8th Ed Codex on the way

Charlo

Welp... Metalica Article link: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/09/13/forge-world-focus-metalica-sep13gw-homepage-post-4/

Forge World Focus: Metalica

One of the most exciting features of the new Adeptus Mechanicus codex is rules for seven different forge worlds, allowing you to customise your collection more than ever before with powerful and thematic new abilities. This week, we’ll be previewing what the forge world rules mean for your army in our daily previews of Codex: Adeptus Mechanicus in advance of the pre-order this Saturday:

40k-AdmechFocus-Metalica-Banner5jdw.jpg

When you think of the Adeptus Mechanicus, mobility might not be the first word that comes to mind – yet the forces of Metalica make for a mobile force, capable of advancing rapidly while suppressing the foe with a withering hail of fire.

Metalica’s forge world dogma is Relentless March:

40k-AdmechFocus-Metalica-Image1jcdqc-499

This is a versatile dogma that is superb for the line infantry of the Adeptus Mechanicus, allowing your Skitarii Vanguard and Skitarii Rangers to quickly close in on the optimum firing range for their weapons.

40k-AdmechFocus-Metalica-Image5krz-500x2
Best Units

40k-AdmechFocus-Metalica-Subheader1lr.jpAs we’ve said above, Skitarii Rangers benefit from being able to advance and use their rapid fire weapons. Throw in the Protector Doctrina Imperative and you’ll all but mitigate your reduced accuracy for doing so!

40k-AdmechFocus-Metalica-Image3lrbf-500x

40k-AdmechFocus-Metalica-Subheader2qkv.j

The Tech-Priest Dominus is a great leader for the Metalica army. As well as allowing you to take advantage of the powerful Ordered Efficiency Warlord Trait, the Adamantine Arm adds some much-needed power in melee and has the potential to catch enemy combat characters off guard!

40k-AdmechFocus-Metalica-Image4ebd-500x3
40k-AdmechFocus-Metalica-Image2enc-500x1

Metalica is the army for you if you want to keep your forces mobile while maintaining a steady fusillade of firepower. Come back tomorrow when we’ll be checking out Lucius, the indomitable armoursmiths of the Adeptus Mechanicus.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I remember when this Chapter Tactic came out for Black Legion how disappointed everyone was there. And that's an army that can handle CC. I'm just being honest... there are 1-2 armies I can see using this against (which will probably overwhelm me with firepower anyway) Astra, and perhaps T'au.

The hidden nerf: Rapid Fire is lost from those weapons when advancing so you are only getting a base shot at a certain distance.

I personally don't get the 'one swing' arm. Sure it's a good swing, but one? In Admech I see the most desirable relics being stuff that is a force multiplier. Not a space marine one use fist kind of thing you would put on a captain.

Let's be honest if this army is going into Zerkers, Gaunts, Orks, etc you are done. If your opponent has any CP's. you're going to get interrupted. You'll have one CC to get that fist in, then you're done. So you can save the Tech-Priest (by going first) and let his squad die. Or sac the Priest and let the squad live long enough to get more vanilla attacks in. This is the way assault has been flowing for me in 8th.

The good news? This does help in Maelstrom and Tournament type games (which is predominately what I play). It also gives me a reason to use Skitarii because I do like them. Also I can see 'advancing' far away from some stuff but today's assault armies are bloody fast, there's no need to get closer, and they typically take two turns to cover the table. (there's often no where to retreat).

The bad news? Cawl confirmed to help Mars only. The CP Strategem for hitting better on Skitarii? I just cannot fathom blowing precious CPs on Skitarii in this way. Typically I save them for D rolls against Super heavies or what not. We'll see if that changes.

Mars still really seems to be heads and shoulders above the rest so far. Cawl alone is reason enough just for re-rolls (on your heavy hitters). GW facebook will not confirm if there is a 'Chapter Master' type Strategem you can use three points on. To be honest, I'm not sure I'd use it. Cawl's base size and staying power really are good. The Ultramarines I play often don't use that upgrade because the extra points just to go full Chapter Master are much better spent.

