simison

Not Storm Riders per se since the name is for the old legion, but you might see variations of it, especially if the namer (any officer/NCO can call their unit whatever they want) is Terran. So, maybe you'll see a Sergeant who's from early Crusade and call his assault squad "Masters of the Tempest" and so on.

Now that the slots style is in effect, I wanted to take another look at the Halcyon Wardens' rules. I prefer not to go with the simple Triple 3 line-up and want to mix it up to add some character. 

The question is, how so? Do I favor tech because the Wardens are the unofficial Terran Legion, much like the Imperial Fists? Or do I expand the unit roster to showcase the different aspects of the legion? Maybe I should focus more on special characters to represent the different philosophies of the Wardens? 

Right now, I have three special characters: Malis, Irvin, & Mahtva. None of them are going anywhere. 

The three units are the Myrmidon, the Caryana, and the Blitzer Squad. In all honesty, I feel like the Blitzer/Old Souls unit should be discarded. It made sense back when the Legion was a Lost Legion (vaguely disappearing the 100-year mark of the Great Crusade) to now being 240 years old. That's pushing it pretty far, so out they go. That opens up a slot.

While the three pieces of wargear are the Prefects, the Purgaree (Indian turbans), and the Tower Shield. The Shield is going nowhere, and I'm still not sure where the Prefects fit, but I want to keep them. That leaves the Purgarees, which might be negotiable. 

So, I can free up one slot for sure, but what do I do with it? Which of the three categories best represents the strength/style of the Wardens?

I'd say the diversity is what defines the Wardens, so I'd go with that over tech (particularly as we have a couple of Legions with a ton of tech).

Agreed, leave the tech for other legions. So, more units (like the Fists) or more characters (like the Sons of Horus)?

I'd say characters who modify the Generic Units / Army list to give them their own personal flavor.

That way its a bit easier to represent a Company's Culture than, say, a Unit that only exemplifies them in an elite way.

Edited by Slipstreams

I'd say characters who modify the Generic Units / Army list to give them their own personal flavor.

That way its a bit easier to represent a Company's Culture than, say, a Unit that only exemplifies them in an elite way.

Huh. I had forgotten those kinds of characters even existed. I like it. 

If I take out the Blitzers and the Purgarees, that's enough room to add two more characters. I could also take out the Prefects and have them substituted and represented by Tannhauser for a total of six characters. Or is that going overboard?

Agreed.

As far as I can tell, most of our Legions have a balanced ratio of wargear, characters and units.

Therefore, we should have at least one Legion which focuses on characters, one on units and one on wargear. :)

What? No.

The Iron Hands have Autek Mor, Castermen Orth, Shadrak Meduson and Ferrus. Their units are Gorgon Terminators and Medusan Immortals. Their wargear is Cyber Familiars and Blessed Autosimulacra. They also have the Iron Father upgrade for Praetors.

Thats it.

What? No.

The Iron Hands have Autek Mor, Castermen Orth, Shadrak Meduson and Ferrus. Their units are Gorgon Terminators and Medusan Immortals. Their wargear is Cyber Familiars and Blessed Autosimulacra. They also have the Iron Father upgrade for Praetors.

Thats it.

Wally that I am, I'd assumed a lack of models meant a lack of characters.

Sigi, I'd say you're in a similar position, perhaps even more so than Sim

I have to say, I'd see Halcyon Wardens with more units, and Crimson Lions with more Special Characters: The wardens feel more like a legion of soldiers, and so would focus more on how to deal with different threats by adapting different units to different roles, then disseminating their solution throughout their legion. Crimson Lions however are more of a legion of warriors, each clan depending more on the specific command and combat style of their Myrvallen.

I may be waaay off though :P

Also, have you considered allowing an extra slot for the legion of the warmaster and the legion of the arch-traitor?

That's true for the Lions. While they all use shield walls(Clan Tauran excepted) each Clan has weapons or styles of war or attack that they prefer, much like the Space Wolf Great Companies.

Although, an additional problem with the Crimson Lions is that their legion structure differs so much from standard that there are plenty of things that they have fluff wise but wouldn't be able to access from the crusade list and I don't have room to put in as units

That's true for the Lions. While they all use shield walls(Clan Tauran excepted) each Clan has weapons or styles of war or attack that they prefer, much like the Space Wolf Great Companies.

Although, an additional problem with the Crimson Lions is that their legion structure differs so much from standard that there are plenty of things that they have fluff wise but wouldn't be able to access from the crusade list and I don't have room to put in as units

The army lists don't really mean anything for legion structure: that's more in terms of unit wargear you have to look at...

Plus, you can always use Simison's suggestion for important Myrvalli.

Also, have you considered allowing an extra slot for the legion of the warmaster and the legion of the arch-traitor?

I wasn't considering it for the Warmaster because neither the Imperial Fists or the Sons of Horus get more slots despite their important positions. 

The Word Bearers do....actually, all of the Daemon legions are going to have to get more slots to fill in those Daemonic units that will come around, won't they?

As for the Wardens, everyone agrees that I should shy away from tech. But there's some debate to focus more on units or characters. Honestly, I'm leaning towards characters because it does emphasize the power of individual choice that the Wardens have. Remember, every Warden leader is allowed to give an entirely new to his unit to reflect his views, alongside the official, logistical designation. Every Warden is allowed to pick a personal title, and so on and so forth.

Also, I'm not sure how to create five different unique units. Thorn, how would I go about that?