• 2 weeks later...

Merry Christmas Everyone! Have some Wips for my Girl's retinue

gallery_84811_11476_203716.jpg

gallery_84811_11476_719188.jpg

gallery_84811_11476_80426.jpg

Added another sister to the group

gallery_84811_11476_1027463.jpg

gallery_84811_11476_475010.jpg

Finishing up the details on this guy, he should be ready for paint soon. I'm excited to give him some African inspired armor "tattoos", I want to play off the flame theme but give it a more artistic look, something like the medieval depictions of the sun.

"Here is me, playing around with some bits..." ....pfff, now you are just showing off :wink:

Stellar work, as usual and good to see you are finding time to work on these. Really looking to your Rogue Trader builds.

Ah man, you are too kind. Thank you!

"keys of hel" hulking quasi dreadnoughts . This, do this! :yes:

Pretty excited about it myself, I think I've settled on the Dreadfire boxnought arms for him.

That, my good man, looks awesome. In the same way the Contemptor and Tartaros Terminators share visual cues, I'm getting a 'giant Cataphract' feel from your robot.

Thanks man! I'm happy you think so, that was the exact look I was going for!

The Navigator is continuing to look amazing and very unique. I'm very keen to see where the Castellax idea goes, it's certainly an interesting one.

Me too! I just hope I find enough time to build it soon!

Oh wow, this thread is insane! Your conversions add so much weight and bulk, I'm blown away.

Thanks man! Welcome aboard!

Thanks for stopping by everyone, Questions and comments are always welcome. Have a great holiday!

Edited by Luna707

More Unification Wars Incoming!

gallery_84811_11476_2263.jpg

Finally got to work on my Unification Era custodes last night, pretty excited with how this guy is shaping up so far! I have to thank Frater Ryltar Thamior for the idea of using Fulgrim as a base for the custodes- he suits them perfectly in my opinion. I have three more Fulgrim bodies coming in from my escapades on the facebook heresy trading page, so he will have company shortly (including Valdor). His helm was inspired by the Adrian Smith artwork:

gallery_84811_11431_40588.jpg

I think it speaks well to how I envision the Emperor's own during the Unification Era: pure beings in a barbaric time. His equipment is not as refined as it will become in the ensuing millennia, yet his form is still a marvel in the ruins of old Terra.

gallery_84811_11476_186780.jpg

So in addition to the other projects you all have seen, this guy is kicking off my Custodes vs Thunder warriors diorama, I hope to have more stuff for you all soon!

Man, I almost forgot how gigantic your firedrake actually is. :tongue.: But I'm even more fascinated by the sisters, you've developed such a unique look for them it makes my heart jump with joy.

Thanks man! I forget how big he is too hahaha I'm glad you like them!

Aye, those Sisters are really unique and look so archaic and unlike any of the contemporary Imperial factions; lost relics from the mists of time.

Thanks! I really tried to set them apart and give them motifs all their own, I'm glad to hear I succeeded!

Thanks everyone for stopping by!

PS- I just found out I passed my first two years of medical school, so have a drink for me, I'll toast you guys from DC!

Wow, Fulgrim really does work excellently as a base for Custodes, having sufficient of him to build a group is something I'm most envious of. Very much looking forward to seeing the build, and the diorama, progress.

Congrats on the med-school success!

• 3 weeks later...

Got a bunch of random things for you all today! First off are a few Photos of the Tenth that I re-cropped and thought they turned out pretty cool:

gallery_84811_11476_16665.jpg

gallery_84811_11476_51500.jpg

gallery_84811_11476_38081.jpg

I was honored to find out that the 30k Iron Hands group made this last one their cover photo.

Next I've done some stuff to the custode, I added a Dragoon style crest and I am pretty excited about it actually haha I'm working on the pauldrons now and debating between going with the conventional Custodes look or maybe going with something more similar to the Smith artwork- Not sure yet!

gallery_84811_11476_60442.jpg

gallery_84811_11476_285050.jpg

For the powerplant I did a combo of the Custodes unibody and the external Astartes version- it felt like a good "transitional" stage between the two

Also I've made some progress on the Navigator, I'm really liking how weird he's turning out. Still debating on paint but I'm think of a dark red banner and chipped white everything else to reflect his Lunar origin.

gallery_84811_11476_88610.jpg

gallery_84811_11476_582097.jpg

I'm also resculpting the Rogue Traders hair. The retinue is almost done, I'm so damn excited to start painting again haha

gallery_84811_11476_87650.jpg

Finally I have a bit of a hobby grievance to air. With FW's new releases rolling out I can't help but see that the problems in quality that plagued the wolf line are still very present in everything they are putting out. The intricate detailing that once defined the company is markedly absent now and their sculpts are now more reminiscent of GW products than FW. Notice the drop in quality between these similarly priced products:

gallery_84811_11476_129420.jpg

gallery_84811_11476_11369.jpg

Additionally, I found glaring cad errors present in my Valdor model that I found quite sloppy. For a miniature that costs as much as Fulgrim, the lack of attention to detail was quite frustrating. Notice how the cloak, claws on the fur, chain, and medallion extend back:

gallery_84811_11476_1194597.jpg

gallery_84811_11476_677742.jpg

In my eyes, FW is really losing the edge that drew me back into the hobby after my long hiatus. These kind of miniatures are what I expect from GW, not FW.

