[HH1.0] 30k Space Wolves tactics

Volth

I've been casting my RoW benefit net wide and have come up with a few RoW that add something to my list that I couldn't get elsewhere. I've settled on Brethren of Iron for the time being, to get some more combat help into my list. I'm looking at units that are scary enough to draw attention of my somewhat fragile scoring units, but also cheap enough that they don't impact my unit selections too heavily.

Using Brethren of Iron I've settled on Domitar and Castallax, since they tend to draw anti-vehicle fire to kill, don't score, but definitely need to be addressed. Domitar are obviously superior on the base profile, but Castallax are seriously cheaper.

Castellax - 120

w/ Frags, Two Battle-autamata Power Blades, Multimelta

5 S6 Ap2, at Ws3, I3 on the charge

Domitar 180

w/ Frags,

4 S10 Ap2, at Ws4, I3

So the difference is 60 pts, the Domitar can fight 2 wound units, or units with FnP like Bikes. The Castellax gives me a disposable tough unit to throw at people. Shooting wise is 1 s8 shot on each, the Domitar has range, the Castellax has AP 1. Neither can really fight a Primarch solo, but I could take a pair of either.

Thoughts?

Most mechnicum players avoid Domitar they are fairly lackluster. Castellax bring much better shooting and hit almost as hard in melee if you want s10 or rending there are Castellax upgrades for that anyways.

Well MT have Artalax as an excellent option. By the time I get Castallax up to S10 130 with a multi-melta and a Siege wrecker, so not terrible. But only 2 attacks seems very low.

So what do you guys think are some good options at 1000 points?

I'm leaning towards maybe just Bloodied Claw Grey Slayer spam lead by Geigor. Red-Blade feels very expensive at 1k.

Thoughts on this?

Bloodied Claw (1000 points)

Geigor

(2x) grey slayer squads (15 dudes, AA, GFB, 3 power fists, 2 power weapons)

Veteran squad (4 combi-weapons, one power weapon)

(2x) vindicator

The theme is infantry scouring ahead of heavy artillery while elite operatives take out high-level targets.

+++ LONGBOATS THO (Warhammer 30,000 - The Horus Heresy) [1000pts] +++

++ The Age of Darkness (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List) [1000pts] ++

+ HQ +

Geigor Fell-Hand [135pts]: Legiones Astartes, Master of the Legion
Standard Wargear: Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Frag & Krak Grenades, Refractor Field, The Fell-Hand

+ Elites +

Contemptor-Cortus Class Dreadnought Talon [170pts]: Legiones Astartes
Cortus Dreadnought: Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon with inbuilt twin-linked Bolter, Heavy Conversion Beamer, Searchlight and Smoke Launchers

Legion Quad Launcher Support Battery [140pts]: 2x Legion Rapier, Legiones Astartes, Shatter Shell

+ Troops +

Grey Slayer Pack [240pts]: 14x Grey Slayers, Legiones Astartes
Additional Wargear: 3x Power Fist
Power Weapon: Power Sword
Huscarl: Artificer Armour, Great Frost Blade
Standard Wargear: Bolt Pistols, Chainswords/Combat Blades, Frag and Krak Grenades, Power Armour

Grey Slayer Pack [185pts]: 9x Grey Slayers, Legiones Astartes
Additional Wargear: 2x Power Fist
Huscarl: Artificer Armour, Great Frost Blade
Standard Wargear: Bolt Pistols, Chainswords/Combat Blades, Frag and Krak Grenades, Power Armour

+ Fast Attack +

Legion Land Speeder Squadron [130pts]
Legion Land Speeder: Graviton Gun, Multi-melta
Legion Land Speeder: Graviton Gun, Multi-melta

+ Legion +

Legiones Astartes:    VI: Space Wolves, Loyalist

Could work as pale hunters too if you really wanted ,  maybe put the speeders in reserve since you get the +1 

So what do you guys think are some good options at 1000 points?

I'm leaning towards maybe just Bloodied Claw Grey Slayer spam lead by Geigor. Red-Blade feels very expensive at 1k.

Thoughts on this?

Bloodied Claw (1000 points)

Geigor

(2x) grey slayer squads (15 dudes, AA, GFB, 3 power fists, 2 power weapons)

Veteran squad (4 combi-weapons, one power weapon)

(2x) vindicator

The theme is infantry scouring ahead of heavy artillery while elite operatives take out high-level targets.

