Not very inspired but convention is to go grav with bikers. I don't know if that appeals to you at all but they are a traditional grav,carrier now in the list and if you are going out of your way to take them then why not like this?

Of course, if you already have good grav representation elsewhere then that normally means you have expensive devastator and centurion squads; these are a cheaper alternative. 3 guys and 1 attack bike with combi grav, grav x2 and multi melta. Will,pack a punch and it about 150 points.

Cheers,

You know, I want to avoid Grav, but this may be the squad that carries them. It's not a bad argument, especially considering their mobility will get those weapons "over there" fast. Luckily, the models are not committed with glue by this post. :tu:

Plus being relentless it means you always get to fire them at max range and shots.

Annoyingly grav is the best match for them you can put melta or plasma on other platforms and have it work just as effectively.

There is a definitely advantage of putting grav on bikes compared to other weapons.

• 3 weeks later...

So, I've been chewing away at the bike squad. With so many models available I've decided on the following plan:

3 bikes per session -> 3 sessions -> 1 bike + Attack Bike in last session.

So, the first session has:

• Sgt
  • Special Weapon dude
  • Dude
I settled on my original plan of a Lightning Claw/MB and a Melta Gun. Why? Because I may have another bike (total 11) available. So my second session will build the two Grav Guns. The Melta Gun is simply me just loving the weapon so much that I want it on a bike ^_^

Now then, onto iconography, or decals work. According to Insignium Astartes (with Ultramarines as the model),

• the Chapter icon is on top of the front wheel cowling (?),
  • tactical badge on top of the rear
  • Company number would be placed to the right side of the front wheel cowling.
Yet the Codex declares only the Company number on the right front wheel cowling and not much else because the rider's shoulders would show the details (tactical designation and squad number).

So, the former version shows more detail, the latter sort of, kind of fits my schema of how the Raven Guard would do it: very little. At the same time, even the Codex is not so rigid and that's how I can do what I want.

Since I loaded the Land Speeders with decals then I feel like I should do the same, yet I am really low on the "V" to show company designation. The shoulder pad will take care of that, so I'll just put the Chapter badge on the top front wheel and tactical marking on the top rear. Basically, I'll do what Index Astartes says to do but not totally. With the dull greys and black recipe I use, the decal work for the bike may break up all . that . black.

If I have not already said it, these bikes will come from the 6th Co (Orange shoulder trim) who were attached to my 5th Co. This will allow me to model a second JP Assault Squad from within the 5th. I have it in my head to make two squads of five witht the Attack Bike either coming from a third squad or permanently fixed to one of the two.

This should work :tu: I could possibly be finished with the first three bikes by Friday next week ^_^

Edited by Race Bannon

Vroom, vroom!!

Bike Squad 7, 6th Co.

So. I went against my previous posts about the decal placement and settled on the tactical marking on the left front faring with the squad number on the right side.

Hidden Content

gallery_6494_11942_745852.jpg

gallery_6494_11942_1005965.jpg

Special weapon dude: you'll see him holding the gun low. I kind of imagine the dude seeing his target and unlocking the weapon in preparation for the shot. His tactical badge is on his right leg because of having Mark VI armor.

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_11942_673396.jpg

Sergeant dude: I found a 2nd edition version of the Power Fist in my bitz, then married that with the Lightning Claw ... claw from the B@C set - it was a great match. The reason was because the current version of Lightning Claws is like the fist is holding a bar attached to the frame with the blades. With b@C, the claws are on the back of the fist. So, it made sense to me that the Sergeant needed both hands to ride the bike - he needed an open hand. with the claws!

I know his helmet is washed out from the camera flash. I promise there are shadows painted in the recesses :happy.:

Hidden Content

gallery_6494_11942_245861.jpg

Thank you for looking!

Edited by Race Bannon
Code rar!

Thank you ^_^

Planning the next batch will be another three dudes for a second bike squad.  Using Calson793's decal sheet, I may make them 5th Squad with the obligatory Graviton Guns.  The Sergeant will have the Melta Bomb ...

which I just realized I didn't make for the squad above :wallbash:

Should the Sgt get Lightning Claws too?  I like that theme and it's going strong in my army so far.

