As a dyed in the wool tread head I've always been an advocate of the Omnissiah. It's only recently GW has given us the proper tools for worship :wink:

Hmmm ... That sounds very close to heresy Commissar, we'll be keeping a close eye on you!!!

:p

• 4 weeks later...

Time is very short of late but I did get some games in today :biggrin.: A 1250pt list that was more built for squeezing toys in than anything else took on a SoB force and proved to be more faithful :wink: I ran Pask in a Punisher with a Vanquisher buddy and forced in a Vendetta and Manticore and managed to throw enough good dice rolls down the table to weaken the Sisters before the inevitable hits.

I've been having fun messing around with units and choices lately but it's time to get serious again so next time I'll try and forge a more coherent list. Not writing it up the night before the game would probably be a good start :tongue.:

Last night I gave the soaked Russ another scrub... some of the colours came off (the yellow) but the green, black and even red are seemingly impervious. I'm half tempted to put it on the table and see if dice are equally ineffective against it :laugh.: Short of getting a wire brush I feel like I've wasted enough time here so I'll try more hands on approaches to remove as much paint as I can before priming. I've no idea what happened to create such armoured paint, I wish I did so I could have an entire collection of models that are all but immune to chipping :tongue.:

Have you tried a toothbrush with a mild abrasive such as cif cream?

Worked great on my Devilfish.

Try to keep the russ cool with cold water whilst you do it though.

Yeah I tried that, no luck! Those 2nd Ed paints were apparently really something, I thought about a stronger brush but I don't think it'd help much given all my efforts so far yielded little :blink.: I did consider a stronger dip but I'd rather not risk any damage to the model.

GW paints are still water based acrylic. I don't think they're liquid pigment anymore though, although I'm not sure what the technical term for them is now. You can tell using them compared to say, P3 or Vallejo. GW are horrible to wet blend with as the paint separates a lot easier than better paint ranges.

But, that's irrelevant to stripping, the brush cleaner will work regardless. Normally I soak the models in a stripper first, then when cleaning them afterwards use the brush soap on the toothbrush (just like when cleaning teeth) and gently scrub the model clean. It worked perfectly for removing Army Painter undercoat, which normally turns into a nasty gloopy mess.

Now the bad news. The stuff I have (almost run out of :sad.:) was a Winsor & Newton product called Artgel. As the name suggests, it was a gel so you could put it on the brush and scrub. Unfortunately, from what I can tell it's been discontinued and their current brush cleaner is a liquid that you're meant to soak the brushes in. It'd be way to expensive to soak an entire Russ in that stuff, so honestly I can't recommend any particular cleaner to you. I tried to see if Winsor & Newton do a gel cleaner, but I couldn't find anything, it all seems to be liquid now. My suggestion would be to have a poke around art forums and see if you can find a decent brand that does gel, If not, there is also traditional brush soap which comes as a bar - that might work if you build up a lather, although I've never tried it. I can't see the liquid working too well, but I might end up giving it a try as I need some new stuff soon and if nothing else I need to keep my brushes clean.

Edit: I should also mention that Artgel is an oil paint cleaner. Given how hard oil paint is to clean out of brushes compared to acrylic, I think that is why it went through acrylic paint so easily. Seems the newer cleaners are multipurpose though, used for oil and acrylic, so I guess it doesn't matter anymore.

Edited by Toxichobbit

Typical, seems my quest must continue :tongue.: Maybe I can source something but at least I can say I made a little bit of progress today:

gallery_30308_10604_17697.jpg

Though I'm not sure if tearing a model apart counts as progress even if it's intentional! The other sponson broke a little on the front but it's very minor and will be easily sorted once I remove it properly. It should be much easier to dunk and scrub now so I might give that another go, but not for a little bit. I'm putting this Russ on the back burner, it'll be a project to return and attack periodically as a break from others :smile.:

Plenty of other projects to be doing - ones that don't fight me at every turn too :laugh.:

I'm off on holiday the rest of this week. What does a commissar do on holiday you ask? Lead troops, put down xenos and slaughter heretics of course. It sounds a lot like normal, yes, but because it's a holiday he enjoys it a lot more and gets to drink :tongue.:

gallery_30308_3239_47951.jpg

I expect to return to find lots of new shiny models to look at :wink:

Enjoy your R&R Lord Commissar WarriorFish, by your service to The Emperor have you earned it.

