A Mordian march to glory

duz_

• 1 month later...

So with the possibility of taking the Emperor's Wrath formation into another tournament I found the motivation required to complete my Basilisk. The only model I haven't finished for my armoured division.

gallery_87434_11578_151923.jpg

gallery_87434_11578_484619.jpg

I have to admit I am a bit underwhelmed with how it turned out. I probably could have done something different with the gunshield(?).

However its complete and thats the main thing!

So here is my armoured division in all its glory

gallery_87434_11578_97216.jpg

gallery_87434_11578_30496.jpg

gallery_87434_11578_235594.jpg

Next requisition will be a Baneblade, after that the new guard codex will have to convince me I need more tanks. Currently I rarely field them at all (excluding wyvrens of course! ;) )

That's a pretty impressive Armored Column. I hope to Match it soon, with baneblades, a second LR Demolisher, a second wyvern, a manticore, and a couple of basilisks... Currently I have 2 Taurox primes, a Wyvern, 4 leman Russes, and 4 chimeras. I also hope to get a trio of drop sentinels, and a couple of thunderbolts... My Airborne Forces will be just as impressive as my armored one...

I am unbelievably impressed by the crispness of the white on your models. Too many times I have seen white look washed out (especially when I try...). I cannot wait to see what it will look like on a baneblade...

Thanks guys! I cheat on the white I use the Corax spray, wash the areas I want to keep dark/dirty then dry brush with White Scar. It works the treat though! ;)

I personally wouldn't mind another of each LR kit so I can magentise and have on hand, but I rarely use them so it would be a bit pointless. If they don't update the snap firing rules next codex/edition I will convert my old Demolisher to have a HFlamer standard. For now I will just keep the lascannon on because I dont want to chop it off. 

I'd like another couple of Chimeras, Taroux and Taroux primes, but I don't count transports as they have a completely different role to the tanks.

A third wyvren would be diabolical, although I might wait to see they don't get nerfed or doubled in price first. 

So as I eluded to on my army list thread I have a larger tournament I hope to make in October.

I had initially planned to take my fledgling Raven Guard force. However given I'm still trying to land a job in the land of the free I doubt I will have collected all the necessary pieces, let alone get it to a satisfactory paint standard to bring it along. 

So between play testing the last list, realising that my RG probably won't be ready and accepting that I probably won't make the top tables regardless of what I bring. I have decided that I will bring a fun IG list to the tournament, with the intention that I can show case my army and hopefully have some fun games against people who are of a similar mindset to me or have just entered the hobby. 

The list it self is a CAD with Xenos Inquisitor and AEGIS defence line. 

Inqusition:

Ordo Xenos Inquisitor [bolt Pistol, Carapace Armour, Chainsword, 3x Servo Skulls]

AM (CAD):

+ No Force Org Slot +

Ministorum Priest [Autogun]

Primaris Psyker [Force Staff, Psyker Mastery Level 1]

+ HQ +

Company Command Squad [Carapace Armour, Flamer, Veteran w/ Laspistol & CCW, 2x Meltagun]

Astropath

Chimera [Dozer Blade, Heavy Bolter, Multi-laser]

Company Commander [bolt Pistol, Carapace Armour] (Bolt pistol because thats how my Mordian commanders are modeled)

Tank Commander

Battle Tank [Dozer Blade, Heavy Bolter]

Command Punisher [2x Heavy Bolter, Dozer Blade, Heavy Bolter, Knight Commander Pask, Warlord]

+ Elites +

5x Militarum Tempestus Scions [2x Meltagun]

+ Troops +

Infantry Platoon

30x Conscripts

2x Infantry Squad [Flamer, Taurox]

Infantry Squad [Grenade Launcher, Lascannon Team]

Infantry Squad [Lascannon Team]

Platoon Command Squad [2x Flamer, Taurox]

Veterans [Grenadiers, 3x Veteran w/ Plasma Gun]

+ Heavy Support +

Deathstrike

Wyvern 

Wyvern 

+ Fortification +

Aegis Defense Line

Logic is the priest goes with conscripts and provides bubble wrap / tarpit duties.

