The Shattered Tenth: An Iron Hands Blog

Luna707

Really inspired stuff! I love the rogue trader and proto-sister. Your recent delving into the unification era and these offbeat conversions are a treat.

Which strange/non-40k models have you all been wanting to convert for 40k? 

Man, there's so much out there. Pretty high on my list is building a Laer out of a gorgon from darklands. I'm always looking for models that can be used for strange aliens, (biomechanical) daemons, or tanks that deviate a lot from the 40k aesthetic.

Alis Volat Propriis

gallery_84811_11476_310062.jpg

Hey Everyone! Nothing new here, I just wanted to showcase one of my favorite models in my collection and one of my favorite kits in the Forgeworld catalogue. The nautilus shell design is my absolute favorite recurring FW motif; I think it adds some serious character to their Mechanicum line that is unique yet still unmistakably 40k. Its inclusion in the Atrapos felt like a natural extension of the character of the Mechanicum without feeling forced or making the original, more European design feel out of place. I would contest that it's one of the best example of painting a realistic picture of how the vastness of the galaxy breeds variety in common design templates. To me, it's Warhammer at its best and shows how carful sculpting and planning can create a narrative that extends beyond the miniature itself without ever needing to utter a word. Here's my rendition of the engine: The Bellicose Soul piloted by Tallous Daendron of house Daenatross from the forge world Wytaar Primus:

gallery_84811_11476_826056.jpg

gallery_84811_11476_764993.jpg

gallery_84811_11476_147025.jpg

gallery_84811_11476_456784.jpg

I plan to expand House Daendron with a Knight Lancer as soon as I have more time to dedicate to the hobby and hopefully a Porphyrion in the future and maybe some Armigers once FW makes some kits for them that hopefully incorporate the nautilus design. My profile picture is actually the helm that I intend to use for the Lancer (It has certainly turned into a long term project haha) and I am planning to have the carapace torn open to see the pilot operating inside. We will see what happens however when I finally get down to it!

This ought to be interesting!
The Ma.K models are just lovely. Combining that bulbous aesthetic with the arcane look of say a SoS Acquisitor should look spot on.

Absolutely, I really like the Acquisitor and I hope to use it as a base to convert a Trilobite inspired version of the vehicle.

Really inspired stuff! I love the rogue trader and proto-sister. Your recent delving into the unification era and these offbeat conversions are a treat.

Which strange/non-40k models have you all been wanting to convert for 40k?

Man, there's so much out there. Pretty high on my list is building a Laer out of a gorgon from darklands. I'm always looking for models that can be used for strange aliens, (biomechanical) daemons, or tanks that deviate a lot from the 40k aesthetic.

Thanks, I'm glad you like it! I just looked those up, absolutely spot on for the Laer! I would love to see those conversions take shape one day

Thanks for stopping by, questions and comments are always welcome!

Edited by Luna707

The Bellicose Soul really is a master work brother, the dusty base looks very real, as does the corroded, rusting metal of the carapace. I couldn't agree more with your comments regarding the carapace design and just how right it feels for the Mechanicum.

• 3 weeks later...

Some cool stuff coming your way, no time to say much else but enjoy!

gallery_84811_11476_945093.jpg

gallery_84811_11476_1053937.jpg

Bonus photo of the Gorgons!

gallery_84811_11476_81102.jpg

The Bellicose Soul really is a master work brother, the dusty base looks very real, as does the corroded, rusting metal of the carapace. I couldn't agree more with your comments regarding the carapace design and just how right it feels for the Mechanicum.

Thank you! I'm kind of a mad man for weathering, I have to reign it in most of the time, I'm just lucky it turns out alright most of the time. I'm glad you see what I mean when it comes to those cool motifs.

Thanks for stopping by!

Those Gorgons... Just brilliant, so brutal and really fitting my mental image with all that cabling; I've always thought that the FW Gorgons have lacked something, but yours certainly have it.

The diorama's setting up nicely too, is the ruined plating at the back part of a Knight carapace?