Geigor is a solid choice only in that he has Warrior's Mettle do the GS don't lose it if he joins them.  I have been leaning towards a Predator squardons at lower points due to the amount of firepower they can put out against horde at lower levels plus some lascannon action.  Would you be giving the Veterans Marksman to possible allow them to Outflank?

-snip-

Geigor is a solid choice only in that he has Warrior's Mettle do the GS don't lose it if he joins them.  I have been leaning towards a Predator squardons at lower points due to the amount of firepower they can put out against horde at lower levels plus some lascannon action.  Would you be giving the Veterans Marksman to possible allow them to Outflank?

Yup Marksmen is the Vet tactic I'd go for. @1k I'm not too worried about a single 3+ reserve roll.

Has anyone used deathsworn yet? I really love the theme but they just seem really hard to build around as minimum I need 2 troops choices, plus a unit for my warlord before I can start spending on deathsworn.

-snip-

Yup Marksmen is the Vet tactic I'd go for. @1k I'm not too worried about a single 3+ reserve roll.

Has anyone used deathsworn yet? I really love the theme but they just seem really hard to build around as minimum I need 2 troops choices, plus a unit for my warlord before I can start spending on deathsworn.

I was actually thinking to some solution to fit them into a list, the big issue is that to me they basically only have ONE meaningful setting:

9 plain Deathsworn (since you don't reach max number in order to don't go for ridiculously expensive transports, forget about the 1-in-5 upgrades)

+ rad grenades (at least wound other Marines on 2+ and bikes on 3+)

+ Speaker of the Dead (with only 2+ AS, no IS and CC setting he is the essential guy for them gaining in survival - required in CC by that wolfy dream rule - and hitting power)

+ LR Phobos (10 of them footslogging in open ground is essentially dead flesh walking)

Such a trick is a grand total of 111 melta bombs pricey unit, which sure is not that expensive as 10 Termies with ICs on Spartan but surely prevents you to fit a lot of other stuff in the list essentially because of running out of points :smile.:

Edited by Chronos Darkhelmet

-snip-

I was actually thinking to some solution to fit them into a list, the big issue is that to me they basically only have ONE meaningful setting:

9 plain Deathsworn (since you don't reach max number in order to don't go for ridiculously expensive transports, forget about the 1-in-5 upgrades)

+ rad grenades (at least wound other Marines on 2+ and bikes on 3+)

+ Speaker of the Dead (with only 2+ AS, no IS and CC setting he is the essential guy for them gaining in survival - required in CC by that wolfy dream rule - and hitting power)

+ LR Phobos (10 of them footslogging in open ground is essentially dead flesh walking)

Such a trick is a grand total of 111 melta bombs pricey unit, which sure is not that expensive as 10 Termies with ICs on Spartan but surely prevents you to fit a lot of other stuff in the list essentially because of running out of points :smile.:

Deathsworn leave me feeling nothing. They seem cool, but something just doesn't work out for me with them in game. Maybe if they came with combat shields, had the option to buy them, came with/buy meltabombs or could buy a dedicated dreadclaw. I feel like they would be worth a serious look. As it stands taking 5 man Tartarus unit is over all better.

I think of them more like a Death Company Light with the Speaker not only being an essential part of the unit for survival but also a convienent way to get them in a list without using up a Veteran or Varangyr Elite slot.

Having seen them in action, they are pretty viscious once they get into an enemy line running amok, amok, amok.

I think of them more like a Death Company Light with the Speaker not only being an essential part of the unit for survival but also a convienent way to get them in a list without using up a Veteran or Varangyr Elite slot.

Having seen them in action, they are pretty viscious once they get into an enemy line running amok, amok, amok.

You've seen them in action?

I'd love to hear ANY information you have regarding 30k Wolves tactics.

@Baluc "Maybe if they came with combat shields, had the option to buy them, came with/buy meltabombs or could buy a dedicated dreadclaw."

They do come with the option to take Melta Bombs for 20pts

I have a tournament this weekend and I'm looking forward to seeing how the Deathsworn run. Ill Post after action report here later next week

Edited by Coptimas

I played 5 Deathsworn with Speaker at an Event about 2 weeks ago. I used a Armoured Spearhead List at 3k points and the Deathsworn we're the overall best unit in my 2 games.

