Pyroclast91's Forge = Salamanders Primaris and Death Guard

The fidget spinner made me chuckle, seen a guy that used one for a weapon on a World Eaters dreadnought :biggrin.:. The old terminator armor sounds like a cool idea, but i definitely would love to see more iron hands from you as the augmetics you make look great! The nurgle terminators are looking good and echoing Traitor the drake head does look a bit bulky on Guilliman, I think you could probably get a pretty decent drake for the shoulder pad from a press mold. 

Thanks fellas I really appreciate your input no worries the drake head on Guilliman has been removed and I'll take another stab at it tonight.

20170717_231139.jpg

Still somewhat up in the air about what he's going to end up being but that is part of the fun ;)

As for progress last nite I focused mainly on my plague marines and terminators. I honestly don't know why I never started a Nurgle army before they are so much fun to convert and I'm really looking forward to painting these nasty little buggers. I ended up cutting quite a few of the horns off of the pox walkers and I've been going through selectively trimming bits off of the plague marines as well for two reasons for one as I've noticed many people mentioning a couple of the plague marines are just too busy GW did an amazing job with these sculpts and I really love the detail they've poured into them but there's just too much I'm a couple instances. And secondly all those extra horns and other assorted Nurgley Nick Nacks will come In handy for converting up a couple more plague marines.

20170717_230510.jpg

here's the pile after the pox walkers and the bell guy.

20170717_230448.jpg

And here's the bell guy with less censers

20170717_230432.jpg

I honestly don't know what they were doing with his pistol arm in the angle it was in but I tweaked that as well and I think he looks much better. This next guy I'm really proud of though, I really didn't care for the face on "snot flinger" guy so I decided to try sculpting my first full face.

20170717_221307.jpg

I think it's turned out fairly well and it just kinda happened I was gonna sculpt a gas mask but it's like Nurgle guided my hand and made this guy into something the Lord of pestilence was pleased with.

20170717_221311.jpg

Tonight I'm gonna do some plasticard magic and turn that staff into a proper man reaper cuz... DEATH GUARD THAT'S WHY!!!! Really though I am a little bit surprised nobody had a scythe in the box to start with but that's easy enough to remedy. I Also did a little work on my "Corpse Maker" terminators. But I forgot to take pictures so I'll make sure to get them in the next post. I think time permitting I'm also gonna try to spend a little more time working on my loyalists I've been pondering bionics for the primaris and I think I've got a couple ideas that might work out so we'll see once I actually work on them is just so hard with the temptations of Nurgle I think they really might be my new modeling addiction. Anywho thanks for checking out my work I love hearing what you think any C&C is always greatly appreciated.

Must admit that I'm really intrigued about what that Guilliman is going to end up being :P... As for the plaguecaster, I'm not a fan of the base model, but the gas mask idea could be interesting, and the face is quite good for being a first try, the only problem I would have with it is that it isn't smooth, but he's a Nurgle follower, so it is kind of fitting!

@ The Traitor I really am too at this point I had all these ideas but as you mentioned before he's freakin HUUGE he makes Primaris marines look like guardsmen. So it really does kinda leave my options limited in that regard as I will be playing the model with my marines and potentially other Primarchs as they come out. I Have been considering saying to hell with it I can't have too many Vulkan models and besides you know he's got more than a few sets of armour. But until I can get a drake head I'm happy with that probably won't see much progress last nites iteration was better than the first but it's still just off too me but that's how evolution works uncountable mistakes and failures briefly punctuated with success. Let me know what you think of this one I'm already set on redoing it again but I love hearing another sculptors thoughts.

20170719_083039.jpg

@Vairocanum thanks brother I'm pretty happy with him and like I said it was one of those conversions that just sorta happened. but I definitely like it and I think I'm definitely feeling the corruption of papa Nurgle. I just can't stop it's almost a liberating feeling after spending my entire hobby life chasing clean lines and smooth details and now everything is rot and rust and decay and I think the death guard might be my new go to traitor army plus as I recall they got along pretty well with the eaters of worlds who are my Other favorite heretics. I did get a couple rough ideas cut out for the plague casters scythe lemme know what you think.

