So I built my Lucius Drop Pod.  WHY does that thing need three or four hands to build it?!  Even with the doors glued it has funky spacing between a support strut and the door.  I mean, it's a solid chunk of resin put together even though it's hollow inside.  Thank the Emperor it is going to be 95% black because ... bleh. 

Oh, and making the footprint was surprisingly not as easy as I had it in my head.

BUT, it is done and only needs paint :tu:  If I can get the time in I could be finished with it by the weekend.  Maybe.

I gotta say, that the idea of building and painting a plastic Drop Pod is not so daunting anymore.  Mithrilforge ... you deserve a Coke ^_^

Like Woah Dude! how did you know coke is my Achilles :rolleyes:  i'd love one right about now :wub: .

painting my pod at the moment too... got to make my template as well, what did you use race? i'm using a big ice cream container lid(if its big enough that is)

cheers, Mithril

If you get the Coke reference, then you have a long memory, btw ^_^

Having a drum set, I used a drum head box. Cardboard and thin. Knowing I may need more flexibility for the table, I will have to use it as a stencile for ... Paper? Hmm.

pics or it didnt happen :whistling:

Challenge accepted! As you know, with super glue, you get one chance to align the parts right. You might get some wiggle-room to make small adjustments, but otherwise a few seconds later it's set. I've learned with resin you shouldn't take apart pieces (at least not too often). maybe the resin for this model is old (bought it back in 2003ish, I think)?

Doors are glued and yet this space happens?!

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_11942_122970.jpg

Oh my ...

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_11942_121220.jpg

On the base this side looks decent:

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_11942_60711.jpg

But what happened here:

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_11942_68615.jpg

First World problems, right?

Edited by Race Bannon

Race, you're a drummer?

Use an old snare head for the template. Once you cut it out of the frame it should be plenty flexible.

Btw, I was a guitarist for 21 years until I developed a problem with my wrist

If you get the Coke reference, then you have a long memory, btw :happy.:

Joe Greene ? ....

Also resin = :dry.:  sometimes...

the pod looks good and as you say you bought it way back in '03 :huh.: , that's 14 years of age, temp change and warpage and god knows what else...

cheers Mithril 

Back in the Rogue Trader days, GW introduced the Grey Knights in the Realm of Chaos book (I believe). It was just a column or two buried in the book that I had photo-copied because I didn't want the whole book (and it would have been heresy to own one anyway :wink: ). Then they released some figs for the Grey Knights and also had a WD article sharpening the fluff with rules. The rules for them were cray-cray if I recall, so some comments below are based on those memories. I don't want to get into details but I have the impression they are a shadow of what they once were, relatively speaking. Regardless, I dug up my old models of them. I just could not part with them over the years.

The reason they are painted in the scheme is because I never saw a GW version of what they "should" be.

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_582_122465.jpg

I recall why the strip under the sigil were different colors - each was a librarian by themselves and could use powers independently :drool:

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_582_10868.jpg

Woof, really simple painting here:

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_582_25085.jpg

Because of the posing of the model, face details are tough to see in the pics as is the front of the legs.

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_582_142078.jpg

Now then, why post Grey Knights in my Raven Guard thread? I've always loved the Grey Knights conceptually and always supported their inclusion in game for thematic or narrative reasons. Yet, I really REALLY appreciated them when they were a shadowy idea only hushed in the corners of the overall 40K story.

Having said that, the modeler in my does want to own the updated version and the gamer in me wants to use a squad for the occasional game with my Raven Guard (hence why this post is being made). The squad in mind would be a mirror of the squad above: TDA with halberds only. Not optimal but I don't care. The unit is meant to be an homage, of sorts, to the original. BUT ...

I do not like the silver armor Gey Knights currently use. I know, I know they are "knights", and there is something to be said about their shiney presence in the middle of all the darkness they are designed to fight against, but ... :facepalm:

So, I'm asking you - do you think the scheme above would work with the current model range?

Edited by Race Bannon

Also being a GK player and one (for those who couldn't tell already) who doesnt particularly enjoy being constrained to standard GW recommended schemes.