I did a full write up earlier in this thread about them and can understand them being best overall. They are absolutely lethal, and point for point probably the best CC unit in the legions thus far. 

So these are my projections on what I will run based on what I have finished and what I have purchased and are getting ready to finish. 

+++ Friendly Games (Warhammer 30,000 - The Horus Heresy) [3000pts] +++

++ The Age of Darkness (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List) [3000pts] ++

+ HQ +

Legion Praetor [155pts]: Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Legiones Astartes, Master of the Legion, Paragon Blade

Priest of Fenris [125pts]: Legiones Astartes
Additional Wargear: Artificer Armour, Great Frost Blade
Speaker of the Dead: Garm-blood vial, Healing Balms, Power Maul
Standard Wargear: Bolt Pistol, Frag & Krak Grenades, Refractor Field

+ Elites +

Deathsworn Pack [485pts]: 7x Deathsworn, Legiones Astartes
Additional Wargear: Great Frost Blade
Land Raider Phobos: Armoured Ceramite, Dozer Blade, Searchlight and Smoke Launchers, Twin-Linked Lascannon Sponsons
Standard Wargear: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Frag & Krak Grenades, Power Axe, Yimira Class Stasis Bombs

Legion Terminator Squad [580pts]: Chainfist, 4x Legion Terminators, Legiones Astartes, 3x Power Fist
Legion Spartan Assault Tank: Armoured Ceramite, Dozer Blade, Flare Shield, Legiones Astartes, Quad Lascannon Sponsons, Searchlight and Smoke Launchers, Twin-Linked Heavy Bolter
Legion Terminator Sergeant: Power Fist
Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon: Terminator Armour

+ Troops +

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad [230pts]: Additional Wargear, 9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Legiones Astartes, Veteran Tactics: Marksmen
Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier: MultiMelta, Twin-Linked Bolter
Legion Veteran Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Bolter
Power Weapon: Power Axe
Standard Wargear: Bolt Pistols, Bolters, Chainswords/Combat Blades, Frag and Krak Grenades, Power Armour

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad [230pts]: Additional Wargear, 9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Legiones Astartes, Veteran Tactics: Marksmen
Standard Wargear: Bolt Pistols, Bolters, Chainswords/Combat Blades, Frag and Krak Grenades, Power Armour

+ Fast Attack +

Primaris-Lightning Strike Fighter [230pts]: Battle Servitor Control, Ground-tracking Auguries, 2x Kraken Penetrator Heavy missile, Legiones Astartes, Twin-Linked Lascannon

+ Heavy Support +

Leviathan Siege Dreadnought Talon [410pts]: Legion Dreadnought Drop Pod, Legiones Astartes
Leviathan Siege Dreadnought: Armoured Ceramite, Heavy Flamer, Heavy Flamer, Phosphex Discharger
Leviathan Siege Claw: In-built Meltagun
Leviathan Siege Drill: In-built Meltagun

+ Legion +

+ Lords of War +

Leman Russ [455pts]: Frag & Krak Grenades, Primarch

+ No Force Org +

The Wolf-kin of Russ [100pts]: Freki the Swift, Geri the Cunning, Tooth & Claw

+++ Actual Games (Warhammer 30,000 - The Horus Heresy) [3000pts] +++

++ The Age of Darkness (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List) [2105pts] ++

+ HQ +

Legion Praetor [155pts]: Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Legiones Astartes, Master of the Legion, Paragon Blade

Additional Wargear: Artificer Armour, Volkite Charger

+ Elites +

Legion Terminator Squad [580pts]: Chainfist, 4x Legion Terminators, Legiones Astartes, 3x Power Fist
Legion Spartan Assault Tank: Armoured Ceramite, Dozer Blade, Flare Shield, Legiones Astartes, Quad Lascannon Sponsons, Searchlight and Smoke Launchers, Twin-Linked Heavy Bolter

+ Troops +

+ Fast Attack +

Primaris-Lightning Strike Fighter [230pts]: Battle Servitor Control, Ground-tracking Auguries, 2x Kraken Penetrator Heavy missile, Legiones Astartes, Twin-Linked Lascannon

