++ Iron Within, Iron Without An Iron Warriors Community ++

20 man csm unit is never going to be great because going over 10 doesn't get you anymore special/heavy weapons, but it could be fun to use. Just note it's never going to be the most logical unit size for csm when ten or even five is often better.

Quick question for my fellow Warsmiths and Siege-Captains - I have a badly equipped Iron Warrior squad with a heavy bolter and a melta. Should I:

1) Swap the heavy bolter for a flamer,
2) Swap the heavy bolter for a melta,
or
3) Swap the melta for a heavy bolter (is this even possible)?

Quick question for my fellow Warsmiths and Siege-Captains - I have a badly equipped Iron Warrior squad with a heavy bolter and a melta. Should I:

1) Swap the heavy bolter for a flamer,

2) Swap the heavy bolter for a melta,

or

3) Swap the melta for a heavy bolter (is this even possible)?

Yep 10 man squads can take take 2 heavy weapons so double heavy bolters would probably help out the squad a bit better plus be good for holding objectives

So Necromunda has been confirm

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/334059-forgeworld-open-day-2017/page-4

I'm bring this up, because pretty much the models will be great for Chaos cultist.  I'm hoping for Pit Slaves so I can finial get my Close Combat arm Cultist done.

Hey all,

Do we have any info on the curved Aquila shoulder pad? Likely just a Terran marking?

It a marking from the old Rough Trader era for Iron Warriors, back when we where loosely class as follow Slannesh.  The Index Chaotic release that Christmas had shown that image.

Guest uk_crow

No problem!

I can't recall any information but remember legions are vast organisations and the IW would be able to commit to a full spectrum of warfare.

I love the idea of recon/commando iron warriors scouting out fortresses before the main siege! What you planning?

Pretty much as you have described it. Like you I'm also into the idea of the Iron warriors forward company. Scouting, doing damage and maybe setting up initial fortifications themselves.

This comes from a wierd tangent of reading about the historical Fulk the 3rd of Anjou. My thought process was that maybe Barban Falk was given his name based on the French castle builder. So intiatially I was thinking that an iron warriors defensive force might be fun but its morphing into a fast moving scout force instead, potentially called 'Goshawk' company.

I have about a million projects on the go but I'm likeing this idea the more I think about it.

Unsure if your chasing fluff references but in storm of iron honsou ricky recons both the space port and a keep

For sure, I like to keep things fluffy. Thanks Edited by Lords of Preyspire

So I had my first game with IW in 8th against World Eaters with an Imperial Knight. 2k, Matched, Spoils of War, Spearhead Assault Deployment

Taking advantage of the new Codex and our old loose affiliation with Slaanesh in RT, I fluffed it out that my previous Lord had ascended to daemonhood with that god and was slowly spreading that worship through his company.

I ran....

Two Battalion Detachments that added up to:

Slaanesh Daemon Prince with Fleshmetal and the Cold and Bitter Warlord Trait-Daemonic Axe, Talons, Warp Bolter

Slaanesh Sorcerer with Force Stave and Murder Sword (via Gifts of Chaos)

Slaanesh Warpsmith with Combi-Melta, Power Axe, Mechatendrils, Meltagun, Flamer

Unmarked Terminator Lord

6 Slaanesh Possessed

3 Slaanesh Obliterators

6 Slaanesh Havocs w/4 Lascannons

5 Unmarked Terminators with 4 Combi-Meltas, Reaper, 4 Lightning Claws, Chainfist

10 Unmarked Cultists, Autoguns, Heavy Stubber and Shotgun

10 Unmarked Cultists, Autoguns, Heavy Stubber

6 Unmarked CSM, Missile Launcher, Power Axe

Plus a Spearhead Detachment of Renegades:

Renegade Commander (Plasma Pistol and Power Fist)

1 Basilisk

1 Basilisk

1 Basilisk

He had a Chaos Lord on a bike with the Collar, 3x8 Bikers (Icon, 2 Fists and one Axe on Champs, Chainswords), 2 Predators (Twin Las, 2 Las, Havoc on each), A Renegade Knight (2x Battle Cannon 3x Heavy Stubber, Ironstorm), and enough points reserved to summon 30 Bloodletters.