Fear not as, in your absence, I will dispense punishments and rewards as stated in the Commissariat rules and regulations.

...Snick... Sound of safety catch being released on Boltpistol....

Edited by elmo

I know the barracks is in the best of hands :wink: It has been a long time coming, and as a special bonus I should get more hobby time after I return too :biggrin.: Lots of work to be done on my Knight, odd models and of course the never ending crusade of the old Russ to get back to :) Plus there's something else I think we're doing in September? Can't remember what it is so its probably not important...

• 2 months later...

Been too long since I've updated this, but my free time should be settling now. Thanks to a kind donation by SW1 I have a new priest model:

gallery_30308_10604_11301.jpg

Not a great picture, but that's what you get for a quick shot after daylight has faded :tongue.: I'm looking to get him painted up soon...

Father Boeka

The Lord Inquisitor often sends people to his regiments for use, perhaps an acolyte for battlefield experience or someone that may be of use in a more permanent role. Father Boeka was sent to Firionel much to the initial consternation of the Lord Commander. The priests of Arukan are philosophers, poets and scholars - more interested in leading a flock than a charge which suits the pious and taciturn nature of the Arukani. Quite what the Inquisitor expected the bedraggled and agitated Mankunian priest to achieve was anyone's guess as he was almost the polar opposite of an Arukani.

Despite this early cultural confusion Boeka soon found himself a close ally of Firionel and a trusted advisor. Boeka's experiences across the wider Imperium gave him insight that helped smooth over many a potential disagreement, and his theological knowledge could rival even the most learned Arukani priest. While appearances may hide a bright mind they are also not misleading for Boeka's sermons are quite colourful and his exhortations on the battlefield rousing but most inspiring of all is his skill in his chainblade pole arm which he has despatched foes of many stripes with.

While his ways may not meet with full Arukani approval, his disavowal of personal possessions and simple sense of faith and duty resonates with them and after proving himself a wise advisor and brave combatant he found himself welcomed with approving nods, which is about as enthusiastic a welcome as the Arukani can give.

"The Emperor only asks for your service! How cheap a price to pay for an eternity by His side! Fight hard men and women of Arukan, show Him your strength! Your faith! It is limitless I know! Drive them from His world! Chaaaaaaaaarge!"

Father Boeka during the Liberation of Sonellio

Been too long since I've updated this, but my free time should be settling now. Thanks to a kind donation by SW1 I have a new priest model:

gallery_30308_10604_11301.jpg

Not a great picture, but that's what you get for a quick shot after daylight has faded :P I'm looking to get him painted up soon...

Father Boeka

The Lord Inquisitor often sends people to his regiments for use, perhaps an acolyte for battlefield experience or someone that may be of use in a more permanent role. Father Boeka was sent to Firionel much to the initial consternation of the Lord Commander. The priests of Arukan are philosophers, poets and scholars - more interested in leading a flock than a charge which suits the pious and taciturn nature of the Arukani. Quite what the Inquisitor expected the bedraggled and agitated Mankunian priest to achieve was anyone's guess as he was almost the polar opposite of an Arukani.

Despite this early cultural confusion Boeka soon found himself a close ally of Firionel and a trusted advisor. Boeka's experiences across the wider Imperium gave him insight that helped smooth over many a potential disagreement, and his theological knowledge could rival even the most learned Arukani priest. While appearances may hide a bright mind they are also not misleading for Boeka's sermons are quite colourful and his exhortations on the battlefield rousing but most inspiring of all is his skill in his chainblade pole arm which he has despatched foes of many stripes with.

While his ways may not meet with full Arukani approval, his disavowal of personal possessions and simple sense of faith and duty resonates with them and after proving himself a wise advisor and brave combatant he found himself welcomed with approving nods, which is about as enthusiastic a welcome as the Arukani can give.

"The Emperor only asks for your service! How cheap a price to pay for an eternity by His side! Fight hard men and women of Arukan, show Him your strength! Your faith! It is limitless I know! Drive them from His world! Chaaaaaaaaarge!"

Father Boeka during the Liberation of Sonellio

Ha Mankunian Priest love it