After gaming with my Marines a fair bit I'm really wanting similar formations for Guard, that's where a lot of the codex cobwebs appear. The ability to have some fluffy and nice rules to shore your army up and getting to choose the elements that make up your strike force is really cool. Oh well, I tried something a bit different I think an artillery list would need more points and artillery pieces to be effective. Perhaps I should look to some FW additions there?

For now, back to the old stalwarts methinks. Maybe a tank company list? I've yet to use all three Demolishers... :laugh.: Otherwise I need to get some more painting done for extra options but it's hard to find the time and motivation at the moment :confused:

Are there no formations at all for the IG? A poor show, GW could at least release some online or in WD or something. Perhaps they are waiting for the grand unveiling of a new codex...

In regard to painting mojo: it's a Post-ETL blip! I've prepped and assembled things happily enough but haven't found the inclination to undercoat and start painting anything new yet. When I get some spare time I'll see about re-starting painting and getting new models on the table :)

There are some from a campaign book, but nothing to write home about and there aren't any like the Marine strike forces where you can essentially build your own formation and experience army wide buffs. We've been waiting a while for a codex so I'll be disappointed if it's not this year, I'm hoping for a treat because we're owed one!

I have a FW order on the way now, nothing Guard but I'm thinking a bit of time this bank holiday spent assembling models. Still feel like I need a little break from the brushes and pots :P

To be honest I don't want a new codex this year because if the rumours are true and 8th edition is around the corner getting a codex just before that or even being the first codex of 8th ed will mean that the guard will be left behind. A bit like the codices that came just before the necron decurion.

We're due one, so it's going to happen around the same time as the new edition in all likelihood. Assuming that rumour is true of course. It wouldn't be the first time we got the short end of the stick but there's no reason to assume that being close to a new edition must mean bad news. For all we know they could get it massively wrong and we're the over powered ones that they must tone down all future codices...

Wouldn't that be a turn up for the books? :lol:

To be honest I don't want a new codex this year because if the rumours are true and 8th edition is around the corner getting a codex just before that or even being the first codex of 8th ed will mean that the guard will be left behind. A bit like the codices that came just before the necron decurion.

I tend to agree with this. Wasn't the current Guard codex the last one released before 7th edition was released?

I'm okay waiting a little longer, but then again, I scarecely play -- basically one narrative-style "tournament" per year that I attend, plus maybe 1-2 games in-between, so I don't feel like I've explored or used the current codex very much at all. Plus it seems to me that all that is really needed is some formations ... I don't really see the need for an overhauled codex. But my guard haven't hit the table in over a year so I guess I've not experienced how much we've fallen behind.

We're due one, so it's going to happen around the same time as the new edition in all likelihood. Assuming that rumour is true of course. It wouldn't be the first time we got the short end of the stick but there's no reason to assume that being close to a new edition must mean bad news. For all we know they could get it massively wrong and we're the over powered ones that they must tone down all future codices...

Wouldn't that be a turn up for the books? :laugh.:

I don't keep track of what codices are released when, I basically just focus on when the armies I myself use get released. How due are the guard? Aren't there armies out there with older codices who are "more due"? Sisters could sure use a new codex but I know that's probably not realistic (same with Inquisition) ... I think Chaos is older? But they're rumoured to get a new codex very soon. Feels like Blood Angels are older than Imperial Guard but maybe they were actually released later.

• 1 month later...

As another update to my ETL vow, I have got the transfers and last scribble script done :D All that remains is the highlighting on the carapace and the shield symbol! I've updated here too in case comrades don't check the AM section (also I'm really pleased with it and want to show off :tongue.: ).

gallery_30308_12009_34493.jpg

gallery_30308_12009_185606.jpg

gallery_30308_12009_23110.jpg

It's good to get back into the hobby again after a bit of a slump :smile.: I've been thinking about my next Guard project and I feel myself pulled towards the Bullgryns... I've got to pick up the pace on my Chaos but it has also been too long since I got some Guard done so perhaps I'll try and aim for something small, like assembling a squad for example?

When I did the Sergeant Major a while back for a challenge he didn't feel quick :tongue.: I've got some Chaos to paint, so I'll add the Bullgryns as my stuff to build :smile.: In the meantime, another game for my Guard where I slowly work on getting better at batreps... very slowly. Or possibly actually worse?

