Pyroclast91's Forge = Salamanders Primaris and Death Guard

While I like the colour scheme I think that it is lacking a bit of volume, maybe as you're already going through so much to make them look good you could edge highlight them in a very bright green? Or even easier wash them with a very diluted nuln oil? (Of course the best would be to do both, but that would probably be too time consuming). I've just painted green primaris and those are the two techniques that worked best for me after applying the caliban green and the warpstone glow ;). But seriously, they're looking good, maybe it is just me being obsessive with contrast between lights and shadows on a model... Edited by The Traitor

@The Traitor thanks brother it's funny as I read your comment I was actually taking a break from doing exactly like to the word what you suggested.

20170730_014403.jpg

20170730_014410.jpg

20170730_014424.jpg

It is definitely a lot more work this way but I think it definitely pays off in the end. But because of how tedious it is doing it this way I've also come to the conclusion I need to increase my batch size at least when I'm doing the base layers. After getting the highlighting done I moved on to painting my metal areas.

20170730_170553.jpg

20170730_190228.jpg

I start all my gold by painting it brown and this is a convenient time to paint any leather items like pouches holsters and armor seals.And since I forgot to get pics of the metal in its different stages I'll just explain. After the brown layer I do a very thin layer of screaming bell followed by a very thin sepia wash. Then a layer of Fulgurite copper with another thin sepia wash. After that the gold areas get a final layer of Sycorax Bronze followed by you guessed it another thinned sepia wash.

20170731_004319.jpg

Like I said I kinda got ahead of myself and forgot to get pictures but I'll get some up soon but I'm not sure how much I'll be working on my models the next week or so since I'll be out of town and might not have a ton of free time in which I can set up my modeling gear. Thanks for checking out my work I love hearing what you think your C&C is always greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Vairocanum thanks brother I'm pretty happy with them so far and its definitely taken a lot of practice and patience to get where I am and I still have a very very long way to go.

@The Traitor I'm glad you approve brother I think on personal models its totally worth the extra effort and I think it's paying off.

So I'm finally back from vacation and getting back into the swing of things. GW just won't give me a break apparently it seems every week they release something new I need to buy that new Morty looks amazing and I'm gonna need 1 but I've decided to make myself get my loyalists painted before I buy any more traitors and vice versa that way I clear out my current to do lists before adding more. In the interest of the new plan I spent last nite base coating the remaining Salamanders from the box set.

20170810_230531.jpg

After the stegadon scale I start mixing in some green

20170811_004848.jpg

I think the best part of sticking with your favorite army over the years is getting to see them evolve and man am I happy to be a Salamanders player I've yet to play a game in the new 8th ed but I've heard the new rules have been very kind to the sons of Nocturne. I'm hoping some time next month to have enough of both sides painted to test these rules myself. The other thing I've happily watched evolve is my paint scheme and technique it seems with every group I paint I find more things to add or tweek ever so slightly for instance I've been playing around with mixing in pearlescent paint into the green that I mixed up for my armor and I'm very pleased with the results so far I may add a bit more as the effect isn't quite as noticeable as I'd like.

20170811_004851.jpg

I decided because of the process going into each model that it made more sense to do the entire lot as a batch so I'm getting the rest of the salamanders up to the same point as there brothers before taking them further. But hopefully that will be soon thanks for checking out my work I love hearing your input C&C is always greatly appreciated.

Hmmm... Curious to see that you start from such a blueish tone, it doesn't looks like it when you see the final product. Have you tried doing a model starting directly with Caliban Green to see if it is really that noticeable? Sometimes it happens that I find out that I can completely suppress a step from some painting recipe without it changing much at the end, I just recently stopped using Ushabti Bone in my bone formula at all!

And yes, Salamanders are one of the best chapters in 8th, as are the Raven Guard, so you got lucky this time!:P

@ The Traitor thanks man I always appreciate your input and to answer your question yes I did do a couple test models with my new blue to green recipe. Its hard to see in the pictures I but I think in person it does have a noticeable effect especially in shadowed areas it helps give the green a lot more depth in my opinion. But I do totally understands what you mean and if these weren't for my personal army I'd opt for the faster option but since I want this to be my army that I take places I really wan't it to be my best work. In other words no short cuts :) so far I think it's paying off and I think it will absolutely be worth it in the end.

@ Vairocanum thanks brother I did indeed I had a blast camping and teaching my girls how to shoot it was definitely a nice break from the city :) That being said I think I was starting to have plastic crack withdrawals so it is good to be back in my dark corner where us nerds belong.

I had big plans for yesterday hobby wise but the kids are at grandma's and my better half had the day off as well so plans were re arranged a but but i still got a great deal accomplished on the Salamanders.

20170813_211841.jpg

20170813_211851.jpg

20170813_211906.jpg

20170813_211921.jpg

20170813_231249.jpg

It's definitely a longer process the way I'm doing these fella but I'm very pleased with the results and I think this army is gonna look great on the table. Now that the basic green has been laid down for the armor I can start highlighting and shading.

20170813_231343.jpg

20170813_231407.jpg

Getting closer and closer to having these guys finished thanks for checking out my work I love hearing your input C&C are always greatly appreciated.

Yea corner spaces away from everything do wonders for productivity :teehee:. Glad your camping trip was great, I've actually got a small weekend camping trip myself at the end of the month (fingers crossed the weather stays clear). Everything is looking good, most excited to see Dek'Rath completed!

Thanks Vairocanum I hope you have a good time on your trip as well and I'm excited to get this squad finished and get on to the Iron Hands. And of course the Death Guard but I decided I really need to get the contents of the starter box finished before I add more to either force because at the staggering rate GW is releasing things I'll end up buried in half finished projects (more so anyways) if I don't figure out some sort of way to control myself. Unfortunately I've been pretty pressed for time here lately but I've gotten the armor painted green on the entire salamanders part of this first wave of primaris.

20170820_231933.jpg And yes I paint while watching GOT which was a terrible idea with the most recent episode if you watched it you'll understand lol.

20170820_231902.jpg

That was a lot of highlighting on all that green armor but I think it was well worth it I've also started blocking out the areas that will be metal. I need to run by the craft store today to get some silver rub n buff as i want to try it on my bolters and blades etc but i also plan to use it on my iron hands i have what i think could be an interesting way of painting the Iron tenth in a way of blending the old and new so we'll see how that goes.

20170820_231959.jpg

Hopefully I'll have more time in the coming weeks to get more accomplished but we'll see how that ends up thanks for checking out my work I'd love to hear what you think your C&C is always greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Fear not brothers I've been busy painting I didn't disappear into the cicatrix maledictum or anything. RL has just been making sure my spare time is very limited but I the time I have had I've been trying to get the first batch of salamanders knocked out and I'm getting pretty close I think. Here's some pics

20170827_234054.jpg

20170828_230503.jpg The way I split up the primaris I have I ended up with 6 intercessors and 2 lieutenants so I've decided that each lieutenant will be designated to a combat squad indicated by the markings on the right knee pads of there armor. My goal here is to give a little fluffy diversity and to be able to eventually have each lieutenant leading a full 10 men and each having a second lieutenant.

20170831_005602.jpg

20170831_005645.jpg

Ive started to do the flames on the armor now as well I'd completely forgotten how tedious that is. But I'm happy with the results so far. Hopefully ill have more time over the next couple weeks so I can get these guys knocked out and on to the next ones. Thanks for checking out my work I'd love to hear your thoughts C&C is always greatly appreciated.

I've missed following this. I'm not a massive fan of the new primaris marines, however your Sallie paint scheme is really winning me over. Your flames are great as always, the paint job on the armour is in my opinion your best yet. With regards to your Lieutenants, the idea of differentiating them is great, I personally would move away from "Codex" markings (i.e. red). For me I would use scales, more flames, hammers or anvils. Or perhaps just black or gold? Keep you the great work.

• 2 weeks later...

Been a super busy couple of weeks but I've still been plugging away on the Salamanders. Thank you all for your continued support it truly is the best thing about this site. I know for absolute certain I wouldn't be anywhere near the skill level I'm at without the things I've learned here both from others threads and from all of your comments on my work so again my brothers and sisters thank you.

On to the business.

20170907_081122.jpg

20170907_081128.jpg

20170907_081149.jpg

20170907_081139.jpg

I'm down to the tedious detail portion of the task picking out details and highlighting metal things.

20170907_081256.jpg

20170907_081301.jpg

I've been debating with myself as to how I'm going to do the shoulder pads and i think I'm going to suck it up and order some emblems from shapeways because if I sculpt them it'll be another 6 months before these guys are done.

20170907_081342.jpg

20170907_081355.jpg

20170907_081408.jpg

20170907_081459.jpg

20170907_081512.jpg

I had to take a break from the green for a while so I started the Iron Hands.

20170907_235211.jpg

20170907_235219.jpg

I wasn't able to get rub n buff locally so ill have to try that plan another time but my current plan is to do something similar to my heresy IH but with a bit more actual black. But we'll get back to that. After that short break I decided the ancient should be the first fully painted.

20170911_001708.jpg

20170911_001720.jpg

20170911_001444.jpg

20170911_001448.jpg

20170911_001651.jpg

Thanks for checking out my work I really appreciate all your input hopefully I can get back into the habit of daily updates soon if life will allow me that much hobby time.

Wow, you've really been busy, I feel you there brother! This army is going to look so damn amazing when finished, the ancient is a perfect example of how well your new colour scheme works. However, if I'm allowed to suggest something, I would add another colour to the 18"-not-really-heavy-bolter thing that the Inceptors have, red or green, because I think the shields won't look too good if left metallic... Maybe simply paint them black as the weapon casings?

@The Traitor thanks brother you are too kind as always and have no fear those mag shields won't be left plain I may actually tackle them tonight time permitting.

@Bjorn Firewalker thanks I'm glad you like them I think I'm starting to get the look I've been after.

@Vairocanum thanks brother hopefully I can get myself back into doing them more regularly. As for the dreads the ones I've already finished probably won't see a repaint but with my dreadnought obsession you can count on seeing several big green stompy robots on this thread as soon as my hobby fund will allow lol.

@ Hushrong thank you I'm glad you like what I did with the LT/ Captain for just being very small changes I think they've come out pretty well. And as for the iron hands they'll be next up on the painting block very soon.

Thanks for all the comments guys they really help keep the hobby fires burning. So since the first batch of salamanders are nearing the home stretch I figured its time to throw some bases together. I considered doing something new from the bases I did for my Ash Vipers but since eventually I want my entire collection displayed on the same table uniformity won the debate.

20170919_075114.jpg

I started the same as always with glued down sheets of cork with tooth picks, paper clips, random bits including the odd helmet or hand, sand, small rocks, broken cork chunks, and random bits styrene all glued to the base on my next batch ill take more wip pictures so you can see my process. But basically after that mish mash is all glued together I spray paint it black then add liberal coats of Astrogranite (one of my all time favorite paints) followed by and this is a new step Sturland Battlemire which I'm still getting used to using but I think its pretty nice as well.

20170919_075437.jpg

Several of the bases like the one for my ancient have pipes on them and I'm using Nurgles Rot to add a sewagey effect and it works quite nicely. I still need to do some dry brushing a wash or two and get all the metal bits but it's all pretty quick easy work on the bases so that shouldn't take long.

While I was waiting for the battlemire to dry I started working on the power swords.

20170919_075041.jpg

This is just the first layer of red to be followed by at least 2 more and then a super fine white highlight.

20170919_075021.jpg

Thanks for checking out my work I love hearing what you think your C&C is always greatly appreciated.