The Red Sorcerers of Prospero: Exiles of Osiris

Athrawes

^This. I saw that as a humorous "whatever you say..."

Seems those Facebook :censored: got on your nerves more than you realize.

EDIT: GAH why do I always sound so snarky. What I mean to say is that you seem to be pissed off, so let's leave the topic of falling over alone. Though the stand does seem to be a bit too large, might be hard to place.

Edited by Cryptix

Dude, what's your problem? I have the model here in my hands and it is sturdy, what's the point of your comment?

He probably enjoys your work and doesn't want anything bad to happen to it.

I'm sure that is what the first comment was about which I answered, describing the bases weight. I post here for constructive criticism, and concern about the base is a perfectly valid point to raise, as he did in his first comment.

The second comment, for me crossed a line. 

I took a lot of time measuring to find where the center of balance is for the model, drilling it out to create a mounting point without compromising the stability/integrity of the model, and calculating the ideal weight of steel rod+base to counterbalance the weight of the model. It took effort to get the base machined properly, not to mention to source a socket that could protect the model, while supporting the weight of resin.

Having that effort belittled as something which either wasn't thought out or might even harm the model, joke or not, crosses a line with me.

@MIkhal: No worries dude. No harm done.

Edited by Athrawes

Jeez...that thing is just insane. Every time I see her, I'm both intimidated and in love at the same time. :D

As I don't have minis to paint or play, I have to ask out of curiosity:

How many bottles of color do you think you will need for her?

Is she an auto win when she is brought into a game?

Do you need a truck just to transport her? I believe that she would never fit in my car. ^^

Edited by Kelborn

Dude, what's your problem? I have the model here in my hands and it is sturdy, what's the point of your comment?

He probably enjoys your work and doesn't want anything bad to happen to it.

I'm sure that is what the first comment was about which I answered, describing the bases weight. I post here for constructive criticism, and concern about the base is a perfectly valid point to raise, as he did in his first comment.

The second comment, for me crossed a line. 

I took a lot of time measuring to find where the center of balance is for the model, drilling it out to create a mounting point without compromising the stability/integrity of the model, and calculating the ideal weight of steel rod+base to counterbalance the weight of the model. It took effort to get the base machined properly, not to mention to source a socket that could protect the model, while supporting the weight of resin.

Having that effort belittled as something which either wasn't thought out or might even harm the model, joke or not, crosses a line with me.

@MIkhal: No worries dude. No harm done.

Ahhh, sorry again dude. I haven't thought about the work and thought you put into the base. Never would I belittle your work. That said: Great model and I can't wait seeing it painted.

Watching all the crap you guys have to do to put these big models together has honestly turned me off from these and the Warlords. I've gotta hand it to you, it's a project just assembling the damn thing.

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to say that you are an absolute inspiration Athrawes. I love everything about your Thousand Sons. I think I'm going to buy an airbrush from Christmas so I can ripoff replicate your paint scheme. Love the high contrast with the white. Quick question how do you do your whites?

The Stormbird is awesome. I figured someone would do it on a flying base but to actually see it kinda defies belief - amazing! I can't wait to see it in red. :)

I might have missed it earlier in the thread but what's the plan with the base? You going to do the mobile-scenery thing and hide the stem or keep it plain? I'm always fascinated by large flying bases, I've never worked myself up to do one.

• 2 weeks later...

The Stormbird is Inbound

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/FB65118A-8750-4C28-A872-7B9CDB0848BF.jpg

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/860e9982-9725-4920-ba87-890d4d989264.jpg

I haven't really given much thought to the basing on the flight-stand, but I'm definitely going to be leaning towards barren, like the rest of my army.

She still has a ton of work left. I've basically just blocked out most of the base-colors (still have some left) and applied transfers. Next I'll be recess washing the model, and then onto weathering and detail work, but I got excited and I figured she was at a presentable stage to show you guys some progress.

++++++++

Edit: Here are some pictures of the Stormbird for scale, taken with my current full Thousand Sons Army for a game I had this week:

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/A8EC6134-F787-4A7E-9274-BBDDCF620B5C.jpg

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/3394753A-6779-4DE0-8F20-54D6F680DE00.jpg

Additionally, I'm ecstatic for the upcoming Thousand Sons for 40k. I have plans to use a pair of the Rubric squads (with and Achaen Headswap) as Legion Veteran squads in Rhinos. I'll also be grabbing a set of 40k Scarab Occult to use as a 30k Command Squad. 

I might try to arm both units so that I can use them in 30k or 40k as my gaming group is starting a small narrative 40k campaign with the start of the new year.

As always, I'd love to hear your thoughts on both the Stormbird, and the Upcoming plastic sets!

Edited by Athrawes

Have you considered doing something about the pole bit of the flying stand? Maybe paint it just matte black? As it stands, the Stormbird looks absolutely gorgeous so far, but the bare metal looks a bit out of place... just a nagging thing to an otherwise brilliant model.

Looking forward to what you will do with the new plastics, too!

:eek::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

Same here.

Astonishing work, brother! As I'm excited about the upcoming releases as well, I can't wait for the first painted minis.

Have you ever though about creating a small detachment of Spire Guards? And have you seen the official cult symbols?

About the blank metal, how about some xenos corpses? Eldar maybe or even go this far and use Vlka models?