[HH1.0] 30k Space Wolves tactics

Volth

That who situation seems like a misplay... IF you are playing a AoD mission, you kill the grey slayers because they score. If the Deathsworn are dangerous to your scoring units you kill the Deathsworn because the game is based on taking objectives. If you are playing a kill points or VP game, you kill the Deathsworn because they kill stuff. Obviously there is value in forcing the enemy to make decisions, but there are definitely better ways to do that. For example Bikes.

IF you are insistent in fielding Deathsworn. As the rules currently stand they need to have an Assault Transport, but you could probably get away with no in-unit character support.

But if you are taking deathsworn hiding Speakers in them is admittedly a convenient way of filling out the HQ requirements.

That who situation seems like a misplay... IF you are playing a AoD mission, you kill the grey slayers because they score. If the Deathsworn are dangerous to your scoring units you kill the Deathsworn because the game is based on taking objectives. If you are playing a kill points or VP game, you kill the Deathsworn because they kill stuff. Obviously there is value in forcing the enemy to make decisions, but there are definitely better ways to do that. For example Bikes.

IF you are insistent in fielding Deathsworn. As the rules currently stand they need to have an Assault Transport, but you could probably get away with no in-unit character support.

But if you are taking deathsworn hiding Speakers in them is admittedly a convenient way of filling out the HQ requirements.

I don't know If it's even that convenient it's very expensive as drathsworn are expensive speakers while worth it are actually quite expensive and a phobos us also expensive.

I'm personally really not feeling drathsworn without scoring and without a save they don't really seem like they offer much they are a power are unit with rad grenades. I'd almost always rather be e terminators from a gameplay perspective only downside to them is more transport points but a Spartan isn't to much more than a phobos and a kharybidis is the same cost as one.

Oh and another thing, they had close Grey Slayers in support of them at almost every instance when they got into it with the exception of the Vulcan fight. This additional threat didn't allow him to just massed fire to get past the 2+ like you would normally do since you basically had a unit of Grey Slayers right there as well. So the Salamanders player was practically forced at times to split fire between GS and DS.

I like that tactic, how was he keeping up with the Deathsworn in Land Raider and the ones that outflank though?

In the couple of times I have seen them in a Hvral list, the player was giving one of the GS packs Scout as well to keep up with the DS.

And you are not taking close support so much as in support within a turn. If the GS were within 18 inches at the start of the turn that was going to be good enough to support with ranged fire or as a very close counter assault unit in support of the DS.

Granted the magic moment happens when both come in on same board edge on same turn from Outflank and all hell breaks lose, but sometimes it is keeping the GS mid board in a Rhino and when the DS Outflank in, the Rhino flat outs to that side to provide support.

I use the same tactic in 40k with GH packs, one pack with dual plasma with bolsters and one pack with dual meltas and ccw. I tend to keep them in close support as they both are just sporting a 3+, but the same applies.

The same can be used with Marksman Veterans and a GS blob or Marksman Veterans and a DS w/Speaker. Close support of two 3+ units or a little less with the DS for a solid one-two punch on enemy units.

Are people taking command squads or just joining HQ to elites like Termis, Varagyr and Deathsworn the way to go? With the HQ enforcements points are tight. If so how are people kitting them out? I've only made my banner bearer so far with twin claws.

I feel command squads aren't the way to go unless you really can't afford transport space simply because scoring terminators or veterans is a really nice thing.

Now if you have sufficient scoring the best way to arm them is either non terminator probably axes and shields keep them cheap. Or terminator chainfist one and the rest power fists.

Remember Giegor has their veteran skill.

I wanna surround my Jarl with combat shields.

Read Praetor

TY.

And I plan to go hog wild with Not-Bjorn, toss him in a Spartan with 20 Grey Slayers...mwahahahahahaha*cough*hahahahahahaha

Guys would the HQ Vechile from the Armored Breakthrough Rite of War count for the non-compuslory HQ from the Legiones Astartes Space Wolves rules?

I've been toying with the idea of an armored hunting pack of Predators and other armored forces, sorta like Egil iron Wolf in 40K,

Ran

Edit: Also, would the Predators actually be ANOTHER choice for Troops instead of Grey Slayers?

Edited by Ranwulf

Guys would the HQ Vechile from the Armored Breakthrough Rite of War count for the non-compuslory HQ from the Legiones Astartes Space Wolves rules?

I've been toying with the idea of an armored hunting pack of Predators and other armored forces, sorta like Egil iron Wolf in 40K,

Ran

Edit: Also, would the Predators actually be ANOTHER choice for Troops instead of Grey Slayers?

Its unclear if SW can even take Armoured Breakthrough at the moment unfortunately. It would be an excellent RoW for SW if they could though.

Has anyone done testing between pale hunters and Bloodied claw? Which have you found the most useful?

