Black wings with a shiney mirror head should look good I think. Kinda like the Mirror Guard Regiment of Renown in Total Warhammer:

med_gallery_27469_12095_29088.jpg

med_gallery_27469_12095_26955.jpg

Tried to find some decent piks but it's surprisingly hard! Anyway, I think that would look pretty cool I can't see blending the green and blue working on the head. Skin looks good, it should really pop once you've added more colours :thumbsup:

I'm sure Slaanesh would approve :wink: I've made excellent progress today, the body is almost finished including a spruce up to the flesh that I'm much happier with:

gallery_30308_10249_36220.jpg

gallery_30308_10249_23470.jpg

I'm thinking about doing the arrows in the shoulder pads Blood for the Blood God, but that might be a bit much as I will probably add some blood to the finger tips. The back spines will probably be the same off white as the claws I reckon.

I was thinking of the white pad for the BftBG so it shows up more mainly, but that means still need something for the melon one. Maybe see how it looks when I've painted the rest of the pad. Anyway, no rush for the pads so I'm making some slow progress:

gallery_30308_10249_109337.jpg

This is just the first wash, so it'll need a purple on top and them re-picking with flesh before I can move to the darker colour. My idea is to do a few layers of Charadon Granite and wash going up from the recesses to try and build some extra depth but we'll see how that goes. Bonus shot: new Havoc being built :biggrin.:

Thanks! The Daemon Prince is going suspiciously well, so I'm being careful to make sure he stays that way ;) I'm hoping to make some solid progress on him over the weekend but I'm also eyeing up the Cultists now the weather should be less risky for priming :tu:

After so long it's still taking a bit of getting used to that storm/combi-bolters are worth taking. Given the cost of a bolter when not free the price is fair too :tongue.: I was planning to kit bash a TDA combi-bolter but I'm glad I didn't otherwise I wouldn't have finished in time. While I was there I also primed the Cultists so I can start work on them soon :thumbsup:

I'm calling him finished - for now.

gallery_30308_10249_23401.jpg

Maybe with a bit of time - and a couple of Rubrics to stand next to - I'll get an idea of what I want to do with the robe colour. In the meantime I'm back to the Sunder and I've got the base white on the two Marines so I'll see what I can get done on them :smile.:

I really like the darker blue/purple even though it looks a bit like a pre heresy Emperor's Child. Would you mind sharing the recipe?

Minor nitpick, I think the contrast between the "pupil", "eyelids" and the "sclera" on the staff is to hard IMHO. On the other hand I think white

The staff was a bit of an experiment with the colours I wasn't sure what I wanted or was going for - if you've any suggestions let me know! I think I'm going for white on the robes too, something to tie them to the Sunder a bit more and as mentioned is likely the best colour.

As for the purple it's Naggaroth Night with Drakenhof Nightshade applied reasonably generously. For something with fewer gold edges and for someone with more talent a highlight to take the blockiness off would go far I think, though I couldn't say what colour would suit best. Xereus Purple might be good?

I'm still a bit undecided on the purple, but once I get the Sunder to a solid 1500pts I will look at returning to the Thousand Sons again. I should have a better feel for it once I've added another model or two for comparison. In the meantime if anyone has any colour input it would be most welcome :smile.:

If you are concerned about a blocky appearance in your purple eould adding a layer Druchii Violet wash over the purple reduce the blockiness? Or perhaps simultaneously adding a bit of Guilliman Blue Glaze to saturate the color tones a bit.

Personally I think the purple looks great as is though.

Thanks Tallarn, I've thought about adding a purple wash but I'm not sure if it'll show up much as the Naggaroth is quite a strong colour, so I'm thinking of trying a black wash to add that definition before doing the purple wash. A bit of a glaze sounds like it might be worth a try if that doesn't work :thumbsup:

I think perhaps that's my issue - not that I don't like the purple as a choice, but rather just don't like how I did it :smile.:

To replace the white on the eye I have several suggestions:

1. Break it up a bit with a couple of darkish veins (not sure if it is feasible at that scale) and/or give it some jaundice

2. Use black or a purple similar to the armour colour to tie it in with the sorcerer's eye lenses

3. Paint it gold. It is an ornament it does not have to look real.

Regardless of the suggestions above maybe paint the blue/purple flame parts turquoise maybe with a gradient to purple along the purple parts of the staff.

Edited by Quixus

Good ideas brothers, I'll see what I can rustle up for them when the time comes - which may be soon as as the way things are going I'm going to be heavily out-warped. Naturally as a Chaos army that simply won't stand :tongue.:

1000pts vs Tyranids

That four objectives Eternal War mission why can't I ever remember the mission names?

