8th Ed Codex on the way

Charlo

It makes no sense, since we can just bring those as allied...

No... We can't just bring them as allied because when we do that, we can't use them for our own units. So that kind of defeats the purpose of bringing them in the first place.

And as previously reiterated an ad mech transport makes more sense than an imperial standard one

Admech build literally every standard imperial vehicle. I know there is the mindset of the whole "the fluff says they walk everywhere" thing (which, as I've said before elsewhere, I'm convinced was just a convenient excuse so GW didn't have to worry about making new models for Admech any time soon) but rationally an army would need some means of rapid redeployment, and while the Admech I'm sure would make a more esoteric vehicle of sorts to fit this role, surely they would understand that since their already making a huge number of these (not to mention some of these vehicles, such as the land raider, are pinnacles of technology discovered by their own, extremely well known, tech priests) then perhaps they would conserve some time and effort by using the more readily available imperial options when their own special ones are otherwise unsuitable for the task or unavailable.

And I just want to toss this in, my reason for wanting transports: it has nothing to do with mobility. I've never played a game where getting to a place was the problem. However I have played many games where getting a combat effective force to a place before they become effectively useless was a considerable problem. Our units are really expensive for how fragile they are. And that isn't an exaggeration. All I want is something better than a free cover save to augment their durability. Transports would help with that, and make a reasonable amount of sense, though I would be ok if there was some defensive war gear as well

On a side note: please have skitarii alphas as HQs, or even a "skitarii command squad" hq like tempestus has. That would be really cool.

In "cybernetica" the skitarii of Mars use valkyries to deploy into buildings, if memory serves. In the "Of Mars" trilogy, the Skitarii and Secutor Magi use arcane variants of the Rhino chassis. the Dark Mechanicum in "Tech priest" use Triaros transports, while the loyalists make a beachhead around huge drop ships, supported by avenger strike fighters. All this is from memory, so I might be misremembering some things, but it shows examples of how the Skitarii and other Mechanicus elements would deploy or utilize transports in the established fluff.

In "cybernetica" the skitarii of Mars use valkyries to deploy into buildings, if memory serves. In the "Of Mars" trilogy, the Skitarii and Secutor Magi use arcane variants of the Rhino chassis. the Dark Mechanicum in "Tech priest" use Triaros transports, while the loyalists make a beachhead around huge drop ships, supported by avenger strike fighters. All this is from memory, so I might be misremembering some things, but it shows examples of how the Skitarii and other Mechanicus elements would deploy or utilize transports in the established fluff.

Considering how the novel releases since the model releases are rather obvious product placement with little connections to the established fluff, I'd prefer looking at the Mars trilogy and older stuff. A great source is the first Word Bearer novel, where most of the current models are coined after. Worthless thrall armies march ahead, worthy units like protectors (breachers) use vehicles (up to a Gorgon), kataphractoi (destroyers) are already tracked. Ballisterarii (artillery) use tanks mainly. Centerpiece of the army is one ordinatus majoris, while ordinatus minoris serve in the dozens as main line units. All supported by forge crawlers, who convert prisoners to thralls whenever a higher number is requested, and recycle the battlefield remains of man and machine. Everything not designed as chaff has a way of moving faster, either being tracked themselves, or being transported in something that has tracks/legs.

I'm very excited about the release. I just have to believe that it's in GW's best interest to see right by AdMech.

I don't anticipate new units aside from HQ but that being said I believe aside from obvious point adjustments that the strategums and Forgeworld rules make all the difference everyone is hoping for.

I'd love to see some advanced deployment/movement introduced to the army.

I also think the infantry need some love. I'd rather see rangers and vanguard buffed rather than made cheaper. They don't feel that good comparatively, considering they are enhanced cyborg warriors. A devourer cannon on a termagant is higher strength than the rad carbine with identical shots and range and still cheaper. I think a +1 strength to the rad carbine and a -1 AP on rangers galvanic rifle at the current point costs would make them perform better, and feel a little more "advanced tech" which would fit the Ad Mech nicely.

Just my thoughts though, I only started 40k with 8th Ed so not much experience in the game and none of the army pre-8th.

Edited by yellabelly

So rules potential taken from the rumour section of bnc.

So, I just managed to sneak a peak at the AdMech codex at one of my game stores. They've reused the  ing Raven Guard/Alpha Legion trait again.

-1 to hit infantry units outside of 12"

It's the trait for Stygies.

Metallica gets a 6+ FNP. Mars rolls two dice for canticles (and I think they get to use both results as well though I may be remembering wrong. The second result might only apply to infantry)

Can't remember the rest. Techpriests (both the Dominus and Enginseer) can repair Knights now as well.

But they only repair 1 wound on a successful master of machines, as opposed to 1d3

So rules potential taken from the rumour section of bnc.

So, I just managed to sneak a peak at the AdMech codex at one of my game stores. They've reused the  ing Raven Guard/Alpha Legion trait again.

-1 to hit infantry units outside of 12"

It's the trait for Stygies.

Metallica gets a 6+ FNP. Mars rolls two dice for canticles (and I think they get to use both results as well though I may be remembering wrong. The second result might only apply to infantry)

Can't remember the rest. Techpriests (both the Dominus and Enginseer) can repair Knights now as well.

But they only repair 1 wound on a successful master of machines, as opposed to 1d3

Well if that's true, it looks like I'll be repainting my Metalica dude to Mars pattern. FnP 6+ (which I'id guess applies to infantry only). Having the use of multiple Canticles vs a small chance of saving a wound is a pretty big difference.

Unless they have Cawl give different bonuses to other Forgeworlds I have a hard time believing we'll see other Forgeworlds on the table in competitive play, regardless of paint jobs.

I have my own Forgeworld and Cawl is painted in those colours but fluffier players might balk at doing this.

Unless they have Cawl give different bonuses to other Forgeworlds I have a hard time believing we'll see other Forgeworlds on the table in competitive play, regardless of paint jobs.

I have my own Forgeworld and Cawl is painted in those colours but fluffier players might balk at doing this.

though it will cost like 3 CP minimum i'm hoping we have a strategem for a chaptermaster like thing in our book... make one dominus an archmagos and such. or we pay points the old fashion way, but the stragegum stuff seems more likely.

Hell, it would be good on naked 10man vanguard. mortal wounds on top of D2? yes please! very much yes please!

I was thinking about 10 Infiltrators, Benediction of Omnissiah and this Stratagem... 40+ hits in the back, every 6 a mortal one in addition. Cool stuff.

Snipers too, if you're feeling snipey

Plus, it's cheap enough for you to do it twice even if your doing a spearhead detachment with cawl. That kind of firepower could be worth a lot more than 4 re-rolls!

Now let's see if vanguard got cheaper in order for us to run this all in house... also, it's only for mars so I'm kinda sad about that.

So I'm not negative on this reveal. I think it's good.

As I mentioned in the main thread I'm 'lucky' I suppose in that I'm just getting serious about the army so I don't have a pre-painted army like some of you guys... I can easily change. Plus my Metalica scheme is looking.... I dunno if I like it. lol (more WIPs to come in my thread)

On a side note, Cawl is kind of looked at with mixed response from Mars. I'm not sure why he would be locked into just one of the Forgeworlds???

So I'm not negative on this reveal. I think it's good.

As I mentioned in the main thread I'm 'lucky' I suppose in that I'm just getting serious about the army so I don't have a pre-painted army like some of you guys... I can easily change. Plus my Metalica scheme is looking.... I dunno if I like it. lol (more WIPs to come in my thread)

On a side note, Cawl is kind of looked at with mixed response from Mars. I'm not sure why he would be locked into just one of the Forgeworlds???

He operates and has all his secret bases on Mars I guess. He's not about to go an share his tech with another forge willy nilly I bet.