Edited by Prot

The bad news? Cawl confirmed to help Mars only. The CP Strategem for hitting better on Skitarii? I just cannot fathom blowing precious CPs on Skitarii in this way. Typically I save them for D rolls against Super heavies or what not. We'll see if that changes.

Overcharging plasma calivers with no gets hot risk for 1 CP point (after being able to advance into range) is pretty nice on vanguard.

With a data tether,  you are essentially autohitting with everything from that one squad for the cost of 1CP.

Could be pretty nice on the dudes with fletchette blasters...or using it on a skyfire array onager. so everyting hits on 2+...or just use on a damaged onager later on in the game.

I think key to this is going to be seeing if some of the points costs have changed...im really hoping vanguard/rangers have had a slight decrease.

Love how they tried to make the 'advance' rule sound good on rangers though...they already have a 30" weapon? 

Edited by DanPesci

Overcharging plasma calivers with no gets hot risk (after being able to advance into range) is pretty nice on vanguard.

With a data tether,  you are essentially autohitting with everything from that one squad for the cost of 1CP, could be pretty nice (vanguard..or the dudes with fletchette blasters?)

Love how they tried to make the 'advance' rule sound good on rangers though...they already have a 30" weapon? 

This is very true. Overcharging Plasma will be 'better'. However a lot of stuff that I see on the other side of the table is reducing WS. Sometimes in layers (Traits + Psychic, etc). So I think I would always take a Data Tether to be safe!

The Ranger thing I'm at a loss for.... I'm not a huge fan of them at their current cost... but I see the greatest advantage of the Metalica Dogma being Skitarii Vanguard???

The thing I'm really worried about in those squads is... well using a CP means I'm going to have more than 5 models in it. Like I said I find CP's harder to make abundant with AM. But using one in this way almost presses me to make 10 man squads. The fear here is moral. They die kind of easily.... losing a few more to moral makes this difficult to pull off.

Now if I had Cawl rolling twice on Canticles for the precious Shroud Psalm.... that might help mitigate that a bit.

Also the way they make Rangers sound like they may actually benefit from this.... perhaps there's a tweak to some weaponry in the new Codex?

Edited by Prot

Cawl let's you reroll any shooting attacks, not just misses. So you can reroll pre-modifier hits too. Not sure if that's been FAQ'd as poor wording on the rule, or if it was intentional. Those re rolls are huge for Kastelans although I know they are CM.

The ability to run two canticles at once is pretty good in my opinion. It allows quite a few neat tricks. For example re roll 1s on some vanguard before charging an enemy with machine might granting +1 strength. Suddenly they can open up a good amount of shots and then charge wounding on 2s against standard T3 infantry.

Put the doctrine on an Onager and blast away. Icarus hitting on 2+ with re-roll? Great.

Almost makes me want units of Ironstrider to, you could move into fire position and still hit on a 2+. 

We will see about the Enginseer I guess. Have several models that I never used.

I can't say that I understand any of what's being discussed, since I JUST bought a starter kit and I've never played a game of 40K in my life, but I AM excited that the army I chose is getting a new book!  (I bought the kit before I heard about the book.)  I'm hoping it'll be a big help for the Skitarii and some of you "Veteran" players can walk me through it.

(I've been an 8th Edition Fantasy player for around a decade, so I understand some aspects of the mechanic, but that's it.)

The +2 to hit also lets your snipers mortal wound on a 4+! Thats pretty nice.

Whoa. That completely skipped my attention. Nice catch. Let's hope the rule is still there.

I was thinking that some of my issues with the recent reveal is there is such a slant on Skitarii which I did not foresee and it seems to leave out advantages for the rest of the army.... like all the bots for example.

I wonder if what this amounts to is you will be using pure Skitarii for troop choices and just dumping Destroyers?