The Spoils of War @ 2,000pts

144th Arukan vs Black Templars

144th

Hidden Content
CCS - Firionel's Command

- carapace

- vox

- medic

- melta

- Nork

Chimera

- hull flamer

- heavy stubber

Techpriest

- 2x Servitors

Infantry Platoon

PCS

- vox

- 2x Grenade launcher

4x Infantry Squad

- vox

- flamer

Veterans

- 2x melta

- heavy flamer

- vox

Chimera

- hull flamer

- heavy stubber

Veterans - Semper's Heroes

- 2x plasma

- sniper

- vox

- autocannon

Banewolf

- hull flamer

Banewolf

- hull flamer

Leman Russ

- lascannon

- sponson heavy bolters

Leman Russ

- lascannon

- sponson heavy bolters

2x Wyverns

- hull flamers

Knight Paladin - Edelweiss

Black Templars

Hidden Content
Chapter Master

- relic blade

- melta bombs

Rhino

Chaplain

15x Crusade Squad

LRC

10x Crusade Squad

Ironclad

- chainfist

- melta

- 2x hunter killers

Stormraven

- multi-melta

- plasma cannon

Thunderfire Cannon

5x Assault Terminators

- 2x thunder hammers

3x Centurions

- lascannon

- heavy bolters

- missiles

Yep, it's those pesky Templars again. I lost the roll but my opponent elected to have me deploy first. My general plan was to keep the Knight central so she's harder to avoid, also means she can spearhead a push as well as get some valuable protection from alpha strikes. From that the decisions are fairly simply, blurry picture less so... Firionel rolls Old Grudes, but I re-roll to get the much more useful 18" order range. We also christen our new urban terrain mat :smile.:

gallery_30308_10077_26662.jpg

My opponent deploys simply, Crusader on my left, Thunderfire on my right hiding and Chapter Master and Centurions centrally. The rest of the force is in reserve - keen to reduce my fire power no doubt which makes my life a bit harder as there aren't any obvious choices. Fortunately he fails to seize and I can try and make the difference!

Turn 1

Most of my forces move up, the Edelweiss moving up a fair bit to get a bead on the TFC. Having long advocated their use (despite my metal TFC sitting unfinished...) I knew what it could do so decided that it would need to go. Raked by heavy stubber fire the cannon takes a wound to be finished off by rapid-fire battle cannon. That's only less thing to worry about! Wyvern fire puts a single wound on a Centurion (seems to be the rivally between these two units!). Battlecannon fire bounces off the Land Raider and that's my turn. Could be worse!

My opponent has little to do in return, taking a hull point off the left flank Chimera and the drop Dread destroying a Wyvern. They do attract a lot of attention it seems, I'll need to remember that (and use it) next time. This is a bit of a problem but I do have the tools to use with a little luck.

gallery_30308_10077_33163.jpg

Turn 2

The Knight moves up, seeking to deal with the centre or possibly break off to the Land Raider. Infantry move up and other forces rearrange to deal with the Dread. Sadly Veteran fire can only glance the Dread, but Firionel disembarks to issue an order to his melta gunner who promptly takes it out - reliable as ever! Otherwise there is little to achieve, which doesn't put the start of the game in a good position but I have only lost a Wyvern so nothing to worry about yet and I'm starting to get a few objectives under my belt.

Or maybe there is, when the termie deep strike in behind my Vets and the Stormraven with a Crusader squad and Ironclad zooms in... oh and the Chapter Master fires his orbital bombardment - all on the Knight. The orbital stike scatters and kills two Guardsmen otherwise just a couple of hull points down after the withering storm. Not too bad a result!

gallery_30308_10077_70293.jpg

Turn 3

Things are getting more interesting, my left flank prepares to deal with the LRC (plan is have the Vets pop it, and hopefully the Banewolf and Russ tag team the contents). Right flank is abandoned as I can't save the Vets but I can put distance between the Terminators and my other forces. The Edelweiss moves up behind the ruins but thanks to the Rhino's positioning will only be able to assault that. Shooting goes much better though, the Centurions are felled by battle cannon and lascannon fire - the last to a storm of lasgun and grenade launcher fire, and the left Russ puts a glance on the LRC. The Rhino is duly charged and chopped in half with two 6s! The Vets take a couple of Terminators down too, doing a fine job of selling their lives dearly.

BT shooting unfortunately also gets a boost, with the now skimming Stormraven killing most of a Squad in front of Renji's PCS and the Veteran Chimera being knocked out. The Vets manage to land some fire on overwatch (even a plasma) but fail to inflict a would. Three survive to fall back, but they roll low so don't go far. The deployed squad and Ironclad fortunately fail to achieve anything, with poor rolls even preventing them from reaching the Techpriest. Good luck for me!