Psyker with telepathy goes with the two lascannon squads behind the aegis with the artillery behind them. 

Mounted platoons are primarily there for grabbing objectives and providing support to the CCS and vets. 

CCS and vets will hunt TEQ's/MC's.

I had hoped to squeeze out another lascannon squad, but with the conscripts there I can't afford it.

I'm not sure if I should make room for a Scion Allied detachment or bring in some air support (although that would most likely be a Valk, because my vendetta is still on the other side of the pond). 

For theme I would have loved to get a commissar in too, but not sure he's worth reducing the over effectiveness of the army. And we all know the commissars don't enjoy the presence of psykers.

This army is meant to have a bit of bite, and survive an attrition battle to turn 5 (at which point hopefully time will be called!).

Actually come to think of it I may only have to paint a handful of Mordians, but I could well end up repaint some of my Cadians.

The only way to cheat at painting is to have someone else do it ;)

As to the list, it has a few suboptimal choices somewhat like in the Platoon but you can only work with what you've got. I'd try for a different TC buddy tank, but even with this the list has some potential. So while you will certainly be the underdog you will be able to make it difficult and maybe surprise some people. Heroics are made from this!

So seeing as my show case list requires an AEGIS defence line I dug out mine.

The last time I used this was when I had just got back into the hobby. At the time my local store was doing a small 500-1000pt league and it was an easy way to give me troops some survivablity. (Fortunately there wasn't any Tau players around at the time).

Any how at the time I just slapped a dry brush and wash on it to have it somewhat painted. It also fitted the scheme of my Cadians at the time.

Today I needed something easy to paint to have a break from my RG camo scheme. I'm happy with how it turned out. I might start using it more often.

Before:

gallery_87434_11578_186606.jpg

gallery_87434_11578_24132.jpg

After:

gallery_87434_11578_369083.jpg

gallery_87434_11578_311158.jpg

gallery_87434_11578_79028.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

So having seen what amazing work Ultra Rich has done with his veterans:

a quick update
Ive been cracking on with the red caps so  we now have 4 counts as veterans
Ive another 4Heres to do so thats the next couple of weeks painting!

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f372/rbrewster101/IMG_7278_zpsvkixfkvu.jpg

Ive decided I'm going to use the same idea to create some veterans to use for my Mordian force.

I had been tossing up using my Scions to be "count as", but that creates confusion when I'm actually using Scions and Vet's in the same force.
So basing it off what UR has done, I was thinking I would kit bash my Cadians with some Scion parts.

Essentially it would be Cadian legs, arms and torsos with Scion HSLG's (sans backpack and power leads) and Scion masked faces (I used the berets for the Scions).

The colour scheme I'm thinking of will attempt to compliment my Mordians I was thinking along the lines of: 
http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/igbeta2.php?hlm=ffffff&hlmst=FFFFFF&hlms=FFFFFF&face=f9ac67&hlmd=FFFFFF&strap=FFFFFF&ching=FFFFFF&spadl=f5bb40&spadr=f5bb40&chest=ffffff&chestd=ffffff&tunic=1472de&arml=1472de&armr=1472de&handl=ffffff&handr=ffffff&belt=f53b3b&beltb=f53b3b&pants=1472de&shinpads=ffffff&boots=ffffff&bg=FFFFFF&

Where the blue fatigues would be Caledor Sky with possibly a Mephiston Red trim (or some other complimentary colour) , the armour, gloves and boots Ulthuan Grey, shoulder pads a multi-colour gold the final layer being Auric Armour Gold. The helmets and belts/webbing will be a combination of Mephiston Red and Macragge Blue.

I want the armour to stand out, but I don't want it to appear as "solid" armour, Mordians being above all that. It needs to be more stately and dress looking, hence trying to tone it down with an off white. 

