Thank you, 6 months ago I don't think I would have tried to do fine detail work like this as I tended in the past to go with more dry brushing and shades. But the Primaris realy showed me I actually do have the brush control to get nice results.

Over the new year I finished the wings moments before the countdown to new year. with my parents over we had been chilling and watching TV so not the most exiting celebration but I was happy to call the wings finished.

med_gallery_88567_13975_1304312.png

With these done I've put some time into the body and have the chest, Gold and bony bits/claws nearly finished with just a little tidy up work to do.

med_gallery_88567_13975_601673.png

Going to move onto the main skin shortly though might just knock the belt and cloth out of the way first. One big decisions left is whether I paint all the bumps on the gold as Gems and what colour to use. I might go for Turquoise or a deep red. It largely depends on what I do with the weapons.

Thanks everyone for the comments and likes.

I've managed to get the first blue Highlight down but it doesn't show much for photos and I recon the next big pic will be when the wings go back on.

I've been struggling a bit with getting paint on the main model as I can damage the edges by handling it too much and the thing is just to large to stick a foot to a cork. I should probably look for a good way to put a handle together with a support arm but some of the porblems with that is that I would then need to adapt how I paint and my posture for doing so.

I did consider just sticking him to a base but as the feet area is quite small Id prefer not to use a temporary base. But it will likely get in the way and for the fine detail on the shoulders and neck etc I like to hold the model closer to where I'm working.

I did however get thinking about the base and this has distracted me for some of my available working time.

med_gallery_88567_13975_587007.png

I started off by marking out some rough ideas on the base along with the attachment points for the Lord of change. Using chopped up bits of old bases I also added little raised areas for the main figures feet to attach which should be accessible for glue after the basing materials have been added. I also began building a test rock from the old bases and sprue.

med_gallery_88567_13975_199084.png

Once I had the rough idea ready to go I trimmed out the shape of the rock into the base and lowered that section. Now I could have used cork or something similar on the top but to be honest I'm just not a fan of the results from cork and don't want to up the base thickness any more than I have to.

More sprue was used to blob in round the edge of the indentation along with plenty of plastic glue to soften it all up and give a good solid weld.

The Rock was bulked out with more sprue and some tin foil from a mince pie case. before green stuff and lumps of plaster where added for the final bulk and some texture including the beginnings of some ideas to test for mounting the rock.

med_gallery_88567_13975_506734.png

I'm now at the point where the basic detail has been applied, the edge of the hole is sorted and a few bubbles added for the Lava.
A fair bit of texturing is yet to be done, sand and crackling paint for muddy/earth bits, some lava probably with PVA and I plan to use flock for smoke.
I'm quite happy with how the base of the rock is coming along inspired by this picture from www.gettyimages.co.uk

I've begun to add the fine detail in with green stuff.
med_gallery_88567_13975_551764.png
med_gallery_88567_13975_530832.png
Hopefully tomorrow once the current green stuff is set I'll finish up the splash details and get the glue in to make sure it works as I want. I've also cut the other two holes and will also use the curing time on the green stuff to work on those to bring them along and get everything ready for texture paint.

Finished the first floating rock with smoke and lava splash.

med_gallery_88567_13975_290741.png

Now I'm happy with that I've moved onto the other two rocks and textured the rest of the main base.
The smallest one needs splash detailing around the base of the rock support and is otherwise ready for flock and sand texture. The larger one needs a fair bit more green stuff adding to shape out the smoke and a heaft amount of splash details added.
Fingers crossed I can get the green stuff work finished later today when the current batch of green stuff has hardened and then this evening it might be possible to get the textures and flock onto the rocks, otherwise that'll be a job for tomorrow.

I might even prime it all tomorrow if the weather is clear.

Base is fully sculpted with all the details and just needs texturing. as it happens I got distracted while uploading pictures and ended up fully flocking all of the smoke. Which means that tomorrow morning I'll be adding the textured paint (DIY sand/glue/acrylic paint mix) to the rocks.
Final task before priming will be the Lava pools and making sure they are nice and smooth/level with some hard coat.

med_gallery_88567_13975_71114.png

While finishing the green stuff I had a lump left over so this chap came out of in box in the first time for at least 6 months.

sml_gallery_88567_11374_239266.png

Now when I sit at my computer he's glaring at me and looking back we're eye to eye.

Once I've finished the lord of change I plan to get some more work on those legs.

med_gallery_88567_13975_77094.png

And we're done. just waiting for it to dry fully or I would have got it primed, it's hard to get a photo of everything in focus with just a phone camera as the base is so large. I put a wet pallet together today and hope to have a play this evening once Kids are in bead. wish me luck.

Looking forward to seeing the Greater Daemon of Tzeentch painted! I will admit that the stock model is a bit too busy for my taste, but that's all the more reason to look forward to seeing it with your paintjob on it! It also seems like you have quite the elaborate base going there -- I just love how more involved basing projects always end up looking kinda weird (with different colours and shapes) before a common paintjob (or even an undercoat) pulls all of the disparate elements together.

What really set my heart aflutter, however, was to see that daemonic Knight again. Please return to that project ASAP -- I would really love to see that guy finished!

Thank you all for the comments, I moved away from the Knight for two reasons to begin with. I wanted to do the Primaris as I foresaw 8th revitalising the group and getting games where I didn't have to convince others to be the 'bad guys' with me. The group didn't really get much bigger gaming in and the new chaos rules for actual Legions then dragged me back in to the dark side with the need for a functional force.
I suppose my best plan of action is to use the black legion army as is and unpainted (once I replace the hellbrute with some infantry) for gaming then build up the Knight so I can add it to the 2k list along with a bit more armour.
At that point I'll be able to use the force and as I tend to paint in sub assemblies I'll work on more Tzeetch stuff so I can have the options and swap out the unpainted stuff and get a move on with the Black legion.

But first I need to make sure I finish this big project without flaking out or it'll end up getting damaged before it's finished and varnished.
with that in mind while I've been waiting for the varnish used to level the Lava pools to fully dry before priming tomorrow so instead I revisited and finished the body.
With that done I attached the wings

med_gallery_88567_13975_529013.png

Will get some better pictures later once finished but very happy with how this has come out so far.
The base is the last big job then it's just 2 hands with weapons, head, tabard and a couple of small details so hopefully won't be long left.

Thank you.
Been slowly on and off adding paint to the base

med_gallery_88567_13975_163036.png

Started as a colour test for the Lava and I'm liking hwo the smoke is comming along (note the grey is the primer not final colour)
I'm very tempted to add some to the base on the Knight.
med_gallery_88567_11374_460664.png

I figure along with the signs of rubble and the Impact crater from the wraith Knight some clouds of burning smoke and fire wil help blend the base and hide much of the rougher details from the press mould. I'm interested to hear what people think of burning eldar stuff.

Thank you both. The Lava is all finished along with basically the whole base glued some static grass on and a slight scorching dry brush may well be applied.

I've got some pictures to put up in the morning and I may add a couple more detail shots for the post.

Edited by Mechanist

The PIP picture really gives a much better impression of the effect you are going for with the base -- very promising, indeed! As you seem to be aiming for a lava effect, you may want to browse through Alex Marsh's blog, Prometian Painting, as he uses lava bases to incredible effect on his entire army -- maybe you can take some inspiration from his work when finishing the base.

Thanks Kraut. I took a look after reading your yearly awards on your blog and have now had chance to go through in more detail and added to my feedly blog role. I love how he gets the yellow so vibrant on his stuff and looking at his WIP warp rift he uses florescent paints. I'll get the finished photos up once kids have had their baths and you'll have to let me know how I compare.

Thank you. well I have a little bit of the treat now.

I finished the base as mentioned and took a pair of pictures before adding a little static grass to help it match in with the rest of my collection (the earth colour and and patches of grass are on all my models and terrain).

from the front

med_gallery_88567_13975_598201.png

And the side

med_gallery_88567_13975_75131.png

These two where taken and quickly sent onto the 40k Whatsapp group I'm in.
This morning I've taken another one post grass to show off the little bit of OSL I used round the rocks and floating bits.

med_gallery_88567_13975_573693.png

Now because couldn't wait last night I also tested out the main model to see how it's feet line up with the little plastic nubs left bare to glue him to and it turns out he stands up surprisingly stable. well enough that I could snap a couple of pictures.

gallery_88567_13975_611236.png

gallery_88567_13975_621791.png

It was difficult not to just glue him down there and then but I want his loin cloth on first which will be the next part to do hopefully tonight.

I need to not rush whats left but would love to get him into the warhammer 40 FB group painting competition for January.

The Hardest part will be not spending all day just looking at this thing, I'm insanely proud of it so far and I can't let that distract me until it's finished.

Wow amazing work! The base is really dynamic and complements the Lord of Change really well. There are a lot of well executed techniques here and, perhaps most impressive, you've blended them together well.

How did you do the smoke? The texture is really interesting

Thank you.
The smoke was built around a core of greenstuff, the basic shape for one rock can be seen (in a photo from further up) in the background of this shot.
med_gallery_88567_13975_71114.png
I then used some flock that is intended for use as foliage such as the stuff here

It feels like finely shredded upholstery foam and is a bit of a faff to get in place. I soaked it in watered down (about 50/50) PVA and started by brushing undiluted PVA onto the greenstuff. Then applied the damp flock with tweezers, sculpting tools and a brush which ended up like this,

med_gallery_88567_13975_77094.png

It's a little blurry in that one but at least it gives a before and after shot.
The beauty is that the thick rough texture with a light coloured prim will let you get your lighter colours to soak in nice and deep for a great internal heat effect. then as you move from the blazing hot smoke at the bottom you can invert back to a more normal dark recesses and grey/white highlights for a really thick smoke effect.

Now I can't take credit for the Idea I've seen it used a fair bit over the years from markers in Epic or Gothic to full on explosions or wreaked vehicles.
One guy used PVC core pipe with torn up lumps of upholstery foam on, he added the flock and painted to create pillars of smoke as Line of sight blocking terrain for flyers. Wish I could find the link as they where very cool.

This is looking so cool, can't wait to see more. Great use of the toy dinosaur as well. I'd be way too scared to try that lol

Your most welcome.

Not much to post on the Lord of change as I'm looking at the loin cloth and hope to finish it soon (tomorrow morning once toddler is in nursery finger crossed).

However I realised I never put all the pictures of my converted chosen up and having lost them due to work changes mentioned above I took a bunch more today.

First up is the champion with power sword and combi plasma,

med_gallery_88567_11401_505713.png med_gallery_88567_11401_422182.png

Made from MkIII legs and a chosen body I'm tempted to lean him forward a little when it comes to final basing as his back lean pose is a little off.

med_gallery_88567_11401_14619.png

The first of 2 combi plasma gunners his gun was spliced together from Kranon's plasma pistol and a second pistol for the longer plasma coils onto a chaos bolter. This time using Chosen legs the possessed kit provided a Torso and head.

med_gallery_88567_11401_956197.png

2nd Combi Plasma gunner spliced together from another pair of the dark vengence legs and this time MkIII Torso and head. a simple plasma pistol mounted on to of a bolter this time but the join was covered by a toothed skull detail shaved off something.

med_gallery_88567_11401_512516.png

I didn't want to go all combi weapons as they aren't exactly common. Even if these guys are a lords chosen there is limits to his armoury.

Full legs and body from dark vengeance I feel has worked well with CSM arms and a head from the possessed kit. The Plasma gun is as yet unmolested by chaos being from a loyalist kit so it may get painted in dark angle colours are recently liberated.

med_gallery_88567_11401_580563.png

Much like his plasma wielding brother this one was another arm and head swap.

med_gallery_88567_11401_509735.png

Lastly the bolter marine and squad bullet magnet is basicaly stock beyond possible backpack swap.

The Possessed kit also provided some alternative backpacks and pauldrons for the whole squad andseveral of the chosen backpacks where swapped about.

anyway let me know what you think.