8th Ed Codex on the way

Charlo

Very excited about this. Need to work hard to get more command points because my 3 kastelan robots will wreck face with "Wrath of Mars"

Here's the text...

40k-AdmechFocus-Mars-Image7txm.jpg

Do we think this only applies to ONE of the robots shooting attacks, all all made in that shooting phase?

I don't think Cawl shares his tech with anyone. What I'm saying is I would think from recent novels and stories is Cawl is an outsider, and he has tweaked some stuff that Mars flat out isn't cool with.

Not to mention the 'Cawl Inferior' has been trying to push Guilliman into placing him at the top of the food chain. Thankfully Guilliman hasn't/ can't do this as it would have catastrophic results in the relationship between Terra and Mars. At least that's what is strongly indicated in the stories surrounding GS3 and Dark Imperium.

There's other stuff to to indicate he seems to work alone a lot or with whomever he pleases. But this is way off topic. I only bring it up as a side note because it does support Cawl working with whichever Forgeworld supports his endeavours at a particular given time.

I'm very curious how the other Forgeworlds pan out. I mean there's only so much you can diversify in a shooty army that basically makes its money on one phase of the game.

Edited by Prot

Very excited about this. Need to work hard to get more command points because my 3 kastelan robots will wreck face with "Wrath of Mars"

Here's the text...

Do we think this only applies to ONE of the robots shooting attacks, all all made in that shooting phase?

Well to my mind, RAW would cover both rounds of shooting from the Kastelans. It does say "before a unit attacks in the shooting phase", rather than "before a unit makes a shooting attack". That implies that it's for the entire phase and not a single round of shooting.

Here's the text...

Well to my mind, RAW would cover both rounds of shooting from the Kastelans. It does say "before a unit attacks in the shooting phase", rather than "before a unit makes a shooting attack". That implies that it's for the entire phase and not a single round of shooting.

Yeah, that's what immediately made me ask.  I'm not a rules bending powergamer type, but it jumped out as being immediately a bit vague. I'd open a discussion about it on Dakka YMDC, but maybe the Kastelan entry in the Codex will be changed as well.  

I think the only way you're going to get a firm answer on the application of the Strategem is by asking the Facebook. I would highly recommend asking them. The more voices that ask the question (in my experience) get an answer.

I've thought about it and this could go both ways, but it just isn't specific enough.

*IF* the Wrath of Mars stipulated "For the Shooting Phase" or conversely "A Single Shooting Attack". But this is a bit ambiguous. Is double firing Kastelans counted as a single action or two actions? I'm going to guess they are going to take the conservative approach and it will only apply once.

The only true hint I have for this is the FAQ on the Ork Stompa which has a weapon that can shoot multiple times. Since the FAQ GW claimed the Stompa did not have to declare targets since each attempt to fire counted as a separate instance. Take that for what it's worth. :)

GRAIA IS UP!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/09/12/forge-world-focus-graia-sep-12gw-homepage-post-4/

And a bit of a question from me... 

So I've asked a rules question on the FB page and they can't answer...

But due to the wording REFUSAL TO YIELD is a bit weird...

40k-AdmechFocus-Graia-Image2krc-444x500.

So you ignore "the wound that slew" them on a 6.

Does this mean no matter how much damage a model takes, on a roll of a 6 it will survive?

This would mean that your Syndronian Dragoon could fail 8 saves for 8 damage, as it has 6 wounds it would be slain. But you roll for RTY and get a 6, meaning "the wound that slew" the model is ignored... But what about the remaining 7th and 8th wounds?

I suppose in practice they are discarded anyway before you roll, just like any other damage without a spill-over mechanic (Plague Flails etc)

It is not worded the same as DR, which you roll for each damage you take and ignore a single point on a 5+, so it does indeed seem very different.

GRAIA IS UP!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/09/12/forge-world-focus-graia-sep-12gw-homepage-post-4/

And a bit of a question from me... 

So I've asked a rules question on the FB page and they can't answer...

But due to the wording REFUSAL TO YIELD is a bit weird...

40k-AdmechFocus-Graia-Image2krc-444x500.

So you ignore "the wound that slew" them on a 6.

Does this mean no matter how much damage a model takes, on a roll of a 6 it will survive?

This would mean that your Syndronian Dragoon could fail 8 saves for 8 damage, as it has 6 wounds it would be slain. But you roll for RTY and get a 6, meaning "the wound that slew" the model is ignored... But what about the remaining 7th and 8th wounds?

I suppose in practice they are discarded anyway before you roll, just like any other damage without a spill-over mechanic (Plague Flails etc)

It is not worded the same as DR, which you roll for each damage you take and ignore a single point on a 5+, so it does indeed seem very different.

Well can a Sydonian Dragoon actually take a 'dogma' though? Considering how "Chapter Tactics" work, I really don't know (We do know Chapter tactics apply only to infantry and dreadnoughts).

But I agree the 'additonal wounds' seem to be ignored! I mean after you kill something... it's dead. The wounds are a waste. The only time I can think of where this is not the case is with Mortal Wounds.

So you lose 3 infantry to a Heavy Bolter. Now you get essentially 3 shots at a 6+ FnP.

But let's say you lost your... Datasmith to a Lascannon. You only had one wound left, and the lascannon wounds, and deals 6 Damage. I think the way this is worded is you would roll a 6+ and if successful he ignores it. This in essence is better than FnP ,but it wouldn't be nearly as adjustable as Deathguard fnp with special characters re-rolling and high toughness.

