Nivlac - Not got any of the plastic Tartaros models yet. I still have about 15 resin ones to keep me busy at the snail's pace I work at.

Helts - If it's any consolation, this NL is proving the most difficult to kill. I'm trying to get him more side-on when viewed from the front but the base size is making it tricky to do without running out of room. More tinkering required!

• 1 year later...

So...

It's been a while. A combination of the pace of real life and Forgeworld's slowdown on the Heresy caused me a bit of a hobby dip. I probably won't return to the Heresy until the First Legion gets its Black Book in the mid-future but, that said, inspiration has struck us with the return of Necromunda. You can't have a gang fight in the depths of the Underhive without some suitable terrain, so I've started tinkering with:

gallery_83859_14386_793592.jpeg

Servitor Sally's Surplus Shooting Supplies.

More to come soon.

Few odds and ends today. I was expecting some gubbinz in the post that would've allowed us to finish making Sally's shack; unfortunately the post office must still be playing catch up with the Easter backlog. So, I've split my efforts between that and the start of my Delaque gang.

gallery_83859_14386_808102.jpeg

Sally's shack has now got a plasticard sign up. I'm waiting on some Sector Imperialis street lamps to add to either end. The raised hatches looked a little bare on top so I've added a strip of Zinge rivets to each.

gallery_83859_14386_735128.jpeg

Likewise, I'm still waiting on some lasguns and old-school bolters to make up the bulk of Sally's stock. A raid of the bitz-box yielded up a few items that should make the bare shelves look half decent.

Whilst waiting on those bitz, I made a tentative start on my Delaque gang leader:

gallery_83859_14386_383757.jpeg

He's very much WIP. The torso is a placeholder for the moment - again waiting on a suitable jacket to arrive - but the rest is a mix of mostly Genestealer Cult and Tempestus Scions parts. I like look of the GSC neophyte models to represent an armoured under-suit that a savvy Underhiver would wear to survive the dangerous environment of the bad zones. I replaced the GSC symbol dangling from his belt with a Goliath's karabiner. Wanting something that gave him a touch of cyberpunk, I opted for a mohawk that was also from a Goliath.

gallery_83859_14386_354311.jpeg

The concept sketch that GW previously revealed showed the Delaque ganger with vambrace mounted screens, so the TS forearms gave us those. However, I still wanted the same style elbow pads so I've pinned them to GSC arms after a bit of tinkering. Still more to do...

"Servitor Sally's Surplus Shooting Supplies" is a great concept, but why is the proprietor nicknamed "Servitor" (servitors are described as "lobotomized" in fluff)? Is Sally heavily augmented, more machine than man (or woman, as I consider the name feminine, due to famous actresses sharing it)? Or does she have a reputation of being "simple-minded"?

I'm planning on converting the forthcoming FW Belladonna model - the one with a bionic arm and leg - into Sally. I'm thinking she's compus mentus but needed to leave gang life behind after an overheating plasma gun necessitated a sudden change of career.mIn game she'll be an Ammo Jack.

"Servitor Sally's Surplus Shooting Supplies" is a great concept, but why is the proprietor nicknamed "Servitor" (servitors are described as "lobotomized" in fluff)? Is Sally heavily augmented, more machine than man (or woman, as I consider the name feminine, due to famous actresses sharing it)? Or does she have a reputation of being "simple-minded"?

Perhaps "Sally" is a servitor that some young techpriests installed there and in their juvenile humour called it Sally.

Perhaps "Sally" is a servitor that some young techpriests installed there and in their juvenile humour called it Sally.
Businesses are named after their owners, not after mascots or mere employees. If "Servitor Sally's Surplus Shooting Supplies" is actually named after a servitor, then the Tech-Priest proprietor is a known criminal, and "Sally" is a decoy meant to distract the Arbites and buy time for the proprietor to escape if officers of the law raid the place.

Businesses aren't always named after owners. Is that social media platform called Zuckerberg? AFAIK companies can be called whatever the owner wants, as long it does not violate some rules.

Finally the bitz arrived.

gallery_83859_14386_704420.jpeg

After quite a bit of clipping and filing, I married the upper torso of the Dark Vengeance cultist champion with the lower jacket of the GSC Primus for the doubly-heretical fashionable high collar. I carefully filed around and behind the Primus' abdominal armour and created a reciprocal groove in the cultist torso to marry the two up. As I've added bits to the Primus' rear belt, I filed away the moulded belt on the reverse of the model and replaced it with a piece of plasticard on the front.

gallery_83859_14386_796952.jpeg

Not the best image and my green-stuffing is a little rusty but this is what we have so far. I added a butt-stock to the grenade launcher and tweaked the sling so it's bent in the same direction as the ends of his belt. I added a trimmed off pistol grip and some green-stuff on his other hip to put back the trimmed away holster. Most importantly, I've green stuffed a chest plate and the folds of his jacket. All of it'll need a bit of smoothing out once the green stuff has dried but I'm pretty happy the model looks the way I intended in my mind.

Cheers for the kind comments. Here's Telemachus Delaque, AKA 'The Purple Punk'.

gallery_83859_14386_111328.jpeg

When I was looking for bitz online, I came across some excellent Alpha Legion operatives that resembled Delaque gangers and used the colour scheme as a basis; after all, it's some coincidence that House Delaque's coat of arms are twin snakes round a dagger. Whilst a slightly 'cold' palette, I think the mix of purple, blue, and green hints at the potential sinister links with Genestealers or Cults without being too explicit. I also think it gives the model a bit of the punk feel I was after. I left the weaponary in typical Imperial colours as a nod to Oldmunda Delaques having that Russian arms-dealer feel.

gallery_83859_14386_827881.jpeg

From behind you can see the mix of GSC and Tempestus Scion armour panels mixed together on his arms, which I think have come off well. You can also see the trimmed down Riever grapnel gun and the colour-coded grenade launcher ammo.

gallery_83859_14386_20329.jpeg

From this angle you can see a little better the assorted kit he has under his jacket, including a boot knife, ammo, and a drop rig karabiner. Also from this angle I think the dark red areas on the base nicely contrast and balance the brighter blues and green of the model.

All-in-all, I'm quite happy with how he's turned out. Think next I'll try my hand at a female champion model.

What's a drop rig karabiner?

A drop rig karabiner (or carabiner) are those metal hoop clips you see rock climbers use to attach stuff when climbing.

These things

You can see the carabiner clearly in the picture of the original kitbash without the coat, dangling off of the Delaque ganger's belt:

gallery_83859_14386_383757.jpeg

And I just learned that's what those things are called today by googling "drop rig karabiner" :laugh.: I always called them "metal hoop-clip hooks"

Ah I didn't recognize the "metal hoop-clip hook" in the picture of the painted miniature. Also I got confused because in German karabiner is a homonym, meaning either the "metal hoop-clip hooks" or a carbine depending on context.

Ah I didn't recognize the "metal hoop-clip hook" in the picture of the painted miniature. Also I got confused because in German karabiner is a homonym, meaning either the "metal hoop-clip hooks" or a carbine depending on context.

According to Wikipedia, there's a reason for that :laugh.: :

"The word [Karabiner/Carabiner] is a shortened form of Karabinerhaken (or also short Karabiner), a German phrase for a "spring hook" used by a carbine rifleman, or carabinier, to attach items to a belt or bandolier."

Archived