I think the colour scheme will show how these "Cadians" are part of my Mordian force, but it will also be useful to distinguish them out. 
I've always been one to say how boring the Cadian models are by comparison, but I'm hoping with this kit bash and colour scheme they will be able to stand next to my Mordians.

I like the idea, run something similar myself. I would try to keep the scheme as close to your Mordians as possible, with some marking to denote vet. Deffo run all trim and cuffs in red with white gloves, my suggestion would be to drop the White flak armour, looks very stark, how about a shade of blue darker than the fatigues. An maybe flat yellow shoulder pads (same yellow as mordians) with a red line down the centre to denote vet?

Looking great, Duz. Those white tanks are fabulous in the extreme. Now to muddy them up :happy.:!

I do agree with Baz on the fact that Veterans shouldn't look too different to your regular troops for continuity's sake. Although, now that I think about it, they've survived their 15 hours so let them wear whatever. As long as you're happy I think it'll be alright. I think my Veterans might be going with night camouflage instead of Flecktarn but they'll still have OD Green armour and gun cowlings to tie them into the rest of the force. Again, do whatever floats your boat.

Well I did some trials on a couple of Cadians I wasn't too impressed ...

I may just have to bite the bullet and paint them in olive drab. It really seems to be the only colour Cadians seem to look good in.

Mehman, were Mordians we always look our best. What is this mud you speak of?

So made the last minute decision to road trip 6hrs for a tournament this weekend. The general list a few posts above.

I can't decide whether I want to run Pask as my WL for his PE buffs, or my CCS commander for survivabilty and rolling off the strategic traits. The tournament will be running ITC missions so potential for reserve and cover modifiers is tempting.

So made the last minute decision to road trip 6hrs for a tournament this weekend. The general list a few posts above.

I can't decide whether I want to run Pask as my WL for his PE buffs, or my CCS commander for survivabilty and rolling off the strategic traits. The tournament will be running ITC missions so potential for reserve and cover modifiers is tempting.

Want to hear all about the tournament when you get back - I've been struggling with my guard and I want to see how your list does :)

So last weekend I attended a 80 player event.

I lucked out the event had sold out the month before but the TO managed to find ticket for me before I headed down.

The list I took is:

gallery_87434_12480_579890.jpg

Inqusition:

Ordo Xenos Inquisitor [bolt Pistol, Carapace Armour, Chainsword, 3x Servo Skulls]

AM (CAD):

+ No Force Org Slot +

Ministorum Priest [Autogun]

Primaris Psyker [Force Staff, Psyker Mastery Level 1]

+ HQ +

Company Command Squad [Carapace Armour, Flamer, Veteran w/ Laspistol & CCW, 2x Meltagun]

Astropath

Company Commander [bolt Pistol, Carapace Armour] (Bolt pistol because thats how my Mordian commanders are modeled)

Tank Commander

Command Punisher [2x Heavy Bolter, Dozer Blade, Heavy Bolter, Knight Commander Pask, Warlord]

+ Elites +

5x Militarum Tempestus Scions [2x Meltagun]

+ Troops +

Infantry Platoon

29x Conscripts

2x Infantry Squad [Flamer, Taurox]

Infantry Squad [Grenade Launcher, Lascannon Team]

Infantry Squad [Lascannon Team]

Platoon Command Squad [2x Flamer, Taurox]

Veterans [Grenadiers, 3x Veteran w/ Plasma Gun]

+ Heavy Support +

Deathstrike

Wyvern

Wyvern

+ Fortification +

Aegis Defense Line

The point of this list was more to just show off my Mordians in a somewhat thematic list.

The event used ITC FAQ and missions

My match ups were

Round 1: Chaos & Renegade knights

gallery_87434_12480_343646.jpg

This was actually against one of our heretical frater Uveron.

We ended in a gentlemanly draw. Uveron's army had a low model count which made target identification fairly easy and thanks to good mission draws I was able to score points and ignore the knights.

