+++ Hidden Hands of the Emperor +++

Valaas

Is that Land Raider finished Race?  It looks good but the grey parts look like they are still just primed.  Wasn't sure if that muted effect was what you are going for though.

Yep, done.  The grey is ... forgot the brand ... but heavily washed with Nuln Oil.  That's it.  It looks better in person since my phone camera is really ... not good for this :ermm:

ok a question for all you lore monkies.

I've decided the 5 sternguard from the Shadow Force Solaq set I got are, in fact, going to be modeled as Sternguard.  (originally I had designed/equipped them with arms to be 4 Honor Guard + Company Ancient).

Now I've ripped the arms off so I can magnetize them for either various sternguard loadouts, or, also, possibly to be used as Company Veterans.

So here's my question; does the "Company" in Company Veterans always refer to 1st company? Or are there Veteran brothers permanently assigned to a given battle company?  Since I'm doing 3rd company (because Shrike + red goes nicely with blood angels in case I decide to field a multi-national force) I wanted to know if my company/sternguard veterans should have red trim on the right pauldron.

Thanks!

Is that Land Raider finished Race?  It looks good but the grey parts look like they are still just primed.  Wasn't sure if that muted effect was what you are going for though.

Yep, done.  The grey is ... forgot the brand ... but heavily washed with Nuln Oil.  That's it.  It looks better in person since my phone camera is really ... not good for this :ermm:

Yeah cell phone cameras suck. After I look at my pics, I'm like "I swear guys, i'm a better painter than these would lead you to believe!"  But they (cell phone cams) are soooooo convenient and easy, eh?

Absolutely!  Yet, there is a method to my madness too: I have a camera, but have not loaded the software due to procrastination :wacko.:

As for the lore question, from my point of view, the "Company" in the title refers to the Company they are with.  These guys are from within the Company and banded together to rock out ... and take a bullet for the Captain if they are nearby :lol:  So, it's not that they are 1st Company veterans assigned to another Company.  To reiterate: Company Veterans are what the Command Squad used to be; same dudes, different title.

So here's my question; does the "Company" in Company Veterans always refer to 1st company? Or are there Veteran brothers permanently assigned to a given battle company?  Since I'm doing 3rd company (because Shrike + red goes nicely with blood angels in case I decide to field a multi-national force) I wanted to know if my company/sternguard veterans should have red trim on the right pauldron.

Thanks!

No, Company Veterans are veterans staying in their companies (as commander retinue and whatever) before/instead of moving to the 1st and while not leading troops as vet sergeants. It’s a temporary unit, not part of the company organization but because a commander asks his friends to accompany him.

The 1st Co veterans are, on the opposite, organized in sternguard, vanguard and adjacent terminator types. There, too, might be a company vet squad if a commander needs it.

@ Race:

I think the grey parts are totally OK and one can easily tell from the pics they are done by washing. I’d be more concerned about the black parts that still look base-coated to me. What have you done there and what was eaten by the phone?

@ Nese:

Hidden Content

Completed.

aimg_34644mkxx.jpg

aimg_34742dj3i.jpg

Next one:

I , MajorNese, for the glory of the Raptors Chapter, vow to complete a primaris bolter squad (5), a primaris ancient, and a gravis captain by 11:59 PM on September 15, 2017.

The ancient is already done, painting competition and all.

aimg_3470x3jlp.jpg

For those who think a banner is too flashy for the sneaky guys, just magnetize it. Passes for a sergeant well enough, borrowing the assault sergeant's stuff for the photo. :biggrin.:

Looking great!

But have you thought about trying OSL?

With the very bright blue effect you are using, you could make the parts actually glow!

And on this level of painting you should be able to.

I, Race Bannon, for the Raven Guard Chapter, vow to complete one demi-squad of Tactical Marines by 11:59 PM on September 15, 2017.

:tu:

@ Kua - Black is just black.  The model is sprayed with Tamiya clear coat so it is MATTE.  It's almost scary how effective that stuff is.

Uh… alright.

But don’t you want to try some techniques on black next time?

It’s not an easy colour, but there is so much black on RG that it’s almost a crime to leave it just sprayed.

I'm in the same camp as Race on the black.

If I wanted really elaborate black paint schemes, I'd play Templars or Iron Hands. Templars because they have a butt ton of red and white in their schemes, Iron Hands because they look really good with glossier black armor.

