8th Edition does favour numbers, but I don't see why Marines can't grab a slice of that pie :wink: Larger points will bring more threats but equally so would they allow for more Marines :laugh.: Wounding almost everything on a 5+ at worst is respectable and throwing the VotLW Stratagem around at the right moments can really tip the balance. I feel like I'm really getting the hang of how the codex works :smile.:

For the core 10 strong CSM combat squads I'm thinking that a Rhino would be a good asset to let them get into combat more reliably. Cultists to be cheap fodder and hold objectives and the like - I noticed the FW Escher bits and thought they'd be a great addition to spice them up and provide a few extra options so hopefully they're out soon. Otherwise I'll probably load up on Terminators :biggrin.:

First things first; I do have other projects that need completing. I'm thinking about the Prince's scheme, the armour bits will naturally reflect the Sunder's scheme but I'm not sure about the flesh. At some points it merges into the armour I think? Could be interesting to paint and while I have a skin tone I use for Daemons I'm not sure it'd work so well on a Daemon Prince?

Perhaps I should paint the skin up normally, and see how it looks. Maybe a red wash on top could give it a bit of a different look? I've spent a lot of time on the model so don't want to bugger it up :tongue.: Any ideas welcome as always :thumbsup:

@WarriorFish....you shouldn't feel bad about killing my Abaddon ;)

It was a very tough game and you played it really well....and as we both said it came down to literally the last dice rolls of the game.

Your commander is nails and genuinely scary!

Was an excellent match that we both got stuck into! Great battle reports too!

BCC

Yes, unless they FAQ'd it I believe diabolic strength targets a model. Double check me as I myself haven't used it in forever. So far only my daemon prince made use of it and he's been a benchwarmer for the last few games.

I do like that CSM were kicking butt in these games. For the last five years Noise Marines have been the backbone of my army and cult marines had seen more favor in my latest army build. However, I started using squads of them with a lascannon and love them (and their cheaper price). Rhinos are a great boon to marines so they don't have to footslog out in the open. Just run those boxes up and then next turn unload.

Looking forward to when you can get back to these and your battle reports.

• 4 weeks later...

As a break from painting I've started assembling my Cultists, up to eight so far:

gallery_30308_10249_59558.jpg

They're pretty quick to put together which is nice, and plenty of customisation. I didn't get the other two done as I was busy converting up the leader:

gallery_30308_10249_5765.jpg

I think it went really well :biggrin.: I need to source a suitable combat weapon but it's all ready to go when I do. I did consider the shotgun as an option but I figured it feels right to build the leader for combat, plus there will be plenty of shooty from the majority of the rest of the squad. I also thought the overcoat was too good to pass up!

@WarriorFish: Nice work, I was waiting to see your progress on these bud!

Can you get a snap of them next to your marines for scale purposes? I imagine they're about the same height as they are more "upright" than classic marine stances?

BCC

I need to see what my bits box can do, but a sword is always a safe bet :tongue.: Might see what I can steal from my DE as a smaller weapon would be best I reckon.

I'll get a comparison shot once I've finished the squad, but it's not too bad. I've removed the platform/heel on their shoes which helps, but they all have straight leg poses (not a bolter squat in sight!) which along with their fabulous hair does give them some height. Being skinny helps offset it though, as while they're roughly the same height the bulkier Marine can be seen to not be standing to his full height and hair doesn't count :lol:

All ready for priming :smile.: I'll be getting a new can Monday, so I'll try and source the weapon bit sooner rather than later.

gallery_30308_10249_18410.jpg

Here is a comparison set:

gallery_30308_10249_25419.jpg

FW Kakophoni Marine has a straighter pose, but the models are fairly tall with their straight legs and tall hair. Keep in mind this is with the high heels chopped down too! Fortunately the bulk of Marines offsets it so I don't think anyone will notice during a game... especially as I'll taking them off the table by the handful :laugh.:

As I thought the DE were a good source - left overs from a Wyche box had a sword that I could quickly chop into size:

gallery_30308_10249_24151.jpg

That was easy :laugh.: I need to finish the Bullgryns but I think the Cultists just bumped their way to the top of the queue afterwards :tongue.: Which is probably for the best anyway, as yet another HQ isn't what my army needs to properly grow and I still haven't figured out how to do the skin (including transition to armour bits).

Thanks guys, it all came together without effort so must have been the guiding hand of the Dark Prince herself :wink: Since these are next on my list it's a good opportunity to sort out the Daemon Prince's scheme, as we all know that will take me weeks :tongue.:

I will naturally be doing the armour as the Marines, but I'm stuck on the skin. A more human tone probably wouldn't fit, but I don't want anything too complicated. What about starting on Rakarth and trying a red wash? Any ideas and pictures would be most welcome :thumbsup:

Warriorfish, the conversion looks fantastic!

However, my Renegades and Heretics militia trooper, "Blademaster," seen on the right of this photo, accuses you of stealing his sword! He wants it back and insists there will be a reckoning. Although since he's only WS5+ 1 wound model, I suspect it will be a brief reckoning.

I too think the purple would be an interesting direction.

38544006450_26ea16df19_b.jpg

Great minds think alike :wink: Got started on my Prince with some basic colours:

gallery_30308_10249_33518.jpg

I also repaired the wing magnet so he's all good to go again :smile.: The plan is to get a bit of blending done between the armour and skin, then add a Reikland Flesh wash followed by a purple wash in the recesses. Or would it be better to try and all over coat with the purple? Idea is to lead in over the blending somewhat with the washes, try and make it look fused/bound. Does that sound like it'll work?

I'll be going carefully with him, can't risk something going wrong. If I'm not fully in the mood or daylight isn't in good form I'll swap to the Cultists (they can be expendable off the table top too? :tongue.: )!

Some fair progress on the Prince, I blended between the armour and flesh but unfortunately the washes didn't really agree with that so a bit of a harder line was necessary.

gallery_30308_10249_13179.jpg

Should start coming together once I get the gold on. I'm pondering what to do with the face mask. Blending between the blue and green probably wouldn't look great so I'm wondering about a mirror style lighter shiny metallic?