He went first, hit my Cultist screen and havocs hard with 2 bike squads and fire from his heavy units, and then got brutally counterpunched by pointblank shooting, grenades, and a Possessed/Daemon Prince charge.

He had planned for this and had another bike squad, his Lord, and 20 of the Bloodletters (bad summoning roll) ready for when he anticipated I would advance to try to seize objectives and finish him. I didn’t take the bait, re-dressed my lines and then unloaded more close range shooting after the Bloodletters blew their 9 inch charge. Finished with an assault into the Bloodletters with just two units once they were weakened.

Game got called for time at the end of turn 2 with him down 2/3 of his bikers, 20 Bloodletters, and some wounds on a Predator. I was getting ready for my Termie/Oblit drop. I won by 2 VP. We were both down to keep going, but the store needed the table for a tournament that was starting.

Basilisks technically underperformed, but that’s only because his bikers ate 7 Earthshaker hits and only lost 2 models due to some great saves.

Man of the Match was a tie between my Renegade Commander, who made WAY too many Refractor Field saves and took out 3 Bikers with his Power Fist, and my Slaanesh Warpsmith, who was blasting his way through Bikers and Bloodletters all over the place.

It gets pretty nuts when you fire Meltagun, Meltagun, Flamer, and 2 Bolter shots, and then spend 2CP for Endless Cacophony to do it all again…..then charge something with the Power Axe and Mechatendrils. Granted, he whiffed everything on his charge and got killed by a biker Power Fist, but the odds were way in his favor and I rolled awful.

Up until then he was a bubble of doom that Khorne bikers were making a lot of effort to avoid, and when he got to shoot, he ended up killing 3 bikers and 7 Bloodletters.

Seriously, try it yourselves. The guy is a beast...epecially if there are vehicles around and you get to curse one first. The Bolter part of the Combi-Weapon also lets you tack on a Daemon Shell as a finisher if you need to. Use Precscience to get him back up to hitting on 2+ if necessary.

Oh yeah....and Chaos Familiar was awesome. Let me dump Smite from my Sorcerer to get Warptime and put some Cultists on a key objective in the late game. Totally worth it.

Good fun. Wish we could have gone the whole way.

Edited by GreaterChickenofTzeentch

I got my first game in and have to say, despite my bad feelings and doubts, I think CSM, and IW specifically, are in a good spot right now. I faced my friends Raven Guard who fielded a list with lots of assault marines, 2 rifleman dreadnoughts, 4 squads of devastors and a bunch of characters that allowed him to re-roll basically everything (not exactly, but almost). I fielded some motley crew list with units I wanted to give a try. I brought a Sorcerer with jump pack and a winged daemon prince, havocs with rocket launchers, a squad of terminators with axes, 4 plasma and a heavy flamer, 5 khorne berserkers with a flamer combi on the champ, a Dreadnought with MM and fist with bolter, 3 bikers, 2 Dreadclaws and a Fire Raptor and a bunch of horrors (should have summoned those, because the detachment they where in (DP, bikers, all flyers) lost the IW Legion tactic).

I expected to be swiftly slaughtered, but then was surprised to find that the game was pretty even. We both made some tactical mistakes, but over all we swung at each other dealing heavy blows and in the end I won by 2 victory points.

I won't relate the game in all its details, but I will quickly share the impressions I got in respect to the units I used and the rules we (CSM as seen from an IW perspective) got.

OK, so the DP doesn't seem to be so awesome anymore. In 7th it used to be the Queen piece of my army summoning daemons and torching stuff with the brand - no more. Actually I found him quite weak with the number of attacks he got. I will give him another try, but wasn't impressed by his performance. He did score a vp though, but as my warlord and a psyker, he also gave away 3 when he was killed.

Rocket launchers are THE weapon in 8th imo. Many talk about lascannons, but rocket launchers are way more flexible, especially when you throw the new stratagem from the codex in that allows you to inflict d3 mortal wounds on flyers. So I will probably stock up on those.

The terminators have failed to impress me. They are very expensive, and although they have two wounds and reusable combi-weapons now, there are also numerous weapons dealing 2 damage per wound inflicted. This means that the terminators are not doing much more than last edition against an opponent who knows what he's doing, while still being slow - even slower than before. So now that you can't take termicide anymore, I don't feel like terminators will be very useful. Also a 2+ save isn't what it used to be - neither in 2nd nor in 7th edition.

