8th Ed Codex on the way

Charlo

Forge World Focus: Lucius

One of the most exciting features of the new Adeptus Mechanicus codex is rules for seven different forge worlds, allowing you to customise your collection more than ever before with powerful and thematic new abilities. This week, we’ll be previewing what the forge world rules mean for your army in our daily previews of Codex: Adeptus Mechanicus in advance of the pre-order this Saturday:

40k-AdmechFocus-Lucius-Banner2tz.jpg

The forge world of Lucius is renowned for Luciun, a unique alloy known for its durability. Naturally, the armies of Lucius are armed with war-plate and weapons made of Luciun, lending them considerable durability against small-arms fire. On the tabletop, this is represented by the forge world dogma The Solar Blessing:

40k-AdmechFocus-Lucius-Image1krzb-500x39

Being able to ignore AP -1 attacks helps your larger units resist armour-piercing firepower, reducing the impact of popular shooting weapons like heavy bolters and autocannons.

40k-AdmechFocus-Lucius-Image7hrbv-500x34
Best Units

40k-AdmechFocus-Lucius-Subheader1hsx.jpg

Kataphron Breachers are pretty durable, but Toughness 5 is only so much of a defence against massed shooting.

40k-AdmechFocus-Lucius-Image6yvc-500x273

Maintaining their 3+ save means your battle servitors will stay in the fight for much longer, while the unique Lucius stratagem, Legio Teleportarium, is perfect for delivering them into optimal combat range.

40k-AdmechFocus-Lucius-Image3ribd-500x29

40k-AdmechFocus-Lucius-Subheader2odz.jpg

Similarly, Kastelan Robots benefit from ignoring low-AP attacks for much the same reasons; as an added bonus, they can combine their firepower with the Kastelan Robots with the Elimination Volley Stratagem!

40k-AdmechFocus-Lucius-Image5kae-500x299
40k-AdmechFocus-Lucius-Image4ajt-500x253

If you want to field the heavy hitters of the Adeptus Mechanicus without having to worry about massed small arms fire, then Lucius is the forge world for you. Come back tomorrow, when we’ll be checking out Agripinaa, dauntless defenders from the Eye of Terror.

The Dogma is okay.. not great, but okay. It's not as good as All is Dust. I think the fact it only applies to -1 AP is very limiting whereas All is Dust reduces AP basically on everything that isn't Damage >1. So this is limited, but of some use. At least it's army wide!

It does look like if you love the Destroyers, and Kastelans, this might be a great choice for you.

So it only has to be "a Lucius unit". Man, this means that they have to be extremely careful with their wording when they tie in Knights, or when FW decides to finish up "Fires of Cyraxes".

I pretty sure Knights are intended. It says right there that it is adapted Titan tech.

That makes me think Knights won't have the FW Keyword or some similar restriction. I mean Cawl's aura around "Mars" Knights would be exceptional.

Take a look at Guilliman and say that again...

I think you should look at Guilliman.

He helps "Ultramarines" far more than imperium.

That makes me think Knights won't have the FW Keyword or some similar restriction. I mean Cawl's aura around "Mars" Knights would be exceptional.

So for clarity a Forgeworld is like a Chapter, right?

RG is fantastic with Ultra's, and RG is good with Imperium. Agreed?

Cawl is fantastic with Mars, and Cawl is (hopefully) good with Mechanicus (or equivalent).

I don't see how this has any bearing on it though. It's just speculation on my part that GW doesn't want teleporting Knights on the table top and one way to mitigate that would be exclude specific Forgeworld keywords from their entry.

This does open a whole new can of worms, and I don't want to see that happen. If Knights got a Forgeworld Keyword, it means Cawl + Knights are an insta-tournie army. I really hope it doesn't go that way personally.

Edited by Prot

Lucius must have one of Ursarkar E. Creed's relatives as a Magos since this could allow for some hilarious deployment shenanigans. Can you teleport whole units like Dragoons/Ironstriders if you wished it? 

Unsure how exactly they'll handle Knights. Maybe for sake of ease they'll all be Mechanicum indentured with the forge world names.

I'm more willing to say each FW will have a house that can be used, remaining battleforged, but will be less open to overt synergy.

I think Mars will be superior just by virtue of havig Cawl's re-roll bubble and two rolls on Canticles, which both can be modified by Cawl.

@ Prot - You may be right. IK will have the AdMech keyword for general synergy, but they will probably keep <Knight House> as keyword, as opposed to <Forge World>.

When we were talking earlier about the Metalica +1 or +2 to hit, some issues came up....

Some people said: You roll a 1, you are going to explode from Plasma overcharges.... even if you have the + modifier from Metalica.

Well I thought about that, and something occurred to me.... when I play people they often tell me this is how it works, but also I note that I've often fell victim to exploding from Supersonic flyers, or -1 to hit aura's.

So I'm confused now.