The hobby isn't made for just me and it is under no obligation to conform to what I prefer to see. Unless things change, I am not planning on buying any new forgeworld miniatures outside of Primarch models, but that doesn't mean others won't enjoy these new sculpts. I do think we could all agree on one thing however: they shouldn't be charging FW prices for GW level sculpts. I believe it is incredibly dishonest to charge premium prices regardless if the product meets the standard.

This whole thing has been a bit sad for me. I have spent a ton of money on FW products and I gladly would all over again for their outstanding level of quality. Unfortunately I believe their golden days are behind them. While it lasts, we still have a brilliant catalogue of their old miniatures to work with and for that I am incredibly thankful.

Wow, Fulgrim really does work excellently as a base for Custodes, having sufficient of him to build a group is something I'm most envious of. Very much looking forward to seeing the build, and the diorama, progress.

Congrats on the med-school success!

Thanks man!

Always wanted to try my hand at the bare metal Adrian Smith custodes, really looking forward to this!

Thanks bud! Me too!

Thanks for stopping by everyone!

I'll never tire of these cinematic shots of your forces, they really epitomise the Iron Tenth to me, so well deserve their place fronting the group on Facebook.

The Navigator and Custodian are continuing to develop well, I think dark red and white will suit the former very well.

For the Custodian, I recall you asking somewhere about possible armaments (either here or on Instagram, I cannot recall), I think some sort of archaic energy weapon could be interesting. If I remember correctly, the legions were initially armed with volkite weaponry, so it would make sense for the Emperor's finest to be armed in the same vein, but more advanced; perhaps something like the lightning-gun? This would also have a nice imagery, as the symbols of Terra and unification were the lightning bolt, right?

I cannot help but share your misgivings regarding Forgeworld, especially with such comparisons; the new power-armoured praetor reminded me of the pewter Night Lord character; though I do like the Tartaros fellow. The sharpness really does seem to be slipping away, which is an awful pity for the hobby and, as you say, also quite unacceptable at the price point. I'm unsure if this is the end for all quality, however, there have certainly been recent releases that look as good as ever to my eyes (though note I have not seen them in person).

Finally I have a bit of a hobby grievance to air. 

Aren't you a month late with your airing of grievances? :tongue.:

It really is a rather peculiar development though. A few of these releases lack the crisp edges and fine details which distinguished FW minis from their plastic counterparts, while it looks like others are just as splendid as expected. The new Night Lords appear too clunky, especially when compared to Sevatar, just look at his winged helm and then at the praetor's. There are some positives like their weapons, with the axe from the terminator looking very promising, but then they are also plagued by rookie mistakes like chainmail loincloth missing links inside of the meat hooks.

No idea what's going on there. I'd have to get them in my hands to see if the differences are as drastic as they seem to be. 

Anyway, your new stuff is awesome as always. I saw your salamander over on Instagram getting closer to the finish line and he looks great! Love the scenic pics!

• 2 weeks later...

Aye something funky is going on with the sculpts. Some of the newer stuff looks sloppy, more aking to third party models. I wonder if it's moving purely into 3D model design or their schedules doing them in as some of the models simply look rushed. It's a mixed bag at the moment. Wish they took as much time with them as they do with the books. :tongue.:

Anyway, love the cinematic shots!
Great idea for the Custode backpack, Navigator and Rogue Trader are coming along nicely. What model is her armour exactly from?

Yo party people, just a few dark and weird photos of the crew, they are essentially done now! I'll actually be painting something soon!

gallery_84811_11476_178834.jpg

gallery_84811_11476_96121.jpg

gallery_84811_11476_275329.jpg

gallery_84811_11476_191708.jpg

Favorite photo of her:

gallery_84811_11476_167173.jpg

gallery_84811_11476_64049.jpg

gallery_84811_11476_110445.jpg

(Still got a strap to do on this guy and the emblem in the center of his chest)

gallery_84811_11476_370597.jpg

gallery_84811_11476_292435.jpg

gallery_84811_11476_24792.jpg

The crew all together on their little display:

gallery_84811_11476_1776902.jpg

Also, as if I didn't have enough projects already, I've started experimenting with truescaling some Tartaros:

gallery_84811_11476_14688.jpg

I've been pretty inspired by the Ebon Keshig, so this guy might be a White Scar, but we will see ;)

I'll never tire of these cinematic shots of your forces, they really epitomise the Iron Tenth to me, so well deserve their place fronting the group on Facebook.

The Navigator and Custodian are continuing to develop well, I think dark red and white will suit the former very well.

For the Custodian, I recall you asking somewhere about possible armaments (either here or on Instagram, I cannot recall), I think some sort of archaic energy weapon could be interesting. If I remember correctly, the legions were initially armed with volkite weaponry, so it would make sense for the Emperor's finest to be armed in the same vein, but more advanced; perhaps something like the lightning-gun? This would also have a nice imagery, as the symbols of Terra and unification were the lightning bolt, right?