Those Gorgons... Just brilliant, so brutal and really fitting my mental image with all that cabling; I've always thought that the FW Gorgons have lacked something, but yours certainly have it.

The diorama's setting up nicely too, is the ruined plating at the back part of a Knight carapace?

Thanks man! Yeah, I'm really pleased with how the Gorgons turned out. I'm excited to make a few more when I get the Istvaan V diorama going. 

It is! I made a blue stuff press mold of a cerastus knight carapace and made it into a wreckage. Press molds are excellent for adding basing details like that 

Great idea with the press mould, how did the mould cope with a larger piece? I find that I lose a lot of detail as I increase the component size, perhaps due to an uneven application of pressure whilst forming the imprint.

I made this mold a while ago, however I believe I just smooshed it down pretty hard over the important stuff and covered up the rest with battle damage. I would never try to replicate a whole model with press molds as the details certainly get lost as you get larger, however if you're making battleworn terrain pieces- it's absolutely perfect 

Couple pictures of what I'm working on right now, I'm very happy with how the Navigator is turning out, planning on adding some banners to his antlers, what do you guys think?

gallery_84811_11476_83218.jpg

Adding some details to the Huscarl, pretty amped to get this guy finished. Trying something new with the white glue + tissue paper technique for the tabard

gallery_84811_11476_1088037.jpg

Happy Saturday everyone! I'm pretty exhausted to be honest and I've got another grueling day of Primus Medicae studying ahead. It's a long road but my miniature projects have been offering me a nice reprieve from the grind. Keep on being awesome my friends

Have you tried making a shield from plasticard? Heating it to give it a curve, which I think is what is missing from your current shield. You can use two layers to get to the right thickness. Trim and rivets can be green-stuffed, you seem pretty good at that. Then, it's a simple matter of using brass etched symbols or decals. I would try and keep the shield simple and positioned a bit high towards the elbow, this way it would not detract from the rest of the model. Emphasize should be on your awesome conversion, not on the shield!

• 4 weeks later...

gallery_84811_11476_1088413.jpg

The Huscarl is done! I've decided to go with TheTrans' excellent idea of using the Galatus dreadnought shield and to my surprise it fits perfectly. Over all this is probably my best attempt at truescaling a terminator and I'm really pleased with how it turned out. Creating this miniature has been getting my gears working about trying my hand at Tartaros or Saturnine TDA one day- as if I needed more projects to add to the list. My creativity is running in overdrive yet my time is short as usual, enjoy the pictures!

gallery_84811_11476_483454.jpg

gallery_84811_11476_352429.jpg

gallery_84811_11476_570928.jpg

gallery_84811_11476_31962.jpg

gallery_84811_11476_710915.jpg

gallery_84811_11476_553519.jpg

gallery_84811_11476_16824.jpg

Have you tried making a shield from plasticard? Heating it to give it a curve, which I think is what is missing from your current shield. You can use two layers to get to the right thickness. Trim and rivets can be green-stuffed, you seem pretty good at that. Then, it's a simple matter of using brass etched symbols or decals. I would try and keep the shield simple and positioned a bit high towards the elbow, this way it would not detract from the rest of the model. Emphasize should be on your awesome conversion, not on the shield!

I definitely see your point. To that end, I wanted to have him in a more open position to showcase the conversion work, however the guy who I was making this for actually liked the original pose and wanted a larger shield. I did keep it real simple though and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

I don't know if it might look off, but maybe try a round shield, as a reference to the scandinavian origin of the name?

I tried a round shield and I liked it but I ended up going with the Galatus shield instead, it just fits the model so well!

Thanks for stopping by everyone! Questions and Comments are always welcome

The shield works perfectly, what a good idea. The fact that it scales so well with him shows that he's a monster, how does he fare next to a dreadnought/contemptor?

What's next on the cards now he's done?

The shield works perfectly, what a good idea. The fact that it scales so well with him shows that he's a monster, how does he fare next to a dreadnought/contemptor?

