A Mordian march to glory

duz_

The first one is wayyyyyy too much :sick: my eyes... my eyes....

I think trying it somewhere out of sight is a good idea. You could always use black as a liner/edge definer for the other colours.

Quick question relating to your Mordians:

What paints did you use for that blue? It's the exact colour that I need for my Praetorians but I haven't been able to find any tutorials or recommendations that don't use a much lighter blue or black!

Your painting is amazing, I wish I was the lucky sod who could pay for you to paint a Baneblade!

What paints did you use for that blue? It's the exact colour that I need for my Praetorians but I haven't been able to find any tutorials or recommendations that don't use a much lighter blue or black!

Your painting is amazing, I wish I was the lucky sod who could pay for you to paint a Baneblade!

Haven't you heard shameless flattery will get you nowhere?

Ill take it either way though. ;) thanks! :)

My Mordians are pretty simple

Uniform blue: Macragge, nulin wash

Red stripes: Mephiston, nulin wash

Yellow epaulettes: Averland sunset base, nulin wash, Yriel drybrush

White gloves: Ulthuan grey, nulin wash, ulthuan layer

So pretty much I get all the base colours down. Wash with nulin oil. Then go back to layer the gloves, silver details and drybrush the yellow.

Hope that helps! Looking forward to your Praetorians. :)

Edited by duz_

Haven't you heard shameless flattery will get you nowhere?

Ill take it either way though. :wink: thanks! :smile.:

My Mordians are pretty simple

Uniform blue: Macragge, nulin wash

Red stripes: Mephiston, nulin wash

Yellow epaulettes: Averland sunset base, nulin wash, Yriel drybrush

White gloves: Ulthuan grey, nulin wash, ulthuan layer

So pretty much I get all the base colours down. Wash with nulin oil. Then go back to layer the gloves, silver details and drybrush the yellow.

Hope that helps! Looking forward to your Praetorians. :smile.:

Thanks, I'll be getting some Macragge blue the next time I'm in a GW store, this helps a lot, thanks!

Yes I am trying to figure out the most appropriate style right now.

I'm certain he wouldn't appreciate something like this

https://goo.gl/images/at3IJc

Give the size and scale though perhaps this might not be a bad idea

https://goo.gl/images/0Ud5jU

Yes as for scaling ... I know I did have to scale patterns up between my infantry try and vehicles.

Between a tank / flyer vs super heavy I might have to increase it again ever so slightly?

The colours are going to be tricky too...

Should I go for 3 or 4 colours? Castellan green and zandri dust are the main ones.

Caliban could be my third with a sprinkling of black?

I was thinking I could test the scheme on the inside of the hull before gluing it out of sight.

From experience painting three would be a lot easier. In terms of colour I see castellan green and zandri dust as your two extreme colours, you need either one or two mid tones to transition between the two. Something along the lines of Loren forest and ogryn camo might fit the bill.

Thanks Baz

I was thinking Loren Forest could be a good option.

Use Castellan as the base ie coat the whole model. Then use the other two (maybe some black too) to paint the patterns on.

So it has begun ...gallery_87434_11578_238315.jpg

I picked up my commission piece today. I have until August to complete it, Im also waiting on the sandbags to come in too. I will probably order my own baneblade with the commission payment. ;)

I also had a game against a friend this evening a 1500pt list I'd been wanting to try for a while. Emperors fist (yes with Pask, FAQ be damned) and Scion CAD with 2 plasma CCS and 3x 5man melta squads 2 taroux prime DTs.

My friends list was C:IA Corteaz acolytes and GKs and Crimson Fist CAD.

I hit hard the first two turns, but once his hammerhand GKTs hit my lines and my plasmacutioner and vanquisher started whiffing it was game over.

Was fun none the less! :)

gallery_87434_11578_150692.jpg

gallery_87434_11578_364937.jpg

gallery_87434_11578_300818.jpg

So I couldnt help myself with this kit laying around ...

So my Saturday night started with

gallery_87434_11578_219162.jpg

Then I decided I should stop... but then

gallery_87434_11578_61947.jpg

gallery_87434_11578_417033.jpg

Just a few more pieces and Im done.

Its actually been nice building this for someone else as my first model. Im learning how it goes together and how that relates to Elmo's magnetizing tutorial. :)

I am not sure if my sandbag idea will work with this though now I've started building it. However I can decide after I've place tested some.

The other thing I can't decide on is weathering ... this is where I struggle with my inner Mordian.

I imagine a Baneblade would always be in prime condition unless its in the middle of a battle. So do I have this as a battle worn vehicle, or one that is just about to be deployed?

I don't normally weather my vehicles, I figure this would be a great model to test it out on though. At the very least I think I will weather the under carriage (I rarely complete the under side of a tank either).

What are your thoughts on the weathering?

Not sure about the weathering - I guess it depends on what the final paint job looks like.  For example, I don't weather my vehicles at all, but due to the paint scheme I use, they look well worn.  Or it may be a case of it looking like your Tauroxes which look fantastic in their pristine paint schemes.

Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui

Wait, what's this? Another Baneblade box??

gallery_87434_11578_332296.jpg

I put my commission money to one of my own! :D after 3 years of saying I would getting one. I finally did. :)

I have magnets in coming (from the UK because I couldn't find reasonably priced metric sizes in the US?!).

The Juweela sand bags from Secret Weapon miniatures came in too.

These are supposedly 1/35 scale, but compared to the Tamiya ones they're half the size! These are mouldable too so will be interesting. Here's a few shots of me messing around with placement.

gallery_87434_11578_305309.jpg

gallery_87434_11578_191796.jpg

gallery_87434_11578_131541.jpg

Bjorn I guess so? Haha, makes them feel a bit more at ease. Im not sure what the commissar thinks of the addition though.

Ed Hellhammer / Baneblade turrets pivot at the point above where those bags are so all good. :)

I haven't actually finalized positioning I was just messing around to see what it might look like.

Cool stuff Duz, ooh a Baneblade :wub:

IIRC during WWII they used sandbags to try and create a gap for Heat rounds (WW II vintage ones that is) to dissipate on the outside and not penetrate and /or limit the penetration of the round into the vehicle. i guess on a Baneblade it's more Cool Looking than practical :tongue.: although i'd do it too and those bags look awesome...

Q- do you wet them or something to mold into shape?...cause right now it looks like "English Breakfast" Armour :laugh.: 

Baneblade Driver -"Oh i say Sir?...we have Hot water incoming!!" , Commander -"Don't worry Lads we're all Twinning's up'ed",  Commander's Understudy - "jolly good then Sir,shall i get the Biscuits?"...

Cheers, Mithril  

Ha yes they're kinda like tea bags tbh!

Youre supposed to dunk them in a wood glue + water mixture before placing and shaping them.

It will be interesting when I go to use them. I may have to invest in some tweezers.

:wink:  or a tea bag holder... :biggrin.:

Mithril

++EDIT++ i just googled these...and they look pretty realistic, colour me very interested in how these come out on the vehicle Duz :wub:

2nd ++EDIT++  I decided to Buy them afterall !! , just ordered a pack of 100 sandbags :thumbsup:   and i already have Tweezers :tongue.:

Edited by mithrilforge

• 3 weeks later...

So having completed (or come close enough) my RG tournament list I turned my attention back to my Baneblade commission. :)

I finished assembling the Hellhammer today and sandbagging it. (These are the same ones that Mithril used for his HWTs)

The original plan was to just use a few sand bags and keep the rest for my BB, as these onces (at least in the US) aren't particularly cheap.

However 50 sandbags later and I've run out! :unsure.: I think it was worth it though. :sweat:

Next step is to wait for the sandbags to dry (you're supposed to use a PVA/Water mix to shape them) and then find a dry and not humid day to base coat. Unfortunately it would seem those conditions this time of year in Missouri are apparently few and far between... :dry.:

gallery_87434_11578_276407.jpg

gallery_87434_11578_158501.jpg

gallery_87434_11578_246072.jpg

gallery_87434_11578_27451.jpg

God doing the tracks on these things suck!! I did it on hard mode too, as originally I was going to paint the tracks first then glue them on... That was a terrible idea. I got there in the end though :teehee:

Having built this and listening / reading to the teasers for 8th has me really excited that I will be able to field my BB next edition and have it deal out a fair bit of damage and have it survive too!! :D

Well they're dried now

So hopefully some time this week there will be some dry not too humid weather.... otherwise base coating will be the following week

Yes took it to a friends place today and had it lined up next to a landraider and rhino

The LR looked tiny and the rhino just seemed out of place by comparison

Im curious to see how they go after some base coating too! I hope the texture still comes through

Well they're dried now

<snip>

Im curious to see how they go after some base coating too! I hope the texture still comes through

i hand painted them with watered down paint, so not sure how much the spray will change them(probably not at all) i found after undercoating, then a base coat of Zamesi Desert and a wash of reikland...or whatever your "choice wash" is? they need a another coat of paint otherwise they do look like used tea bags :eek:

i think on my next weapon nest I'm going to trim the sides of the bags like they suggest in the tutorial and see how that changes the look of them.

I'm really eager to see how this looks on a vehicle,even with just the base coats on (i have 2 russ's i want to use some ricebags Sandbags on)  GoGoGo Good weather in Missouri !

Cheers, Mithril

++EDIT++ you need a Bayonet,coffee mug and a map & Compass to arrange around the sandbags on the rear of the turret cupola :biggrin.:  

Edited by mithrilforge

Damn it Mithrl! You made me get out my bits box! Fortunately for you I was able to find what I needed on the lesser of two evil boxes to procure...

Thoughts? (imagine the knife as cut off in the sandbag below and not in the Blutac holding it in place...)

gallery_87434_11578_147341.jpg

gallery_87434_11578_282806.jpg

gallery_87434_11578_87570.jpg

Or the light version...

gallery_87434_11578_312796.jpg

On another note, I did snip mine... although I wish I used better scissors and cut them as close to possible to the seal.