++ Iron Within, Iron Without An Iron Warriors Community ++

I meant to put this up here a while ago, But this is my WIP for my Iron Warriors based army,

Planning a new thread tomorrow (or even sunday) on my Iron Warriors. 

But thought I would share my photo of the whole of my Black Crusade. 

Such awesome armies.

Hello fellow war smiths. I'm the captain and I own several thousand points of iron warriors. Perhaps in a later post, I can show you some pictures of my war Smith and his forces.

I haven't touched My forces last edition because I was so disappointed with the rules, instead I focused on my Kabal of the tainted Reborn.

Anyway: I got the idea (for quite some time actually) to fields an Army of a Hellforge. I mean some crazy...um genius and creative Warp smiths that build their own Forgeworld. Not Really Any other Space Maines. So what do you do to defend yourself? Demon engines or take a Hellbrute. Or Many of them. It does not have to be an iron Warrior inside of that.

So I'm thinking about an Army consisting only of some warp smiths and Hellbrute walkers. Maybe 30 cultists too. Maybe. Now my question:

What would you arm those walkers with if you'd field several of them?

Decided to take my first steps back down this dark path by making a simple kitbash. This model was meant to be a Sorcerer but honestly they're so plain that I think they're going to have to do for an Icon Bearer; I'll have to do a bit more looking to find an appropriate model to use/convert into a Sorcerer.

ac23908fbc88d81ac6129b945385c462.png

Edit: So I've been giving it some thought and I think that I might keep my Iron Warriors models essentially as they are, perhaps presenting them as a force of relatively "pure" traitors who have been lost in the warp for a long spell from some point after the Heresy, and instead paint up any 40k CSM units that I add to them in the future as a warband of Steel Brethren they've forced to heel. It provides a bit of an excuse for the major dissonance between 30k Legionaries and models like the Defiler and dinobots, and doing things this way also picks up on one of the ideas that I really rather liked in Cult of the Warmason.

Edited by Commander Dawnstar

So I'm looking for three things and trying to find anyone third party company that makes them.

First - Iron warrior vehicle conversion or upgrade elements.

Second - Daemon Prince jet/jump pack ..... not spellcrow as that is nurgle, I'm thinking more a tech feel.

Third - Terminator weapons - Termi combi plasma and termi power swords.  

@CptMetal - The big problem with that is like with any other edition, low model counts have to be played quite differently and the loss of one model means a lot more. On the other hand if you can line charges up right and get the shots where you need them to go you can have a hard hitting army. It all depends on play style. I've seen some armies centered around vehicles/mechs do well and sometimes it goes horribly wrong. Load out wise I would say it all depends on what you are facing against. A lot of vehicles? Probably twin las. A lot of infantry? Rocket launcher/auto cannon/that sort of them. Very situational.

@balordazul - To my knowledge I don't know of any but there are a number of kitbashes you could do. Vehicle conversion wise FW makes some reinforced armor kits that wouldn't require too much work to turn to Chaos. Daemon prince jump packs are a little harder but taking bits from a landspeeders turbines and some large barrels from tanks (think vindicator or so sized barrels) you could easily make the jump pack. Combi plas, well thats a bit harder, would require a lot of chopping to do yourself. But power swords? Easy. Just check out the AoS range and grab a box that suites your needs for the swords and change it out.

That the new topic up & running for my Iron Warriors 5th Grand Company, after the issue with photobucket, along with up to date photos of units in this collection

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/336629-iron-warriors-5th-grand-company-project-black-crusade/

Also though I'd show the Basilisk I've just built today

Like a few other units in my Iron Warriors force. I use to have a Basilisk when I first started them. It was part of my Conflict Scotland force with Warsmith Abhorred Riddick, with his unit of Chosen led by Narach. Sorcerer Kurll along side there Land Raider Transport. With squad Iupatus Proeliator & Be Graphicus, along side Obliterators & my unit of Khorne Berserker.

This will use the rules from the Forge World Index book.

gallery_13342_13449_72871.jpg

gallery_13342_13449_120709.jpg

Crew - I wanted a Iron Warrior to be the commander of the tank. Trust in a Veteran of the Long war & a Dark mechanicus tech-priest to chant pray to the Chaos Gods as the shells fire.