+ Legion +

Rite of War: The Pale Hunters

+ Lords of War +

+ No Force Org +

++ Allied Detachment (Questoris Knight Crusade Army) [895pts] ++

+ Troops +

Scion Martial [445pts]
Cerastus Knight-Atrapos: Household Rank, Lascutter, Occular Augmetics, Singularity Cannon, Super Heavy Walker

+ HQ +

Seneschal [450pts]
Cerastus Knight-Lancer: Household Rank, Super Heavy Walker

+++ Large Games (Warhammer 30,000 - The Horus Heresy) [5000pts] +++

++ The Age of Darkness (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List) [3295pts] ++

+ HQ +

Legion Centurion [140pts]: Artificer Armour, Cyber-familiar, Great Frost Blade, Legiones Astartes, Rad Grenades, Refractor Field
Consul
Forge Lord: Artificer Armour, Father to the Brethren of Iron

Legion Centurion [155pts]: Artificer Armour, Jump Pack, Legiones Astartes, Plasma Pistol, Refractor Field, Volkite Serpenta
Consul: Moritat

Additional Wargear: Artificer Armour, Great Frost Blade

+ Elites +

Deathsworn Pack [600pts]: 10x Deathsworn, Legiones Astartes, Rad Grenades
Additional Wargear: 2x Great Frost Blade
Land Raider Phobos: Armoured Ceramite, Dozer Blade, Searchlight and Smoke Launchers, Twin-Linked Lascannon Sponsons
Standard Wargear: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Frag & Krak Grenades, Power Axe, Yimira Class Stasis Bombs

+ Troops +

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad [245pts]: 9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Legiones Astartes, Veteran Tactics: Marksmen
Additional Wargear: Plasma gun

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad [245pts]: 9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Legiones Astartes, Veteran Tactics: Marksmen
Additional Wargear: Plasma gun

+ Fast Attack +

Primaris-Lightning Strike Fighter [265pts]: Battle Servitor Control, Ground-tracking Auguries, 3x Kraken Penetrator Heavy missile, Legiones Astartes, Twin-Linked Lascannon

+ Legion +

Rite of War: The Pale Hunters

+ Lords of War +

+ No Force Org +

++ Allied Detachment (Questoris Knight Crusade Army) [1705pts] ++

+ Troops +

Scion Martial [435pts]
Cerastus Knight-Atrapos: Household Rank, Lascutter, Singularity Cannon, Super Heavy Walker

Scion Martial [415pts]
Cerastus Knight-Acheron: Household Rank, Super Heavy Walker

+ HQ +

Seneschal [450pts]
Cerastus Knight-Lancer: Household Rank, Super Heavy Walker

+ Heavy Support +

Scion Arbalester [405pts]
Cerastus Knight-Castigator: Household Rank, Super Heavy Walker

I played 5 Deathsworn with Speaker at an Event about 2 weeks ago. I used a Armoured Spearhead List at 3k points and the Deathsworn we're the overall best unit in my 2 games.

How did you run them? In a phobos? Or did you footslog them?

I'm currently busying myself writing up a list based off the Sons of Ymir, the hall of dreadnoughts. I like the idea of contemptor cortus spam.

Here's a basic draft idea for a Sons of Ymir list based on the exemplary battle in inferno were they fight a sentient AI.

Basically in the toughest fighting they used dreadnoughts fighting alongside deathsworn.

2500 points (Pale Hunters)

Hvarl Red-blade (scouting/outflanking with grey slayers)

Speaker of the Dead (great frost blade)

retinue-Deathsworn squad (10 dudes, 2x power fists, rad grenades) (scouting/outflanking)

Vigilator (AA, RF, GFB) (scouting/outflanking with grey slayers)

(2x) grey slayer squads (AA, GFB, 2 power fists, 2 power weapons)

Cortus talon (2x contemptor cortus, 1x las cannon, 1 dual power fist, both with chainfist and extra armour)

Cortus talon (2x contemptor cortus, 1x las cannon, 1 dual power fist, both with chainfist and extra armour)

Deathsworn squad (10 dudes, 2 power fists, rad grenades) (scouting/outflanking)

Thoughts?

Here's a basic draft idea for a Sons of Ymir list based on the exemplary battle in inferno were they fight a sentient AI.

Basically in the toughest fighting they used dreadnoughts fighting alongside deathsworn.

