Thanks hush, I'm really pleased with his progress so I'm keen to get more painting done :thumbsup:

Astrogranite is one of GWs newish texture paints, there's also the thicker version of Astrogranite Debris which I've just used for the first time on the Daemon Prince's base. I quite like the texture paints as something a bit different for bases and they make it easier to get certain looks. There's quite a few different types of texture paints so they're worth a look if you've not done so :smile.:

Is that what you have on the base by the DP's right foot? if so I may invest in some.

Too many times I tried making a slush of glue and sand to do something similar and each time was no bueno.

Edited by hushrong

It is yes, you can see the difference easiest in this picture:

gallery_30308_10249_50494.jpg

At the back, round the edge is the thicker Astrogranite Debris. Towards the centre/above the ruin piece is the normal Astrogranite which is not as thick and more granular in how it works. I think all of the texture paints have a normal/thick version so there's plenty of variety especially as the thicker version can be more than the same but, well, thicker :tongue.:

For example I use the Martian texture pair for my Dark Eldar in a similar way to the above, the Ironearth gives quite a different texture but as the same base approach (and importantly - colour) it can make bases go quite far in variety without much effort :smile.: Attack with different washes and highlighting and you can tweak the colours quite a bit too :tu:

Something I've been wondering:

As I thought the DE were a good source - left overs from a Wyche box had a sword that I could quickly chop into size:

gallery_30308_10249_24151.jpg

So that sword is specifically from the Dark Eldar Wych kit? 'cause I was also thinking of using Escher gangers for some of my Slaaneshi cultists, and needed something for the Cultist Champion.

I like that astrogranite. I think that is going on my grocery list for GW. I think it will apply it to the base of the minis before doing priming and just paint over it. Or is that just dumb-ish?

The curved dark elder blades just ooze a Slaaneshi vibe and does look nice. I've been using those Black Ark DE for their weapons on some of my older Emperor's Children.

So that sword is specifically from the Dark Eldar Wych kit? 'cause I was also thinking of using Escher gangers for some of my Slaaneshi cultists, and needed something for the Cultist Champion.

You can see it on the sprue, just in from the top left I removed the power pack bit and handle to fit.

I like that astrogranite. I think that is going on my grocery list for GW. I think it will apply it to the base of the minis before doing priming and just paint over it. Or is that just dumb-ish?

You'd have to paint it up which would be more work of course, but if you're after the texture rather than the colour it should be fine :smile.:

Thanks Sagentus, that's what I'm aiming for :thumbsup: Here he is in all his fiendish glory:

gallery_30308_10249_5529.jpg

gallery_30308_10249_32342.jpg

gallery_30308_10249_7632.jpg

gallery_30308_10249_17241.jpg

gallery_30308_10249_35103.jpg

Pleased with how he's turned out, and as an added bonus the GSing went so well I forgot I even did it when painting :laugh.: I've got the backpack vents and sword to do, but this will be his main build so there's no particular rush to finish them. I'll focus on the Cultists next, though when I'm not painting I'll be assembling the Maulerfiend... :biggrin.:

Time for another first: the Sunder's first vehicle!

gallery_30308_10249_59243.jpg

This is assembled as it'll get, I'll paint it up then have the fun of sticking it to the base and all the basing. Should mean plenty of opportunity to spruce the base up though :smile.: Tentacles (official: said so on the instructions) are just in place in the picture, which is how they'll stay otherwise the model will never get transported :tongue.:

Speaking of instructions; good job I didn't want the plasma cutters as there's not mention of them on the booklet? The bits exist but I've no idea how they're supposed to work, seems a bit basic to just have them slot into the tentacle bit? If that's so then I'll do a bit of magnetising to have my cake and eat it.

Cultists are still on the cards, but wasn't in the mood for painting today. Should be able to swap between them for detail/basic work depending on how I feel once I undercoat the Maulerfiend :smile.:

After some searching I managed to find a close up image of the magma cutters, turns out there was only one extra bit on top which was nice and simple. That means it's magnetising time :tongue.:

gallery_30308_10249_28310.jpg

Does a good crab impression. It was a bit interesting getting the internal magnets in, felt like it was the final boss level of Operation :tongue.: The lasher tendrils should hold in by themselves wither their tabs and the extra layers from the primer and some paint but if not it won't be too much work to add a magnet in :thumbsup:

Indeed, but I thought that for not much extra work no harm in having options and they might get improvement in the future :smile.: I've enjoyed building the kit (poor Cultists may suffer more for it...) and it looks great - enough to consider getting a second, but as it's quite restrictive in pose I'd need to get converting to give them some difference.

That's assuming I finish the model, maybe I did get too much sun yesterday but I'm finding this far more amusing than I should:

Hidden Content
Maulershrimp!

gallery_30308_3239_5190.jpg

It's too late; you've seen it and can't take it back :laugh.:

Daemon prince looks amazing! I like the blue and green daemon arm eyes too, matching the lenses :D How about a group shot of him with some Sunder Marines?

The Maulerfield looks like a good kit but I am sad you've still not done a Rhino chassis vehicle. I will keep the candle burning :P

I'll have an opportunity for an army shot next week :thumbsup: Rhino will be done after the Cultists, as I'll need more vehicles to help the Maulerfiend so it doesn't eat all the AT :smile.: For future vehicular additions, a Heldrake and another Rhino are probably next.

The tweaks to Chosen have me more interested in them, but I'll cross that bridge once I've got the Havoc squads sorted and some Raptors so no rush there. Been a bit busy so not much progress to report, hopefully get some more done on the Cultists this week!

I'm not sure yet, as the Sunder are bashed together from many kits I'll probably do the same again. I've got jump packs from the Sanguinary Guard which I'll use to keep the MkIV theme strong and make them a little different. I'll raid FW for some assault MkIV Marines to spice them up and get more running legs (always harder to find!) :smile.: