• 3 weeks later...

I've not been able to get any more progress, kids not going to sleep at a reasonable time and just being knackered, primarily to blame.

I do need to get back into the habit of writing more though so I've spent a little time tonight starting the next part of the knight's history. 

First part repeated here for those that missed it.

The being sat in his throne, beyond human yet not far enough. The seven blessed, staring down at the chronometer, it was an auspicious day, eight hundred and eighty eight years marked the dial. Eight hundred and eighty eight long years since the seventh blessing, twice that since the sixth and an eternity since the first. What came Before that? Only flickers of memory, a red planet, betrayal and the discordant music.

Surround by enemies, traitors? No, friends? Surrounded and the music just on the edge of hearing, comrades in blue armour. No! Not friends, traitors to the Fabricator-General the music tells him so. One of the blue ones is trying to talk but why, why would the enemy talk? Hold his position? The enemy can’t persuade him. Lock down his comms? No he must hear the music it talks to him, tells the truth, silence traitors. He moves towards the talking one. Close formation so close, his fist racing towards the skull faceplate. Chaos erupts, rents in blue armour and the buzzing of chainswords. Fist and blade flying, smoke and ruin, surrounded on all sides, yet so close they can’t prevent their fate. The war spirit of the machine screaming in rage and pain as the discordant music rips through its cognitive circuits. Freedom, beautiful freedom, long held shackles of control broken in a moment’s action.

Time passes and the moment ends surrounded by wreckage, the fallen foes torn to pieces the one being left standing. Near silence fills the ruined hall, just the sound of cooling metal and the drips as fluids leak from ruptured lines. Yet there is something else a buzzing on the edge of consciousness the music faint now yet insistent.
One last thing to do, open the city gates.

The survivor commands his stead forward, Chainblade roaring, power field crackling around the fist and Warhorn blazing. If this was the enemy how come he was inside the gates? No! Irrelevant, the music grows louder, sounds forming; messages and visions of glory besiege his mind.
Sparks fly and the blade screams, a fist pounding against the bar keeping the gate closed. With a boom of thunder the fist’s power field releases its energy for the last time, the steed is shaken and the bar cracks, splits and shatters.

Pushing forward, the gates open, the music turns from a buzz to a crescendo as the lone survivor loyal to the Fabricator welcomes those beyond the gate, his first true brothers and sisters. Sense from the music, understanding and two words whose meaning seems insignificant filters back from a time unremembered,
“scrap code”

Part 2 

A Loud Clang echoed through the cockpit bringing reality spiralling back, the Chronometer still read 888 years and impatience boiled the 7 Blessed’s blood. The waiting drove daggers of pain though it’s skull as it surveyed the meters and dials surrounding it with bestial eyes.

Reflexive signals and a blurt of scrap code echoed around the arming chamber in response, muffled by the machine’s shell. Sluggishly the war machine responded to those commands, its fist striking out at the clumsy adept that had triggered the pain response.

A muffled scream and a thump as the Dark adept hit the wall, a feeling of warmth on the back of his hand the moment blood splattered across the war machine’s massive gauntlet. Once again memories began to surface and the being passed back into the coma of bonding as he and his steed readied for battle.

Centuries had passed since first hearing the discordant music, hundreds of battlefields millions of deaths. How naive had he been back then, believing these brothers and sisters of the music would be true, but it had been a lie. Thrown into the frontlines, used as a distraction and treated like a dog. No matter how many veterans of the house passed while he survived, no matter the odds he overcame, no matter the foes he defeated he couldn’t impress them.

They called him Proditor, gave him the scraps of the armoury and dregs as his Sacristans yet that would all change.

On a back water Mining world the Household had joined up with traitor Marines of the Iron warrior legion. Resistance had been light and there had been little worth unleashing their trained dog on. The household had terrorised the citizenry as the Warsmith’s troops had efficiently dealt with what little resistance they encountered.

Yet one last fortification stood in the way of total victory and the real spoils, the Mine Gates. Defended by two mighty macro cannons it was time for Proditor to once again charge into the jaws of death.

Yet the Household weren’t the only Mercenaries of the Iron warriors, a warband of the XII lead by the legendary 8th captain fought by their side….

• 3 weeks later...

Mate this is going fantastically. I'd hate to know what your greenstuff bill is like damn. I'm considering starting a second conversion. I am probably going to have to steal some ideas haha

Go ahead glad to know that I can share ideas and some of the things I've learnt. For greenstuff ebay is my friend, 36 inches for about

That is looking rather spectacular. I am so happy with the sculpted cables on my Angron and everything, and then I look at that Knight torso of yours, and I actually regain some kind of perspective -- talk about a reality check! :wink:

Dude your Angron is amazing and has just the right amount of work to pull of a brilliant execution to the artwork your going with.

I'm no sculptor and this is the biggest thing I've ever tackled all thanks to seeing your work on Gilgamesh, the real trick has been to take it slow use small batches of greenstuff and work up the layers, never try to go for a finished surface without a solid shape underneath so that you can focus on a textured finish without worrying about putting things out of shape. So many times in the past I've wasted the setting time I have by trying to do to much in one go and for a long time that frustration really put me off testing myself like this. 

Last time I working on a Sunday out here I slapped some youtube videos on with people working on Nurgle stuff and it really helped me.

Though now I look at the carapace spine and the latest work and know I can do better. I'll be giving that a quick once over to improve the textures and finish round the edges . I'm now working out a formula to follow. 

step 1 basic shape work, I can take whats in my head and shape it out. Allows me to set down where the transition points are and begin to think about how I tackle them. 

step 2 Formalise the area and boundaries and finish off the underlying shapes.

during the first two steps I'll add prepared structures that will leave the surface of the model, be it the cables from wires, bitz or greenstuff or the thin flat bits of greenstuff I used as a basis for the stretched fleshy bits. any greenstuff bits added like this are completely set so that I cant warp it or squash my carefully rolled cables.

Ultimately these steps are there so that I can the concentrate on adding detail without fighting against the underlying shape. I would expect this to be 2-4 sessions of greenstuff work. 

step 3 Under Textures, from this point on I'm mostly working with a mm or two at most thickness, possibly even less, where muscle or ruptured flesh will show through gently score a texture into them with lots of little lines and begin to add the first layers of fur.

step 4 next layers. Sometimes I might add more structure in here if the texture is in a void or I can see a better way to transition from fleshy to metal. overlapping layers of fur are added for depth much like you might model tiles on a roof or scales. Shape edges are roughed out more such as the vents on the back and skin has it's basic outline added.

step 5 final polish. mostly at this point it's just getting a very thin (maybe 1/4mm) layer spread down onto the surfaces I want to smooth out with silicon tools, edges and ragged skin is teased out and flaps are added. Final sharp edges are done. It's this stage I'm going to revisit the carapace spine with. 

so thats how I do it, there are many more talented people out there who could probably half the number of steps let alone the multiple greenstuff batches per step. Ultimatly I go with two rules a) use layers of very simple techniques to add up to a great whole and b) if I'm getting fingerprints in bits I consider done for that session I'm triyng to do to much so leave it and pick up a different component or put any left over greenstuff in the freezer for another session once this batch has dried.

hopefully that might help people who are seeing what I've managed despite me not having the initial skill and be tempted to try out a little more in the future. One day maybe i'll try to tackle a face or even a full figure but that is some way off, for now I'll stick to stuff where getting the proportions right is less of a problem.

This is just so much win..khorne approves this construction

I hope he does. thanks 

That is looking rather spectacular. I am so happy with the sculpted cables on my Angron and everything, and then I look at that Knight torso of yours, and I actually regain some kind of perspective -- talk about a reality check! ;)

It's like a whack in the shooglys and bop on the noggin

@ Mechanist: Thanks a lot for outlining your working process! That was a really interesting read!

I imagine my biggest mistake when working with greenstuff is a lack of patience that will usually lead to trying to do too many things at the same time, then messing up any prior work and ending up completely frustrated ;) That being said, your work on your Daemon Knight not only gave me the idea of using a cheap comb to create the tentacles, cables and tendrils I needed but also taught me to break the bigger project down into several sittings and waiting until everything was nice and solid between them. So while my work on Angron certainly doesn't stand up to the stuff you've done on the Knight, I am rather proud of myself for doing the basic shape of the head first, then adding single cables and tendrils one by one, far more patient than usual, until everything came together.

So I guess this is just my roundabout way of thanking you yet again for providing some integral parts of my conversion plan! :)

Thanks guys, seriously I wasn't that good before starting this project and it's exactly like Kraut said, once I'd realised I needed to slow up and take it easier I managed to get much better results. In doing so it encouraged me to keep going slowly and gently so as not to ruin anything, by doing so my results just got better. I also used the plastic Nurgle herald as inspiration along with the latest plastic kit by seeing how many layers and depth can add up to a whole that's greater than the sum of its parts I was encouraged to take a similar approach. Lots of very simple shapes and textures are layered together along with press moulded parts for the most complex. Most of the work is just blobby shapes, scored textures and a bit of smooth stuff. But by building each element separately and adding the depth of layers and a few pre-made cables I've got something I'm extremely proud of.

So one with the updates,

Firstly I’ve been poking the right hand side of the torso a little. I wanted cables coming out of one of the vets to help make the three on each side non symmetrical. Since the vents didn’t have the same space and I’m not quite good enough to make them look symmetrical I’ve decided to go the other way for some asymmetry and make it look intentionally

med_gallery_88567_11374_451500.png

Now the next bit I’ve been pondering whether to share now or not as it very rough right now at somewhere between stages 1 and 2 above.

Firstly I’ve been building the fluff behind the knight to explain many of the details, most of them are now roughed out and the second part of the story is now complete.

So again I'll repeat the first part in spoiler tags.

The being sat in his throne, beyond human yet not far enough. The seven blessed, staring down at the chronometer, it was an auspicious day, eight hundred and eighty eight years marked the dial. Eight hundred and eighty eight long years since the seventh blessing, twice that since the sixth and an eternity since the first. What came Before that? Only flickers of memory, a red planet, betrayal and the discordant music.
Surround by enemies, traitors? No, friends? Surrounded and the music just on the edge of hearing, comrades in blue armour. No! Not friends, traitors to the Fabricator-General the music tells him so. One of the blue ones is trying to talk but why, why would the enemy talk? Hold his position? The enemy can’t persuade him. Lock down his comms? No he must hear the music it talks to him, tells the truth, silence traitors. He moves towards the talking one. Close formation so close, his fist racing towards the skull faceplate. Chaos erupts, rents in blue armour and the buzzing of chainswords. Fist and blade flying, smoke and ruin, surrounded on all sides, yet so close they can’t prevent their fate. The war spirit of the machine screaming in rage and pain as the discordant music rips through its cognitive circuits. Freedom, beautiful freedom, long held shackles of control broken in a moment’s action.
Time passes and the moment ends surrounded by wreckage, the fallen foes torn to pieces the one being left standing. Near silence fills the ruined hall, just the sound of cooling metal and the drips as fluids leak from ruptured lines. Yet there is something else a buzzing on the edge of consciousness the music faint now yet insistent.
One last thing to do, open the city gates.
The survivor commands his stead forward, Chainblade roaring, power field crackling around the fist and Warhorn blazing. If this was the enemy how come he was inside the gates? No! Irrelevant, the music grows louder, sounds forming; messages and visions of glory besiege his mind.
Sparks fly and the blade screams, a fist pounding against the bar keeping the gate closed. With a boom of thunder the fist’s power field releases its energy for the last time, the steed is shaken and the bar cracks, splits and shatters.
Pushing forward the gates open and the music turns from a buzz to a crescendo as the lone survivor, loyal to the Fabricator welcomes his first true brothers and sisters beyond the gate. Sense from the music, understanding and two words whose meaning seems insignificant filters back from a time unremembered,
“Scrap code”

and now the full second part.

A Loud Clang echoed through the cockpit bringing reality spiralling back, the Chronometer still read 888 years and impatience boiled the 7 Blessed’s blood. The waiting drove daggers of pain though it’s skull as it surveyed the meters and dials surrounding it with bestial eyes.

Reflexive signals and a blurt of scrap code echoed around the arming chamber in response, muffled by the machine’s shell. Sluggishly the war machine responded to those commands, its fist striking out at the clumsy adept that had triggered the pain response.

A muffled scream and a thump as the Dark adept hit the wall, a feeling of warmth on the back of his hand the moment blood splattered across the war machine’s massive gauntlet. Once again memories began to surface and the being passed back into the coma of bonding as he and his steed readied for battle.

Centuries had passed since first hearing the discordant music, hundreds of battlefields millions of deaths. How naive had he been back then, believing these brothers and sisters of the music would be true, but it had been a lie. Thrown into the frontlines, used as a distraction, treated like a dog. No matter how many veterans of the house passed while he survived, no matter the odds he overcame, no matter the foes he defeated he couldn’t impress them.

They called him Proditor, gave him the scraps of the armoury and dregs as his Sacristans yet that would all change.

On a back water Mining world the Household had joined up with traitor Marines of the Iron warrior legion. Resistance had been light and there had been little worth unleashing their trained dog on. The household had terrorised the citizenry as the Warsmith’s troops had efficiently dealt with what little resistance they encountered.

Yet one last fortification stood in the way of total victory and the real spoils, the Mine Gates. Defended by two mighty macro cannons it was time for Proditor to once again charge into the jaws of death.

Yet the Household weren’t the only Mercenaries of the Iron warriors, a warband of the XII lead by the legendary 8th captain fought by their side.

There was nothing more to do now, the Warsmith was impatient and this world held no challenge. It would not be a siege, no prolonged standoff, just brute force and cannon fodder. In the middle he stood surrounded by the slaves and chaff the IV legion would drive into the guns of the defenders. Behind them came the daemon engines, experimental constructs of the legion and their dark mechanicus allies, barely controllable fusions of warp steal and flesh. Thirsting for blood these beast would chase after the rabble in front, like flesh carrots dangling just out of reach, ever driving them forward for the guns of the enemy held so much less to fear.

The insult was obvious, the household held failed daemon cursed wrecks in higher esteem than an ancient steed with a pilot of centuries experience. Fuming at this damnation the engine began its march among the rabble towards the imperial fortifications. As the beasts behind where unleashed what was a fearful cautious approach became a rout, thousands of captives and slaves poured forwards toward the enemy guns. Many of them shouted prayers of salvation pleading to be let in and away from the traitors, others cried out to the dark gods hoping to be heard and elevated in the eyes of their masters. It mattered not; the imperial filth would slay everyone without mercy all seen as traitors no matter how they came to be there.

As the rabble closed the defenders opened up, las shots and the chatter of heavy weapons coming for the closest fire points. But the macro cannons remained silent. The horde closed closer and closer yet the guns stayed silent and the fire from the guardsmen lessened, screams and the revving of chain blades could be made out over the din of the slave cattle.

This was no glorious charge into the guns of the enemy the battle was already happening and was drawing to a close. When the first macro cannon exploded the charge faltered and collapsed into uncertainty, the masses stunned into silence as the daemon engines leapt on the stragglers. When the second cannon detonated the mechanicus beast drivers pulled the engines back and the slave mob stood still totally lost as to what to do.

Yet the Iron warriors where obviously ready for this, a spearhead of rhinos and land raiders made their way up from the rear crushing anything to stunned or stupid to move out of the way. By the time they approached the fortress all fire had ceased and silence reigned within its walls. Coming to a halt by the main gates the Warsmith and his retinue disembarked from the lead land raider and the fortress doors opened to greet him.

Warriors in red stepped out with chain axes in hand, led by the unmistakeable figure of Khârn. Those watching couldn’t hear the initial exchange and the household had made its way forward to stand ahead of their hated brother closer to the gathered marines.

Something was obviously wrong and when Khârn engaged his vox to an open channel it was clear that the bloodshed was far from over. Across Vox and speaker grill the champion of the blood god condemned the cowardly actions of the Iron warriors, the weakness of the imperial forces and the affront to the blood god. Blood was needed blood and skulls, only then would the lord of the brass tower look upon this world with anything beyond contempt.

The bloody champion raised his axe in a salute to the sky before burring it deep into the warsmiths face. For a moment nothing happened, silence rang across the field as even the daemon engines stopped momentarily at the actions of the berserker. Yet it was but a moment, a fraction of a second before warriors of the twelfth legion charged. Explosions rang out as blasting charges shattered the walls and more crimson warriors launch into both flanks from the beaches.

With the words of the betrayer ringing through his mind visions of greatness and glory swam before him, Proditor they had called him then Proditor he would be. No more scraps, no more chaff, glory or death was all that mattered.

Blood for the Blood god

Seconds later and the engine of war had closed the gap to the household’s matriarch blood and oil pumping round the symbiont of man and machine as rage fuelled the vengeful strike.
Powerfield crackling with a storm of lightning the thunderstrike gauntlet tore the reactor clean from the Matriarch’s spine and launching it at her second with a volley of melta fire.

Attacked from behind the pair stood no chance, the matriarch’s steed collapsed lifeless while her reactor detonated on target, of the Baron nothing remained beyond the smoking fragments that slaughtered Iron warrior and slaves alike.

Such a sudden loss of the household’s command left the remaining pair faltering unsure where to focus before with screams of daemonic rage and hate the warp cursed experiments broke free and rampaged.

Absolute chaos erupted; with Berserkers on all sides, the hordes of slaves and chaff everywhere and daemon engines running riot the forces of the Iron warriors resorted to simple self-preservation.

Proditor warhorn shrieking praises to the blood god leapt onto the smoking ruin of the Matriarch’s steed as a stepping stone to fresh kills. Launching from the platform at the back of a rapidly retreating landraider gauntlet smashing clean through the engine, the raging warmachine once more used his kill as a missile crushing a rhino desperately trying to manoeuvre away from the rushing Berserkers. Surviving passengers desperately tried to scrabble free of the wreckage only to be met by rage incarnate, chain blade scything the warmachine scooped up the Iron warriors it his gauntlet crushing them over his carapace and anointing the engine in the gene rich blood.

Blood flowed, riping through slaves, cannon fodder and Iron warriors alike and with equal ease nothing could stand the wrath of Proditor unleashed. With little sport in the running and screaming humans the war machine turned its attention to a pack of daemon engines charging them head on smashing and cutting warp infused flesh and steel.

As the last of the daemons crashed to the ground the pilot took stock of his surroundings, the battle field was awash with blood and ruin, the Berserkers where slaughtering everything that remained with only small groups of retreating Iron warriors as any resistance. Blood hungry eyes searched the data feeds and screens for a worthy foe, 400 meters to the west a remaining member of the household battled a pack of quadrupedal engines of destruction with clawing fists and tentacles writhing from their flanks. It was clear the Errant was finished, metallic tentacles grasped from all sides while claw and fist ripped armour and cables. It had moments left at best.

Irritated at the lack of sport a searching for more the ground nearby erupted in a pillar of flame and debris before a second shell pummelled into the carapace and puldron of the steeds right hand side.

Swinging round and redirecting the Iron shield to the fore the warrior faced the last remaining household member. A paladin of insignificant rank it had survived the centuries by hanging onto Proditor’s tail and claiming his glory. Rage boiled and the blood god’s latest follower charged, Iron shield flared as the paladin fired again and again. Standing over the ruin of its matriarch the last remaining member of a forgotten household finally grew a spine before death took it.

The paladin like so many before it simply could not stand up to the rage incarnate unleashed so raw and fresh. Blocking blade on blade one on known as Proditor pummelled the paladin’s face plate. Staggering back the paladin desperately tried to bring the battle cannon to bear but was simply to slow. Swatting the cannon aside with fist the warrior of blood rammed his blade into the others chest, tearing it out through the top of the carapace bisecting the pilot in the process and showering the field with blood, oil and plasma.

The battle was over stepping back from the fight and allowing it’s hatred to cool the pilot once again took stock of the field. Something on the edge of conciseness brought his attention to focus, there before him stood Khârn, gorechild in hand. At his feet the smoking ruin of the Matriarch’s steed lay dented and broken. A moment of destiny perhaps, leaning down and ripping the carapace and hatch open revealed the half dead and wounded pilot, coughing up blood. With a skill and care hardly imaginable for such a massive war machine the leader of the household was ripped from her steed and thrown half dead at Khârn’s feet where gorechild unceremoniously took her skull for Khorn’s throne. Mirroring the blood champion’s actions the warmachine hacked the head off the knight’s wreckage before the two turn and go in search of the last prey. Exchange complete a mighty blaze enveloped the knight’s ruined pauldron and the rune of Khorne blazes brightly the dedication is complete.

The seven bless twitched in his throne and the images reseeded, after the battle he had claimed the best of the household’s Sacristans and ship and joined Khârn’s rampage across the eye of terror and beyond. Years passed; lesser battles and slaughters flickered in his mind, Shadows of time between war where dull and grey as the bonding ritual continued.

So now we have how the original knight fell to chaos during the Horus heresy and how it became a servant of the blood god.

Most importantly I get to tie in the next sculpting section, while sitting with spare green stuff (while the other bits I've been working on set) I began to look at the second pauldron.

with the story roughly worked out in my head and a rough timeline written down I knew I wanted the scene where he offers the skull of the traitor knight household's leader to Khârn and took the knight face plate for himself. I also wanted Knight face plates as trophies so it made sense to combine the two, I see the symbology of his new dedication devouring what came before.

So last night and while drinking coffee this morning the following happened.

med_gallery_88567_11374_293139.png

It's still very very rough and I need to chaosify the middle helmet to make it clear it's that of the traitor matriarch. The other two are trophies from millennia of war, most likely replacements of older ones but he always had the middle one restored or it restores itself as part of the mark of Khorn.

I'm really enjoying this as the stories are helping me bring the Knight to life and explain the gifts and blessings received before the ultimate gift. Then somehow (watch this space) ended up with a freshly born daemon prince bound into his steed instead of escaping to the warp.

That is looking rather spectacular. I am so happy with the sculpted cables on my Angron and everything, and then I look at that Knight torso of yours, and I actually regain some kind of perspective -- talk about a reality check! :wink:

Well my Shooglys just got whaked hard... 

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/324560-death-guard-wip-pandemic-aug-15-rescued-rhino-wip/

Had to link that here so I've got something to look at if my head gets to big after everyone's kind words....

Edited by Mechanist

Well my Shooglys just got whaked hard...

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/324560-death-guard-wip-pandemic-aug-15-rescued-rhino-wip/

Had to link that here so I've got something to look at if my head gets to big after everyone's kind words....

Ah everyone needs brought back down to earth some time hahah...dat fluff tho

Busy day yesterday on ship but the evening before I managed a bit more work, first up is the Skull pad (Left Pauldron)

Bit more work on the flayed flesh, slowly working round a tiny bit of greenstuff at a time and adding creases and tightening up the edges. I reckon I might have 2 more session of this to go. Then it’s just another couple of sessions to tidy up the bone edge work.

med_gallery_88567_11374_262531.png

Next up I was pondering what to do with the blank space around the Bone Icon and ridges. Blending into a smooth surface wasn’t going so well and having been inspired by Insertnamehere’s Nurgle sculpting to work on my textures I decided to try out a beaten brass/Copper coper effect. I’m liking the look of this and have since been stating to build up the bone ridges and just blend the helmets in a bit so painting inside them isn’t needed. Nothing much different to show compared to the pics I took yesterday morning so those will have to do.

med_gallery_88567_11374_536245.png

Despite not taking any new Pics this morning I did take one yesterday of the pair side by side. Since you’ve all be so great with feedback and comments here it is a bonus treat.

med_gallery_88567_11374_445902.png

Lastly I’ve not been ignoring the main torso, working in small batches I’m now in a position where stage 3 is complete and I’ve begun on stage 4 around the piping and cables. At this point there isn’t that much left so I expect a maximum of three more sessions on this bit.

med_gallery_88567_11374_18364.png

Once that’s done I have a few main areas to work through for the body before moving back to the limbs.

The Ion shield, I need something that fits alongside the massive horns.

The Melta Gun needs it’s mount and shield adding, the original bits don’t fit round the bone ridge of the carapace so will sculpt a bone one.

The tops of the braziers, they need a fair bit of clean-up work from the press mould along with flames. I have a couple of Ideas and I may go with some beaten brass textures instead of the poorly cast spikes.

Still pleanty to do and I would really like to have all of this done before going home a week on Friday.

I hope people are enjoying the fluff as much as the modelling and a always comments welcome (thoughts on the ion shield would be handy trying to work out whether to go with a fantasy Chaos Knight shield or possibly use the face of a lord of skulls on the normal shield.)

Genuinely chuffed to announce that the main torso is now finished.

med_gallery_88567_11374_209375.png

I went with much less on this side so that I can have some of the main frame showing and not overdo things.

With that I've got the peripherals (Melta Gun, Ion Shield and Brazers) to sort out before this hunk of plastic and greenstuff can get an undercoat but I'm pretty damn happy so far.

There's the added bonus that now I'm moving back to earlier stages on newer bit updates tend to get a bit more interesting, I've just been reviewing how the rear spine progressesed so dramatically back in June and July for a blog post, and as the process gets towards completion of a part the changes after an hour of work just get less and less.

It's one of the reasons I went and started the other pauldron, just to have something more generally creative to work on for a bit, though now that's got to the point of tiny tweaks and clean ups.

Still it's a good place to be, I've got tomorrow off so I expect a few batches of greenstuff around a brief trip to the shops, mostly depending on how much I drink tonight.

Today I finished the Pauldrons, all done and very happy, whats more is I started on the Fire.....

Now I've got loads of photos so far and with a bit of work I'd be happy to do a bit of a step by step, I need to finish up the sculpting it before I do so I can go from start to finish, but it would also be a fair bit of effort so checking to see wants to see it first. More encouragement means I'm more likely to sort it out.

For now though with such progress I slapped the Pauldrons in place and one arm for so Bust type shots. And wow was I exited, it really does come together and I'm so chuffed how this is going. If a year ago just before stating out I'd have seen these and someone told me that was my work Id have laughed in their face, no joking I would never have believed this possible.

Enjoy

med_gallery_88567_11374_19846.png

med_gallery_88567_11374_109008.png

med_gallery_88567_11374_876931.png

med_gallery_88567_11374_395624.png

med_gallery_88567_11374_316396.png

You are right to be proud, as that is some incredible sculpting! I love how the changes you have made to the torso even break up the silhouette, clearly showing us that this is no mere Knight with spiky bitz tacked on ;)

Surely the torso is finished now, isn't it? Because it feels like adding any more detail might end up overcluttering the model. And how about a mockup with the legs in place as well? Pretty please...? ;)

You are right to be proud, as that is some incredible sculpting! I love how the changes you have made to the torso even break up the silhouette, clearly showing us that this is no mere Knight with spiky bitz tacked on ;)

Surely the torso is finished now, isn't it? Because it feels like adding any more detail might end up overcluttering the model. And how about a mockup with the legs in place as well? Pretty please...? ;)

Yeah me too....like he said

Dude. That is so freaking cool. When are you back, I wanna see it!

Dragonlover

Next Friday, will have to try and make it over to the shop the bank holiday weekend if your at work, send a PM to arrange something.

You are right to be proud, as that is some incredible sculpting! I love how the changes you have made to the torso even break up the silhouette, clearly showing us that this is no mere Knight with spiky bitz tacked on :wink:

Surely the torso is finished now, isn't it? Because it feels like adding any more detail might end up overcluttering the model. And how about a mockup with the legs in place as well? Pretty please...? :wink:

Just got to tidy up the Braziers then it's down to the Iron shield (left the proper parts at home so that will have to wait) and the gun shield for the Melta as the propper one wont fit. 

Tiny bits only. I'm going to revisit the carapace with my new skills as it were but that's just very thin edging of the spine to bring it in line with te wound on the back and the flayed flesh on the pauldron. Again nothing extravagant just tidy up work.

Then its the arms and legs to do. I expect I'll get the braziers complete this week before fling home, after that I really hope I can get more done without needing to fly half way across the world.

You are right to be proud, as that is some incredible sculpting! I love how the changes you have made to the torso even break up the silhouette, clearly showing us that this is no mere Knight with spiky bitz tacked on :wink:

Surely the torso is finished now, isn't it? Because it feels like adding any more detail might end up overcluttering the model. And how about a mockup with the legs in place as well? Pretty please...? :wink:

Yeah me too....like he said

I'll see about getting hold of some bluetac as I didn't bring anything with me and see what can be done. Otherwise I'll try next weekend at home. 

Oh my. That is awesome!

You should feel proud indeed about this hell-forged knight. All the little details and all of that sculpting work just makes it fantastic. The fact there are barely any parts untouched with conversion just makes it even better.

Leaving no stone un-turned as it were, was one of the main goals of this, I've learnt so much and I'm probably only just across the half way mark. 

Thanks all, it's great to get feedback along the way the encouragement is a real boost.

I just discovered this, and well... I think I just... Err... Nope, I definitely just soiled my pants, you know, just a tiny bit. I want to offer some specific feedback, but there's just too much to take in and comment in a meaningful way. Just keep doing what you're doing and take lots of photos. Thanks a ton for sharing the progress. *Looks again* Daaamn... Forge World, eat your heart out!