I think they look awesome! Definitely one of the better grey schemes I've seen.

And who cares they're not optimized, they're not your primary faction nor will you be playing them ultra competitively (presumably )

First off, I have to say your post gave me major nostalgia. I used to own a squad of those exact models, along with the old two inquisitor models (the one with the bionic leg in terminator armor with the goatee and psy-cannon/pistol/needle weapon - Good stuff, good stuff).

I think your opinion/concept is a great one, and I think there is nothing wrong with wanting to do Grey as the color, rather than silver. That being said, I do have some alternate suggestions.

The Vallejo Model Air line has some great looking metallic paints. While I personally haven't used them before, I have watched video tutorials of them in action, and seen lots of "spoon swatch" pictures/videos where modelers test out the colors. While the GW silvers have a very chromatic/rainbow appearance to their metallics, especially their silvers, some of the Vallejo metallics appear very flat or muted, which to me represents a better ideal of a Metallic Grey (if you will).

One of these might suit your needs:

77.701 - Aluminium

77.702 - Duralumnium

77.703 - Dark Aluminium

These are all metallic, but all muted and not as shiny as GW metallics. I think you could take your old scheme and modernize it quite well by exploring that range. That being said, I probably wouldn't attempt any of the above with a brush, as the effect would be greatly diminished, and I can't recall if you said you own an airbrush already :wacko.:

Anyway, just my 2 cents :whistling:

Thank you guys ^_^.

I used to own the bionic leg dude but he really went he way of the Dodo over the years ...

Not owning an airbrush, I'd be willing to look at the colors suggested for a brush alternative! Something other than the GW style if it can be avoided. I never really notice the chromatism (new word?!) of the GW silvers before you mentioned it Vyper, woah.

Food for thought!

• 2 weeks later...

Still planning!

Let me bring in some pics to show my thoughts.

These pics are somewhere between Rogue Trader and 3rd edition. "But Race, that would be ... uh ... 2nd edition." Certainly, I'm just not sure when. Having said that, the 'Eavy Metal team decided Grey Knights are ... grey? Or is that silver ...

gallery_6494_582_21230.jpg

I think they are silver. Maybe.

BUT THEN - in 3rd edition, the Index Astartes article showed this:

gallery_6494_582_30981.jpg

In my estimation, the Index Astartes article laid the foundation for several Chapters with organization and history. GW, in their ownership of the brand, clearly changed a lot for almost every Chapter since their introduction and clearly the Grey Knights saw much revision since 2003-5.

But this style (black armor with silver parts) has always been very appealing to me. I'm thinking to follow this pattern, yet since my transition to the Raven Guard I started worrying that I would have TOO MUCH BLACK!

We all know that Nuln Oil wash can lighten or "greyify" (new word!) black surfaces, then I may give that a try for a whole model. Once I get a tester model done, I'll post something.

Thoughts?

Still planning!

Let me bring in some pics to show my thoughts.

These pics are somewhere between Rogue Trader and 3rd edition. "But Race, that would be ... uh ... 2nd edition." Certainly, I'm just not sure when. Having said that, the 'Eavy Metal team decided Grey Knights are ... grey? Or is that silver ...

I think they are silver. Maybe.

BUT THEN - in 3rd edition, the Index Astartes article showed this:

gallery_6494_582_30981.jpg

In my estimation, the Index Astartes article laid the foundation for several Chapters with organization and history. GW, in their ownership of the brand, clearly changed a lot for almost every Chapter since their introduction and clearly the Grey Knights saw much revision since 2003-5.

But this style (black armor with silver parts) has always been very appealing to me. I'm thinking to follow this pattern, yet since my transition to the Raven Guard I started worrying that I would have TOO MUCH BLACK!

We all know that Nuln Oil wash can lighten or "greyify" (new word!) black surfaces, then I may give that a try for a whole model. Once I get a tester model done, I'll post something.

Thoughts?

If you want to go this way, try going for the "opposite" style of black then your Raven Guard. Look at using the Nuln Oil gloss, perhaps after a few drybrushings of Eshin Grey and a wash or two of Drakenhof Nightshade.

That should give you a glossed blue/black which is similar enough to meld, but different enough to stand out slightly.

I saw the Nuln Oil gloss and wondered how it would work.

So, your thinking:

Black (I use P3 Thamar Black)

Drybrush Eshin Grey

Wash Darkenhof Nightshade

Nuln Oil Gloss

?

So, your thinking:

Drybrush Eshin Grey

Nuln Oil Gloss

?

Yup, that's the picture.  Though I would try it on a test dude first, just in case I'm off the mark on it.

I pulled out my copy of Index Astartes: Apocrypha to see if I could assist. Unfortunately there is no mention of GKs in their.

So, your thinking:

Drybrush Eshin Grey

Nuln Oil Gloss

?

My concerned with that formula is that it will just come out a matt ish black...

Id test something like

Black primer

Heavy dry brush Eshin (so the model is nearly completely grey)

Nulin Gloss wash

Dawnstone light dry brush

I don't think you'll notice the blue wash on the eshin grey its too dark.

Hmm, test models are needed for sure.

As for Apocrypha, it was a good book for the value, yet there were some articles I recall, that I would have preferred seeing in there. You want to talk "apocryphal", the original tank-hunter in a Rhino hull used an Autocannon :lol: Then there is the Spartan tank by turning a Land Raider upside down and adding the center front piece of a Rhino! Woo, those were the Wild West days of 40k.

I made the Spartan tank and just can't get rid of the model. I seriously doubt anyone would let me use it as such: the model is maybe half the length of the FW beast.

I like the black concept. I do think metallic is very iconic of the Grey Knights (personally), so I would probably shoot for starting with a dark metallic and then glazing/inking it down to a near-black color, so you end up with a metallic black in essence. Something like start with Leadbelcher (am I the only person who wants to continue to call it Boltgun Metal? :cuss...) then repeatedly hit it with Nuln Oil. Alternatively, get a darker metallic to start from an alternate range (Vallejo or P3 both have them, iirc). Just my two cents anyway.

Also, I am fairly certain from the blue-white gradient background and that font, that photo may be from a prior GW paper catalog. I still have my GW catalog from 1999 at home on my bookshelf, I shall have to pull it out and look to see if those old Grey Knight models are in there, and what paintjob they are. I believe those in that photo are Mithril Silver (metallic, now Runefang Steel).

Looking forward to what you come up with with the older black concept. I have 5 GK terms all primed and based right now that I never did play with (they are the metal versions that existed before the plastic kits came out, 4x Halberd, 1x Incinerator). Perhaps your work will inspire me! :teehee:

Aw man, I had the metal versions and gave them away to a friend when I moved because ... I don't recall.  Friendship?  No.  Heavy models?  Likely.  Meh.

And yes, I still *think* of Leadbelcher as Boltgun Metal too.  Leadbelcher ... like I burped metal :teehee:

That's not a bad idea as well.  As I have those colors already it will be easy for me to test.  In fact, I'll try it today:  maybe one coat of Nuln Oil and post pics later ^_^

So, Ima gonna dunk my Assassin in the Simple Green today as well.  Thinking about these guys has me tinkering with "Agents of the Imperium" stuff.  If I have the models already, then I'm saving cash (that I don't have anyway) and repurposing my stuff into my newer paint style :tu:

On RG-related news, the Rhino for the Talon's Reach event has A LOT of black painted.  I may get finished this week :woot:

I still love that black scheme......don't know if I would paint my GKT in it cause I already have 2 black armies (Order of Our Martyred Lady and Deathwatch), but it is a beautiful scheme.

if i was to paint it tho i would probably do it this way:

Prime model black

Rub and buff Silver (parts to be black and silver)

thinned down nuln oil/ drying retardant on parts to be black

1471327485497.png

nuln oil wash on parts to remain silver

Rub and buff gold on parts to be gold

agrax earthshade gold

then do the rest as you normally would