Khorne berserkers are awesome, just as everyone and their mom knew they would be. Them fighting twice is so great. I gave the champ a flamer combi-weapon which made charging them quite costly and allowed them to stick around until the very end - although it was only that champion that survived. You definitely want to kill these guys with shooting. I will probably bring 2 units next time.

The Dreadnought didn't do that much the whole game. As he remaind inside the assigned dread claw for most of the game. My opponent had spread his army so deep striking behind his lines wasn't an option, and the dreadclaws are not super fast with their 15" movement, so it was hard to bring him into range, given he only had a multi melter. Anyways when he disembarked he helped mopping up a squad of assault marines in cc and scored a vp by holding an objective, and another one at the end of the game for securing line breaker. If I field a dread again, I will give him the twin lascannon. I can't imagine that not being effective if it gets to shoot.

The Dreadclaws were awesome. I will definitely field them again. There area effect thermal jets are devastating against msu if you move correctly. Their cc capabilities are not that great on the other hand. WS 4+ with only 4 attacks isn't getting them back scores of wounds, but they can still help out the units they are carrying (I'd recommend khorne berserkers). But I'd say you definitely need more armored targets for target saturation, because you will usually need to fly them up the field for at least one turn before they can effectively spill their load (unless you are deep striking them).

Last but not least the Fire Raptor is a total beast in this edition and definitely worth its 362 points - as lomg as it gets to shoot at least once. I made the mistake that I didn't unload every gun into the devastors, otherwise it might have lived through the counterstrike. Also, our IW stratagem is a good way to keep such a prime target for the enemy in the air for one more turn.

About our IW legion tactic I have to say, that it is actually really good! Denying the enemy their cover bonus makes a big difference. The same goes for our warlord trait that seems to ask for big blobs of cultists with autoguns to be abused together with the stratagem that allows cultists to teleport and refill their numbers...

I forgot to mention the sorcerer. Most of the game he buffed the BS of the havocs which counterbalanced the Raven Guard thing that you suffer -1 to BS when shooting at them from 12" away. That's basically all. The Horrors sat around and claimed ojectives, but some cultists with autoguns would have done more I guess.

So all in all I'm pretty reconciled with the new edition. I really like the command points and the otions they provide. I feel they make the game more tactical. After I had analyzed the ETC lists, I thought "omg unbound is the new battleforged, 40k is over". But for friendly games its still fun and the errata that flyers don't count against sudden death also did its part. I will probably be at a tournament in September to see how that landscape develops. Right now I have a good feeling about CSM and the edition as a whole.

Edited by Iron Skull Mask

Fellow Iron Warriors. A bit of help regarding battleforged lists. So I want to use some of the Chaos named characters but of course big issue there is no Iron Warrior character. For a few large point games I was thinking of taking Abaddon as he has quite nice stats and he has benefits that he can apply to all Heretic Astartes. Issue there is he is Black Legion not Legion key word. My question is, if I had a small detachment with Abaddon and some black legion then the rest of my forces were all Iron Warriors, would that be battleforged? I understand that certain bonuses won't cross the Black Legion/Iron Warrior keyword. 

Fellow Iron Warriors. A bit of help regarding battleforged lists. So I want to use some of the Chaos named characters but of course big issue there is no Iron Warrior character. For a few large point games I was thinking of taking Abaddon as he has quite nice stats and he has benefits that he can apply to all Heretic Astartes. Issue there is he is Black Legion not Legion key word. My question is, if I had a small detachment with Abaddon and some black legion then the rest of my forces were all Iron Warriors, would that be battleforged? I understand that certain bonuses won't cross the Black Legion/Iron Warrior keyword. 

Your army is battleforged if every single unit is in a detachment of any kind. So yes that would be a battleforged army.

You would even get access to Iron Warrior AND Black Legion stuff at the same time (only applying to the respective detachment of course tho).

Your army is battleforged if every single unit is in a detachment of any kind. So yes that would be a battleforged army.

You would even get access to Iron Warrior AND Black Legion stuff at the same time (only applying to the respective detachment of course tho).

Thanks! Time to start offering maltesers to the chaos gods for a new Abaddon model!