• 2 weeks later...

Had a small battle with my Guard today, took a 500pts list and teamed up with some GK to battle BTs and BAs. Renji got his first outing too and managed to not only avoid the curse of new model syndrome but also help carry the day. This was chiefly from issuing orders but towards the end he heroically led his squad in a charge to help out one of his Infantry Squads that was locked in combat :thumbsup:

Might take the 144th for the next game, maybe work in lots of toys with the bigger points value :) In case you're wondering I'm focusing on my Marine projects for the moment. This is partly because I've neglected them too much but mostly because I have a boat load of Marine plastic that needs sorting unlike my Guard. The two reasons may be related :laugh.: Though I do hear there's a Guard challenge coming up...

Congrats on the win. The forces of the Guard prevail :)

We both seem to gave Marine projects on the go at the moment. I am the proud owner of the Calth set which will become HH DA and a 40K successor chapter "Angels of Shadow"

Still have loads of IG to do too :)

The BaC stuff is great, I've not got the box but I did order a fair few bits from the set chiefly for my CSM use but some will find their way elsewhere. I should do an inventory of Guard models I have, there aren't many but it'll be nice to be able to tick them off and perhaps even finish every Guard model I have? That'd be a first :P

• 1 month later...

Well, the lure of the Guard couldn't keep me away for long... some basic progress but that's fine for an evening. That also means pretty terrible pictures but you should be able to make out the intended colour scheme:

gallery_30308_10604_1373.jpg

Three colours done including a bit of layering on his robes isn't a bad innings :smile.: Time is sadly short at the moment but that just means I'll have to pick up the odd model or two to paint rather than any grander plans but such is life sometimes. Looking forward to getting Boeka done, I reckon I can finish him this week :D

With no B&C or game yesterday I got Boeka finished:

gallery_30308_10604_34887.jpg

Not bad for what was a dark and dingy day, I think the pictures turned out very well considering. With limited time for the foreseeable future to paint (and daylight it seems!) my plan is to complete odd models and such. The variety will be nice especially as I enjoyed doing Boeka who's very different and help keep my hobby fires well stoked :biggrin.:

Next on my list for odd models may well be taking me to other sections of the B&C, but I'll post them up here for completeness too :smile.:

First game of the year, and the result... I guess you'll have to read and find out! Just kidding, we all know the Emperor's Hammer wins of course :wink:

The Battle of the Baneblade

His Hammer vs GK at 1750pts

This list was something unusual for me in that I sat down to forge a list... and then stopped. I usually make two or three and return to a couple to adjust before picking but I had some models I wanted to use. Namely getting both my Lord Commissar and Boeka on the table for the first time as well as the Baneblade and Enginseer. It seemed a bit odd and even in retrospect I think the list still is a bit weird but it had some elements of sense to it in the end. Oh yes I also wanted to use my Bassies. Don't give me that look :tongue.:

Combatants:

144th Arukan

Hidden Content
Lord Commissar Phileas w/Emperor's Benediction

Father Boeka

Enginseer w/2 Servitors

PCS w/2 Grenade Launchers, Sniper Rifle

4x Infantry Squads w/flamers

1 Infantry Squad w/Grenade Launcher

Semper's Heroes w/bolter, 2 Plasmas, Sniper Rifle, Grenadiers

2 Bassies w/Heavy Flamers

Demolisher w/Heavy Flamer

Demolisher w/Heavy Flamer

Baneblade w/1 Sponsons, Heavy Stubber

Grey Knights

Hidden Content
Brother Captain of some stripe with some Paladins in LRC

Couple of Strike Squads in Rhinos

Lascannon dread

MM dread

Lascannon Razorback

Deployment:

The gaming set up is a little ragtag at the moment, still sorting out translocation of bits such as terrain and the decent grass to play on but it works. The mission is to duke it out over two home objectives with the "40k classic" table edge deployment. The 144th lose the dice off and end up deploying second:

gallery_30308_10077_55851.jpg

Here's Father Boeka with his part of the Platoon, guarding the home objective:

gallery_30308_10077_101747.jpg

and the Lord Commissar Phileas himself with his part:

gallery_30308_10077_56661.jpg

Terrain was a little light, I didn't have many options so I decided to try and hedge my bets. The flamer squads where split 50:50 between Boeka and Phileas leaving the GL squad to run picket between the Demolishers. Semper's squad sits out on the flank to act as clean up and see what happens. I'm not too sure about my deployment and the nature of the two armies limited me somewhat as I know what he'd be wanting to do as much as he did me! With the Land Raider and its contents I know that they're going to dictate the game one way or another...

Turn 1 and 2

Relatively uneventful, I fail to seize the initiative and the GK transports make no hesitation. Fortunately their weapons fire is ineffective save for stripping a hull point from the Baneblade. My return fire achieves little too, I'm unable to stop the Land Raider but I do strip some hull points from a Dread and the Rhinos (Demolisher and Bassies respectively), unfortunately the GK on board pass their tests to fire normally. Which they do on turn 2, fortunately only a few Guardsmen are killed.

