Better than having no time ;)

I can get behind the rationale you've applied to the Cypher. How were you thinking of tying him in paintwise? Red racing stripe down the front chest panel? That would look slick, that or the winged sword emblem (brass etched or painted) instead. Looking forward to seeing how he and the ZM board turn out.

Some phots of the ZM boards.

gallery_83859_10637_811239.jpg

Here's a close up of the one of the tiles. I added some cabling to the deck from Zinge Industries, painted the same matt red as the piping on some the terminator's bases. On the walls, I also added some Zinge bulkhead lights. The ones that came premoulded to the tiles weren't all very crisp, so I left those highlighted grey representing speakers or small vents.

The computer banks I went for dark green screens to be reminiscent of the cold screens from 80's films like Aliens.

gallery_83859_10637_263412.jpg

Here we have a Zinge bulkhead door, padded out with plasticard to fit the ZM tiles. Very happy with the quality of the door and it was a lot cheaper than ordering the equivalent from FW.

gallery_83859_10637_637098.jpg

I pinned the door so it also hinges open.

gallery_83859_10637_38024.jpg

And here's what it looks like breached!

All-in-all, quite happy with how the tiles turned out. Now I'll order a few more to have a decent sized board.

Cheers, gents.

I thought I'd return to tinkering with terminators, specifically a Techmarine Forge Lord. He'd obviously maintain the terminators' armour and Volkite weapons as well as giving them an edge in boarding actions.

gallery_83859_10637_610157.jpg

Whilst I get that Techmarines use mechandrites to hook up to machines, I've never liked them just hanging loose, dragging on the ground. I used a Death Shroud torso so the cables across the chest represent the mechandrites in an accessible position but locked away. A little green stuff around the skull turned it into the cog of the Cult Mechanicus. To make him look a bit more distinctive, I used an Imperial Fist breacher's helmet as it looks slightly sleeker and hi-tech than the usual Tartaros helmet. Finally, I put a trimmed down Contemptor Gravition power plant on top of his armour to act as the hub for his servo array.

As my other HQ choices look like they are in a melee, I opted to have this model braced whilst firing his MIU Graviton gun.

Before putting the first lick of paint on the Forge Lord, I was going over the LCAL entry and realised he could take rad grenades. As the game mechanic is they are automatically used in assault, it'd be a shame if he didn't have an auto-loader to throw them. So, some more WIP:

gallery_83859_10637_590912.jpg

I filed down and greenstuffed some krak grenades to represent the rad weapons. I clipped down a missile launcher back pack for it's servo arm and put a single grenade in it's pincer. Will need a little tweaking but quite happy with how it's looking.

• 1 month later...

Picked up Book 6 and inspiration took me on a slightly different turn, leaving the Forge Lord on the shelf for the minute. With the lower point costs for Contemptor Cortus, I'm going to put 2 in the 1000 pt ZM force.

gallery_83859_10637_211701.jpg

I went for a Secret Weapon flight deck base and added a Zinge Industries bulkhead light and power cable to it. I posed the dreadnought so he's paused over the ashes of a vanquished Night Lord, calling out his next target.

gallery_83859_10637_59009.jpg

Whilst I've modelled some fallen Night Lords on the bases of the other models, I hadn't represented one deflagarated by CHOOM. So, this time I glued sugar granules down with a clipped down NL shoulder pad and skull to smoulder in the middle. Thinking of painting the ash pile in the same effect of laser-crit'd enemies in Fallout.

Wonderful basing, and I really like the searchlight/smokelauncher combo. The pose is a little static for my liking, and while I guess you were aiming for a restrained or relaxed look, I can't shake the fact that the Contemptor offers such fantastic posing-opportunities. Oh, and Choom's looking great!

Archived