Edited by Prot

The +2 to hit also lets your snipers mortal wound on a 4+! Thats pretty nice.

the mortal wounds happen on a wound roll, not hit. It's a cool idea, but it wouldn't work like that unfortunatly.

I'm excited to see what it is tommorow too. never thought of lucius to be armor smiths, but I am pretty hopeful that it's good. not gonna speculate a day away from this though.

Could be pretty nice on the dudes with fletchette blasters...or using it on a skyfire array onager. so everyting hits on 2+...or just use on a damaged onager later on in the game.

They don't have data tethers... I'm not sure how they're going to get this to work, including the WS bonus version. Will that be dependent on data tether as well, or need infoskull or digital weapons?

I want to be able to have my vanguard fight in CC again with 2+ to hit. Can't wait

the 40k facebook was noncommittal about me asking if skitarii had HQs now: they said 'All will be revealed over the course of this week!'

Promising, I guess.

Also I'm not sure that +1 bonuses to rolls will mitigate gets hot?

And oh boy I bet the transuranic arquebus is still an immovable object. Doesn't sound like it has much synergy with anything yet.

I hope ironstriders get a 'snipe character' stratagem, and dragoons get an outflank stratagem, to mirror their cavalry formation from 7th

Also I'm not sure that +1 bonuses to rolls will mitigate gets hot?

I think that the mortal wound thing happpens after modifiers, therefore rolling a 1 would be a failure as per the FAQ but since it is still not a 1 after modifiers it would not get hot?

So this strategem doesn't help with overcharged plasma. A one is still going to blow unless you're around a reroll of 1's aura.

It looks like most of the positive angles regarding Metalica have been debunked.

Also don't forget the retreat one has to happen within 6" of your warlord.

So far I'm leaning Mars. I don't see anything getting close to what they can accomplish with basic rules and Cawl. It's really too bad. I don't really get the hype behind Gaia.

We're not talking about an assault army here. These retreat special rules won't have a benefit if your warlord isn't around and you can't get away. Plus stuff like Orks and World Eaters won't leave you with anything. I know when I play against a120 Ork army, a 30 man mob with extra attacks and built in Furious Charge will annihilate anything short of T7 and 10 wounds. I say this from experience. I've lost 8 Zerkers without a swing.

Not to mention I think the Nid dex is around the corner.

For me if I have my troops in CC I'm in trouble. I'm not licking my chops dying to drop a strategem. This army is strongly built around making sure they don't reach you. I really don't think the angle should be winning that close combat. At T3 there won't be anything left.

Also please note the Protector Doctrina is shooting phase only.

Edited by Prot

Apparently Lucius has a stratagem to let you teleport in some ad mech units rather than deploying.

I hope this isn't the only form of outflank that the Skitarii get access to.

Would be pretty powerful with 20 man squads of corpuscarii or 6 dragoons squad.

I reckon Lucius will get a flat armour bonus or similar. Ignore the first -1 ap modifier, so enemies' ap2 becomes ap1 and so on? Or invulns improved by 1?

I think being able to outflank/deep strike units like Raven Guard stratagem might at least give people pause for thought rather than going auto mars.

I'm going to guess Lucius is a bit of a copy and paste of ravenguard with -1 to hit over 12" away, plus the infiltrate/deep strike thing. 

I think being able to outflank/deep strike units like Raven Guard stratagem might at least give people pause for thought rather than going auto mars.

I'm going to guess Lucius is a bit of a copy and paste of ravenguard with -1 to hit over 12" away, plus the infiltrate/deep strike thing. 

you know, i was thinking maybe something like death: add 1 to armor save rolls as long as it has an ap of - or -1. something to show how it's better armor rather than sneaky beakies

I figure an extra FNP save for Lucius or more amour shenanigans. Also wow I know it was mentioned in the speculation thread (woot on semi calling Graia) a while back when we first heard about Dogma's but Lucius being able to teleport into battle is pretty sweet, thought that would have only applied to titans but :censored: it :biggrin.: