Managed to finally sneak some more painting time in, the back is coming along nicely:

gallery_30308_10714_43696.jpg

Even managed to get a better picture this time :P Got to pick the purity seals and Mechanicum white and black out and that's done. Fuel barrels are on and I added a bit more metal to the main hull to break the green up some more. I plan to complete my vow this Sunday :)

Thanks baz, I do like my tanks so it'd be a pretty poor show if I didn't get some form of competence at painting them after all this time :tongue.: I'll try and get some weathering on once it's complete, but I'm still messing around with the technique a little. I'm happy with what colours I use and how they work together but I'm not yet comfortable with applying them. It could well be a matter of practice makes perfect though :smile.:

Keep going. Although it can be daunting trying to weather a super heavy it is well worth it even if you only do the rivets :)

what's the best way to do rivets? with a wash? If so, which one?

I use burnt umber oil paint thinned with turpentine, paint it around the rivet then allow it to part dry (about an hour) and use a flat headed dry brush to pull the paint in the direction the dirt would naturally flow, down for vehicles or along the wings on flyers.

Check out my Valkyrie and tanks for how I do it :smile.:

The commissariat never gives up, never stops and never surrenders. Victory or death! :thumbsup:

I thought it was cake or death?

Give us coffee with biscuits (especially bourbon cream biscuits) - or death!

Edited by elmo

what's the best way to do rivets? with a wash? If so, which one?

What elmo said, but also include TONS of patience!  Rivets take forever at the best of times . . .

I'd basecoat the whole panel, wash it with sepia, then repaint it (more paint than drybrushing, but not quite a wet brush), towards the ground, makes for a little halo of sepia around the rivets and a comet's tail towards the ground...fantastic!  Then, some of the rivets, maybe 2/5 get a light metallic drybrush, but making sure the paint never touches the side of the tank...it looks like tool marks, as if the panel has been removed and replaced since the last time the tank went to the paint shop...

Daylight starts to fade, that's the end of painting for today. A bit of a poor set of pictures sadly, this was the only one that wasn't rubbish:

gallery_30308_10714_50716.jpg

I should be able to get a much better picture on Sunday when I've finished :biggrin.: Unfortunately my painting time has been reduced so I'm not confident I can finish my Knight before the ETL ends. At least not to a decent standard I'd be ok with. This is disappointing to say the least but it is still high on my list of future projects - I may need a little break from such large endeavours after the ETL :laugh.: I still plan on doing a fourth vow I just need to check my collection of unpainted models to see what I have :smile.:

Thanks, I just wish I had got better pictures but I suppose it'll just make the completion ones better by comparison :P The models I have are mostly ineligible or too much work, but there is definitely one suitable if I can remember where I put it :) Don't worry scats I'll get my fourth vow in - death before dishonour! :tu:

Huzzah! The Stormshadow and my third vow is complete! :biggrin.:

gallery_30308_10714_81691.jpg

gallery_30308_10714_61947.jpg

gallery_30308_10714_25837.jpg

gallery_30308_10714_56593.jpg

I did a bit less of the mud type look, so it doesn't obscure all the weathering I did prior but the pictures don't pick it up too well. I'm going to take a short break and then go digging for my fourth vow... I may be some time. If I don't reappear in a few hours send a search party :laugh.:

So much for the nobility of the Blood Angels, your geneseed has been debased with pettiness! Once IFOR beats you in the ETL we'll send the Inquisition round with a few questions... :tongue.:

The exhaust casing is Brazen Brass, with a good Agrax Earthshade wash. I think Brass was one of the paints not to make the cut a few years back when they redid the paint range though.

and here he is! One Lord Commissar :biggrin.:

gallery_30308_10714_21441.jpg

gallery_30308_10714_8914.jpg

I'm giving him all the trimmings :smile.:

Of course you are. After all, Officer rations include apple sauce, gravy, roast potatoes, yorkshire pudding and so on :)

Of course you are. After all, Officer rations include apple sauce, gravy, roast potatoes, yorkshire pudding and so on :smile.:

Man... That sounds so much better than our rations... All I ever seem to get is chicken ala king with egg noodles or beef stew... With hardtack, gatorade, beef jerky, and cheese crackers. 

We don't have officer rations...