Cheers, bud. No, he's not Cypher but then, who is?

WIP on the Xenocide mini-rama continues.

gallery_83859_10637_81168.jpg

I've painted up the Deathwing veteran. Quite happy with how the green webbing looks over his Crusade armour. Likewise, quite happy with the Volkite charger/auxiliary grenade launcher as a prototype weapon from the early Great Crusade.

gallery_83859_10637_147426.jpg

Did a little freehand on his armour to represent the honours of the early Legion. It's something I'll have to work on in the future but don't think t turned out too bad. He's got the numeral 'I' on his left shoulder, yellow and red checks on his vambrace, and the Raptor Imperialis of a Unity veteran on his knee.

gallery_83859_10637_9486.jpg

Likewise, on his right shoulder he has the crossed swords of the Deathwing.

More to come.

Mini-rama complete.

gallery_83859_10637_555604.jpg

Very happy with the Secret Weapon base. Initially, I painted it a muddy brown but there wasn't enough contrast with the worms.

gallery_83859_10637_261060.jpg

Quite like the look of the Mk III Destroyer with the Breacher face plate - looks suitably grim I think. I painted the drum mag on the rotor cannon with a radiation hazard sign befitting a Destroyer's weapons. As with my Moritat, he's armed with a Zinge grenade which fit very well.

gallery_83859_10637_4492.jpg

From this side you can the simple freehand work on their right shoulder pads. The Destroyer has the hour glass of the Dreadwing as opposed to the crossed swords of the Deathwing.

The mini-rama will be the starting point for my guy's fluff.

To be honest, I was surprised by how well the MK III helmet turned out. Iron armour has always been my least favourite of the armour marks but that faceplate is surprisingly characterful. I had only ordered one specifically for this mini-rams but I may well have to get a few more.

• 1 month later...

med_gallery_83859_10637_155887.jpg

Finished assembling the Leviathan. I've gone for a slightly static pose to make sure he'll fit in the corridors of a ZM board. To keep him tied in with my Contemptors, I added a smoke launcher and spotlight on top of the chassis. I filed away the vox-grill on his chest as I don't like idea of a large unarmoured bullseye sitting just below his head.

med_gallery_83859_10637_500420.jpg

I've put a Tartaros clad Night Lord being crushed under the Leviathan's foot, trying to push the weight away. A couple of pieces of etched brass hint the base might be the bridge of a NL ship.

med_gallery_83859_10637_473228.jpg

I used plasticard to build up 3/4 of the deck with a recessed segment. I used Zinge Industries cabling, rivet strips, and a bulkhead light to tie it in with the look of the bases of the rest of the models.

Cheers, gents.

I liked how other guys have modelled their Leviathans looming over defeated Contemptors, but didn't think I could pull off the same on a hard deck base. The Tartaros is just big enough to seem like a substantial foe but small enough to actually fit on the base. Plus, like you say Cap, a Legionary can have a bit of character.

He'll be the centrepiece of the phot, Brother Pheidias!

• 1 month later...

After a bit of a delay, the Leviathan is finished.

med_gallery_83859_10637_85131.jpg

Unfortunately, the 'teeth' on the Night Lord's gorget have been hidden by the Leviathan's foot. Quite happy with how the red stripe on the chest looks compared to the stock vox grill. Likewise, I think the Volkite Calivers look better side-by-side compared to the stock model.

med_gallery_83859_10637_333410.jpg

Side view of the Bombard. I opted to paint the capacitors the same fluorescent green as on my Bolkite weapons to keep the look tied together.

med_gallery_83859_10637_396072.jpg

The side of the claw. From this angle you can also make out the lightning on the NL's leg.

med_gallery_83859_10637_244331.jpg

And how the progression of Mk IV looks across the force.

Archived