For the Iron Warrior, I wanted to use the bare head from the Iron Hand model from the Deathwatch Over-kill box game, find it more fitting for the theme & narrative I want for this model.

​I'm not sure what else to add or if anything else need to be added to this tank. I'm going to look back that some past Iron Warriors armies I've save photos of from the forum for reference & conversion idea.

med_gallery_13342_13449_22868.jpg

gallery_13342_13449_20959.jpg

gallery_13342_13449_89785.jpg

Edited by Insane Psychopath

@Insane Psychopath, I personally would have some type of mortal loading the shell. I like the presence of the marine, but maybe he would have better to have him at the cupola and then some mutant slaves with the Dark mechanicus tech-priest on the firing step. 

I know this is the edition of spam but that seems to be every edition to me.  I'm looking at IW as a siege army but trying to take advantage of maxing out my Command Point pool to use the stratagems to make an effective IW force.  I plan on building a 9CP and a 6CP IW force and see what I'm using for my CP consumption.  You have more unit flexibility in the 6CP build but I'm not sure if I will have enough CP.

I started with IW in the later part of 5th as they looked very interesting via the lore in 3.5 but were considered very strong in 3.5 and I did not have a desire to play something that was over the top or have the social gaming stigma attached to that.  But after reading Storm of Iron and at that point having the Gav Thorpe water down codex I started collecting IW for fun. 

Iron warriors choices of siege.  I'm looking at ranged support for IW in the new codex.  This is not taking into account melee focused units.  Also this post will be looking at some of the stratagems and the priority I see them being used by myself.  A lot of my opinions are not going to be a shock to any long term IW players.

Units note focused on and why.
Terminators - I did not include Termies as I'm note sure how well they will work with IW gun line. 

Mauler Fiend - They seem fine but they don't fall into the focus on ranged units that I'm looking at here.  

Edit!
Landraider - I see this as a transport but if you are wanting to use this as a heavy armor fire support tank go for it.  

Common buffs to consider is the Lord of Chaos and psychic power Prescience.   Consider to have more than one model with the Lord of Chaos rule or also include a Daemon prince. 

Oblits 195 points, 9 wounds, 2+ save 5++ worst attack is equal to a set of three 24" range reapers. Best attack is a S9 -3 AP 3 damage attack x12.

Suggested Stratagems: Veteran of the long war stratagem 1CP (ranged), Endless Cacophony, Iron Within, Iron Without.
Note: You can use VotLW and Endless Cacophony stratagems on the same unit but they don't overlap. As VotLW lasts until the end of the shooting phase and Endless Cacophony happens at the end of the shooting phase.  Still good for an alpha strike.  

Pros: Way better than the index and are basically heavy armor special/heavy weapons unit.
Cons: The range means you will most likely DS them but this seems to be the edition for alpha strikes so that might not be an issue.  If your games are not determined on turn 1 and 2 these guys at 24" range are in prime location to be countered by most enemy units.  

Flesh metal guns - Take a look at how they have this rule worded you are rolling to see what the flesh metal guns profile will be before you even pick at target to shoot at.  Also there are not many timing trigger restriction currently for stratagems and that might be the point of them.  For example you could roll to hit with your Oblits and find out that you either rolled well or really bad.  If rolled well on your hits depending on the target and what you roll for flesh metal guns you can then choose to use the VotLW stratagem.  

Final thoughts: The Obliterators are looking much better, between the weapon change and stratagems.  They will no long be our go to range support unit and will die relatively fast as the 24" range puts them in harms way.  

Havocs - Lets do the break down of min squads to squads on par with points / wounds with oblits.
Minimal squad size
5 havocs is 65 and equipped with 
4 Heavy Bolters is 105
4 ML or LC is 165
4 AC is 145

Equal in wounds to oblits
9 havocs is 117 and equipped with 
4 Heavy Bolters is 157
4 ML or LC is 217
4 AC is 197

Close to obit cost
Max Havoc squad with 4 Heavy Bolters is 170 points.
7 man Havoc squad with 4 ML or LC is 191 points
9 man Havoc squad with 4 AC is 197 points

Suggested Stratagems: Veteran of the long war stratagem 1CP (ranged), Endless Cacophony, Iron Within, Iron Without. 
Note:  You can use them in a similar way to Oblits but with the range you are also able to pare them with the Lord of Chaos buff and Prescience to vastly improve the units hit chance.  