Really depends on your play style. Bloodied Claw is low benefit low restriction, Pale Hunter is medium benefit, High restriction.

I like Pale Hunter since I take a lot of Vets, but I doubt I would ever take Bloodied Claw unless I was doing like two Combat Bike units to abuse doubling up on howl of the death wolf. Or Maxed Grey Slayer mobs. 

Ah okay, wasnt sure if it was like 40K where you could ally in different factions.... Fancied running 2 1500 point lists as pale hunters and either armoured breakthrough or bloodied claw

Ah okay, wasnt sure if it was like 40K where you could ally in different factions.... Fancied running 2 1500 point lists as pale hunters and either armoured breakthrough or bloodied claw

Would have been cool until each of those needs separate 2 hqs and in the heresy no transport sharing do honestly a huge pain in the bunghole. But also to my knowledge wouldn't work based on the allied rules.

Now pale hunters can actually make decent as an ally to another legion as it helps bring in a lighting early grants a heavy support slot some scoring and if you keep it to 1k you can just bring a cheap delegatus (unless they can't be taken in a non primary I can't recall).

• 3 weeks later...

So my groups next big paid event is a whole day of 1250 ZM custom scenarios.

I'm not sure what I want to take exactly but I figured I would ask around and see what others think would be a good idea for this.

Well My Two Working Ideas are as such 

Primarchs Chosen

+++ The DeathWolf Stalks The Ship (Warhammer 30,000 - The Horus Heresy) [1150pts] +++

++ Zone Mortalis - Combatant (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List) [1150pts] ++

+ Elites +

Contemptor-Cortus Class Dreadnought Talon [160pts]: Legiones Astartes
Cortus Dreadnought: Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon, Searchlight and Smoke Launchers, Twin-Linked Lascannon

Contemptor-Cortus Class Dreadnought Talon [150pts]: Legiones Astartes
Cortus Dreadnought: Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon, Kheres Pattern Assault Cannons, Searchlight and Smoke Launchers

+ HQ +

Leman Russ [455pts]: Frag & Krak Grenades, Primarch

The Wolfkin of Russ [100pts]:

+ Legion +

Legiones Astartes: VI: Space Wolves, Loyalist

Rite of War: Primarch's Chosen

+ Troops +

Legion Terminator Squad [205pts]: Chainfist, 4x Legion Terminators, Legiones Astartes, 3x Power Fist
Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon: Terminator Armour
Legion Terminator Sergeant: Power Fist

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad [180pts]: Additional Wargear, 9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Legiones Astartes, Veteran Tactics: Marksmen
Legion Veteran Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Bolter
Power Weapon: Power Axe
Standard Wargear: Bolt Pistols, Bolters, Chainswords/Combat Blades, Frag and Krak Grenades, Power Armour

A Sinking Ship 
+++ Rampaging  Void Wolf (Warhammer 30,000 - The Horus Heresy) [1250pts] +++

++ Zone Mortalis - Combatant (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List) [1250pts] ++

+ Elites +

Contemptor-Cortus Class Dreadnought Talon [320pts]: Legiones Astartes
Cortus Dreadnought: Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon, Searchlight and Smoke Launchers, Twin-Linked Lascannon

Legion Terminator Squad [205pts]: Chainfist, 4x Legion Terminators, Legiones Astartes, 3x Power Fist
Legion Terminator Sergeant: Power Fist
Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon: Terminator Armour

+ HQ +

Legion Praetor [155pts]: Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Legiones Astartes, Master of the Legion, Paragon Blade

Priest of Fenris [380pts]: Legiones Astartes
Additional Wargear: Great Frost Blade
Deathsworn Pack: 7x Deathsworn, Legiones Astartes, Rad Grenades
Additional Wargear: Great Frost Blade
Standard Wargear: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Frag & Krak Grenades, Power Axe, Yimira Class Stasis Bombs
Speaker of the Dead: Garm-blood vial, Healing Balms, Power Maul
Standard Wargear: Bolt Pistol, Frag & Krak Grenades, Refractor Field

+ Legion +

Legiones Astartes:    VI: Space Wolves, Loyalist

Rite of War: The Pale Hunters or The Bloodied Claws Depends 

+ Troops +

Grey Slayer Pack [190pts]: 9x Grey Slayers, Legiones Astartes
Additional Wargear: 2x Power Fist
5x Bolter
Power Weapon: Power Sword
Power Weapon: Power Sword
Huscarl: Artificer Armour, Great Frost Blade
Standard Wargear: Bolt Pistols, Chainswords/Combat Blades, Frag and Krak Grenades, Power Armour

Doesn't your first list still require a standard Centurion or Praetor? I'm away from my books but I thought that was a permanent condition.

Doesn't your first list still require a standard Centurion or Praetor? I'm away from my books but I thought that was a permanent condition.