Casual 30k Hobby Challenge. Month 1

Frostmourne

Instead of yellow, did you try a golden orange with yellow highlights as an IF scheme? Might be easier to achieve and I've seen some pictures online of orange-ier Imperial Fists that looked pretty good.

I am not really feeling the colour scheme either. I've seen some amazing IF armies out there. But so by people at a much better painting level than I'm at and with much more patience. I also have found, as I'm such a huge fan of mk III armour, that painting the black trim on the armour was soul-destroying.

Think it's best I just change and accept defeat on this one

Well for ur templar bretherin at least couldnt you try a more black and yellow colour scheme? Dont actually own the FW books so not sure if they've been given a definite scheme in there.

Would cut down on the amount of yellow you have to deal with

I am not really feeling the colour scheme either. I've seen some amazing IF armies out there. But so by people at a much better painting level than I'm at and with much more patience. I also have found, as I'm such a huge fan of mk III armour, that painting the black trim on the armour was soul-destroying.

Think it's best I just change and accept defeat on this one

Just treat the yellow as your own pain glove do our father proud triumph over adversity n all that lol

A technique I found useful for painting yellow, is to start with a base of dwarf flesh. 2nd coat should then be elf flesh. Finally, a golden yellow wash should set it off. You'll end up with a rich yellow colour and you can edge highlight as normal (golden yellow mixed with white).

I use this all he time and the best thing about it is that you can start off from a black base.

A technique I found useful for painting yellow, is to start with a base of dwarf flesh. 2nd coat should then be elf flesh. Finally, a golden yellow wash should set it off. You'll end up with a rich yellow colour and you can edge highlight as normal (golden yellow mixed with white).

I use this all he time and the best thing about it is that you can start off from a black base.

I fully may be stealing that once FW release Sigi n Dorn n drag me back to the VIIth cheers bud :)

No worries bud. I can't emphasise this enough but make sure the paint is thin to give you those even coats - this will give you a nice finish. Best bit is if you make a mistake, you start from the base again, build it up back up and it looks good as new.

Also, there's also this neat resource in the Imperial Fists sub forum : http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/279955-imperial-fists-resources/?p=3456440

Lots of guides (some are pretty old, but are quite good) on how to paint yellow. 

I know this because I too had/have problems painting yellow and am currently trying as many of these as I can :P

I think what I might do is paint the 'mk II under armour' a dark iron if I'm going to persevere with the Fists and then do just the mk III top plates in yellow.

I think I'm just gonna stop for a mo, have a looksie through the books and see how I feel

Well, the under armor in dark and only having the overplates yellow, to me at least, looks a lot nicer and provides more contrast than YEEEEELLLLOOOOWWWW. Which is why, after seeing some variant schemes, enjoy the 40k scheme a bit less.

But yeah, theres always the "all black with yellow helm and shoulders" schemes in extermination which might prove to be your salvation if you truly want to do IF.

Archived