More pressing is the small conga line of Paladins deploying from their Land Raider. This was a couple of my mistakes; first in not reading the list properly when presented (to be fair, it was on a tablet in some program and went off the pages...) and second in leaving the space to come. The issue was all of them had meltabombs... The Baneblade was at 8 Hull Points (Enginseer fluffed his first two repaire rolls!) and I knew that this would likely decide the game.

Fortunately the Emperor looks after His true servants and despite some good rolling the dice turn for the D3 Hull Points rolls so I only lose the minimum. Even so, down to 2 HPs now and I know I need to get them off the tank if I want victory.

Turn 3

So that's what I do of course! Phileas grimly gives the order and Boeka's squad charges in - but not before some flamer, lasgun and heavy flamers from the Bassies first. Sadly this achieves little and it starts to look a bit bad. Several losses are taken on the charge and of course more in the combat, but with Boeka's hymns of fury they strike well and inflict some measure of vengeance.

At least I know that they're held for his turn for now and there was good news in that the Baneblade's guns hadn't stopped roaring death and the Lascannon Dread went down. One of the Rhinos was immobilised which would prove important later but the other came on without further issue. The Razorback proved resilient and held but the Land Raider was slowly being eroded by demolisher cannon fire.

gallery_30308_10077_74682.jpg

Turn 4+

At this stage it's all about the combat. The Grenade Launcher squad joins the charge to keep the pressure up, as I've got to keep him locked in combat during his turns. The rest of his army is broken down by heavy fire power at a steady pace, the other Dread falling to Demolisher fire and the Land Raider losing guns (I pull Phileas's squad back to avoid this somewhat and prepare for the last chance charge...).

Wounds are further plinked off the Paladins, Boeka proving unshiftable despite losing the last two members of his squad and tearing a Terminator down personally. It's very slow but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel but I'm aware I only have Philea's squad and Renji's PCS to throw in if things go south. The extra squad is routed from the field leaving Boeka alone...

Another squad joins the fray as Boeka and the remains of his squad fight on:

gallery_30308_10077_108410.jpg

Renji's PCS is pushed back after their charge, though Renji survives and Boeka eventually falls despite holding bravely but he has one parting gift in that he leaves them exposed during my turn... I realise I have a risky choice of trying to blast them off the table or charge in. The Baneblade has five Hull Points left now and can shuffle out of the way a bit so I decide to go all or bust.

Once more the Emperor smiles upon His chosen and two Demolisher cannons get hits with the scatter, reducing the enemy to just the Brother Captain and a wounded Terminator. Nice. The Apothecary falls here, having not granted a single successful Feel No Pain (very lucky for me!). At this things swiftly and securely turn my way, a Demolisher opens up the closing Rhino leaving the Baneblade's cannon to reduce them to just 4 - showing just why his immobilised Rhino squad dared not disembark so far from my lines (and being stuck out of range for two turns as a result!).

The Land Raider is finally destroyed along with the Razorback and furious lasgun fire fells the Terminators, Phileas's bolt pistol claiming retribution for the lives lost. With Semper's squad scurrying over to help secure the objective (and Renji, currently holding it alone), and only a handful of his forces left against my functional armour my opponent concedes.

Here's the end of the game - the Baneblade and objective safe from enemy traces:

gallery_30308_10077_100140.jpg

Perhaps I should have been less inclined to sate my desires when creating this list, so I'll try not to do that next time and make a more streamlined list but I can't complain. I could have played better if I didn't have a neck complaint but my opponent wasn't in the picture of health either so I think that makes it fair :laugh.: Overall it was fun, but too many eggs in one basket for more regular use of course. The batrep didn't get the name from nowhere...

Semper's Squad didn't fire a shot, but helped keep the enemy leery of approaching as close as they wanted as they hid in wait with their plasma. Helped that the Multimelta Dread was shaken about to stop it shooting well so my Demolisher could keep it at length and not get shot or charged.

I should have hung a bit further back and had my infantry literally walling the Baneblade but I expected him to try and go through the infantry first. Next time I'll focus on the bread and butter a bit more and forge a less finicky list but with the number of Marines about and 2+ saves I find it difficult to go too far from my trusty demolisher cannons...

Thanks :smile.: A good start to the year, the best way to get better at something is to do it more so I hope to record some more games and be more accurate along with additional pictures. I've been musing a bit more on the game and the Enginseer felt disappointing thanks to the first two turns of failure but I might not have felt able to risk the close firing if he hadn't put some HPs back on so he did well. It was the demolishers that properly reduced the squad to a manageable size and safely clinched the game, but they had been solid all game prior to that too so they continue to be top picks for me.