Due to his low model count and lack of horde control my guard didn't take too many heavy casualties. Also because his knights didn't role particularly well or make in into the core of my back field.

gallery_87434_12480_561365.jpg

gallery_87434_12480_65764.jpg

gallery_87434_12480_587082.jpg

gallery_87434_12480_16624.jpg

gallery_87434_12480_169694.jpg

gallery_87434_12480_327162.jpg

Round 2: "Dark Angles" and bark-bark star

gallery_87434_12480_694339.jpg

For thos who dont know this build is essentially 70 wolves with a 4++, hit & run and FNP thanks to Samuel. Throw in a conclave for invis (because what death start isn't complete with it) and then 3x 2x Quad mortars on a sky shield landing pad.

So no guess I lost 11-0 on this one.

My conscripts were probably men of the match on this one. It was hammer and anvil deployment. One of my first turn objective was to keep the enemy out of my deployment zone. So I had the conscripts charge the dogs which were ~8" away from my zone. I got re-roll armour saves and managed to survive the onslaught with 6 conscripts and priest remaining. At this point I didn't realise they had hit and run. My opponent passed his test and went 15" into my lines. At this point he continued to multi assault my back field and it was all down hill from there.

gallery_87434_12480_490474.jpg

gallery_87434_12480_124972.jpg

Round 3: Renegades & Renegade Knight

gallery_87434_12480_534035.jpg

I'd seen this army during the paint scoring segement and thought to myself this one will be tough to beat.

3x 2x Basilisk batteries, 3x 3x Raiper batteries, 3x wyvrens, lots of zombies, renegade knight errant.

So as expected I was blasted to pieces each turn by his artillery pieces. I tried to spread out and rushed chimeras my flamer units forward to try and tank shock and flame his hordes out of existence. However my vehicles were destroyed by the time I got to his deployment.

Round 4: Chaos & Rengade Knight

gallery_87434_12480_738413.jpg

One of my easier matches. This player was given a "power" list, which included the Chaos cabal for 3+ summoning and a knight. Fortunately for me he managed to perils most of his summoning only raising 1 unit which misshaped twice and I put in the corner out of the way. The knight confused and couldnt prioritize targets. I was able to maneuver around the board relatively unhindered and play the mission and win 11-0.

Round 5: Black Templar Gladius with Corteaz

This was a close mission. The result between a loss and a tie was my vet squad not being able to blast a rhino off my objective which he was contesting.

I had second turn and started off fairly strong taking out most of his bikes, however I couldn't get rid of the devastator squad with Corteaz and Cataphractii terminator which drop podded into my lines despite my best attempt at closing all gaps. There was a lot of back and forth and I managed to squeeze ahead on Maelstrom, but he claimed primary and all 3 tertiary, result being a loss 7-4. Things may have gone slightly different if his scouts didn't get to glance my wyvren and deathstrike to death with grenades.

Round 6: Harlequins & DE

gallery_87434_12480_397592.jpg

So this is the first time I played these Xeno clowns as a fullblown detachment. Wow this guys are quick and pack a punch! I went second and although I did take a decent chunk out of them in my turn it only takes a few of them to decimate you! Again my conscripts bore the brunt of 12 of these guys assaulting me and managed to survive 2 rounds of combat before being wiped out. After which I promptly let them fry with 4 flamers hitting them from multiple directions. Some poor decisions early on meant I lost on maelstrom and haywire grenades ensured that any vehicles I had covering objectives for end of game were easily wrecked (god I hate HPs!). We ended up tying the primary, I lost the secondary and did manage line breaker. Loss 7-4. If I had first turn I would have been able to do more damage to him before he hit my lines. As 2nd turn the whole army can run and charge.

Overall thoughts

This was my first competitive event playing full ITC missions. The biggest thing I noticed is that most of my IG squads in Taroux really had little to do. Given their missions generally only have 4 objectives on the table and they are also numbered the same you really dont need a large number of scoring units to hold them. I spent a couple of games where I didnt actually know what to do with my Tarouxes and squads so they just became stationary pill boxes...

