simison

Daer'dd crafted his gun originally when he giving gifts to his brothers; then he guided Alexandros' hand in making his shield. And before he was declared Warmaster The Emperor asked Daer'dd to craft the spear for Alexandros' accention to Warmaster. Niklaas built his armour in response to Alex's being named Warmaster. IIRC.

• 2 weeks later...

Despite Alex's emphasis on equality and unity, the internal organizations of the Halcyon Wardens have an unofficial hierarchy of importance and power. This power structure is not static throughout the Legion era. 

Pre-Primarch: The Prefects/Cavalry officers are the only unspoken organization and, as such, are the most powerful one. To be granted the title Prefect is considered a higher honour than being promoted to captain.

Post-Primarch to Insurrection: The other three organizations are created by Alex, Orders of the Shield & Mind and the Diplomacy Corps. During the heyday of the Great Crusade, the Order of the Shield is considered the most elite of the organizations since they adopt Alex's personal fighting style. The Order of the Mind is ranked second in importance. The Prefects avoid being at the bottom of the barrel because the Legion is still primarily a military organization, which leaves the Diplomacy Corps as the weakest of the four organizations.

Insurrection: The Order of the Shield is shattered on the Day of Revelation, and they spend most of the Insurrection merely trying to recover it. It's during this time that the Order of the Mind ascends to most importance as their divination and telepathy becomes invaluable to countering Traitor strategies and enacting counter-intelligence operations. Their importance doubles by the end of the Insurrection as they now become the legion's most potent weapon against Chaos. The Prefects are on par with the Order of the Shield as their offensive advantages are blunted by the continuing need for defense against the Traitors' advances. Although the Diplomacy Corps also enjoys new prominence by peacefully putting down rebellions and persuading a few Traitor units to switch sides, they are still the least important of the four during this era.

Post-Insurrection to the Cohort Division: It is during the Scouring that the Diplomacy Corps becomes the most powerful organization as they allow the Imperium to retake planets and systems without firing a single shot, a very necessary skill after the devastation of the Imperium's military power at the end of the Insurrection. Following the Diplomats are the Prefects, who thrive now that the legion is back on offense, reclaiming lost territory. Meanwhile the Order of the Mind is third as they still maintain an important anti-Chaos role and support role for the Diplomats as they try to re-unite the Imperium as bloodlessly as possible. It is during this time that the Order of the Shield occupies the lowest rung of influence with Alexandros dead and only the relatively occasional need for defensive tactics.

This hierarchy comes to an end when the Legion is divided into Cohorts. While the Halcyon Warden Cohort maintains a balance between Shieldmen and Psykers, because it's permanently garrisoned on Terra means that the Prefects and the Diplomats depart to form other Cohorts where they can better serve the Imperium on the front lines.

Edited by simison

Do we know who orders the division of Cohorts, or is it too soon yet to discuss such things?

My initial idea is that it is Kozja who orchestrates the breaking of the legions to make it less likely that the Imperium will invade the Suzerainty. 

That makes sense. Will we have some who are going against the breakimg?

I like to break the wardens apart but keep them somehow connecred like the dark angels. But we are not the unforgiving^^

Edited by MikhalLeNoir

That makes sense. Will we have some who are going against the breakimg?

I like to break the wardens apart but keep them somehow connecred like the dark angels. But we are not the unforgiving^^

I'll answer this question than put a hold on this line of thought again.

Since there is no strong political leader among the Imperial Primarchs, how each legion reacts to this treaty depends more on their Primarch's reaction than the treaty itself. The power of the 'cohort' treaty derives more from a fear of a second civil war right after the Insurrection than Kozja's political acumen. So long as enough of the Imperial legions submit to the treaty, the treaty can handle one or two legions refusing the division if they swear oaths not to violate the rest of the treaty.

Fits well with me. The Void Eagles are already "cohorted" before the Insurrection, and would have after Yucahu's disappearance regardless of political decrees. "Void Eagles" is a name for History and bureaucracy, one of the 82nd flotilla will call himself an Ultima Reaver before anything else. Conversation over, back to Halcyon Wardens before and during the Insurrection. What happens to detached units within traitor legions?

Their fate depends quite a bit on which legion they are attached to. A rare few will be allowed to return to Loyalist lines to be allowed an honourable chance at war. An even rarer bunch will defect to the Stormlord. The rest will be divided between two fates: captivity and death. This will allow a few stories/battles to be focused on rescuing POWs, something we don't see a lot in the canon-verse. 

With a little breathing room, I'm pulling in old data to put on the first page and to prep the Wardens for Book 2.

Praefectus Alae/Cavalry Prefect

Any tank with the special rule Legiones Astartes (Halcyon Wardens) may take this upgrade for 20 points, which increases the unit's ballistic skill by 1. The Prefect does not survive if his tank is destroyed.

Before the Myrmidon and the Parisada came into being, the Prefects were the pride of the legion. A veteran corps of tank commanders who brought great glory to the IInd legion with their formations of armored fists. Under Alexandros, they provide the necessary firepower to tempt the enemy out of their fortifications lest they be wiped out. 

Unique Legion Wargear

Tower shield – 10 points for characters in terminator armor/15 points for non-terminator characters/50 points as a unit upgrade - Grants +1 to the model's invulnerable save and counts as defensive grenades. Models with a tower shield can never benefit from having two close combat weapons. Available to terminator squads, command squads and characters.

Pugaree - 5 points - Adds +1 to Perils of the Warp roll  

So, I'm going to renew some old debates. One, what does the Prefects fall under? A unique unit or wargear? Two, should I keep Tower Shield or trade it out for the more traditional Storm Shield (not the rule, just the name)? 

Pre-BotL, the 3 Warden characters are Irvin, Mahtva, & Pyrrhicles. 

Pyrrhicles is obviously dead by Book 2, so I planned on having the Traitor Warden have his spot.

That said, I would still love to do a proper Captain with a unique lascannon, but who would I replace?

Pre-BotL, the 3 Warden characters are Irvin, Mahtva, & Pyrrhicles. 

Pyrrhicles is obviously dead by Book 2, so I planned on having the Traitor Warden have his spot.

That said, I would still love to do a proper Captain with a unique lascannon, but who would I replace?

That's Vasilios and his Stinger, right? Maybe he can appear in Book 3?