Bassies were great, didn't miss (albeit once thanks to the multiple barrage rules) and along with Semper's Heroes handled my left flank letting me concentrate on the main event. Throwing the huge pie plate around was great even if it did make the large blast feel tiny by comparison but the Baneblade dominated the game in too many ways. At least I got it on the table as I wanted and those BTs aren't chirping so much now they've witnessed the might of the Guard (I was hoping to put them in their place with this list rather than fight GK but the dice gods decreed otherwise).

I'm not sure what I might do next game (or if it'd even be Guard) but I'm going to aim to do something more optimised, though I can't guarantee I won't get carried away with another silly idea :tongue.: That said there's fun to be had in the win or lose big games if you can take the pressure :laugh.:

• 1 month later...

Almost forgot to update this again! Nork is now finished:

gallery_30308_10604_13625.jpg

He turned out well (picture aside) but isn't as good as he should be yet. I have various things going on at the moment so I'll be returning to him in the future to give him a little spruce up but he's certainly ready for the table top.

Next on my Guard list is four more Bullgryns to go with the Sergeant Major :biggrin.: This project won't start for a bit though as I want to concentrate on a couple of others for the moment and as I'm very low on Guard models probably be good to wait for the ETL to roll round. If you're interested in my other stuff I have links in my sig :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Another batrep, though mostly in name more than anything as I neglected to take notes or more than this single deployment picture:

gallery_30308_10077_22459.jpg

I really need to decide on the final positions for the Wyvern turrets and glue them together properly. Anyway, 1750pts of the Emperor's Hammer vs Black Templars.

The Inquisitor Lord's Own

Hidden Content
Firionel's Command Squad

-Bolter

-Nork

-Vox

-Chimera with HF/Stubber

Platoon

PCS

-Vox

3x Infantry Squad

-Flamer

-Vox

Semper's Heroes

-Semper with Bolter

-2x Plasma

-Sniper

-Autocannon

-Forward Sentries

Veteran Squad

-Sergeant with Bolter

-2x Melta

-Heavy Flamer

-Chimera with HF/Stubber

2x Armoured Sentinels

-Lascannon

Banewolf

-Heavy Flamer

Banewolf

-Heavy Flamer

5x Ratlings

2x Wyverns

-Heavy Flamer

Demolisher

-Heavy Flamer

Demolisher

-Heavy Flamer

Vindicare Assassin

Black Templars

Hidden Content
Captain

-Razorback

5x Tactical Squad

5x Scout Squad

10x Assault Marines

5x Swordbrethren

-Jump Packs

5x Swordbrethren (with Captain)

Ironclad

-Drop Pod

Dreadnought

-Multimelta

5x Assault Terminators

Predator Destructor

-Heavy Bolters

Vindicator

Devastator Centurions

Whirlwind

The deployment was cross ways across the table as you can see, with the decreasing tactical objectives. I placed the Ratlings and Vindicare to the top right of the picture.

Things started quite well, my deployment prevented the drop pod from landing inside my lines. Even better it fluffed the rolls against the Veteran's Chimera on the left flank! The Vindicare took the Whirlwind's launcher out which was great and Sentinel lascannon fire stunned the Vindicator. Otherwise not much I could do.

The Templars made no pause in coming, but with clever use of terrain and now free of drop pod concerns my right flank could move up quickly - Banewolfs in particular. The Wyvern's first turn was a miss but they more than made up for it every other turn! Veteran meltas damaged the Ironclad and a Demolisher's cannon annihilated both dreadnought and Drop pod :smile.: Never leave home without them :wink:

Otherwise it was all about the torrent fire. The Banewolf tanks slagged Marines left and right, one moving up behind the central building to capture point 5 as I carefully made objectives and discarded unlikely ones. My scatter rolls were on fire and the Vindicare struck vehicle after vehicle down. The Sentinels did fine work too, helping tackle the Centurions with Wyvern support.

Eventually the Terminators turned up (rolled 2s for each reserve roll!) and landed in front of my infantry. Firionel dismounts and issues FRFSRF along with his Platoon CS and the lasguns and flamers whittle them down slowly. One is left, and he saves against AP2 weapons only to fall to the humble lasgun. At this stage it's well over but my opponent is keen for some vengeance with his commander - and I keen to claim his head for a tactical objective :wink:

It was not to be, though he put up a good fight. Shrugging off an ungodly amount of ID AP2 weaponry I threw at him it's the final fusillade of lasgun fire that brings him down (with five 1s and 2s rolled!).

This was all with the "new" grenade ruling, which let my Banewolf tanks keep trucking where before they would have been certain to die. One melted his attackers before trundling off to capture an objective and the other held the enemy back for two turns before being destroyed. Quite pleased with that, plus as Guard we tend to kill tanks with shooting rather than assault so it's more of a benefit than not. The Sentinels were ready to charge in to protect armour but that wasn't necessary in the end.

It was a good game, the dice gods look after His chosen after all :wink: I really need to get better at batreps though...