In an attempt to hold up or perhaps destroy the Knight the Techmarine and Chapter Master charge. The Techmarine is cut down by two 6s and while the Chapter Master's meltabombs drop the Knight to 50% he is stomped and killed outright by another 6.

gallery_30308_10077_81980.jpg

gallery_30308_10077_53916.jpg

gallery_30308_10077_74168.jpg

gallery_30308_10077_80983.jpg

Turn 4

This is make or break time! I've been slowly building a TO lead after landing 5 in turn 3 but the Templars are about to hit in a co-ordinated fashion and that needs to be stopped! I decide to put my efforts into the centre, as I'm confident my left flank can either kill or hold up the LRC and squad for a bit. My forces shuffle up to gain better sight, with a Banewolf eagerly awaiting it's chance to shoot...

I decide that there's nothing to lose and shoot Renji's PCS's kraks at the Stormraven. Turns out it was a great move as they rolled two 6s... battle cannon fire sees the rest of the job done. Combined with chemical cannon and lasguns the Marines are wiped out too. Further fire kills another Terminator. Crucially the dismounted Vets move up and slag the LRC with some more good rolling. Multi-meltas have a deserved awful reputation in my gaming group, but the Guardsmen and their melta guns aim true :wink: The other Banewolf is sadly still moving back after a quick objective steal but at least the left Russ can offer support but only kills 4.

The Ironclad could easily cause trouble with its chainfist and melta, and would go after my Knight anyway so I figured I may as well get the charge. It ends in mutual destruction, taking the chem cannon from the Banewolf in the process but the game is in the bag now. In return there isn't much for my opponent to do. The surviving Vets are killed, and the Chaplain leads his Crusade squad to assault and take out the other Vets.

gallery_30308_10077_4444.jpg

gallery_30308_10077_84082.jpg

Turn 5

My forces reposition to hopefully bring the game to a close. Moving entirely to the right, the remaining Terminators are shot down by concentrated fire. The Crusaders are bathed in fire from the Banewolf, the Chaplain tanking a few chemicals before falling - the rest to lasgun fire. With only the drop pod left my opponent concedes, with 10-3 objectives in His hammer's favour. Victory!

I feel like maybe I could have done a little better on the list. Might be getting a bit stuck in my ways I've been playing the codex so long but I didn't want the list to be "Knight and support" :tongue.: The Knight did very well for new model syndrome, and I wasn't going to chicken out on a final duel especially when it probably wouldn't have lost me the game (just made it longer). A surprising number of 6s were rolled so I was fairly lucky too, which really helped after a slow start.

In that respect it was fortunate my opponent had relatively few units as that means my opening turns didn't cost me as perhaps they may have done otherwise. Wyverns are struggling to find good targets of late, and my rolls haven't been stellar for them so they're not delivering as much - but they may be worth it just for the attention they invariably attract! Nork was once again expensive decoration, but if that's the cost to keep my CCS unharmed there are worse ways to spend points :lol:

Next time I may need to spice things up with a different list. Maybe even add something new to the roster..?

The Knight looks amazing! The scribble script in particular is great, I might have to steal that in future. I was previously quite pleased with my scribble scripting but yours is better so I think I'll try and improve mine next time by borrowing some ideas ;)

Congrats on the win - the Knight did well and looked great on the table!

Thanks :D The scribble script is easy - helps when you don't have a steady hand as it makes it look a bit more natural as writing :P The embellished letters were a simple (and careful) red bordered with gold and a black letter done on top, so they're more of a case of patience rather than any particular skill :)

The Knight performed well, but then I'd hope so for the expense as it was over 25% of my army :P The somewhat older Guard codex enjoyed the boost from having something so tough and killy, for once my opponents pulling back in fear :P I was very lucky on the rolls too, a good 40% or so of the results for the Reaper Chainsword were 6s which made for quite the impact! I think I've settled on adding some Bullgryns to my next Guard list, I'll need to give some thought to how best to run them. Also finish the models :P

I plan to add a few more, as the weapon mounts have hoops on that would be suitable to hang a head from - but they're too thick for the chain loops so I need to source something a big larger in a matching brass. There's one on the chainsword too, but I don't imagine a trophy would survive long with all the swinging and chopping it would be doing :P

• 1 month later...