Thank you :happy.:

Planning the next batch will be another three dudes for a second bike squad.  Using Calson793's decal sheet, I may make them 5th Squad with the obligatory Graviton Guns.  The Sergeant will have the Melta Bomb ...

which I just realized I didn't make for the squad above :wallbash:

Should the Sgt get Lightning Claws too?  I like that theme and it's going strong in my army so far.

The Sgt with Claws sounds super fluffy and i always say...go with ROC ( Rule of Cool :cool.: ) 

with the Sgt's Melta-bomb,just paint one up and scratch a small amount of paint off of the rear right fender and glue it there :thumbsup:

I'm a bit rusty on this past edition (have not played many games since grav guns were introduced) so i really dig the bike squad "Grav" Delivery system

and will have to replicate that squad in my Raptors some time down the track(sooner rather than later )

great work here Race...it was a long read going through all of it but worth it,i learn't some stuff too :happy.:

cheers Mithril

Edited by mithrilforge

Thank you for reading!  For the points, I think an LC is a better investment as well :tu:

I'm curious though: the Dark Angels have a weapon called the "Corvus Hammer".  I don;t know the stats and it wouldn't matter anyway because we can't use them for the numbers .. but could they be used as a stand-in for another weapon?

Here's what's in my head: a sword is easy to imagine using, we probably have all played with swords in some capacity through our lives - I'm thinking of my 5yo with a Nerf sword swinging it around and chopping at things.  Anyway, a Lightning Claw is basically several short knives primarily for slashing, secondary to stab.  I dare suggest the LC is less flexible in use than a sword.  The Corvus Hammer, though, looks less like a hammer and more like a ... stake on a stick?  So, it's for piercing, am I right?  Could the CH be a decent 'counts-as' for something else?

Thoughts?

The Corvus hammer could count as a thunder hammer? albeit a more hi-tech stealthy compact version there of...right up the alley of a hit and run shadow force :ph34r.:    

the real type of hammer was used to fight against men in armour the flat hard was for general bashing but the spiked point on the other side was used to pierce armour and joints, a middle ages multi-tool :tongue.: .they would suit RG as they kinda look like a single talon/claw...

i was thinking of using them too, on 30k imp fists with boarding shields!

cheers Mithril 

That's kinda how I saw them: like a big claw to punch through something and pry it apart.  Based on that description you would think "Rending" would be a matching SR, yet I think "Shred" could work as well.  

Or maybe I am forcing it to work as an excuse to use the bitz :lol:

:teehee:

Giving the sergeant a lightning claw because he's Raven Guard is like giving an Imperial Fist a power fist: it's easy to drift into theme overdose.

Making a corvus hammer count as a lightning claw is counter-intuitive because no matter the rules, people will think it's either a smaller-sized thunder hammer or a power maul. Because that's what it looks like. Duh.

Nice bikers.

Edit: corvus hammers are rending as far as I know.

Edited by Knight of the Raven

I agree on the theme overdose too.  I couldn't find the words to express the concern, so the question is being asked.  Seeing it noticed means my feelings are not too far off from reality.  There are plenty of pics where officers are not using Lightning Claws so I could really do whatever I want with impunity.  Yet, I really do appreciate the weapon regardless of Chapter choice so picking another weapon also feels like I "have" to do so in order to not look like I am theme overdosing.

I do like the Power Maul though.  It was my weapon of choice when I was building my Raptors.

Thank you for the feedback :tu:  It is seriously appreciated ^_^

I gotta agree with KotR and give my +1 to Power Maul. Its what visually matches up the closest to the Corvus Hammer imo. I can see the Thunder Hammer argument, but it just doesn't appear bulky/with enough of a power plant to represent that visually.

On a side note, I feel like a strong argument could be made for using a Corvus Hammer as a power lance. The lance aspect is fluffy on a biker. The split profile leans itself towards the smash/punch dual aspect of the mace. I have always thought trying to model an actual lance for a space marine would seems silly to me, but somehow a flanged/bladed/spiked mace seems more fitting somehow. Just a thought (WSYWIG I still think Power Maul is the best fit for ease of identification).