The Sunder

Hidden Content
++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [997pts] ++

Legion: Emperor's Children

+ HQ +

Chaos Lord in Terminator Armour [117pts]: 3. Unholy Fortitude, Intoxicating Elixir, 2x Lightning Claw, Mark of Slaanesh, Warlord

Exalted Champion [82pts]: 2x Lightning Claw, Mark of Slaanesh

Sorcerer [98pts]: Bolt pistol, Death Hex, Delightful Agonies, Force sword, Mark of Slaanesh

+ Troops +

Chaos Space Marines [165pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
Aspiring Champion: Plasma pistol, Power sword
7x Marine w/ Chainsword
Marine w/ Plasma pistol: Chainsword, Plasma pistol
Marine w/ special weapon: Meltagun

Chaos Space Marines [165pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
Aspiring Champion: Plasma pistol, Power sword
7x Marine w/ Chainsword
Marine w/ Plasma pistol: Chainsword, Plasma pistol
Marine w/ special weapon: Meltagun

Chaos Space Marines [133pts]: 9x Marine w/ Boltgun, Mark of Slaanesh
Aspiring Champion: Chainaxe, Combi-bolter

+ Elites +

Chaos Terminators [237pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
Chaos Terminator Champion: Combi-bolter, Power sword
Terminator: Combi-bolter, Lightning Claw
Terminator: Combi-bolter, Lightning Claw
Terminator: Combi-melta, Lightning Claw
Terminator w/ Heavy Weapon: Chainfist, Reaper autocannon

Hive Fleet Kraken

Hidden Content
Hive Tyrant w/wings

Broodlord (Warlord)

28 Hormagaunts

3 Warriors

Trygon

Genestealers

First game for my CSM against the 'nid menace. Having fought them a couple of times with my loyalists I knew it wasn't going to be easy, with limited long range shooting (i.e. almost none) at least I could reasonably rely on them closing for a fight which is where I would want them. However that means not getting bogged down against the gribblies so the big ones don't slam into your flanks...

Deployment

Somehow my opponent manages to finish deploying first. Yeah, I know. I deploy vaguely to start with putting my bolter squad in cover, and seeing where my opponent is going I huddle my forces. With a few extra placements in the end that lets me not make it too obvious at least. I fail to seize but I'm thinking that going second might be best. I keep my Termies in reserve as I'm not sure what to do with them, and may need them as something to commit once my opponent's turn up.

gallery_30308_10077_64137.jpg

Turn 1

No time is wasted in closing the gap, the flying Hive Tyrant is a concern as he's speeding up the flank where I don't have much answer. The rest is fairly focused but isn't getting bottlenecked which works favourably in some ways, and not others. Some psychic powers go off and I lose a couple of bolters but not much to worry about. Both sides were built for close quarters to not unexpected!

I decide to gamble a little as I want to get my oar in first, reasoning that I can burn some points to try and get further charges. I advance my Lord to ensure he can make use of his aura and pile in the bullets. A wound is shaved from the Hive Tyrant and the Broodlord takes some hits (despite the 5++), and some gaunts bite it but not a great deal is achieved in shooting.

gallery_30308_10077_27330.jpg

That's just the prelude though! I decide the Hive Tyrant is too fast to stop effectively anyway so I'll let him close and hopefully be able to pile back in. With Delightful Agonies on the right CSM in preparation I launch three charges - and succeed in all! That's a solid bit of luck that should set my game up well.

gallery_30308_10077_97040.jpg

I use a Stratagem to let the right CSM hit again on kills, as I want to thin the horde a bit before they strike back. With Lord aura help my squads hit well enough - 5 gaunts are chopped up and more importantly the Broodlord gets slapped silly. Score First Blood and Slay the Warlord for the Sunder, a great start :smile.: Better still is return attacks achieve little, just one Marine goes down. The Terminators struggle a bit only taking a single Warrior but that'll do for now.

Turn 2

Lucky for me my opponent doesn't see an obvious place for his burrowing reinforcements, and elects to shore up the right flank. Things look less rosy for the Terminators.

gallery_30308_10077_18985.jpg

The Hive Tyrant zips in ready for a charge, doing some Mortal Wounds but some are stopped by my Sorcerer. Thanks to the gifts of Slaanesh I make the combat phase work for me - Veterans of the Long War is played to let the Terminators finish the job and more gaunts go down with little in answer. Biggest point is that the Trygon and friends failed their charges! Combat doesn't go so well for the bolter squad but they give some back.