2500 points (Pale Hunters)

Hvarl Red-blade (scouting/outflanking with grey slayers)

Speaker of the Dead (great frost blade)

retinue-Deathsworn squad (10 dudes, 2x power fists, rad grenades) (scouting/outflanking)

Vigilator (AA, RF, GFB) (scouting/outflanking with grey slayers)

(2x) grey slayer squads (AA, GFB, 2 power fists, 2 power weapons)

Deathsworn squad (10 dudes, 2 power fists, rad grenades) (scouting/outflanking)

Thoughts?

I feel like your only ranged anti tank is 3 lascannons? Your cortus need to walk the whole board youd almost be better off with no guns cause you'll need to be running to get there especially length wise.

Drathsworn don't die to boktguns easily but if a typhon vindicator malcador dracosan medusa etc. Sees a juicy 350 point squad in the open with no hope for saves it's not going to look pretty. I'd almost certainly put them in a land raider or a dreadclaw.

Now I'm sure somethings in your list will reach enemy lines but will enough stuff reach intact I don't know. Personally i wouldnt feel safe in a game where my only guns are 3 lascannons.

Can confirm. In one game they killed three Terror Squads, and the last guy finished a really wounded Curze.

Ran

Can confirm. In one game they killed three Terror Squads, and the last guy finished a really wounded Curze.

Ran

I wish there were pics of that awesomeness. 

You've seen them in action?

I'd love to hear ANY information you have regarding 30k Wolves tactics.

They were run in a Land Raider with a Speaker and also with a Speaker while getting to Outflank.  In those two instances, they got into it really quick.  The outflankers just folded a table edge of artillery, some armor, and a big squad of Salamanders.  The ones in the transport were pretty close to Russ and his antics and wiped one Salamander terminator squad and two Salamander squads off the board.  The last one he had that was footslogging, albeit with a Scout move at the beginning of the game ended up basically being a speed bump for Vulcan and the unit of Terminators he was running with, but they did manage to drag down some of the terminators with him.

Ideally, they need to be delivered via armor, moved up via Scout, or Outflanked to get into the squishier models that they just wipe out.  So Hvarl is almost a required choice to give them Scout, but most people will be running him anyway.  But getting them in free of a Elites slot with Speakers is what I really like about them, especially if I want to run Veterans and Varagyr. 

Oh and another thing, they had close Grey Slayers in support of them at almost every instance when they got into it with the exception of the Vulcan fight.  This additional threat didn't allow him to just massed fire to get past the 2+ like you would normally do since you basically had a unit of Grey Slayers right there as well.  So the Salamanders player was practically forced at times to split fire between GS and DS.

Oh and another thing, they had close Grey Slayers in support of them at almost every instance when they got into it with the exception of the Vulcan fight.  This additional threat didn't allow him to just massed fire to get past the 2+ like you would normally do since you basically had a unit of Grey Slayers right there as well.  So the Salamanders player was practically forced at times to split fire between GS and DS.

I like that tactic, how was he keeping up with the Deathsworn in Land Raider and the ones that outflank though?

So I've figured that it's just too expensive points wise to try and include Black Cull and Sons of Ymir in the same list, so I've revamped the list to be pretty much all dreadnoughts.

Criticisms are welcomed.

2500 points (bloodied claw)

Hvarl Red-Blade

Priest of Iron (Forge Lord) (terminator armour, conversion beamer)

Damocles Command Rhino

(2x) Grey Slayer squads (10 dudes, AA, GFB, 2 power fists, 2 power weapons, rhino DT, multi-melta) (scouting)

Grey Slayer squad (20 dudes, AA, GFB, 4 power fists, 5 power weapons, outflanking with Red-blade)

Contemptor Cortus Talon (2x cortus, 2x dual fist, 1 chainfist, 1 stock)

(2x) Deredeo pattern dreadnought (aiolis pattern missile launcher)

I also want to try and write some lists trying to utilise as many deathsworn as possible

That who situation seems like a misplay... IF you are playing a AoD mission, you kill the grey slayers because they score. If the Deathsworn are dangerous to your scoring units you kill the Deathsworn because the game is based on taking objectives. If you are playing a kill points or VP game, you kill the Deathsworn because they kill stuff. Obviously there is value in forcing the enemy to make decisions, but there are definitely better ways to do that. For example Bikes.

IF you are insistent in fielding Deathsworn. As the rules currently stand they need to have an Assault Transport, but you could probably get away with no in-unit character support.