Option A

20170718_200754.jpg

Option B

20170718_201447.jpg

Option C

20170719_082804.jpg

I Also did a little bit more work on the terminators

20170719_082837.jpg

20170719_082855.jpg

20170719_082916.jpg

These guys are just so much easier to convert than loyalists it's not fair really ;) I did get a little done on the good guys besides just another failed attempt on Guillimans shoulder I finally found a good use for those extra Tartaros shoulder pads but I think now I'm gonna need a bunch of them so I think I may be hitting up shapeways I've seen a lot of awesome bits on there and I think shoulder pads with insignia on them would save me a lot of headache I mean we've all seen Guilliman.

20170719_082929.jpg

This guy has been one of my favorite sculpts since I saw leaked photos of the box I really love how dynamic his pose is I really think he did a great job with these new models and I really can't wait to see the actual multi part kits.

20170719_083010.jpg

Hopefully I'll get some fluff written to post once they've got paint on. There's just a couple things I need to read up on as far as all the new fluff goes cuz I like to keep my backstories as accurate to the fluff as I can. but my characters are starting to develop and they need propper names and stories.

I almost forgot I did also manage to do the bionic eye for my iron hands lieutenant not sure if I'm happy with it tho I may trim it down and redo a couple things tonight.

20170718_233014.jpg

20170718_233020.jpg

What I really need is either more hours in the day or someone to pay me to do this stuff lol but until then I guess it's just a little progress at a time. Thanks for checking out my work I love hearing what you think your C&C is always greatly appreciated.

Drake head on Guilliman's shoulder is better, but still a bit off, I think that the problem is that you aren't trying to make it "interact" with the trim, which has a uniquely baroque look to it. Maybe you could try to make it thinner and merge the both?

For the plaguecaster I would go with option C, it fits better with the model, and I had almost forgotten how talented you're with plasticard, you should really try to use it more, as you're really good with it!

And the Iron Hand bionics look fine to me, the only problem are the two cables that go to the chin, you could try to fix or maybe even remove them? It is true that the eye may be a bit too separate from the other, but it isn't that noticeable so, specially if you're running short of time (I feel you there, brorher) I would leave that as it is.

Hooray for more nurgle! I agree with Traitor and vote for option 3 for the scythe. The primaris with tartaros shoulder pad looks cool, definitely going to try that myself when I get Dark Imperium. As for the drake on Guilliman's shoulder pad, why not try for a frontal view of the dragon head like on the contemptor dreadnought? For the nurgle flamer terminator I think adding some pustles to the mass of GS in the back could look nice. And finally, the eye on the Iron Hands looks pretty decent to me but maybe you should add bionics to the helmet on his belt or possibly cut off the helmet to match your sculpted bionics. 

@The Traitor thanks brother I totally agree with you on the way my drake head just isn't merging with that trim. I'm gonna try it again and force myself to go as thin as I can and see how that works out I was also leaning more towards option C myself but in the end it just wasn't quite big enough so this happened.

20170720_080843.jpg

I think it came out pretty good and should look a lot better than his random stick he was carrying. I Also trimmed down the chin on the iron hand lieutenant but I forgot pics.

@betrayer41 thanks man I'm still very much learning myself

@Vairocanum it's crazy it's like can read my mind or it really is true great minds just think alike. I was just pondering last nite how to fix that helmet so it either has bionics built into it or like you said cut it off but I think I'd rather option A as I kinda like the aesthetic. And I'm glad you like my tartaros pad idea I think it really helps bulk out the marines profile it's just a bummer you only get one extra set with each kit cuz I think I'd like to do the same to an entire squad. But maybe I'll just leave him unique I've already started writing fluff for him he shall be known as Lieutenant Dek'Rath "The Promethean Demon" and here is as of last nite.