I cannot help but share your misgivings regarding Forgeworld, especially with such comparisons; the new power-armoured praetor reminded me of the pewter Night Lord character; though I do like the Tartaros fellow. The sharpness really does seem to be slipping away, which is an awful pity for the hobby and, as you say, also quite unacceptable at the price point. I'm unsure if this is the end for all quality, however, there have certainly been recent releases that look as good as ever to my eyes (though note I have not seen them in person).

Thanks man! Lightning gun isn't a bad idea! I might have to look into that! I'm glad you can see what I mean, I think the pewter night lord comparison is painfully spot on.

Finally I have a bit of a hobby grievance to air.

Aren't you a month late with your airing of grievances? :tongue.:

It really is a rather peculiar development though. A few of these releases lack the crisp edges and fine details which distinguished FW minis from their plastic counterparts, while it looks like others are just as splendid as expected. The new Night Lords appear too clunky, especially when compared to Sevatar, just look at his winged helm and then at the praetor's. There are some positives like their weapons, with the axe from the terminator looking very promising, but then they are also plagued by rookie mistakes like chainmail loincloth missing links inside of the meat hooks.

No idea what's going on there. I'd have to get them in my hands to see if the differences are as drastic as they seem to be.

Anyway, your new stuff is awesome as always. I saw your salamander over on Instagram getting closer to the finish line and he looks great! Love the scenic pics!

Hey yo, better late than never! Yeah the rookie mistakes I find the strangest, how did no one see the hooks? Or the upside down bolters? Or the Space Wolf not having a handle on his bolter? So strange to me.

Aye something funky is going on with the sculpts. Some of the newer stuff looks sloppy, more aking to third party models. I wonder if it's moving purely into 3D model design or their schedules doing them in as some of the models simply look rushed. It's a mixed bag at the moment. Wish they took as much time with them as they do with the books. :tongue.:

Anyway, love the cinematic shots!
Great idea for the Custode backpack, Navigator and Rogue Trader are coming along nicely. What model is her armour exactly from?

Same here, the books are amazing and their quality has kept up fortunately. They are definitely resembling third party models more and more these days. Thanks man! Yeah, I was pretty excited when I got that backpack thing to work. The Rogue Trader is from the Artel W Katerina kit. If you aren't familiar with Artel, definitely check them out they have some great stuff: https://artelw.com

Thanks for stopping by everyone! Med school has been suffocating lately but Warhammer is keeping me sane, thanks for enjoying this hobby with me!

• 1 month later...

Holy christ, that is insane

Thanks man! I think so too haha

‼

Ummmm... you’re doing it again with the awesomes!!!

Is he going to have the segemented armor leaves on the chest armor as well?

Thanks man! Yes, you can't really see it in the photos but the armor over his stomach has the segmented leaves. I made the unsegmented chest armor a bit larger in proportion than that of the resin models just as a personal stylistic choice.

Solid start on the MKII.

Thanks! Hopefully more to come soon!

• 1 month later...

Since I returned to Warhammer, It has been a dream of mine to sculpt and cast my own set of truescale MkII armor. It's absolutely surreal to see it finally coming to fruition. It's working! And it looks like the art! This is everything I planned and nothing I even thought to hope for. I can't lie to you all right now, this has been the highlight of my time in the hobby thus far. For years I've been planning and gathering art and technical knowledge to make this feasible. It feels as though every project I undertook helped my learn a skill that I would need in this undertaking. I'm sorry for getting so sentimental about this, I'm just really :cussing happy with how it's all coming together.

Here are a few wips, Please note it is certainly not done and I'm planning on using an altered Lorgar backpack instead of the orignal MkII

gallery_84811_11476_188575.jpg

Alright Forgeworld, I'll just make my own MkII!

gallery_84811_11476_136537.jpg

Obligatory scale shot. This pulls my power armor into the same scale as my terminators. It has always bugged me that my termies were anatomically larger than my standard troops. This never made sense as the armor should make the bearer bulkier, not stretch their legs and what not.

gallery_84811_11476_259496.jpg

Wow!! Incredible bit of sculpting work so far. Looking forward to seeing how he turns out.

And that display... (keep using the 'wow' word!!)

Thank you! I'm glad you appreciate it!

Hopefully I'll get some time this Sunday for some display painting! Thanks for stopping by everyone

Edited by Luna707

They look solid together, your collection is going to be even more imposing when a sizeable amount of these guys are built up. What are your plans regarding the more ornate armour of units such as Immortals?

Exxxxtra wide backpack incoming!

gallery_84811_11476_29409.jpg

gallery_84811_11476_491726.jpg

Question for you all: what do you guys think about the bolter size? I'm down with it looking smaller (I think they are grossly oversized in the standard miniatures) but do you think I need to upscale it a bit?

They look solid together, your collection is going to be even more imposing when a sizeable amount of these guys are built up. What are your plans regarding the more ornate armour of units such as Immortals?

Thanks man! I'm actually thinking about sculpting the armor plates separately then affixing them to the MkII like they do in the lore. I don't know how feasible that is yet but I think it has potential.

Incredible! Such an amazing work!

Thank you! I appreciate it