Pros: We know ML havocs are good as people are spamming them on the competitive level.  We also have access to AC and this has always been a good go to weapon. 
Cons: Not much cover in the game now to help provide a defensive buff.  You no longer have cheap heavy bolter units but the heavy bolter is still a very good weapon.

Final thoughts: These guys are very solid choice with some good advantages over Oblits with a few drawbacks.  My personal favorite still falls back to the AC havocs combining good volume of fire, static damage of 2 and wounding T3 on +2.  Also being able to wound up to T6 on 2+ with VotLW.

Predators
Predator tri lasscannon is 190 + 11 for havoc = 201
Dakka Pred is 158 +11 for havoc = 169
Predator AC with two LC 188 + 11 for havoc = 199

Suggested Stratagems: Kill Shot Stratagem 1CP (ranged only)
Note: Right now, I'm planning on trying out three Dakka Predators paired with a bare bones Chaos lord for the re-roll 1's to hit.   The Pred Autocannon is a good anti multi wound target weapon as it does a static 3 damage but only reduces the armor save by 1.  You also never get less than 2 shots with the weapon as it is 2D3.  The heavy bolter is still really nice with the -1 AP and being S5 lets you wound even T8 on 5s.  The range of these weapons means you don't need to move them right away so you will not be taking the move and shoot penalty.  Also put on a Havoc launcher for an extra punch.  

Pairing these models with the Kill Shot stratagem means monsters and vehicles are going to take some heavier damage at only a cost of 1CP.  Kill Shot "add 1 to wound rolls and damage", so that makes the Pre AC, havoc launcher and heavy bolters wounding T8 on 4s.  Also adding 1 to the damage makes the havoc launcher and heavy bolters 2 damage and Pred AC 4 damage vs the correct targets.  

Pros:  The predator has not been this good in many additions and even the standard dakka pred is a good choice now.  Mix and match the load out as needed to account for your local meta.  You can also add a combi-plasma for 15 or a cheap combi-bolter for 2 points if you have some extra points to play with.  I'm not sure how much you will be getting out of those editions as you will want your pred far from combat.  
Cons: You need three predators to get this to work and when you lose one kill shot is done.  Also if you want to keep them alive you need a warpsmtih and he is near 76 points after gear.

Final thoughts: Love these guys but it is a points investment to get them on the table.  No they are not artillery but armored firepower is still very fluffy for IW.  

Defiler 153 + 15+ 11 = 179 (reaper + havoc)

Suggested Stratagems: Daemon forged Stratagem 1CP 
Note: You need a lot to get ranged daemon engines to work well.  As it needs either the lord of chaos buff and/or a psycher to help its hit chance.  But the stratagem of Daemonforge lets you re-roll to hit and to wound in either the shooting or combat phase.  So you can up the chance of them doing ok.  

Pros: Great range with a battle cannon and this unit had gotten a lot cheaper with the unit point drop and reaper reduction.  Most importantly this unit is fluffy and a wonderful counter assault unit when the enemy gets close.  Self healing and 5++. Edit! You can take a combi-weapon also but as they are short range you need to find a roll for this.  The combi-flamer close range but does offset the low hit chance of a defiler.
Con: It takes a lot for this unit to pull their weight as it is a hybrid leaving you better choices for a focused ranged unit.

Final Thoughts: YAY it is cheaper and close to a reasonably cost again.  Plus this is a iconic unit for CSM and it will be good to see them on the table.  The hybrid nature of this unit is good and bad so work with it or take something that fits your play style. 

Forgefiend is 119 + 50 = 169 (double hades)

Suggested Stratagems: Daemon forged Stratagem 1CP 
Note: You need a lot to get ranged daemon engines to work well.  As it needs either the lord of chaos buff and/or a psycher to help its hit chance.  But the stratagem of Daemonforge lets you re-roll to hit and to wound in either the shooting or combat phase.  So you can up the chance of them doing ok.  

