++ Iron Within, Iron Without An Iron Warriors Community ++

Not a fan of that list. Not really evaluating the usefulness, your tactics sound, well, sound. But it has a distinct lack of IW space marines. Its probably a carryover from my time in 30k where I like to see masses of power armor dudes and artillery with my army. Of course termies are awesome too. 

I think I figured my 2250  force out a bit more firmly.

Daemon Prince no wings, using Perturabo mini. Hopefully the new codex has some sort of appropriate weapon I can give him. Ill give psychic powers to emulate the gun if they exist. I really haven't read the leaks aside from the IW relic. I think I am forced to take a Mark so likely Tzeentch although I will grab whichever has a power which is the most like a cool multi-shot gun.

Lord Termy armor (Golg)

Termies x5 plasma combis and a reaper, various weapons including at least a chain fist and pair of power fists.

Tac marines x20 equipped with flamers and a mark of Khorne. They run with the Daemon prince

Tac marines x5 missile launcher, plasma combi, power sword

Tac Marines x5 plasmagun, plasma combi, power sword

Havocs x8 or so with 4 missile launchers

Dorito dread (not sure on the weapon loadout without looking at the book again)

Maybe the New Sicarian with the big guns on the top or a Xiphon interceptor.

Spearhead

Malefic Lord

2 Bombards

2 medusas

2 Scout sentinels Extending the anti-DS bubble

2 Squads of Marauders with sniper rifles Both character hunting and DS bubble. They are only 34 points each so no big loss if they die.

Any leftover points go to basic Contemptors but I think last time I figured the points I didn't have much left or possibly an Autocannon havoc squad

I want my apothecaries back.

Not a fan of that list. Not really evaluating the usefulness, your tactics sound, well, sound. But it has a distinct lack of IW space marines. Its probably a carryover from my time in 30k where I like to see masses of power armor dudes and artillery with my army. Of course termies are awesome too. 

I think I figured my 2250  force out a bit more firmly.

Daemon Prince no wings, using Perturabo mini. Hopefully the new codex has some sort of appropriate weapon I can give him. Ill give psychic powers to emulate the gun if they exist. I really haven't read the leaks aside from the IW relic. I think I am forced to take a Mark so likely Tzeentch although I will grab whichever has a power which is the most like a cool multi-shot gun.

Lord Termy armor (Golg)

Termies x5 plasma combis and a reaper, various weapons including at least a chain fist and pair of power fists.

Tac marines x20 equipped with flamers and a mark of Khorne. They run with the Daemon prince

Tac marines x5 missile launcher, plasma combi, power sword

Tac Marines x5 plasmagun, plasma combi, power sword

Havocs x8 or so with 4 missile launchers

Dorito dread (not sure on the weapon loadout without looking at the book again)

Maybe the New Sicarian with the big guns on the top or a Xiphon interceptor.

Spearhead

Malefic Lord

2 Bombards

2 medusas

2 Scout sentinels Extending the anti-DS bubble

2 Squads of Marauders with sniper rifles Both character hunting and DS bubble. They are only 34 points each so no big loss if they die.

Any leftover points go to basic Contemptors but I think last time I figured the points I didn't have much left or possibly an Autocannon havoc squad

I want my apothecaries back.

I like the idea behind this list, taking your marines in the main section, and then an additional HS detachment of Guard artillery! Fits with how I see an Iron Warriors army.

Although I disagree with the comment about masses of power armour dudes. I like the imagery of masses of cultists shoved in front of the cannons and made to charge the enemies fortifications to use up their ammo and figure out the weaknesses

I will make that adjustment for the extra CP, thanks for pointing that out :)

I disagree on the lack of power armoured dudes, that is certainly a closer to 30k philosophy that's true but I'm thinking about 40k and looking at the Siege of Castellax and Storm of Iron they always have a load of fodder shoved forward to soak the damage while their long range firepower does the work. I'd personally love to be able to field about 30-40 Marines to 80 Cultists so it seems like a massive mass and utterly overwhelming but I haven't been able to see that work yet in list form. I have adjusted the list for the new points costs as I know them and I've squeezed in a few more marines (in the Havocs) and cultists. 

I basically see Iron Warrior lists in vagaries of archetypes. Mine is the combined arms approach but there are others

Armoured assault: Marines/Chosen/Havocs in Rhinos supported by Predators, Vindicators, Defilers. etc.