20170720_081204.jpg

20170720_081218.jpg

not a huge addition but I thought the chain was pretty cool now he just needs a but of gs work and it'll be time for paint.

With all the new awesome rules coming out I'm extremely happy with the chapters I'm building now and after thinking about what kinda damage they can do Vulkan He'Stan is looking like a stronger and stronger option for Guilliman there's a very strong possibility that may be his final identity. But we'll see I just can't wait to get my codex and see what we're really working with rules wise. And since I forgot to post this before I went to lunch I'll mention I just couldn't help myself and I stopped at the GW store and got some more plastic treasures but maybe I'll let them be a surprise thanks for checking out my work I love hearing what you think your C&C is always greatly appreciated.

That scythe head looks awesome! If you do some true-scale models you'd have more "extra" tartaros shoulder pads :wink:. As for Dek'Rath, his title of Promethean demon sounds cool! I think he'd look good with an under slung flamer like the ashen circle and also more scales given his title! Hope we'll get to see more cool stuff with your new purchases!

@Vairocanum thanks bro lol I suppose that would leave you with quite a few extra laying around. And as for the under slung flamer I played around with that idea last nite and didn't come up with much that I thought looked good I even considered a predator style shoulder mount but all the flamer bits I have are way too bulky for anything I tried so if I do go that route it'll be totally made from scratch. Also for scales I was pondering that as well I think Dek'Rath needs a cape but I've never been happy with my cape sculpting skills so we'll see how that turns out. I Did turn the skull on his chest into a Dragon skull.

20170722_004341.jpg

@The Traitor thanks man I was actually thinking the exact same thing I just need some pinning drill bits as I've broken my small ones and I need to use a paper clip as an armature to extend that yucky stick handle. I Also have a ton of bolter barrels that need drilled and all my bits that are left are just a tad too large. So perhaps I'll have to stop by the model train store on my way home from work.

Ive almost got my plague terminators converted I'm down to minor GS work on all but the Sergeant whom I'm working on coming up with a ccw for with the scythe being the obvious option but with others such as a flail being possibilities.

20170722_012848.jpg

20170722_012845.jpg

20170722_012819.jpg

20170722_005613.jpg

I Also did a little work on another plague marine cuz you can't have too many marines with there insides on the outsides.

20170722_012855.jpg

20170722_012855.jpg

My plan for tonight is mainly to get some work done on the loyalists but with how much fun I Grene with Nurgle who knows what'll happen. Thanks for checking out my work I love hearing what you think your C&C is always greatly appreciated.

@The Traitor thanks brother I think you're rite the scythe has kinda been over done I decided to give the flail a go since I happened too have those flail looking censer bits laying around that I clipped off of the bell guy :) also that tentacle is from one of the pox walkers the same place I got all the horns on the spiky terminator they really overloaded these models with details and if you're creative they can stretch a long way.

@Vairocanum thanks man they've definitely been a blast to convert now I understand fully why Nurgle is so popular amongst converters I decided to go with you guys and do the flail lemme know what ya think

20170723_235044.jpg20170723_235100.jpg

20170723_235116.jpg

20170723_235016.jpg

20170723_235016.jpg

20170723_234935.jpg

20170723_234907.jpg

20170723_234851.jpg

I really am having just entirely too much fun cutting up and converting these terminators And I really think they're gonna be awesome once they're finished and painted. Working on corrupting these little fellas has definitely given me an itch to do something bigger and we all know how I love Dreadnoughts I think when I get the other team there fancy new redemptor Dreads the Death Guard might need a couple contemptors. On top of getting the terminators almost finished I Also went on a mad priming spree and primed everything that isn't still getting converted.

20170723_235130.jpg

20170723_235133.jpg

The Shambling Horde numbers 26 pox walkers and growing :) I can't wait to paint these nasty little buggers I think I Also need to get some cultists and maybe a gene stealer box to bulk out my horde of walking meat shields.