Pro: Cool looking model and fluffy being a daemon engine.Self healing and 5++.
Cons: Low range, over costed and bad hit chance like the defiler.  Being a ranged focused unit you have many options that out class this unit.  It is not so bad that you can't make it work if you love the model but I find it to be at the bottom of the barrel for ranged support CSM.

Final Thoughts: I wish this unit had something else going for it as the model is cool but limited range on the ecto-plas and reduced strength is goofy.  The hades are cool if this unit could hit ok or did not degrade with damage.  I'm skipping it for this edition unless it gets another adjustment.

Heldrake 138+30+17 = 185 (bale flamer + claws)

Suggested Stratagems: Daemon forged Stratagem 1CP (best in fight phase) 
Note: Turn one assault re-rolling hits and wounds with this stratagem is great.  No this not a ranged focus unit but a awesome distraction unit.

Pro: FAST, cheaper and makes julienne fries. Self healing and 5++.
Cons: I still want a CSM fighter craft like in the IW Siege book that is not a FW models.

Final Thoughts: If you have room one is always good.  

Helbrute 72 + 15 + 25 = 112 (reaper + ML)

Suggested Stratagems: Fire Frenzy stratagem 
Note: Fire Frenzy is used in the shooting phase right before the helbrute fires but the model can not have moved in the movement phase.  It fires all weapons twice at the closest visible target.  This is why I went for reaper and ML being cheap and versatile.

Pro: You can build them in many different ways and these guys do not degrade. 
Cons: T7 with a 3+ is not hard to kill so they will die fast when focused on. 

Final Thoughts: I like dreads at long range to keep them out of heavy amount of short ranged firepower that is in the game.  T7 3++ gets chewed up within 24" to small arms fire.  The load here is a cheap build but not a heavy hitter as twin LC is.  

Here is my stratagem priority if and when I have the units above on the table.

Shooting
Stratagems
1: Kill shot preds
2: Commander - ReRoll
3: VotLW
4: Endless Cacophony 
5: Fire Frenzy
6: Daemon Forge

Combat phase
Stratagems
1: Daemon Forge
2: Commander - ReRoll
3: VotLW

Other notable Stratagems
Iron Within, Iron Without - Solid extra save when needed.
Tide of Traitors - Huge with IW as we can support the low LD cultists our warlord trait but costs 2cp. 
Edited by balordazul

Thanks for the great review @balordazul, that is very helpful and must have taken ages!

I'm a bit surprised not to see a an tactics discussion here yet? I guess I'll start things off having brooded over having to beat my Elder "friend" in our next game after getting whipped with my Dark Eldar before. He's not super competitive but still only ever brings strong armies and knows how to play them. He really likes his wraith units usually bringing a unit of d-flamers in a Serpent and the flyer. Then a fair amount of Guardians, some Dark Reapers, a unit of Fire Dragons in a transport and some jetbikes. Usually a psyker, too. He's also taken a liking to Striking Scorpions but those haven't performed well so far. I realized that in most games he likes to just hang back and let the enemy come to him, and most of the time we oblige as silly as that is now looking back.

With that in mind I'm fairly certain that we can play that game even better. Dig in and pour fire onto the frail Eldar until there's nothing left.

I plan on bringing:

Chaos Lord for the re-rolls

Sicaran Battle Tank for its general awesomeness and help deal with the flyer

Whirlwind Scorpius because 6D3 S6 shots are just what the Warsmith ordered to deal with T3 models

A unit of Havocs, probably with Missile Launchers

A Quad-Heavy-Bolter Rapier because I hear it's good

2 units of Cultists, or maybe 1 big one to wrap my gunline

A Hellwright to fix my tanks and because I need to bring one for the Forgeworld units if I'm not mistaken

A unit of Slaanesh Terminators (for the stratagem) with an accompanying Sorcerer to cast Prescience. These will hit a flank and distract the Eldar from my gunline, and also threaten forward objectives.

3 single Spawn to discourage deep strikers and claim objectives.