Both lances and cavalry hammers (at least those with a narrower spike) also tend to stay stuck into the target's head after a ride/drive by. It's pretty embarrassing to be unhorsed (well, unbiked) from your bike because your weapon pierced too deep and you were clinging to its haft too hard while driving at full speed. :tongue.:

Welp, I guess that'll be the Dark Angel's problem after all.

As I plan the character bikes I'm leaning toward the DV DA bikes.  Yet the Black Knight boxed set has A LOT of bitz I could use and the Corvus Hammer is one of them.  So, if I get that box, then I would like to use the hammer.  Maybe less on bikes and more on ... anywhere else I suppose ^_^

I wanted to use corvus hammers as power mauls on Raven Guard tartaros terminators to go with my Talion-Lord (the other option being THEME OVERDOSE cataphractii lightning claws) but they last about as long as a pacifist in a World Eaters warband on ebay before being bought. And I need nothing else from the black knights box.

There are also apothecary bits in that box I believe, which should have less mould lines and be more defined than the plastic arm from the old command squad box. Can be useful.

i agree with the argument that the corvus does instantly identify with power maul (personally i do fancy it as a high tech thunder hammer - ++Raptor Claw Pattern++ :laugh.: )

and yes they are very scarce on the online sales part... i did see someone in the Dark angels forum a year or two ago get something similar to the corvus made up on shapeways...it may be worthwhile going there and searching for 40k pick/hammers ?? 

@ Race- love the 30k L/Claw ,going to use that on my Sgt too :wub.:

Mithril

side note with the corvus as a lance, when you strike with it the spiked end explosively impales itself into its target/victim and your left with a weighted Maul :wink:  ....that can be reloaded with another spike later...Hmmm that would actually be cool... 

Edited by mithrilforge

• 4 weeks later...

Vroom vroom vroom! More bikes!

Bike Squad 1

*sigh* I did the thing that makes the most sense in the current game, but against my personal desires: fitted with Grav Guns. But I did give the Sergeant a Power Sword. This does a couple of things: 1) gets away from saturating the army with Lightning Claw Sergeants, i.e. increased variety and 2) used a bit that's been waiting to be used. If you recognize the sword arm then you are old-school ... like me ^_^ I've been thinking on whether to even equip the Sergeant with a special weapon. I mean, that's points that could buy a whole Marine somewhere else. Yet, there is something about a Sergeant not having a neat weapon, right?

The decal comes from Carlson793's work and Testors decal sheet on a :cuss inkjet printer. Not sure if you can see it but I put a decal on the left knee pads (per Codex) and the size is perfect. If I have not already, then I highly recommend getting that file for the RG to get squad numbers done right. Thak you Carlson!

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_11942_776092.jpg

gallery_6494_11942_945278.jpg

Now then, I apologize in advance for the next pic. I don't take pro pics (if you have not already noticed), but it's been noticed that the flash on my camera white-washes the Sergeant's white helmet. So, this pic was taken sans-flash using a desk lamp with 53w soft white bulb.

The purpose was to show the wash used on the helmet to give it definition and shadow. Or something. It also shows the sword better and the Melta Bomb I remembered to glue on before finishing the model (sorry Squad 7 Sergeant!)

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_11942_9025.jpg

Thank you for looking ^_^

Hey Jolemai!  I've busted a few brain cells figuring it out without testing :lol:

P3 Black Primer

VGC Light Grey (actually not sure of the exact title because the label ink is smeared clean)

Citadel Flesh Wash in the creases

VGC Light Grey to clean up

P3 Morrow White over the skin (trying not to paint into creases)

Done.

The Techmarine did not get the Morrow White to give a dull skin effect.  Non-Sgt Scouts Had VGC Bonewhite for skin without highlight (because they are not full Marines, thus the Melanchromic Organ mutation has not come to fruition). 

Looks good Race. I'm probably going to go a similar way with my guys as far as your black is concerned.

Couple reasons. 1: It doesn't make sense to me for the sneaky marines to wear armor that reflects light. And more importantly,2: I'm kind of lazy about painting and don't have a lot of spare time (2 jobs).