20170723_235242.jpg

20170723_235246.jpg

20170723_235253.jpg

I decided to prime the Death Guard in white instead of green or black because I'm going to try to do them in a very early post siege of terra scheme especially after seeing Attia paint hers that way and they look amazing. I had a little bit of a mishap however and thought I was about to botch this batch because as I was spraying the little plastic insert in the tip of the spray paint can came out and the paint can started dribbling and stuttering and it was all bad but I got it sorted out turns out it might be worth buying decent spray paint ;)

I even did a little work on some loyalists

20170723_235612.jpg

Not sure why I love this pose so much this particular model just screamed badass in my mind he just had to become a character.

20170723_235745.jpg

I really need to get over my aversion to making capes because I think Dek'rath would look pretty awesome with one. I guess I'll have to find my press molds and take a stab at it.

20170723_235715.jpg

Now the only models not primed are Dek'rath, Gravis Captain, and the Primaris Ancient Oooh and the terminators. Because they've all still got some sculpting to be done on them. I'm super excited to start painting these two armies and have not one but two fully playable forces and I'm also really excited to start painting the Death Guard when it comes to modeling/painting I really love trying and learning new things and finding new ways to push my skills and apply what I've learned. Anywho that's my rambling for the morning I'd love to hear what you think your C&C is always greatly appreciated.

Edited by Pyroclast91

The terminators are looking fantastic! Love the nurgling so far, needs some gross textures to complete his ensemble. As for the terminator in the last pic, it sorta looks like his guts are just attached to his belt. Maybe some more GS to smooth the transition? Love the spiky crest you've given Dek'rath, fits really well. Looking forward to seeing more!

The Nurgle termimators look nurgly ;)! Some cool bits in there, that nurgling looks like he wants a hug! The litenaunt conversion is good, I agree with Vairo that the crest is great, though I don't like the pose that much, as many of the primaris it seems too forced to me... For a cape I wouldn't use press molding, simply make a thin layer of flat greenstuff in your table with the shape you want and, when it has cured a bit but is still flexible (an hour and a half is how much I usually wait) just put it over his shoulders and make curves and folds as you like.

@Vairocanum thanks bro I'm really having fun with them and I'm really looking forward to painting them. I think if I keep building followers of Nurgle I'm gonna need to get on Amazon and order some bulk GS because I see some custom daemons in this army's future. And as for the Nurgling I'm glad you like him he's been the recipient of any left over GS every nite when I'm done sculpting and I've just started on a friend for him. That's another great thing about Nurgle no more wasted GS it all has a purpose now.

@The Traitor thanks man that's kinda the vibe I was getting from the Nurgling too so I decided to change him up (see pic bellow) that's also a good idea for the cape I'll give that a shot tonight.

20170725_005321.jpg

He went from trying to get a hug to eating his own guts

20170725_081216.jpg

20170725_005256.jpg

I Also did a little work on the ancients banner this is a terrible picture though I'll get a better one tonight. And if I actually habe enough time tonight I'm really hoping to get started actually painting but that's still to be seen. Thanks for checking out my work your C&C is always greatly appreciated.

Man does GW know exactly how to get at my wallet. These new releases look amazing and I really can't wait to get my hands on a couple of those beautiful new Dreadnoughts. 4 of them to start with anyways :) 2 in green 2 in blackened steel. I've been daydreaming about what I'm going to do with them since seeing the leaked pics over a month ago. AND THEY WILL BE GLORIOUS!!!!! besides those bad boys I'll also be picking up 3 boxes of Reavers And at least 2 boxes of Aggressors and 3 boxes of inceptors when they're released. Not to mention I need at least one Repulsor which lets get real will end up being 2 . Oooh and how could I forget once the multi part kit for the intercessors and hell blasters are released I'll need at least 2 of each of these That's going to be somewhere in the ballpark of $1000 after everything's said and done cuz codex, paint, brushes, green stuff, energy drinks. And that's not to mention the other shopping list I've been making for my gaming/display table which will be somewhere around $500 and then there's also the issue that now Im building a traitor force too :( Im gonna need a second job or GW if you read could you maybe consider financing plans or maybe hook us up with some coupons or something when we're buying your wonderful plastic crack by the truck load?