Most of my detail comes from washing and drybrushing. Edge highlights look great on chapters that are meant to be in your face. Since the Raven Guard are supposed to be sneaky space ninjas, the edge highlights just don't feel right for me.

Another tidbit from the Shrike novel: The Mechanicus on Kiavahr actually developed paint specifically for their equipment that absorbs light instead of reflecting it. So there's a canon justification for avoiding edge highlights on Raven Guard.

Another tidbit from the Shrike novel: The Mechanicus on Kiavahr actually developed paint specifically for their equipment that absorbs light instead of reflecting it. So there's a canon justification for avoiding edge highlights on Raven Guard.

Personally not liking edge highlighting by principle, too close to comic style. To create a more realistic effect, I simulate diffuse lighting from above (by blending from olive to black on the lower armour parts), which (as a photographer) just looks more natural.

Full disclosure: When I first came back to the hobby, I was torn between Raven Guard and Salamanders.

I liked both themes equally, and could have gone either way with playstyle.

In the end I chose Raven Guard because I was also picking up a brush for the first time in 8 years and Raven Guard seemed easier to paint.

Nese, in the time since I first saw your olive/black wet blending technique, you've taken it from "effective" to "gorgeous". Really nice.

I can't believe we're getting on for a month into this event, and I've still not vowed, yet. It's not for lack of trying, but I'm just a glutton for punishment when it comes to assembly. Really hoping to get my vow in during the coming week. That's not a vow for a vow, though.

I see, you vow this not being a vow for vow!

It must be vow then since this is what this thread is about!

What a sneaky way of expressing it… :happy.:

@ CaE:

Yes, well… salamanders would have been the easy way then. ^^

Black and white are the colours the most difficult not to let look just basecoated.

As for edgelining, I see it exactly like Major Nese.

Even if his blendings are already a bit extreme, they are the way to go to make black work.

A fluff explanation for letting the minis basecoated doesn’t let them look good. ;)

As for edgelining, I see it exactly like Major Nese.

Even if his blendings are already a bit extreme, they are the way to go to make black work.

A fluff explanation for letting the minis basecoated doesn’t let them look good. :wink:

My recipe for black blending is far from perfect, it just becomes too grey (blending from black to Celestia Grey) or too dark (black to Mechanicum Standard Grey). But there are ways of making black look dynamic, like this. For RG, the light should probably have a blue tint, to simulate typical night color balance, but I'll probably look into that after getting an airbrush, not before. Photoshop says: maybe

Edited by MajorNese

Eh. I'm not shooting to be one of those guys with WIP or Hall of Honour threads that everyone gushes over.

As long as it's painted to where I'm satisfied with the results I'm good with that.

That said, I'm going to try some highlights on my Tempests I vowed here.

And I'm pulling out all stops on the Fire Raptor when I go to paint it. It's about 70% assembled at this point.

Look, Claws actually painted something! 

My 2 Land Speeder Tempests, probably about 75% done at this point. Need a wash, and I'm going to take a stab at highlights on them. 

IMG 20170709 005628

I have the legs and torsos assembled for my assault squad. I'll finish them up after I see what my weapon options are in the Codex. Really want to do twin chainswords if I can. 

Update 2/10: Praetor

Shadow Warden Gherith Arendi, Commander of the Black Guard.

I 'borrowed with pride' extensively from this guy

Hidden Content

gerith Front

Hidden Content

Gerith back

Always been a fan of this Sicarius model, which sports just the right amount of bling for a RG commander i think. Just changed the shoulder pad and stuck brass etchings over the most obvious Ultra symbols.

Also tried a new black recipe (Abaddon Black with progressive 'The Fang' blue grey blend and pure 'The fang' edge highlights). Recommended.

Edited by Shrieker

Anyone ever see a Razorback with a Stormraven turret?

Cause this guy is doing it for vow 2.

I have a bunch of spare Stormraven parts because you basically get a complete one when you buy a Fire Raptor.

So I'm looking into what else I can use the spare parts to do.

I have a butt ton of spare ladcannons and 4 autocannons along with a few heavy bolters. Might try to cobble together a Predator kitbash to swap in and out with the Razorback.

A Rapier kitbash is a possibility as well. As are some Tarantulas made with leftover landing gear bits.

Waste nothing!

Edited by Claws and Effect