Forlorn hope assault: Berserkers in Rhinos with Dark Apostle supported by Chosen in Rhinos, DS Terminators, Bikes, Helldrakes, Maulerfiends, Defilers. Marines/Cultists make up second line as objective takers.
Phallanx/30k harken back: massed MEQ with artillery

Full hard point Defensive army: Massed Cultists to choke enemy with while Havocs sit in Bastions firing out. 3 Havoc Squads, 3 Bastions plus other stuff.

sebs_evo, will do once I get home from work! :P

Currently I'm running the following list (we do power level at my local GW usually):

Chaos Lord in Terminator Armour with Black Mace and combi-bolter
Sorceror with force sword and plasma pistol, smite, prescience, warptime.

5 Terminators with heavy flamer, combi-flamer, 3 combi-meltas, mix of ccw
5 Terminators with reaper autocannon, combi-bolters, mix of ccw

10 Iron Warriors with melta, heavy bolter, Icon of Chaos Undivided; Techmarine Koczan with PP and chainsword
10 Iron Warriors with 2 plasma guns, Icon of Slaanesh, the Skin-Taker

Totals 58 power now after the Codex drop.

My 2,000 point army adds:

8 Bezerkers - 2 PP and Champion with power axe
7 Plague Marines - 1 melta and Champion with power fist
6 Noise Marines - Doom Siren, power fist, chainsword (Champion), Blastmaster, 4 sonic blasters

Dreadnought with Reaper Autocannon and power claw
18 Cultists with a flamer, ccw and autopistols
12 Cultists with a heavy stubber, autoguns

I've no idea how many points my final army will be. Lots, probably. I'm quite excited to have found this thread.

I will make that adjustment for the extra CP, thanks for pointing that out :smile.:

I disagree on the lack of power armoured dudes, that is certainly a closer to 30k philosophy that's true but I'm thinking about 40k and looking at the Siege of Castellax and Storm of Iron they always have a load of fodder shoved forward to soak the damage while their long range firepower does the work. I'd personally love to be able to field about 30-40 Marines to 80 Cultists so it seems like a massive mass and utterly overwhelming but I haven't been able to see that work yet in list form. I have adjusted the list for the new points costs as I know them and I've squeezed in a few more marines (in the Havocs) and cultists. 

I basically see Iron Warrior lists in vagaries of archetypes. Mine is the combined arms approach but there are others

Armoured assault: Marines/Chosen/Havocs in Rhinos supported by Predators, Vindicators, Defilers. etc.

Forlorn hope assault: Berserkers in Rhinos with Dark Apostle supported by Chosen in Rhinos, DS Terminators, Bikes, Helldrakes, Maulerfiends, Defilers. Marines/Cultists make up second line as objective takers.

Phallanx/30k harken back: massed MEQ with artillery

Full hard point Defensive army: Massed Cultists to choke enemy with while Havocs sit in Bastions firing out. 3 Havoc Squads, 3 Bastions plus other stuff.

Yes, just in case that extra command point needed.  There will be a time when you need, say Veteran of the Long war on those Obliterators for that +1 to wound, or same but with your Terminators in close combat.  So just as a safety point for those vital moment in a game.

Well with the dex coming out tomorrow I have already ordered my collectors edition of the dex plus the cards and the good old IW warsmith that GW made all those years ago. I figured now would be a good time to revamp my IW army up to snuff since I haven't really played it hard since the good old glory days of 3.5. I plan on making a new thread for them to log it all and I'm pretty pumped for it, having played a few games of 8th now I'm actually enjoying the game like I used to.

But you know what is better? Those of us who play/collect/drool over IW fluff/love the 4th have really turned the IW into some more dynamic. 3.5 used to be all about Storm of Iron. Now it has helped the GW and BL have pushed and guided the IW in different directions or aspects (while still maintaining the siege theme) but that has grown to encompass more. I believe because of us players and how we have shaped our own grand battalions.

Iron_within has really hit the nail on the head with the different types of IW to play. And with each new book comes more ideas for that type of army we envision the IW to play. Out of all the legions I firmly believe that those who honor the 4th have done more credit to their legion than any other. We may be the most bitter of all the legions, we may not see the love anywhere as near as much as the others, but by the powers of the dark gods we have more stubborn belief in the 4th than anyone gives us credit for.

We have a lot of different play styles of those who command various grand battalions of the 4th and I love reading all of the crazy ideas we come up with. Not to mention the modeling/painting and fluff! Keep it up fellow warsmiths!

The new CSM 'dex allows units taken as <IRON WARRIORS> to be Marked, as well as even *shock* take Cult units.

What do people think of that, since part of the Iron Warriors' thing is cutting those elements out of their Legion. I think with a bit of background justification, there could be some interesting combinations.

What do you think? 

IW used to have berzerkets to break enemy lines/fortified positions.

Fluff justifications shouldn't be hard.

NM assault squads with experimental weaponry.

PM veteran squads full of bionics.

KB well, Khorne Berzerkets. Failing that, shock troops.

RM siege breachers in mk3 void hardened armor.

And so on!

IW also used to have Noise Marines and Plague Marines are no stranger either afaik.

The whole "no mark at all" was a bit ridiculous. Being an undivided army doesn't always mean you don't whorship any god, it sometimes just means you whorship the whole pantheon.

Likewise being marked doesn't necessarily mean you are a hardcore whorshipper but rather that your lifestyle/personality/whatever fits enough for a specific Chaos god to take a liking to you. No way to prevent that except for killing yourself after noticing the mark of a chaos god on your body. ^^

Storm of Iron has Kroegar and he is rather Khorne aligned. 
Got the dex today, really liking it so far, can't wait to try it in a game this week. The Iron Warrior section is great, I need to make my own version of the Iron Warrior captain with the two handed hammer.

By old school fluff it was only ever one unit of khorne beserkers in the army. And the IW shunned the chaos gods just as much as the NL did. In 3.5 they worked it as they were the closest ones to get to a god (that god being Khorne) for those of that small elite unit but other than that no marks but undivided were allowed.

Not to say that they did or didn't believe in the chaos gods. Just that on the table that was the case. The IW, being analytical and damn near close to emotionless, used the gifts of chaos just as they would a bolter or chainsword.

Now when one separates the table top from the fluff, welllllll then you can get a bit more creative with things (at least with the old school fluff)

This new way of thinking is GW's way of trying to keep things alive and thriving (not that I think that is needed personally mind you). But as Brother Aiwass said there are a number of ways we can justify the various gifts of the gods to our IW.

Guest uk_crow

I'm a bit of a purist and stick to the fluff that they honour the pantheon of gods but don't blindly worship them. They put their faith in their wargear not the fickle favour of the gods being such a pragmatic and paranoid legion. Leave that to Word Bearers!

Marqol, any new fluff in the codex for the Iron Warriors? Got to wait till next week for mine! :(

There's a few new tidbits here and there but nothing really captivating aside from the Perturabo and Mortarion collaborating to turn the Obliterator virus into an airborne weapon. It also mentions how it can infect enemy vehicles, corrupting and mutating them - even Imperial Knights!

Well, my Iron Warriors are a bit more Chaotic and a bit less Legion - lots of little factions within the Cohort threatening to split what is already, in practice, a warband sub-element of the fractured 12th Grand Company, into lots of little even smaller warbands. The only thing holding it together is the iron (ha) will of the Siege-Captain and the threat of his bodyguard Terminators.

In other words I have cult units and god-aligned units in my army, and they all look pretty sweet in the Iron Warrior colours with various different bits - the Bezerkers are splattered with gore, the Plague Marines' armour is tarnished and stained, the Noise Marines are covered in gold and filigree and noise weapons, the Possessed... well... they're going to be possessed.

Not a fan of the marks for any of the undivided but out of the three who are not toys of the gods, Word Bearers are nothing more than blind tools, I think the IW are the only ones who would willingly have Khorne use. Alpha doesnt use them(they arent really chaos) and the Night Lords are the gym class bullies laughing at everyone else for using them "HA HA, You're a warpbible thumping tool!". IW at least doesnt do the mutation thing and I dont think its ever been changed that they cut off all mutations an replace them with bionics and for that reason I think Khorne would be the only mark and Tzeentch would be right out. I would hope if we ever got a primarch figure it wouldnt be too unchanged from the FW model. I dont see Perty being all "Sure, I'll take wings and claws, ohh ohh can I shoot webbing like spiderman?"

Not a fan of the marks for any of the undivided but out of the three who are not toys of the gods, Word Bearers are nothing more than blind tools, I think the IW are the only ones who would willingly have Khorne use. Alpha doesnt use them(they arent really chaos) and the Night Lords are the gym class bullies laughing at everyone else for using them "HA HA, You're a warpbible thumping tool!". IW at least doesnt do the mutation thing and I dont think its ever been changed that they cut off all mutations an replace them with bionics and for that reason I think Khorne would be the only mark and Tzeentch would be right out. I would hope if we ever got a primarch figure it wouldnt be too unchanged from the FW model. I dont see Perty being all "Sure, I'll take wings and claws, ohh ohh can I shoot webbing like spiderman?"

lmao

As if he had anything to say in that matter. If the Chaos gods want to give him something they do so without asking him.

And your view of some of the legions is very...weird to say the least. ^^

@TheAngryNomad Nothing major that I can tell, there seems to be some small paragraphs adding some flesh to the fall of cadia era, a few battles that show what the Iron Warriors do. I think a few of the fluff elements are new for the codex but come from horus heresy books. Some of the bits that are new might not be but I was not aware of them at least.