Anywho enough of that rant on to some progress last nite my hobby desk was transformed yet again.

20170725_231747.jpg

"paint mode engaged"

20170726_074637.jpg

It's been so long I honestly almost forgot how much I love painting picking up my brushes was like seeing some old friends I haven't seen in a while and even tho I only managed to do the base coats on the first batch of Salamanders it was extremely rewarding however I may pause on the salamanders where they are for the moment as I realized in my haste I didn't do a test model didn't plan out my paint scheme nothing. I sorta just grabbed the Caliban green and my wet palette and went to work. So tonight I'm gonna do a couple test marines to pin down my paint scheme and maybe start on some of my pox walkers.

20170726_074645.jpg

Fortunately even if I decide to go a different direction Caliban Green is always a solid base color for green marines. But I think I am going to experiment with a couple other base colors just to see how they turn out. I've been wondering how it would look if I started at almost a blue like Stegadon Scale and try to fade it all the way too a bright jade green. Just because the desk is in paint mode doesn't mean no sculpting is happening though.

20170725_231633.jpg

20170726_000317.jpg

20170726_000310.jpg

I tried what The Traitor recommended but tried it out on my terminator Sgt before trying one for Dek'Rath and I think it's a decent start now I just need to see how it looks with some texture I think I'm gonna try to mimic the cloak on the Lord of Contagion where it appears to be alternating layers of rags and chainmail. Thanks for checking out my work your C&C is always greatly appreciated

Good to see you painting at last, the drake head on the captain's shoulder looks spot on. Also the cape is cool... Maybe a bit small for that model, but you're on the right track... Now that I have the DI box in my hands I understand what you said about it being troublesome to convert!

Great update! The nurgling eating his own guts is gross (in a good way), with those arms maybe give him long spindly fingers as well? Also agreeing with Traitor, those drake heads are looking much better! Looking forward to seeing some more stuff painted up!

@The Traitor it's good to be painting again as well brother I'm glad you think the drake heads are progressing as well lol I've done enough of them I'd be concerned if they weren't. As for the cape I was thinking it was too small too but I plan to add layers too it so I'm hoping I can bulk it out a bit then. I'm glad to hear you jumped on the bandwagon as well brother welcome aboard ;)

@Vairocanum thanks bro that's exactly what I was going for :) That's a good idea with the spindly fingers I might add a little to his arms as well but that is yet to be seen. I'm glad to hear my drake heads are getting approval across the board since I do pretty much consider you two my advisors :) And as for painted stuff it'll be coming In waves with the strong likelihood of a break next week since I'll be out of town helping my mom with my home town county fair. But here's the first wave to see paint.

20170726_223946.jpg

I decided to test some new base color combos the librarian was black primer followed by extremely thinned down Caliban Green and Kantor blue mixed about 1:4

20170726_223953.jpg

Sgt Stabby McBurnerson was primed black and base coated with Stegadon Scale and I think this will be my new base color.

20170726_224005.jpg

And then there's bolter guy who was base coated with a 2:1 mix of Caliban and Stegadon this was the runner up to the recipe I'm going to use.

20170727_001557.jpg

The Libby just isn't quite the color I want him to be after a couple layers of Warpstone Glow but his blue tint is fitting for his station I suppose.

20170727_001545.jpg

This is where I almost went with bolter guys recipe after a couple layers of Warpstone he really pops.

20170727_001535.jpg

The depth the Stegadon Scale gives the green is really what sold me I really want this army to pop so I'm trying to achieve a brilliant jade green without making them look like cartoons.