Seems solid to me, what say my fellow Warsmiths?

PS: Is there any good fluff for Iron Warriors? I'd like to read up on them to stoke my motivation.

PS: Is there any good fluff for Iron Warriors? I'd like to read up on them to stoke my motivation.

There a whole list on the first page, under Iron Library - Black Library.  Listing the Horus Heresy & 40k novels.  It only more recent that need to be added to the list.

Storm of Iron the one ever Iron Warrior hobbiest should own.

Angel exterminatus was the book that galvanized the iron inside me

Storm of iron is a good shout but my favorite BL stuff is spread over the beast arises series following warsmith kalkator which inspired a lot of fluff for my grand company

I still need to try get around reading Echo's of the Long war.

Feel free post up some spoiler on Warsmith Kalkator, just use the spoiler tag when posting - special BBC code, it the box to the left on the font box when type a post (not fast reply) for anyone who never use spoiler tags.

The battle of Paramar is extremely good as well. Follows the 77th Grand Battalion who went for resupply at a depot at the same time the Alpha Legion was trying to capture it for the Warmaster. No one had bothered to inform them that the IW went traitor and the Alpha Legion didn't know the IW didn't know and thought the Warmaster was testing them.

Guest uk_crow

The battle of Paramar is extremely good as well. Follows the 77th Grand Battalion who went for resupply at a depot at the same time the Alpha Legion was trying to capture it for the Warmaster. No one had bothered to inform them that the IW went traitor and the Alpha Legion didn't know the IW didn't know and thought the Warmaster was testing them.

That's one of my favourite parts of the FW black books.

Angel Exterminatus and Storm of Iron are probably the best books IMO for IW fluff, I've reread them multiple times.

I'm just about to start a new IW 40k force and this is what I've got planned at the moment:

HQ

Daemon Prince, Fleshmetal (Warlord)

Terminator Lord

Elites

5x Terminators

Helbrute

Troops

5x CSM

5x CSM

5x CSM

Dedicated Transports

rhino

rhino

Heavy Support

5x Havocs, 4x autocannons

What do you think? I've bought the models, but the loadout is undecided.

I was thinking about getting a tri las predator or 2 next?? I'd then put them in a spearhead detachment with warpsmith and the havocs.

Edited by TheAngryNomad

1k points? Looks solid for a small force. My vote for upgrade would be a las pred and more bodies and definitely upgrade the rhinos to dakka rhinos. They have the durability now, why not. Pick a role for the marine squads. Have one whose job is taking and holding objectives with a heavy weapon while the others are equipped for hand to hand work.

So taking into account my view on the ranged elements that I posted further up this page. It does require the Brigade Detachment for 9 CP.  As I said I was more of a casual fun collector of IW and only really taking them to one RTT with a win during 5th.  Most of my collection is marines, havocs, obits and termies and defilers plus one Ven.  

So with this list I will be mostly needing to create it from the ground up.  The Brigade is a bit silly as it needs a lot of slots filled to take it.  3 HQ - 6 Troops - 3 Elites - 3 Fast - 3 Heavy

Near 2k points with a small amount of wiggle room.

HQs

Warlord - DP with Fleshmetal and sword (Nurgle) - Prescience - IW warlord trait

Sorcerer - Force sword, Prescience (not sure who to dedicate him two so I'm going to try it out a few ways)

Warsmith (lord) - mostly cheap for the lord of chaos buff for the predators.

Troops

40 - Cultists with Autoguns 

40 - Cultists with Autoguns 

10 - Cultists with Autoguns

Elites - note this is cheap options that fits the theme

Helbrute (Reaper and ML)

Helbrute (Reaper and ML)

Helbrute (Reaper and ML)

Fast - Filler plus they will be my chaff 

1 Spawn

1 Spawn

1 Spawn

Heavy

Predator - Pred AC, heavy bolters, havoc launcher

Obliterators 

Guest uk_crow

Nice list balordazul, those cultists will be a nightmare to shift with the IW trait!

1k points? Looks solid for a small force. My vote for upgrade would be a las pred and more bodies and definitely upgrade the rhinos to dakka rhinos. They have the durability now, why not. Pick a role for the marine squads. Have one whose job is taking and holding objectives with a heavy weapon while the others are equipped for hand to hand work.