What's next on the cards now he's done?

Thanks man! I can't take credit for the idea (TheTrans did it first) but it certainly works well with my scale. I'll have to take a photo of my terminators next to a dreadnought but this should give you a rough idea of how large they are.

gallery_84811_11476_411790.jpg

gallery_84811_11476_606793.jpg

Now I am working to finish the Rogue Trader retinue diorama base that's a bit further up on the page. After that I have a few projects planned:

- Unification era Thunder Warriors and Custodes, I'm thinking of making a base/diorama duel of Valdor facing off against Arik Taranis and currently I'm in the early stages of trying to figure out how I want the Thunder Warriors to look

- Two Iron Hands Leviathans, I just love leviathans so much and I think they look great with the classic dread sarcophagus. I also want to repaint my contemptor and add some markings to my existing Leviathan

- MkII armor, I am planning on sculpting a set of truescale MkII armor and casting it so I can have lore appropriate MkII that will fit with the larger scale of my miniatures

So that's the plan currently but man do I keep getting excited by new projects so the above is certainly subject to change

Damn I forgot how monstrous your terminators are! The Primaris looks tiny.

Glad to hear there are some Leviathans and MKII coming for the Tenth, I look forward to seeing the upscaled armour and details.

Interested to see you tackle the Thunder Warriors too, all in all sounds like exciting things are a foot!

It is almost impossible to go through your thread and not like everything.

I tried and failed, so apologies for 4000 likes you got.

Brilliant stuff.

Took some cool photos of the Tenth, I hope you all enjoy them!

gallery_84811_11476_483919.jpg

gallery_84811_11476_495893.jpg

gallery_84811_11476_290998.jpg

My two Iron Fathers:

gallery_84811_11476_989795.jpg

gallery_84811_11476_48933.jpg

#grimdark

Damn I forgot how monstrous your terminators are! The Primaris looks tiny.

Glad to hear there are some Leviathans and MKII coming for the Tenth, I look forward to seeing the upscaled armour and details.

Interested to see you tackle the Thunder Warriors too, all in all sounds like exciting things are a foot!

Thanks man! I'm certainly excited!

It is almost impossible to go through your thread and not like everything.

I tried and failed, so apologies for 4000 likes you got.

Brilliant stuff.

No worries my friend! It made me happy to know you enjoyed my work so much, Thank you!

Thanks for stopping by! Questions and Comments are always welcome

• 3 weeks later...

This just makes me want to build Iron Hands terminators even more. :laugh.: Love how the huscarl turned out, what a beast!

I'm excited to see them man! Nothing gets me revved up like truescale Iron Hands terminators hahaha

• 4 weeks later...

Some Progress on the Navigator:

gallery_84811_11476_995614.jpg

And a new idea I had randomly while talking with @catharsis.ix on Instagram: I find the "Keys of Hel" aspect of the Tenth super intriguing and I had the inspiration of making my own version of the reanimated dead as seen in "Immortal Duty". I'm planning on creating some Castellax that, instead of being martian robots, will be fallen Avernii legionaries who died on Istvaan V and were resurrected inside hulking quasi dreadnought frames and thrown back into the fray. With their souls stripped away, only a cold and hateful husk remains- they have become the pinnacle of the Iron Hands pursuit of perfection and the terminal point of their flawed philosophy. (also it's bull:cuss that the Iron Warriors and Thousand Sons get special robots and we don't). Anyway, here's me playing around with some bits:

gallery_84811_11476_553447.jpg

Also I don't think I posted Varan's 360 here

gallery_84811_11476_336270.jpg

gallery_84811_11476_294763.jpg

gallery_84811_11476_548806.jpg

gallery_84811_11476_641881.jpg

Thanks for stopping by! Questions and Comments are always welcome

"Here is me, playing around with some bits..." ....pfff, now you are just showing off ;)

Stellar work, as usual and good to see you are finding time to work on these. Really looking to your Rogue Trader builds.