20170727_233345.jpg

After a final layer of Warpstone Glow and a layer of Biel Tan green the Libby looks a little better.

20170727_233401.jpg

I did the same to bolter guy but did a layer of Nuln oil too

20170727_233404.jpg

And then the same on the sgt who is my personal favorite. And bear in mind this is just the armours base color it's still going to receive several layers of washes and highlights. But now that I've determined my base recipe I got back to work.

20170727_233340.jpg

20170727_233333.jpg

20170727_233329.jpg

I'm very very pleased with these fellows so far these new gw kits are a joy to paint they've really done a great job with the details and proportions of these guys I seriously can't wait to get my hands on some of the dreads.

20170727_233253.jpg

I started base coating the horde of poxwalkers as well and good Lord is base coating that much bare flesh boring lol.

In between that fun I Also started working on my terrain project I really wanted to see just how big the manufactorum kit I got was to give me an idea if my estimate was close to what I want to do.

20170727_233501.jpg

20170727_233623.jpg

I've learned a couple things first being these kits are freaking amazing. it took me a little while to catch on but once I figured out the way they're designed and how they interlock I was hooked. My only complaint being the size of the building but at the same time this is the smallest building in there range and only cost $33 but I do think I'm going to need to buy 1 more of the imperial sector boxes than I originally planned. Most of the buildings I want to build are going to be like the one in the picture 3/4 destroyed and roughly the same size but I Also want one very large mostly intact structure I'm leaning towards a factory of some kind but mainly I want a land raider to be able to drive through it unhindered. After building this kit I believe that's totally doable since the tiles that make up the buildings are all modular and the majority of them are intact panels so with some creative rearranging I think I can make it happen we just won't tell my old lady way it really cost once it's done ;) Thanks for checking out my work and for all the advice you guys I really do appreciate the C&C

The librarian is looking great, I must have missed him from an earlier update. Will you be adding cables to the hood like Ezekiel? The regular salamanders are looking good too, nice shade of green. Most excited to see the terrain project, the large building idea sounds cool. Looking forward to seeing more! 

@ betrayer41 thanks man I'm pretty happy with them so far

I'm really getting into the swing of painting again I think unfortunately I choose to make my paint recipes as complicated as possible but I think it's worth it in the long run.

20170729_000328.jpg

last nite I started to lighten up the green.

20170729_000331.jpg

I did this by putting both Warpstone Glow and Flash Gitz yellow next to each other on my wet palette and starting out by dry brushing a layer of straight Warpstone Glow followed by progressively thinner layers in which I mixed progressively more yellow.

20170729_000334.jpg

After doing the entire group I washed them with Guilliman blue and did the entire dry brushing process over again. lol like I said it's time consuming.

20170729_000342.jpg

20170729_000340.jpg

The inceptor was the only one to get his entire second round of drybrushing.

20170729_001655.jpg

20170729_001718.jpg

20170729_001734.jpg

He's still got one more light wash before the final highlights on his armour then it'll be time to do the metals details etc. Hopefully the next batch will go a bit faster since this was a lot of experimenting to make sure I got the green I want. Im also working on learning how to blend my paints so once I've got that down it'll help too. I just can't wait to get my boys in green out on the table especially now that they've finally gotten not just decent but pretty freaking outstanding rules and maybe just maybe if I pray to the plastic crack gods hard enough maybe they'll get a real codex like they've deserved for so long but that may just be wishful thinking I suppose only time will tell either way codex or not I'm building them either way. Thanks for checking out my work I love hearing what you think your C&C is always greatly appreciated.

@Vairocanum I sorta snuck him in there as a test model I was planning to do some more converting on him but I plan to get the Primaris Libby and I've also got the one I made out of Ahriman to finish converting and paint so I think this guy will be painted and based as is. That is a good idea about the cables tho and I may have to do that on a different librarian.

Edited by Pyroclast91