The Deathstrike missile although a concern for each of my opponents really brought litte to the game. Although it did fire each game it generally only stripped off 1 hull point from 1 or 2 vehicles. The one game against the Renegades player it did take out 14 zombies and his T3 WL, but I would hardly count that. Against the Harlequins I really needed it to take out his 2 voidweaver (?) and all it did was glance one and the other made its 5++...

The 29 conscripts with priest were really the stars of the event.

My Astropath really did nothing of use, given the amount of psychic presence in all my match ups when he finally got in range of a unit he could Shriek it was denied or missed (give ITC makes you roll to hit).

My Primaris did ok with his prescience rolls, and my lascannons did ok. Surprisingly this 20man blob squad survived most games.

Having my WL as the CCS commander actually helped deny SLtW most of the time. Although next time I think I'll roll off the guard table, as the Strategic table didn't really help that much.

Having old grudges on Pask wouldnt have made a big difference and it also meant that he was a higher priority target than my CCS, but he still got work done.

Wyvrens and 5 man Scion melta squad always useful.

Vet's did pull their weight and I may change my opinion on running grenadiers 3 w/ plasma in a chimera. Expensive yes, but not as many died as expected and 4 rapid fire plasma shots generally put a dent in things.

I knew I didn't really have much of an answer for knights this event and it showed, fortunately I was able to avoid them for long enough.

I also take a bit of solace that despite some tough match ups I didn't actually get tabled.

If I was to run this list again I would probably have gone with (the list is actually 1872pts, I'd have to figure where to make the savings)

+ No Force Org Slot +

Ministorum Priest

Primaris Psyker [Force Staff, Psyker Mastery Level 2]

+ HQ +

Company Command Squad [Carapace Armour, Veteran w/ Flamer, Veteran w/ Heavy Flamer, 2x Veteran w/ Laspistol & CCW]

Chimera [Heavy Bolter, Multi-laser]

Company Commander [Carapace Armour, Close Combat Weapon, Orders]

Laspistol [Laspistol]

Tank Commander

Command Punisher [2x Heavy Bolter, Dozer Blade, Heavy Bolter, Knight Commander Pask]

+ Elites +

Militarum Tempestus Platoon

Militarum Tempestus Scions [2x Tempestus Scion, 2x Tempestus Scion w/ Meltagun]

Tempestor [Close Combat Weapon, Hot-shot Laspistol]

+ Troops +

Infantry Platoon

Infantry Squad [Autocannon Team, 6x Guardsman, Guardsman w/ Flamer, Taurox]

Sergeant [Close Combat Weapon, Laspistol]

Infantry Squad [Autocannon Team, 6x Guardsman, Guardsman w/ Flamer, Taurox]

Sergeant [Close Combat Weapon, Laspistol]

Platoon Command Squad [2x Guardsman w/ Flamer, 2x Guardsman w/ Lasgun]

Platoon Commander [Close Combat Weapon, Laspistol, Orders]

Special Weapons Squad [3x Guard w/ Flamer]

30 Conscripts

Veterans [Grenadiers, 6x Veteran w/ Lasgun, 3x Veteran w/ Plasma Gun]

Veteran Sergeant [Close Combat Weapon, Laspistol]

+ Fast Attack +

Vendetta Squadron

Vendetta [2x Twin-linked Lascannons]

Vendetta [2x Twin-linked Lascannons]

+ Heavy Support +

Wyvern Battery

Wyvern [Heavy Bolter]

Wyvern [Heavy Bolter]

++ Fortifications and Stronghold Assault (2013) (Fortification Detachment) ++

+ Fortification +

Aegis Defense Line [Comms Relay]

++ Inquisition: Codex (2013) (Inq Inquisitorial Detachment) ++

+ HQ +

Well done your army looked amazing (Lovely Photos as well! )... Very Glad I got a different set of opponents after that draw! 