In my turn the course of action is clear. The consolidated Terminators shoot into the Trygon but my rolling is abysmal, doing a couple of wounds only. The bolter squad falls back letting my encircling Marines shoot heavily (though it costs a plasma pistol). The Sorcerer fails to achieve anything, thanks in part to Shadow of the Warp and just poor rolling.

gallery_30308_10077_87215.jpg

Fortunately the rest of the gang know what they're doing. With Lord and Champion support the fury of the Sunder is unleashed and the Hive Tyrant is brought low, ended by Yjun himself. The Chaos Boon table gives him +1 Strength - nice but likely of little use here. He does achieve some return though his death flails but the Sunder endure.

Turn 3

Things are looking good, but the 'nids still have a lot going on their flank. Limited shooting bounces of 2+ saves, and despite rolling excellently for over watch the Terminator's shots bounce off the Trygon. Somehow they survive it's attacks with only one wound letting me activate them to strike back, unfortunately it doesn't go so well. The chainfist plinks some wounds off the Trygon and a 'stealer falls but that's it. In response I'm left with the chainfist on one wound, so while bad his survival was unexpected and welcome! The gaunts are very slowly wearing down the squad with single casualties, but they won't last too long.

gallery_30308_10077_42722.jpg

There's not too much for me to do in my turn. The chainfist rolls well to get some good licks in before he goes down, and the right squad finished the job on the gaunts and consolidates back a bit. With them as a first line I'm confident I'm looking at victory at this stage but as ever it's all to play for!

Turn 4

The 'nids move up quickly as usual, the Trygon looking for an easy charge with the 'stealers using their special rule to advance up to move against my main line. I throw caution to the wind on over watch on the forward squad losing a plasma pistol but the squad holds on with few casualties. The same can't be said for the bolter squad who are reduced badly.

gallery_30308_10077_17214.jpg

Unfortunately for my opponent all my characters are close enough to join the fun and they help finish the 'stealers off. My turn is a matter of finishing the job - all forces move up to assist but the assault phase is not needed as after a solid Smite pistol fire blasts bring the beast down to earth - victory to the Sunder!

gallery_30308_10077_29526.jpg

Another good game against 'nids - they certainly have a lot going for them! The number of expendables they can put on the table is tough, and add in some durable beasties and some nasty capabilities (and some annoying invulnerable saves) with a sprinkling of psychic powers and morale ignoring and you have a very complete package. I think I need to get my Cultists done sooner as a counter, plus some additional psychic might. You just can't dabble against so many opposite you so it's all or nothing - and nothing is hard to do as it lets your opponent have an entire phase doing all sorts of bad things with no recourse :confused:

It won't be long before my opponent is well versed in his new army so I need to speed up my own plans if I don't want to be left behind :tongue.: The Sorcerer did ok, turn 2 was fortunate that his failures could be compensated by old fashioned chainswords (and lightning claws). The Terminators were mostly useful in their holding of the flank, I need to go back to the drawing board with them. They're cool and dropping in where you need them is great, but too often that leaves them exposed. Support is essential in 8th after all.

So I need to get more models done so I can give them a break. I think it'd be better to add some more models so it's more of a concerted plan than an add-on. Plus I have lots of Terminators awaiting build :laugh.:

Last but not least, I need to do my reading on 'nids. They can get a lot on the table, and with pretty good shooting, but the main thing is how fast they can move and how hard they can hit. Not to mention special rules coming out of their ears (do 'nids have ears?). Know your enemy and all that.

You're too kind Tallarn, there's more I can do to make them better and the pictures do most of the work (even if by potato camera) :wink: I've done a little more painting, and likely surprising nobody it's not on the Daemon Prince :tongue.: Aside from a couple of straps and decoration the first Cultist is done:

gallery_30308_10249_3378.jpg

I think I should have done one of the gems blue for a bit more colour, but there's plenty more opportunity for colours and variation on the others. This was a good first run, a bit of difference but with the colours of the Sunder so she should fit in nicely and be a good benchmark. From here I can start experimenting with more colours which I'm looking forward to :biggrin.:

The Daemon Prince is still my priority, and with a long Easter weekend coming up I'm hoping to make a lot of progress on him :smile.: I might even get him finished if all goes well :thumbsup:

gallery_30308_10249_3378.jpg

I think I should have done one of the gems blue for a bit more colour, but there's plenty more opportunity for colours and variation on the others. This was a good first run, a bit of difference but with the colours of the Sunder so she should fit in nicely and be a good benchmark. From here I can start experimenting with more colours which I'm looking forward to

Dude, that cultist is looking sweet. I would say do the gems in blue, just for a bit of contrast to the brown-grey and red. But she's looking sweet. :tu: