General Discussion Secundus

bluntblade

Thinking of Alex's temptations, perhaps the Slaaneshi one culminates him duelling the emissary? Be a nice chance to actually use my Pallid Priest idea. I'd also be quite tempted to pitch a Primarch against the Ragged Knight.

Thinking of Alex's temptations, perhaps the Slaaneshi one culminates him duelling the emissary? Be a nice chance to actually use my Pallid Priest idea. I'd also be quite tempted to pitch a Primarch against the Ragged Knight.

Pallid Priest? Ragged Knight? I feel like I'm missing something. 

Update on my social work major. Had a second meeting with the same professor. Much nicer. No suggestions that I leave the program, encouraged by the steps I was taking to address my interpersonal skills, and might actually subscribe to my Let's Play channel. Who knows? 

The internship itself is in a bad condition despite the 150 hours I threw into it this last month and a half. But there's hope. While my hours are completed, the remainder of Field is dedicated to prepping for Senior internship. If I make sure that everything from this point onward is on time and done to the highest quality, I might just squeak by. So, that's my plan. I'm feeling a lot better emotionally. Again, thanks for all of the words of encouragement and support, brothers!

You're welcome Sim, we Lost Brothers must stick together after all! Take whatever time you need to brother, real life comes before toy soldiers after all. :smile.:

No time necessary. Next week is Spring Break, and I've already finished the one assignment due during it. I will take the opportunity and work ahead, but it shouldn't slow down my posting. If anything, it'll probably look like I'm speeding up now that I'm not juggling school and internship.

Blind, I recognize your volunteering and pronounce thee editor. 

Now, as to the writing challenge, here are the candidates: Steel Legion, Godslayers (2), Void Eagles (2), Grave Stalkers (2), Predators, Fire Keepers, The Drowned, and Warriors of Peace. I think the Eagle Warriors are also in need of some attention.

I think the Drowned and the Steel Legion are tied for least developed, but at least Sanguinius is here regularly. And since I want this to be an easy first month since we're already three days in, let's not do the Drowned just yet. 

So, San, is there enough of a base to start on the Steel Legion, or would you like another month? 

So, San, is there enough of a base to start on the Steel Legion, or would you like another month?

I'm more than willing to open the Steel Legion up for use, technically Sigi already wrote a short story for them at the start of the SL thread:

Here's the story with () where I need to put in names later. Seeing as I partly wrote this to help myself get a handle on the XVIIIth, please tell me if something's wrong

Beauty in the machine

() looked into the dust kicked up by the creeping barrage. While from the outside he looked like any other warrior examining the battlefield he was about to march into, in fact he wasn't really looking into the swirling clouds of dust. Instead, he was scanning over his section of the advance, a space measuring 100 metres in front and 5 metres either side of him. He had pre programmed this radius into his ocular implants, so when he swept his vision over it, his ocular implants scanned and filtered every image they got before relaying the resulting information to his servo implants which in turn relayed the information to the rest of the vanguard. The information collected by the legionaries on the ground was then combined by Captain () with the information they had received from reconnaissance drones and previous probing attacks before being relayed back to the vanguard and their support units. The result was an unmatched amount of information at the fingertips of every single member of the assault, allowing them to see points of likely resistance, confirmed traps, likely murder points and a thousand other pieces of information about the battlefield.

Soon another piece of data was added to this picture of the battlefield. In exactly thirty three seconds, the first shell of the creeping barrage would fall two metres in front of (). Sure enough it fell but instead it fell two metres and thirty five centimetres in front of (), a piece of information his servo implants related straight to the gunnery crews. Sure enough, with the information from his and the rest of the vanguard's servo implants, the gunnery crews were able to adjust their aim accordingly and correct flaws in their calculations.

As they did and each shell fell exactly two metres in front of () as he marched through a preplotted and pre cleared route through the fortresses surrounding mine fields, he smiled. This was warfare at its most beautiful. An ancient Terran artist had once replied when asked how he made his sculptures that he removed everything unnecessary. Such was the XVIIIth's way of war. Their shared view of battlefield removed anything unnecessary and the result was war at its most beautiful. Fluid, mechanical, efficient. It wasn't just war, it was art. The most beautiful, austere, pure form of art man could create, like a well lubricated machine, every cog and gear perfectly in time with its fellows, always expending just enough energy for maximum efficiency. Never more, never less.

Within three minutes forty nine seconds, () had passed through the minefield. Beside him, his squad were converging towards the same point as him, the same point as the three other squads of their sector of the assault, a gaping hole in the fortresses walls. Over their heads into the same hole went streams of heavy bolter, volkite, plasma, las and frag missiles, each aimed in accordance with information relayed from the vanguard's ocular implants. Within a minute, the heavy weapons fire transferred its focus to the walls around the breach. As everything else in the assault it was precisely timed and targeted. Reconnaissance drones and ocular implants of the vanguard had identified weapons emplacements on the walls that could inflict heavy casualties on an assaulting force and so, once the assault force was within unaugmented visual range, the support squads switched their fire to those emplacements.

Advancing over the mound of rubble in the breach, the legionaries kept the appearance of utter silence as they opened fire, instead communicating via data blurts to their shared tactical overview, telling each other of potentially dangerous weapons and eliminating those before turning their weapons on less dangerous las rifle wielding troops. The methodical nature of the fighting was comforting, reliable. Beautiful () thought again. The perfect synchronicity was beautiful.

I'm also more than happy to help out with answering any lore questions or what have you our might have during the writing process, calls upon me brothers, and I shall lend you my knowledge. :)

Preds got two votes as well :wink:

Sorry for missing that. The Predators will definitely get higher priority to reflect that. 

Alright, this month is the Steel Legion. 

Just been reading and found a piece of fluff whuch could be applied to our 'verse and, more pertinantly, the Steel Legion.

Apparently, in canon, it wasn't just the EC who took a hit due to a gene-seed crisis. It was also the WS and BA. So III, V and IX. Lions I have no problems inflicting a gene-seed crisis on as it helps explain their small size and inactivity during the latter stages of thz Unification Wars. If the Warbringers(I think our IXth?) also suffered it, it could lead to an abnormally large apothacerion, giving Kozja a base to build off of when he takes over command of the legion.

Vth is more of a problem seeing as the HW take a very active role in the Unification Wars. So how about we change it to XVIIIth and make that something which ingrains an innate distrust of the flesh into the SL mindset?

I'm gonna have to go for a hard pass on that idea, the SL, despite some similarities, aren't the Iron Hands. They don't hate or distrust their flesh, they accept that while yes the flesh has limits they're ultimately more effective with it then without, save for Animus Silica, even the most sophisticated machine cannot think creatively or "outside the box" as a human can, it can't feel human emotions or care about human concepts like loyalty, honour or justice. The Steel Legion have seen from their homeworld what happens when machine controls man, and they refuse to let it happen again, they will never cast aside their humanity for mere power. As a result, aside from the neural implants necessary for use of the Collective the SL don't add bionics unless it's needed, like prosthetics to replace lost limbs. Edited by SanguiniusReborn

Idea to.differ them some more: what if the implants are necessary and the legion would suffer a terrible fate withput them? And the longer they live, they need more implants. Mayne their organs degenerate or something like that. So you could emphasize on their longing/desire/wish to keep as much of their humanity as possible. They are forced to give up their flesh wjere the hands do it willingly

Hello all, I have seen brotherhood of the lost pop up in new content a bunch of times and finally decided to check out what it actually is and wow! This is something else. :D

For (what i can tell is) a fairly young project there is a lot of info to get through.

But you have got my interest and would love to get involved, although I'm not sure what exactly i can offer or where to start really.

I realise that a lot of details are still being worked out and i read the 'start here' with the legion descriptions but could someone point me to a description of the allegiances (sort of whos fighting who and why?)

But yeah... very cool and exciting everyone :)

Edited by brettfp

Loyalist:

III-Crimson Lions-Hectarion Mycenor

IV-Void Eagles-Yucahu

V-Halycon Wardens-Alexandros Darshan VonSalim

VI-Iron Bears-Daer'dd Niimkiikaa

X-Fire Keepers-Niklaas

XIV-Dune Serpents-Azus

XIX-Scions Hospitalier-Pionius Santor

Reasons: Loyalty.

Traitor/Insurrectionist later Suzerainty

IX-Warbringers-Kozja Darzalas

XVII-Warriors of Peace-Jade General

XVIII-Steel Legion-Nomus Sardauk

Reasons: Dissatisfied with the Imperium but unwilling to join Chaos so break away to carve out their own empire, the Suzerainty, when tje other Insurrectionist legions begin to more openly embrace Chaos

Neutral later Loyalist

XII-Wardens of Light-Gwalchavad

Reasons: Their primarch is a pacifist. 'Nuff said.

Loyalist later Traitor/Insurrectionist

XX-Predators-Andezo Sambedi-Tzeentch

Reasons: Initially loyal, later switch sides to try and destroy chaos a la Alpha Legion

Traitor/Insurrectionist

I-Lightning Bearers-Icarion Anasem-Chaos Undivided

VII-Berserkers of Uran-Raktra-Khorne

VIII-Godslayers-Koschei Kharkovic-Nurgle

XIII-Eagle Warriors-Alexos Travier-Chaos Undivided

XV-Grave Stalkers-K'awil Pakal-Malal

XVI-Drowned-Sorrowsworn Morro-Slaanesh

Reasons: Uh...they really vary from legion to legion. Generally they were dissatisfied with how the Imperium was running and restrictions imposed on them

That's the SUPER condensed version. You should be able to find more detail on our wiki ( http://botl.wikia.com/wiki/The_Brotherhood_of_the_Lost_Wiki )

Edited by Sigismund229

Hello all, I have seen brotherhood of the lost pop up in new content a bunch of times and finally decided to check out what it actually is and wow! This is something else. :biggrin.:

For (what i can tell is) a fairly young project there is a lot of info to get through.

But you have got my interest and would love to get involved, although I'm not sure what exactly i can offer or where to start really.

I realise that a lot of details are still being worked out and i read the 'start here' with the legion descriptions but could someone point me to a description of the allegiances (sort of whos fighting who and why?)

But yeah... very cool and exciting everyone :smile.:

Greetings and welcome to the Brotherhood of the Lost, frettfp! We're always happy to welcome new members to the project. What you can do is quite a bit. While the legions are set in stone, if you want to create a new force, there's the Imperial Army, the Mechanicum, or sub-units within the legions. 

Or Blackshields or help expand upon the Nightguard

Right, and that's just opening new avenues. We also could use a wiki writer to translate the stuff from here to there. We could always use a new fiction writer to develop the current forces in play. In other words, there's so much a person could do...actually, we do have one or two legions who's 'owners' are looking to trade away. Or, they were at one point.