++ Iron Within, Iron Without An Iron Warriors Community ++

Also point out as replied over on the 40k facebook page, the 6+ feel no pain is back but cost 1 command point.

Relic, one can be taken for free.  Any further once need to be bought with command points for character.

Also a rely on Marks.  Pretty much IW, Word Bearer, Night Lords, Alpha Legion can take mix marks if they wish.

Also point out as replied over on the 40k facebook page, the 6+ feel no pain is back but cost 1 command point.

Relic, one can be taken for free.  Any further once need to be bought with command points for character.

Also a rely on Marks.  Pretty much IW, Word Bearer, Night Lords, Alpha Legion can take mix marks if they wish.

Free relic? Space Marines must pay, we get one for free ? That daemon prince relic is nifty!

Seems to be a lot of positivity for the IW rules. I don't know if it's just cause I'm a negative person but am I the only person thinking that it's a bit meh?

I mean to me it feels pretty cheap to be basically told IW are just silver Imperial Fists (as far as army wide rules go). Couldn't there be a little variety? Why not just play loyalists, then you get more fancy toys and call them IW in that case.

And the warlord trait, doesn't feel very gunline, siege breaker, ruthless. They're try to play it like oh IW have no emotions anymore. But that's not just one Warlord, I feel the Warlord trait should be more focused on tanks/artillery. Or long shot allowing your army (within 6'') to shoot into melee that has your own cultists in it? To show the kind of blatant disregard for squishy humans?

That all being said the relic is delightful.

The strategm again doesn't feel very IW to me, but is nice all the same. Shows the refusal to die I suppose.

I may just be overly negative as I said

Free relic? Space Marines must pay, we get one for free ? That daemon prince relic is nifty!

Space Marines get their first relic for free as well.

Space Marines get their first relic for free as well.

Yeah, just re-read the space marine codex and you are of course correct! :)

The legion trait feels uninspired. However the warlord trait and personal cp ability change the dynamic. I can play a horde of marines and cultists with this as the cultists will also be "iron warrior's". Better than commissars. Add in the 6+ fnp cp makes then a but more resilience.

Im okay with chaos marks being back in

The legion trait feels uninspired. However the warlord trait and personal cp ability change the dynamic. I can play a horde of marines and cultists with this as the cultists will also be "iron warrior's". Better than commissars. Add in the 6+ fnp cp makes then a but more resilience.

Agreed but without spending a crazy amount of money to get enough auto-gun cultist how does someone do that?  The GW cultist boxes are split between melee and ranged weapons and are still the snap fit versions.  

Ignore cover is OK. Not terribly exciting, but OK. I would have preferred something less situational, an all around buff to shooting or saves, but tactics/traits have always been a mixed bag for the players as a whole.

It looks like they're going to be pushing us to use utility psykers to buff units, which is probably the only way I would ever bother with psykers anyway.

I ran through a little thought of what an Iron Warrior army would look like now. 

HQ's

Daemon Prince with Flash metal and IW warlord Trait

Terminator Chaos Lord.

Warpsmith

Elites

Terminators!

Hellbrutes!

Troops 

max sized squads (hoping that the silly "2 special weapons only" rule disappears) CSMS

Max sized Cultist Squads

Fast Attack

Not as much as other armies, Helldrakes and Bikes I reckon

Heavy Support

Havocs

Predators.

TBH not many Vindicators (despite liking them).

Bastions for the Havocs to sit in and shoot out because my god they're good. But I guess that's me. On that note, can Havocs man the Heavy bolters in Bastions or are they stuck with the BS 5+ of the building?

This sort of army has a lot of firepower with Terminators dropping into the backfield with a horde moving up the front. It's difficult to kill as well.

My general 2500 list I am thinking

HQ

chaos lord

chaos terminator lord

R&H Psyker hq(spearhead command, I figured he would be more useful than the non-psyker commander)

chosen x5 rhino

terminators x5

Maybe a pair of marauder sniper teams. they are like 34ish points and would act as area denial and with everything else on the table, who is going to pay attention to 5 guardsmen?

tac marines x?

tac marines x?

tac marines x?

I call them tac marines because dammit, they are Legion still(and this is a former 30k army)

havocs

Dorito dreadnought

Spearhead with

2 Bombards

2 Medusa

2 Wyverns

Superheavy either a Typhon or more likely a Valdor since I think mass dice firepower is covered by the other 6 tanks and as much as I like my Typhon, its 540 points vs a Valdor which clocks in in the very low 400s and provides heavy anti-armor firepower. That said I might have to do the math. I could get a Cerebus for the same purpose although not sure on the points on it. If only Spartans were priced better and not super heavies. Grrr.

Depending on my new few games so I can see how the meta is developing I might just get a leviathan with twin gravitic bombards(I think we have that option) instead of the heavy. 

Agreed but without spending a crazy amount of money to get enough auto-gun cultist how does someone do that? The GW cultist boxes are split between melee and ranged weapons and are still the snap fit versions.

These are my Cultists.

gallery_63905_11231_383666.jpg

Some of the parts are now out of production, but I use

2- Boxes of Catachan Jungle Fighters

1- Box of Chaos Marauders (The Horsmen box is also good for heads but may be better to get via bits sellers)

I also had a box of the old empire Free Company, I put all these parts in segmented tray, (Heads in one pile, torsos in another). and then built 40 dudes, ~20 with 'lasguns/Autoguns' ~4 with flamers, ~16 with pistols and CC weapons.

I also use a mix of other older guardsmen as well, that I picked up from second hand shops, and bring and buys.

Agreed but without spending a crazy amount of money to get enough auto-gun cultist how does someone do that? The GW cultist boxes are split between melee and ranged weapons and are still the snap fit versions.