So with my planned loadout it's currently clocking in at 1250:

All combi meltas with a mixture of power axes & chainfists on terminators,

Reaper AC and fist on helbrute

Plasma in CSM squads

autocannons on havocs

combi bolter & havoc launcher on rhino

I'm contemplating taking 2 10 man CSM squads in the rhinos, a big cultist blob and a second havoc squad with missile launchers. Then a las pred or 2 depending on points.

Hello, fellow Warsmiths, Grand Captains and other officers of the Glorious Fourth!

I've always wanted a Chaos Space Marine army, and a long time ago I started collecting a Slaaneshi warband. It ended up scattered and broken, quite quickly. Then a couple of years back I was rummaging through my bits boxes and discovered that I had enough figures to make a 2nd Edition Chaos Marine army (at the time I was playing 2nd Edition again).

In the period between the end of my first attempt at a Chaos Space Marine force and the creation of the 6th Cohort, 12th Grand Company, I was commissioned to paint Iron Warriors and fell in love with the paint scheme. It didn't hurt that I'd also read (and re-read) Storm of Iron too.

So it was inevitable that my bits-box army would be IRON WARRIORS.

I decided that I would theme my army around a Cohort of Iron Warriors held together by the personal strength of will of their Siege-Captain, Kuhl Leng, and his Terminators - the Sworn Men - in the name of the Long War, Perturabo, and the Dark Pantheon... meanwhile his officers are slowly slipping into the worship of an individual power and threatening to split the Cohort into disparate warbands.

Thus we have:

Siege-Captain Kuhl Leng, true Iron Warrior officer, bearer of the Black Mace, commander of the 6th Cohort by the will of Perturabo and the Dark Gods.

Qorl Vayne, Sorceror-Librarian, (dis)loyal and (not) trusted advisor, disciple of Tzeentch, schemer and plotter, bearer of the deaemon-blade ingharad-ul and Master of the Whispering Slave.

The Skin-Taker, Lieutenant, devotee of Slaanesh, decadent flenser of flesh, addict of suffering and admirer of the beauty of pain.

Techmarine Koczan, (actually) loyal and trusted advisor of the Siege-Captain, adept of the Dark Mechanicus, veteran of the Long War and unfeeling killer.

Apothecary, Xedan Xor, the Tainted One, who worships Nurgle, and who keeps the Cohort fighting.

Varsek Dejan, Cohort Champion, the bloody-handed one, violent commander of the worshippers of Khorne, the marine you want to punch a hole in a defence line.

Varsek, Xedan, the Skin-Taker and Koczan are all just Iron Warrior squad commanders, but they have a part to play in the background of my army (as you can see).

Each character leads a unit of Iron Warriors, and commands a Cult unit - 9 Possessed, 8 Bezerkers, 7 Plague Marines, 6 Noise Marines - as well as having a unit of Cultists, a unit of Daemons (although these units are too small to field in 8th Edition really, I'll have to bump them up from the Sacred Number to a multiple thereof) and a Special Unit (e.g. a Slaaneshi-oriented Dreadnought, or a unit of Raptors or what-have-you).

So the army is a group of warbands led by the Siege-Captain. Then there's the Daemon-Touched...

Daemon Prince Jygganarag the Steel-Skinned, who was once a proud Iron Warrior, who walked the Path to Glory and was blessed with Daemonhood. Kuhl Leng and Qorl Vayne tricked and trapped and enslaved them for nine times nine thousand years, or until every last member of the 6th Cohort is dead. Jygganarag 'leads' the Daemon Engines and Chaos Spawn that the Cohort has bought, traded, or stolen over the years.

Some pictures will follow! :)

So in an attempt to play to our Legion strengths I came up with a 2k test list that plays to our strengths

Battalion Detachment

HQ

Daemon Prince - Warp Bolter, Malefic Talons, Fleshmetal Exoskeleton, Mark of Slaanesh, Slaanesh Psychic power. Warlord - Iron Within Iron Without Warlord trait.