IF you tell me that even with a +2 to hit, and I roll a 1, that I would explode because I rolled a one....

THEN that means if I roll a 2, with a -1 to hit because I'm targeting a Supersonic Flyer, then I should not blow up.

This would indicate I've been taking the worst of both ends of this. I blow up on 1's (before adjustments) and I blow up on 2's (after adjustments). This doesn't seem right.

Does anyone know how this is supposed to work? (I thought the original wording from GW was specific to Aura's and calculating if you hit or missed).

So how is it then? Can my Skitarii Vanguard roll 1's with the Strategem in play (+1) and not worry about blowing up on over charge rolls?

When we were talking earlier about the Metalica +1 or +2 to hit, some issues came up....

Some people said: You roll a 1, you are going to explode from Plasma overcharges.... even if you have the + modifier from Metalica.

Well I thought about that, and something occurred to me.... when I play people they often tell me this is how it works, but also I note that I've often fell victim to exploding from Supersonic flyers, or -1 to hit aura's.

So I'm confused now.

IF you tell me that even with a +2 to hit, and I roll a 1, that I would explode because I rolled a one....

THEN that means if I roll a 2, with a -1 to hit because I'm targeting a Supersonic Flyer, then I should not blow up.

This would indicate I've been taking the worst of both ends of this. I blow up on 1's (before adjustments) and I blow up on 2's (after adjustments). This doesn't seem right.

Does anyone know how this is supposed to work? (I thought the original wording from GW was specific to Aura's and calculating if you hit or missed).

So how is it then? Can my Skitarii Vanguard roll 1's with the Strategem in play (+1) and not worry about blowing up on over charge rolls?

It is always determined if the model dies from an overheat after the modifiers are applied which occurs after re-rolls are completed. So if you have +1 to hit you can never get hot and conversely a -1 to hit will get hot on a 1 and a 2. This was a scenario GW presented in their preview of Nightlords who have a stratagem that allows them to -1 to hit on you in the shooting phase after the target has been declared, ie your squad of Hellblasters shooting at Nightlords they use it causing alot higher chance of death. 

This same application applies to things that trigger on 6+ or only on 6's. A -1 to hit from a powerfist will never trigger the additional attack for rolling a 6 that Chaos gets against Imperium, stuff with a +1 will trigger on a 5 or a 6.

I was waiting for lucius to get something aweful or useless and, well... this is not bad at all! I actually really like this kind of dogma, seeing as it effects pretty much everyone but electro priests or stupid servitors. should psalm and this should be good enough of a protection for turn 1 defense

Also, the deepstriking is nice but it makes me wish we had melta-guns or something as well. I suppose we have arc rifles but unless they fix them I do not think those would be good weapons to use on a drop. this does help with mobility as well.

also, hate to be negative but in all likely-hood the imperial knight is only going to have the admec keyword, not the forgeworld keyword, allowing us to take one but be unable to buff it.

So this strategem doesn't help with overcharged plasma. A one is still going to blow unless you're around a reroll of 1's aura.

Why? The rules state that a roll of 1 always fails regardless of modifiers, not that a roll of 1 is always a roll of 1 regardless of modifiers.

You're right. I have to correct myself on this one.

What made it feel so goofy to me Is that shooting at supersonic flyers make plasma blow up easier which just felt really weird.

I don't think anyone said that. Some people was just confused about the one always miss rule.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but assuming we can have allies from another forge world, couldn't we take Cawley anyway? All we lose out on is the rerolls (though you could just have him in a detachment with some on ages or something) and, if I'm reading it correctly, he still gets to modify caticles. Nothing suggests it's restricted to only his detachment.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but assuming we can have allies from another forge world, couldn't we take Cawley anyway? All we lose out on is the rerolls (though you could just have him in a detachment with some on ages or something) and, if I'm reading it correctly, he still gets to modify caticles. Nothing suggests it's restricted to only his detachment.

Well his 9 inch re roll of everything is the main attraction I think. The dual canticles can be had with any Mars Hq..?

Besides that would be a very HQ Heavy list. But I suppose if you really want two Canticles without taking a whole Mars army, it can be done.

Well his 9 inch re roll of everything is the main attraction I think. The dual canticles can be had with any Mars Hq..?

Well, what I was getting at was his ability to modify your random caticles roll while he stays parked in the back with some long ranged Mars units, and then have a detachment of lucius deep strike in key places. That way you can have options every turn for your deep strikers.

Yes, 9 inch rerolls is nice, but I don't think it's a good idea to keep everything inside that bubble the while game. In my experience turtling around Cawl can loose the game if you need objectives. Then again I've not played a wealth of 8th edition games, and am too poor to afford a switch to mostly robots and onagers at the moment. Besides, I really like my skitarii infantry.

Edit: perhaps it would be better worded as a Mars primary detachment with lucius allies for mobility.

Edited by Odds.043