I agree that Aircraft could a good addition to the list, Iam not sold on the Wyven in the ITC format. Given that they FAQed Barrage to only be able to hit the top level of ruins you can hide from them on some tables. I would be tempted by the cheese that is a Void-Shield and some Medusa's if you can get your hands on the FW models.  

Thank WF & Uveron, yeh tbh I was hoping for a few more friendlier match up's! Round 2 & 3 were rough!!

I would have liked have taken some more photos of my match ups, but I actually had to concentrate on playing this list a bit!

I did end up placing my worst result ever too... After round 4 I was still in contention for best guard player (there was only 3 of us), but 2 close defeats saw that slip from my grasp.

Some photos of the best guard player's army

gallery_87434_12480_303321.jpg

gallery_87434_12480_354000.jpg

Yes the two Vendettas would have given my list a bit more firepower and mobility. Especially for end of game, which I did struggle with.

The barrage and blast rulings for ITC are absurd, especially given how Deathstars are a thing (I couldn't even snipe Sammuel in my 2nd game because despite him being within wyvren range he was under the landing pad, therefore immune to barrage according to ITC).

Fortunately most events I've been to there hasn't been too much multi-level buildings, even in this event I think it was really just the 1 game it really effected me. Being able to blast hordes and disembarked marines off the table is still handy.

Medusa's are lethal, I've encountered them several times now. Although I really would prefer my list to be pulled primarily from 1 codex without having to resort to FW shenanigans.

I have been thinking about the VSG. I was actually fairly impressed with the ADL, unless there's ignores cover you get your 4+, potentially 2+. If you go to ground and your CCS is near by you can get them back into the fight. Seeing as I had my Primaris & Inquisitor in there, orders were going off on Ld10. The VSG really only mitigates some of round 1 shooting alpha strikes, where as the ADL will probably be useful for a couple of turns. Also with the pending GW FAQ's on how other USR's interact with the VSG it won't be as effective.

• 6 months later...

Today I was given the opportunity to complete a commission piece...

Normally I don't do commissions, however this will be for a model I've always wanted. Its also a challenge amongst the painters. So should be fun!

The only real restrictions are, variant, cadian colours and no unit markings. So fairly flexible. :)

So what is it? A Baneblade! :D

So I'll probably log the progress of it here.

I guess the commission starts next week and its due August.

So now I need to come up with a fitting scheme for such an impressive piece of imperial might!

Right now I am leaning to some where between what I did to my Stormtalons or Our_baz's scheme...

So finally finished the talons! I have the tamiya orange. Now I just need to find the canopies! I plan on attempting to consolidate all my bits into one giant tub this weekend. Maybe I unearth them then!

gallery_87434_12256_344473.jpg

gallery_87434_12256_562295.jpg

gallery_87434_12256_89189.jpg

Im actually really looking forward to painting up my interceptor with a similar scheme. Although that will have to wait until I've got my tournament list up to scratch.

Some updates from my ETL V Vow. My reclaimed 20+ year old Chimera is finished. Been a right slog for an ETL vow but it was worth it. Like to hear any C&C if you guys and gals have any. If you would like to pull to painting apart as well I'd welocme that also!:thanks:

gallery_72518_9307_139032.jpg

gallery_72518_9307_312376.jpg

gallery_72518_9307_55934.jpg

gallery_72518_9307_814705.jpg

I would be tempted to keep the camouflage at the same size as on the smaller models rather than trying to increase the size of the shapes for the larger hull...

Yes I am trying to figure out the most appropriate style right now.

I'm certain he wouldn't appreciate something like this

https://goo.gl/images/at3IJc

Give the size and scale though perhaps this might not be a bad idea

https://goo.gl/images/0Ud5jU

Yes as for scaling ... I know I did have to scale patterns up between my infantry try and vehicles.

Between a tank / flyer vs super heavy I might have to increase it again ever so slightly?

The colours are going to be tricky too...

Should I go for 3 or 4 colours? Castellan green and zandri dust are the main ones.

Caliban could be my third with a sprinkling of black?

I was thinking I could test the scheme on the inside of the hull before gluing it out of sight.