Chaos Lord - Bolter, Bolt Pistol, Power Axe

Sorcerer in Terminator Armour - Force Axe, Combi Bolter, Psychic powers: Warp Time, Prescience

Elites

5 Terminators - 3 Combi Plasma, 1 Combi Flamer, 1 Heavy Flamer, 1 power sword, 1 power mace, 2 power Axes, 1 power fist, MoK, Banner of Wrath.

Hell Brute - Twin Heavy Bolter, Missile Launcher

Hell Brute - Reaper Autocannon, Missile Launcher

Hell Brute - Plasma Cannon Missile Launcher

Troops

28 Cultists - Autoguns, 2 Heavy Stubbers

10 Chaos - Plasma Gun, Bolters, Lascannon

Heavy Support

5 Havocs - 4 Missile Launchers

5 Havocs - 4 Autocannons

3 Obliterators

The Plan with this army is to have the Cultists and CSM go up the centre, being the big blob, the Daemon Prince hold them together, then daisy chaining to get objectives where needed using Slaanesh 5++ on them where to grant greater staying power along with the Tide of Traitors strategem and Iron Within Iron Without. They are the capture objectives guys. The Hellbrutes and Havocs are the Firebase with the Lord granting Re-roll 1's to them, they are the firesupport and kill the opponent side. The Terminators, Obliterators and Terminator Sorcerer are the Deep strike attack, the Sorcerer casting Presience on the Obliterators and Warptime on the Terminators who go to make a mess. These are there to take out priority targets such as Commissars, tanks etc. and spilt the enemy force.

General idea is to to be attrition in the centre with cultists, with the Firebase and deep strikers being the strong right and left hooks. 

Likely Strategems used:

Tide of Traitors

Veterans of the Long War

Iron Within Iron Without

Fire Frenzy (Especially against Deep strikers)

The Battalion the detachment where you need, 2 HQ & 3 troops?  Was going to say, you could always add a Spearhead detachment with one of the HQ chose & the Heavy Support.  May be just one extra command point.  But with the new codex that could help a bit

So in an attempt to play to our Legion strengths I came up with a 2k test list that plays to our strengths

Battalion Detachment

HQ

Daemon Prince - Warp Bolter, Malefic Talons, Fleshmetal Exoskeleton, Mark of Slaanesh, Slaanesh Psychic power. Warlord - Iron Within Iron Without Warlord trait.

Chaos Lord - Bolter, Bolt Pistol, Power Axe

Sorcerer in Terminator Armour - Force Axe, Combi Bolter, Psychic powers: Warp Time, Prescience

Elites

5 Terminators - 3 Combi Plasma, 1 Combi Flamer, 1 Heavy Flamer, 1 power sword, 1 power mace, 2 power Axes, 1 power fist, MoK, Banner of Wrath.

Hell Brute - Twin Heavy Bolter, Missile Launcher

Hell Brute - Reaper Autocannon, Missile Launcher

Hell Brute - Plasma Cannon Missile Launcher

Troops

10 Chaos - Plasma Gun, Bolters, Lascannon

Heavy Support

5 Havocs - 4 Missile Launchers

5 Havocs - 4 Autocannons

3 Obliterators

The Plan with this army is to have the Cultists and CSM go up the centre, being the big blob, the Daemon Prince hold them together, then daisy chaining to get objectives where needed using Slaanesh 5++ on them where to grant greater staying power along with the Tide of Traitors strategem and Iron Within Iron Without. They are the capture objectives guys. The Hellbrutes and Havocs are the Firebase with the Lord granting Re-roll 1's to them, they are the firesupport and kill the opponent side. The Terminators, Obliterators and Terminator Sorcerer are the Deep strike attack, the Sorcerer casting Presience on the Obliterators and Warptime on the Terminators who go to make a mess. These are there to take out priority targets such as Commissars, tanks etc. and spilt the enemy force.

General idea is to to be attrition in the centre with cultists, with the Firebase and deep strikers being the strong right and left hooks. 

Likely Strategems used:

Tide of Traitors

Veterans of the Long War

Iron Within Iron Without

Fire Frenzy (Especially against Deep strikers)