That's my initial take but so far we have 2 big questions coming from 2 new reveals! Get on that Facebook page guys! :wink:

Metalica Tomorrow!

Edited by Prot

Well, unless I have missed some key element to list building, or they change something regarding keywords and canticles in the codex, then we are being given completely free rein to mix and match Forgeworld Dogmas within the same army and even within detachments. 

Throw Cawl in alongside your Kastelans and Dunecrawlers with the Mars forgeworld. Lovely.

Your aggressive infantry units and objective takers? Graia thank you very much. 

You'll lose out on Aura effects from Cawl or Tech Priests if the forgeworld doesn't match. But master of machines works on the Adeptus Mechanicus keyword as do Canticles which need all units in the detachment to be Ad Mech, but not of the same Forgeworld. So with another 5 Forgeworlds to be revealed, as things stand you can pick and choose on a unit by unit basis which Forgeworld offers the best benefit. Not very fluffy maybe, but my army is all painted in their own colour scheme, and I don't really care if they have a different keyword that doesn't exist beyond being written on my army list.

I think the shooting while in, or into close combat is perhaps one of my favorite reveals so far. To be honest I've been wondering how the heck I'm going to deal with all these massive model count armies that excel in close combat, because really if you're predominantly a shooting army, (in my experience) you can't retreat. This gives you a fighting chance.... providing you have the 2 points to interrupt because with the troops Admech has a lot is going to simply disappear.

The ability to shoot while locked in combat will mostly benefit vehicles and maybe destroyers as I really don't see anything else surviving long enough to make the most of it. Keeping flamers on destroyers and kataphrons will make these units a real pain to deal with. It might be hilarious on a unit of 20 corpuscarii priests.

Once clarified, I think the Graia rules can be pretty solid. Being able to ignore being slain also applies to over heating plasma, and models disembarking a wrecked transport. Once FW puts out that campaign, the latter will actually be relevant.

The ability to shoot while locked in combat will mostly benefit vehicles and maybe destroyers as I really don't see anything else surviving long enough to make the most of it. Keeping flamers on destroyers and kataphrons will make these units a real pain to deal with. It might be hilarious on a unit of 20 corpuscarii priests.

Once clarified, I think the Graia rules can be pretty solid. Being able to ignore being slain also applies to over heating plasma, and models disembarking a wrecked transport. Once FW puts out that campaign, the latter will actually be relevant.

Corpuscarii priests have identical shooting and fighting profiles. This amounts to attacking twice, but early xD

Corpuscarii priests have identical shooting and fighting profiles. This amounts to attacking twice, but early xD

Not quite. They have three shots that hit on threes, but only two punches that hit on fours. An extra round of shooting is much better than more punching. Plus the enemy can't hit you back in the shooting phase.

If you believe you will compete with armies that got 14+ command points with stratagems costing 3 cp in ad mech you will be really disapointed. And the engiseer spam for 52 points with vanguard 50/ 5 bare bones is a joke.

Fireworks once more so far. Mars with Robots Cawl got buffed with mortals maybe priests. But with out the real issue of cheap hq or cheap soldiers being even touched half the exitment. Sorry but .. wish for

1) datasmith as hq. Priest as command squads!!

2) a unit can advance and charge once instead of shooting.

3) canticle fall back and charge this turn.

4) alphas as hq

5) when taken vang or rangers unit of 10 reduce cost.

6) add buff auras on melee for tech priest as they are.

7) any option for changing setup weapons canticles buffs whaever for units already in use

Or something like that or cry for taking ig brigades again

They stated in the Facebook discussion that engineers were now HQs. Hope we can ask if skitarii are playable solo now like they used to be, as that would indicate a skitarii HQ

what we finally got them together and now we are about to cry that we want them solo?

Edited by Tiger9gamer

Some people like playing all scout armies. Does that mean sm scouts should have a different codex? Being able to play multiple different themed lists makes playing the faction more fun.

At least SM scouts have a HQ with the same keyword as them.

The important thing about so skitarii is that they used to be a thing and had distinctive fluff describing their use as supplements or as the entire force.the whole tech priest in orbit thing. It's not playable anymore.

And Skitarii have the Skitarii keyword. Keyword indicates synergy or stratagem, but they're only allowed in keyword only detachment, typically. If all the cool skitarii things still aren't back by this book then it'll be very sad. Doctrinas, skitarii relics, scout- they're all slitarii specific and we may never see thek again.

My response was in favor of your ideas Lancer. Lately admech feels very stale due to our only effective units are kastellans and onagers. We could definitely use a lot of our old rules back. Im hoping since the grey knights got a conversion inspired HQ unit that we will get an Alpha in a similar manner. What is really annoying is that the parts are right there in the kit. There is a set of fancy Alpha heads in the kit and one is clearly fancier than the rest.

Metalica up.

Doctrina Imperatives are back as stratagems.

Metalica look good, but still not enough to equal having Cawl imo.

IMO mars looks like the least interesting forge world. Cawl doesn't fix that.

Doctrinas are exactly what I wanted but I expected them to be locked to skitarii only detachtments. The +2 will make cognis usable rather than useless, and reroll 1s are more important than ever. Reroll misses according to faq are before modifiers so cawl is crap with skitarii