgefiend with 2x hades. We did the points extremely rushed I might have messed them up. However it was real bad. I made a lot of assumptions about rules based on things I'd read here and never read them carefully. So I never smited only the closest target etc, which, well, I wondered why it was so strong! My enemies list was 3 dunecrawlers and 1 tech priest. I struggled, my rubrics moved forwards with ahriman, out into the open, we had nowhere near enough line of sight blocking terrain. No matter where I moved I was in view of all 3. Either way I moved into the open, tried to warp time them and failed, so they stayed where they were. I forgot to use my squad psykers, failed so many rolls in turn 1, failed prescience on my forgefiend and it was downhill from there.

The rubric squad got brought down to 2 men instantly, failed morale and died. Leaving me with Ahriman and a Forgefiend. To be fair, they did super well. Ahriman tanked two turns of shooting from everything they got, 2 and a half I'd say anyway. The game ended with my forgefiend on the table and the enemy had on dunecrawler left. We were doing tactical objectives, didn't have cards for them and had never played them before and kept :cussing up them rules, victory points got super complicated but either way my enemy finished with 1 VP above me.

Another mistake came in here, for some reason I misread warptime, I thought it had an 18 inch range... I want to die... I also got confused with prescience somewhere and thought it was reroll 1s to hit... My god...

Game two, 1000 points, I made the same mistakes with the psychic spells as above. I took 10x rubrics, ahriman, exalted sorcerer, 5 termies, and Magnus. Oh boy... First turn deep struck termies in front of his army, warp timed them into place.. And they obliterated a squad of infantry instantly before assaulting.. I didn't expect this firepower. My plan was to get them stuck in combat so he couldn't shoot them (I forgot you can move out of combat too!) So.. His 3 dunecrawlers, 3 grav tracked things, obliterated them instantly. I forgot the psykers in the squads for the first half of the game. My rubric and exalted were on one flank whilst I played Magnus and Ahriman super aggressive on the right. Ahriman lost 4 mortal wounds from rust stalkers charging him and rolling 6s...

The game got extremely close. At the start he didn't think it was worth shooting Magnus, so after obliterating the termies he moved onto Ahriman/Rubrics doing minimal damage. Before he realised that he could for sure hurt Magnus. At the end of the game I had Magnus (two wounds left), 9x marines, ahriman (on one wound left) and an exalted sorcerer (2 wounds left)... If I had got the psychic rules right it'd be a lot fairer of a game in his advantage and I feel terrible for it..

Either way what have I learnt? Magnus is great but I probably should have worked on a more all round army. I definitely need to learn to use termies properly, I also need to find out how to bring down Dunecrawlers properly.. Also damn Termies are great at shooting in rapid range!!!

I hoping my first game is Sunday with a buddy, his first time also. I expect us to make lots of mistakes though neither of us will be concerned with winning, just getting the feel for the rules.

If it was a good friend no harm done though an aquantince at the club might feel different. As long as he or she understood it was your 1st game though I bet some people might think folks are cheating rather than getting rules wrong.

I have read that Los blocking terrain makes for a more fun game.

Thanks for sharing, I am sure your next games will play out better.

It was indeed a good friend I have spoke to him and we have discussed it we are going to rematch!

What do you guys run as your anti tank or do you not bother? I was guessing about running some havoc launcher guys but using things that aren't tzeentchy is something I wanted to keep to a minimum and already have a forgefiend.. is anything in the demon section of tzeentch good for it?

My anti tank is dreadnoughts.  One has twin las and chainfist, the other twin las and missile launcher.  There is also a lot of nice forge world stuff to use, Leviathans are just bonkers.  Sorcerer with a jump pack is also nice to be able to move around a bit and get some warp times around the board and give that maulerfiend, or other close combat stuff a boost.

What's the feeling on Tzaangors in terms of weapon choices?

Are the potential extra attacks from the pistols worth it over the immediate Ap-1 from the blades, or won't Tzaangors survive long enough to use them?

I find the blades to be much more valueable against most targets. Since they are now S4, they can damage even most vehicles on a 5+. So a Rhino would have to save wounds on a 4+ etc. Against hordes of GEQ etc the pistols might be better.

Thanks for the thoughts! I was leaning towards blades myself - I like the GrimDark gothicness of pistols and chainswords, the sci fi/fantasy mix, but I think the blades look better, and probably perform better in game.

Next unit can be pistols maybe.

I've found that the occasional wound from the pistol is usually enough to finish off most transport or characters that my Maulerfiend has put work on.

Edit: This could be read out of context as me seeing one option in the favor of the other. They can serve a purpose.

I've been using Tzangors less conventionally. If your intent is to charge them and have them lock into combat exclusively go swords. I tend to parking lot my units on obejectives with my back line as the rest of my squad is made to be pretty aggressive with flamers, spawn, and Magnus. Additionally I'll fallback my Tzangors to get shots with my Rubrics more often than not if I've had to move them forward as I'm more likely to wound with the Bolters. If my Tzangors are alive in the end I've done something wrong or I've scored some lucky rolls.

More Goats for the Goat God.

Apologies off the bat if this is a stupid question but regarding Thousand Sons and faction keywords: If I am putting together a battalion detachment primarily of Thousand Sons units (rubricae, scarabs, etc.) can I include in the same detachment a squad of havocs? They might not be allowed the specific Thousand Sons faction keyword but they still have the Chaos and Heretic Astartes faction keywords, so does this qualify them as being from the same faction for detachment purposes? Or do they need to match up all faction keywords?

From the description in the main rules it sounds like they don't have to match every keyword. But then our Thousand Sons entry makes it sound like some units are just unavailable for selection.

"This means that if a Space Marine Captain was part of a Detachment with the restriction that all units must be from the same Faction, all other units in that Detachment must either be from the Imperium Faction, or they must all be from the Adeptus Astartes Faction."

Ethrion, all units in a detachment need to share at least one keyword. "Chaos" will do. Still, the units themselves need to have a "legion" keyword chosen for them. So you can have Rubricae and sorcerers who are Thousand Sons fighting with havocs in the same detachment, but the havocs themselves can't be thousand sons and have to choose a different Legion keyword. Perhaps a warband allied to your sorcerer cabal?

Archived