[HH1.0] 30k Space Wolves tactics

Volth

Excited that with 8th edition GW gets a redo on our codex? :smile.:

Codex? This is the Heresy Tactica lol.

But I am looking forward to what 8th brings us, then again it wouldn't take much to be better than the poorly edited and written slop we got in Inferno.

So after 3 months. How are people fairing. Be honest, and if possible try to explain or talk through your unit choices.

I haven't played any matches recently, and I haven't made any purchases (I'm waiting on FW's kits).

But I *might* have a chance at doing another proxy battle this Sunday, if I do I'll definitely give a rundown.

So after 3 months. How are people fairing. Be honest, and if possible try to explain or talk through your unit choices.

Well ive only had one game since they came out (4k vs Imperial Fists)

Russ was a beat stick and beat down a Laviathan single handed (mostly to stop it grav-ing and auto cannoning my troops)

The deathsworn went toe to toe with phalanx warders and sigmundson and left siggi (just siggi!) sweating towards the end.

Not tried out the Varagyr yet but the Slayers were pretty regular.

The out come was a win dispite me forgetting to field one of 2 command squads

Honestly with the boost to all marine's to hit rolls (basically from a 4+ to a 3+ almost universally) I can see SW's being quite powerful in 8th edition.

Has anyone experiment with Vagayr kitted out with loads of autocannons ? I'd like to test it .

If I get a match in Sunday, I'll try and test them quick. I'm curious as well!

I think you'll find you do okay but on the other hand a unit of shatter she'll mortars costs 1/3 your cost maybe even less and puts out stronger firepower. Like they can do stuff but for the points it's pretty mediocre.

Has anyone experiment with Vagayr kitted out with loads of autocannons ? I'd like to test it .

I think you'll find you do okay but on the other hand a unit of shatter she'll mortars costs 1/3 your cost maybe even less and puts out stronger firepower. Like they can do stuff but for the points it's pretty mediocre.

The terminators are mobile and also a melee unit making them much more versatile. You can still take mortars too since they are cheap as chips. Mobile autocannons seem pretty good to me.

Edited by Black Orange

The terminators are mobile and also a melee unit making them much more versatile. You can still take mortars too since they are cheap as chips. Mobile autocannons seem pretty good to me.

Unfortunately my opponent for today is insisting on 40k only army lists, so I won't get to play test legion Wolves today :/

Which is a pity as I've really been wanting to play legion wolves (even if I'm proxying). Despite the huge gaffes in the rules the few games I've played have been amazing and it really felt like I was playing true Vlka Fenryka.

Im considering Space Wolves as my legion, but i don't know enough about how they look. The Pale Hunters appeals to me, that sort of playstyle i really like. In larger point games i will definetly add Russ for outflanking veteran tacticals, but for most it will be Hvarl Redblade (i mean a terminator hq with a heavy bolter that gives 3 squads scout.. i mean XD)

With that in mind, how would you equip Tartaros and Cataphractii? Make the Cataphractii TDA varagyr? What about the Tartaros?

What is a good bodyguard for Hvarl and or Russ?

Now I know 30K is staying with 7th ed rules for tje moment but it does sort of seem like FW have been prepping at least slightly for it, given Slayers lose out on special rules if characters join. Sign of things to come?

Thing I'm really excited for is the porting of combi-weapon rules if we do go 8th as that makes our Slayer packs even more versatile (and I might actually take some combi weapons on them).

To be honest, Russ doesn't need scout. People have been using him differently, but the results have all been pretty good. Put him in a Kharabdys and he is good to go as an expensive but effective cruise missile. Put him in with Varangyr and watch people just stay away from that side of the board. Put him in with foot slogging slayers and be on top of your opponent. He kills pretty much anything he comes into contact with. 

so after deciding between wolves and thousand sons, ive gone for wolves. yay for me!

but, with 58 pages of tactica here (gulp), I'd appreciate some advice.

I have 10 tartaros terminators, and around 40 Mark III/IV marines, all unassembled. What's the best way to kit them out - 2-3x grey slayers, 1x veteran kitted up for shooting, 1x big terminator blob? What loadouts do people use on grey slayers? Which Rite of War is best for the kinds of models I have so far?

planning on doing a footslogging horde to start with, and then maybe adding vehicles and things later on (with Russ the top of the list, of course!)