The 144th return to battle once more - this time I decided to take Pask and a tank heavy army. I'd not used him in a long time so thought it time to spice things up again.

144th vs Grey Knights @ 1750pts

Eternal War: The Scouring

Deployment: Hammer and Anvil

144th

Hidden Content
Pask/Punisher

- lascannon

- heavy bolters

Vanquisher

- lascannon

Infantry Platoon

PCS

- grenade launcher

4x IS

- flamer

Veteran Squad

- 2x melta

- heavy flamer

Chimera

- hull flamer

- pintle heavy stubber

Hellhound

- heavy bolter

Hellhound

- heavy bolter

Demolisher

- heavy flamer

Demolisher

- heavy flamer

2x Leman Russ

- lascannon

- heavy bolters

Grey Knights

Hidden Content
Grand master

- incinerator

- some kind of fancy sword with re-rolls on Force

5x Terminators

- incinerator

- 2x daemon hammer

2x Grey Knights

- 2x psycannons

Rhino

Dreadnought

- twin-linked lascannon

Dreadnought

- multi-melta

Dreadknight

- incinerator

- psycannon

- hammer (probably)

Deployment

Winning the dice off I knew my plan - deploying as far back as I could on the best half! The wall was just normal terrain here (as it's not finished, but we wanted to get some use from the various pieces and keep boards fresh) but served neatly as a defensive line. Now it would be advantage Guard, all I'd need to do is stop them getting too close as my list has no real answers to that.

gallery_30308_10077_72923.jpg

Objective 6 turns out to be nothing, and I'm not too fussed about the others - I can probably nab four next to the "Bastion" easily with my Hellhounds. I made sure there was no room for anything to deep strike into my lines without risking doom of course :tongue.: In return the GK press up as much as they can, loading the right flank.

gallery_30308_10077_70401.jpg

Turn 1

My opponent seizes the initiative. That makes twice in a row now, but conveniently twice in a row where it will probably benefit me as it means I can better react and have more guns in range. The Dreadknight comes in and lands behind a building, only scattering out a bit. This means I can see him nicely though he can also shoot.

gallery_30308_10077_48066.jpg

Otherwise it's all moving up time, the Rhinos going full speed. Shooting is ineffective. The Dreadknight runs back a bit afterwards though can't roll enough to hide...

gallery_30308_10077_21551.jpg

So far so good, but the game probably rests on the Dreadknight - if he gets in to my lines which would be easily done next turn it'd be a really steep uphill battle. Naturally this means I throw everything I have at it :tongue.: Pask orders his Vanquisher to shoot the Rhino as he unleashes hell on the Dreadknight. The Rhino is stunned but smoke protects it from further damage, and the relentless storm of death manages to plink two wounds off the Dreadknight. One Demolisher is out of range but the other puts a wound on leaving it on one.

I'm pretty much out of good guns to throw, the battle cannons would wound well but probably bounce off the 2+. I could try the lascannons should they hit, supported by heavy bolters could be enough to finish it. Which gives me the idea to use the Hellhounds as they have nothing else to do. This proves the correct decision as a blast of bolter fire gets that 1 I was looking for! The game is now mine to lose, the Russ squadron now tries its luck on the Land Raider achieving nothing but after taking down the Dreadknight I don't mind.

Turn 2

A great turn 1 from the 144th means the GK can only slog across the table hoping to reach me ASAP. The Rhinos are stopping for nothing but the Land Raider slows to shoot better. GK shooting is awful though, the Dreads doing nothing and the Land Raider destroying one of the Hellhound heavy bolters. Things are not looking good for the GK.

My armour shuffles to the left a bit for a better view, and the Hellhounds move up to intercept and delay the GK Rhino squads. Pask once more issues orders - the Vanquisher clobbers the closest Rhino and Pask manages to plink a HP off the Land Raider. The left Demolisher finishes the Rhino off and the right Demolisher puts some more hurt on the Land Raider. The damaged Hellhound BBQs five GK, with the other killing off some more leaving two remaining. So far things are looking very good.

gallery_30308_10077_85185.jpg

Turn 3

By now things are looking terrible for the GK as they are getting slapped around in exchange for one heavy bolter - however this is where they close and can turn things around. Not enough to win I don't think, at least without some serious luck as I still have opportunity to stop the rest of his forces arriving. Having achieving nothing with psycannons all game the remaining Rhino squad elects to stay put to shoot better. It doesn't help, and the Hellhound crew wonder what that sound of disappointment outside was.