These are my Cultists.

gallery_63905_11231_383666.jpg

Some of the parts are now out of production, but I use

2- Boxes of Catachan Jungle Fighters

1- Box of Chaos Marauders (The Horsmen box is also good for heads but may be better to get via bits sellers)

I also had a box of the old empire Free Company, I put all these parts in segmented tray, (Heads in one pile, torsos in another). and then built 40 dudes, ~20 with 'lasguns/Autoguns' ~4 with flamers, ~16 with pistols and CC weapons.

I also use a mix of other older guardsmen as well, that I picked up from second hand shops, and bring and buys.

I agree best way to get Cultists is to use the Marauders box from Fantasy (if they still exist)

Use the other box of 40k cultists that comes with 10 auto guns, add chaos bits. The genestealer ones.

Use the other box of 40k cultists that comes with 10 auto guns, add chaos bits. The genestealer ones.

^ seriously this

Genestealer Cult models can be Chaos Cult models if you just replace the heads and GSC bitz with Chaos bitz.

I still think GW should've made it a Cult Codex with different kind of Cults including Genestealer and Chaos since honestly it's an extremely good basis for a Chaos Cult Codex rules-wise. :D

As someone who hasn't played Chaos since the good old days of Codex 3.5, I'm actually really liking the sound of this. I have a reasonably sized 30k Iron Warriors army that seems to fit pretty much exactly the army model you guys are talking about (lots of Tactical Marines, Terminators, Havocs, Contemptors and the like) and can't help but feel a little tempted to take the plunge and Chaos them up. There doesn't seem to be much of an active 30k community in my area so it'd be nice to finally get some games in with them.

Another chose for cultist - There also the Genestealer cult models with the autogun & shotgun. Could ether replace the head with Mechanicus once (talk to any friends or hobbiest you know who collect them) or maybe the Storm Troop head.

Warsmith Uveron - How the Renegade force getting on?

This is going to be converted into the Siege one that Chaos are allow from the Index Chaos book by Forge World. It going to be a little while until he built due to time & waiting on the new skulls to be release by Games Workshop which has 340 skulls in the pack, the Aug White Dwarf said that there release a box of skulls some point during the month. I also ended up mail order the Basilisk yesterday as well :D

gallery_13342_13449_68797.jpg

As someone who hasn't played Chaos since the good old days of Codex 3.5, I'm actually really liking the sound of this. I have a reasonably sized 30k Iron Warriors army that seems to fit pretty much exactly the army model you guys are talking about (lots of Tactical Marines, Terminators, Havocs, Contemptors and the like) and can't help but feel a little tempted to take the plunge and Chaos them up. There doesn't seem to be much of an active 30k community in my area so it'd be nice to finally get some games in with them.

Please post photos of the models on here.

As they are now or when finished, because I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for the latter XD

I'm the sort of person who takes absolutely forever to complete projects and haven't even started giving thought to what parts I would want to source to convert all those models. That and I'd want to both have the Codex in hand and have a solid idea of what my core list would look like so I can at least place some goalposts.

Edit: Actually while I'm on the subject, what do you guys think is the best loadout of special and/or heavy weapons to give a CSM squad?

Edited by Commander Dawnstar

Fellow 30k IW player who switched their army to a less chaosy chaos. I never liked the stupid dino-bot models so I have kept it to normal marines. I don't see IW as being very religious so I don't use anything that screams "CHAOS!" in my army, so its a ton of marines in mostly mark 4 armor and a boatload of cataphract terminators as in my opinion that and Tartoros is what most terminators should be wearing, but I just run it as normal termy armor. Hoping FW will eventually update HH for use in 30k seeing as it, as predicted, has effectively died, which means FW is going to have to update in order to keep its cash cow going.

One thing I have noticed this edition, everything aside from individual troops seem more expensive. They are definitely pushing bodies over chassis which kind of sucks for armies like IW who use both in large numbers. I initially started looking at building an IW army for 8th when the index came out and threw in all the fun stuff I liked to include in my 30k army that carried over and when I added things up I was close to 3k when I was looking for 2.  Tac squads are stupidly expensive compared to 30k so hordes like we used to run are far more expensive. Contemptors are fairly pricey as well. After extensive talks on different forums, the old trusty Typhon may be a dust collector. Going to replace it with a Cerebus at some point. Needless to say, large 30k horde style with backup  armies will run out of space stupidly quick in a 40k list.

Another chose for cultist - There also the Genestealer cult models with the autogun & shotgun. Could ether replace the head with Mechanicus once (talk to any friends or hobbiest you know who collect them) or maybe the Storm Troop head.

Warsmith Uveron - How the Renegade force getting on?

This is going to be converted into the Siege one that Chaos are allow from the Index Chaos book by Forge World. It going to be a little while until he built due to time & waiting on the new skulls to be release by Games Workshop which has 340 skulls in the pack, the Aug White Dwarf said that there release a box of skulls some point during the month. I also ended up mail order the Basilisk yesterday as well :D

gallery_13342_13449_68797.jpg

Please post photos of the models on here.

He is a lot bigger than a Siege. What about a Hellforged Leviathan?

I think the Leviathan is what Insane means. Leviathan Siege Dreadnought. I got myself one today but with the intent on turning it into a daemon prince. Going to add some growth with green stuff in the joints, give it a marine pilot like the venerables and add some mechatendrils. I'm thinking warp bolter and talons for weapons. 

I meant to put this up here a while ago, But this is my WIP for my Iron Warriors based army, although it is mostly daemons at the moment (which have been somewhat more Iron Warrior-esque), there are some marines and there will be more soon. Just wanting to get some feedback from some fellow sons of Medrengard/Maybe get it listed on page 1 with the other armies :smile.:

Edited by brettfp