The Grand Master and friends disembark and try shooting the Chimera, an incinerator failing to do anything. The foul witchery attempting Vortex of Doom fails too. The Land Raider splits fire, taking out a lasgun array and exploding the Hellhound. The Terminators then fail their charge... which probably signals the last chance of victory evaporating for the GK.

gallery_30308_10077_96070.jpg

The way forward is pretty clear for me now. The Chimera moves up the defensive line to make room and everything else prepares to shoot. The Guardsmen try to offer a hand but they must have been sleeping and achieve nothing. Good job the rest of my army isn't asleep on the job! Demolisher cannon fire supported by Pask lay into the Terminators. When the dust settles only one with a daemon hammer remains. The surviving two GK are slagged by the drive by Vets. Best bit is probably the two Russ tanks trying to get lucky - and then both glancing the Land Raider with their battle cannons :biggrin.:

gallery_30308_10077_16060.jpg

Turn 4

Victory is all but mine at this stage but the GK still have some fight in them. The Land Raider moves up, bouncing off the Demolisher and the Guardsmen ducking from the bolters. The Dreads stun the Chimera and the GK psycannons manage to glance the Hellhound.

Fire once more pours out from the combined armour of the 144th. The Land Raider falls, the lascannon Dread is stunned and the Rhino holds on with a HP left despite Pask's efforts.

gallery_30308_10077_70922.jpg

Turn 5

The stunned Dread can't shoot the Chimera, so it charges instead. The Hellhound suffers another glance and the Chimera is destroyed.

gallery_30308_10077_79824.jpg

For my turn the Hellhound moves back to be replaced by the Demolisher and the Veteran meltas slag the Dread. Once Pask and his Vanquisher explode the Rhino my opponent decides to concede. Victory to the 144th!

Another good victory, with just the losses of a Hellhound and Chimera! Things certainly went my way right from the start, and my opponent had some bad luck where it mattered. It was fortunate I could get my shooting in as I wanted, as at close range there would be little I could do against rampaging GK. That's the way it goes though, I made a calculated risk and it paid off big time :wink:

I am now faced with the prospect of maybe shelving my Guard until the next codex. It's not the Guard's fault directly, as much of the blame is down to my current meta leaving me with fewer options but it really does feel like I've been there, done that, got the t-shirt and worn it out at this stage. Ok, shelving is probably a strong term more like "focusing elsewhere" for games. I've still got some models I need to paint and getting them done will be good for motivation as it'll let me try new things out :smile.:

I had noticed I was gaming more with my Marines of late so once I realised why it seems a sensible choice. I don't want to feel bored of playing Guard so it would be best to have them as my spice for gaming to keep things fresh :smile.: Plus that buys me more time to finish some new additions like the Bullgryns. If I get them done and some Scions for example that'd be plenty to keep me going until our new codex - though I'd hope we get a new book before then, as my modelling efforts are focused elsewhere at the moment.

So I will continue gaming with my Marines for the moment, though they need some more models ideally too. Never enough time in the day! My main goal is to get my Chaos ready for some Kill Team so my Marines and Guard will offer the flavour for my painting queue :smile.:

Besides, it won't be long until next year where I'm sure to get a bit of Guard painted for the Cleansing of Ioria Campaign :wink:

Basecoat of black on all armour, white on infantry (though that's as much legacy as anything). I apply about three thin coats of Catachan Green (Castellan Green now I think? can never remember), the trick is to use a larger flat brush - appropriate to the model size of course - and methodically go in the same direction. Just imagine how a machine would do it :tongue.: Works nicely albeit a bit more time consuming, but I'll never be a fast painter anyway so I may as well do my best!

The more coats the better, for example on the Knight it must have been 6-8 or so thinner coats... but that's because I wanted to do my best on her :smile.:

Since we're here, I have another update for my Guard:

gallery_30308_3239_19500.jpg

I can already see some barrels and a sword that needs straightening, it's like being transported back in time 10 years or so :laugh.:

For the chance for Kasrkin again it's a price I'm willing to pay. Plus with my recent experience in metal being the Thunderfire Cannon these will be a cake walk in comparison! Maybe I need to bump these up the queue so you don't beat me like with the Knight :tongue.:

Seems funny now to think of it, but it wasn't all that long ago if you said GW would be doing all the things they are now I'd have shot you for being possessed :laugh.: Now if we can just get a few codices and models updated... :wink: