Oh, that moritat is brilliant. Love the pose and execution you've got there. I also need to get my hands on another one of those warpsmith heads. It looks perfect for such a warrior. I also love the use of the gattling gun weapon's back pack feeding the bolt pistol. Man, I cannot get over how awesome all the bits and everything used make such a great looking moritat.

The primus medicae is also looking off to a great start. I even loved how you scored and carved the chevrons onto the shoulder plate!

Spent this evening dicking around with some guitar wire, I was lucky enough to get some old ones free from a local music store. Here’s an update on my plastic contemptor:

AwKqyEu.jpg

Once the cables are done I’ll be ready to start adding armour plating using plasticard and green stuff. Hopefully I can emulate something similar to the FW model but not exactly the same.

Oh, I love that tweaked Contemptor torso! Excellent work! Have you thought of maybe adding some kind of heraldic shield in the middle, below the head and between the cables? That could be the perfect location to put some kind of IW iconography and would add a bit of IV legion flair. Right now, the Contemptor could also belong to the Iron Hands, so I think some kind of slightly medieval-ish element would really put it more firmly into Iron Warriors territory.

So today I got a small bitz order I’ve been waiting to get my hands on for a while that allowed me to progress on the Siege Breaker I posted earlier in the thread. I’m almost ready to call him finished, all I’m missing is a small cyclone-esque missile pod to mount on this guy’s carapace - this will serve as the representation of his three phosphex bombs. I’m also gonna do a little reposing on the direction his torso faces.

vcGOGz0.jpg

UOxoAb2.jpg

Nice work! I'm looking forward to seeing how the Primus Medicae turns out :tu:

Oh, that moritat is brilliant. Love the pose and execution you've got there. I also need to get my hands on another one of those warpsmith heads. It looks perfect for such a warrior. I also love the use of the gattling gun weapon's back pack feeding the bolt pistol. Man, I cannot get over how awesome all the bits and everything used make such a great looking moritat.

The primus medicae is also looking off to a great start. I even loved how you scored and carved the chevrons onto the shoulder plate!

Cheers guys! Probably gonna have the Medicae on the back burner for now, as this post illustrates I’m up to my eyes in different consul types!

The Indomitus head looks cracking in the Contemptor torso, I might have to steal that idea! Cabling's working well also.

Oh, I love that tweaked Contemptor torso! Excellent work! Have you thought of maybe adding some kind of heraldic shield in the middle, below the head and between the cables? That could be the perfect location to put some kind of IW iconography and would add a bit of IV legion flair. Right now, the Contemptor could also belong to the Iron Hands, so I think some kind of slightly medieval-ish element would really put it more firmly into Iron Warriors territory.

Thanks fellas! It is indeed an indomitus head modified with the grille from an Aquila helmet.

@Kraut - I was actually planning on adding some ablative armour plating between the two pipe-feeds, so not too dissimilar to what you’re suggesting! It’ll either be studded a la the FW IW contemptor or it’ll have a big iron skull on it, I’ll try both and decide which I prefer! This is still a super early WIP, I plan on a really suped out torso covered in armour plating etc so it looks like it could be the same pattern as the official iron warriors dread.

Edited by k0nahrik

• 4 months later...

Hey all,

Phew! It’s been a while since I visited this thread. Small update just to show work still continues on the IVth legion.

lHsrduZ.jpg

FvdpCnK.jpg

Moritat conversion is now totally finished and ready for paint. Connected turbines to power pack and acquired a second belt for the other bolt pistol. Painting shall commence shortly!

RFQFuHQ.jpg

Here’s a quick pic to show what’s happening with the Contemptor. I was unhappy with the symmetry of the old cabling so I tore it out and started again. This is the result.

Let me know what you think! Cheers

The moritat looks great. You've got me thinking about getting some ashen circle and DA bits to make some assault marines...

I also liked your previous work for the dreads cabling but interested in seeing where you go with him now!

• 3 weeks later...

The moritat looks great. You've got me thinking about getting some ashen circle and DA bits to make some assault marines...

I also liked your previous work for the dreads cabling but interested in seeing where you go with him now!

The Moritat looks really cracking, I was a big fan of the Contemptor, so it's a shame to see it restarted; looks like you're heading in a good direction with it though.

Cheers guys! WRT the contemptor, very little has actually changed, beyond the old cables getting ripped out because they were wonky. Plan is to restore them pretty close to how they were!

So today I did a tiny bit of work on my Moritat, after realising I’d forgotten to give him rad-grenades per his rules

A deceptively simple looking, very fiddly conversion or two later brings me this:

fXUPh36.jpg

qfba1vB.jpg

(Low quality photos, however, enough to do the job in this case)

Recently I’ve been preoccupied with my ‘random’ projects thread, I plan to paint this guy up when I finish work on my dark apostle over there.

As always C&C are welcome and appreciated, I’d love to hear everyone’s thoughts. Ta guys!

• 2 months later...

Hey all,

Been a while since I updated this thread - have spent most of my hobby time focused on my Fifteen fangs warband for Kill Team.

But today I’ve got something major for this thread -

8nIvD60.jpg

I can now proudly say I own Perturabo. As you can see, I’ve given him a new base - while his stock downed imperial knight is very cool, it’s also absurdly large, dwarfing him and making him feel almost small. I’ve endeavoured to fix this by placing him on an ordinary 40mm base featuring the wreckage of a downed sentinel. This places him on the same level as the rest of my army, which does a good job of showcasing just how huge he is compared to an ordinary space marine or even terminator.

That’s all for today, I’m really excited to paint him. I have a fairly large backlog of Iron Warriors to finish up - a whole veterans squad that I’ve painted but not photographed as well as a squad of tyrant siege terminators, the moritat and the siege breaker. Hoping to dedicate at least a little bit of time to them this year - one of my Hobby Resolutions is to reach 2000 PTS of painted Iron Warriors by the end of the year.

So hopefully I’ll be updating more soon! Let me know your thoughts WRT Perturabo.

• 3 months later...

Hey all!

Been a while since I’ve done any work on my iron warriors, so no updates on the painting front.

However, the other day I impulsively (and I confess after a cheeky visit to the local) got my hands on the Death Guard contemptor, and when it arrived I set about doing some light conversion work.

UFlgOqQ.jpg

J5aGNhs.jpg

Hopefully my skills with posing the contemptor have improved! LMK what you think, cheers for looking!

• 9 months later...

Nice pose, the Contemptor heavy bolter is such a good looking bit of kit.

I second the "nice pose," but a Dreadnought's size should allow him to fit a QUAD heavy bolter on each arm, so why doesn't Games Workshop make that an option?

Cheers for the comments guys! As an iron warriors player I am inclined to agree - four guns better than two guns, more dakka, etc,

Anyway, long time no post! I basically stepped away from the hobby for like 6 months, to let the ol’ batteries recharge. I was getting pretty burned out, and spending more than a sensible amount on kits I wasn’t even getting around to painting. But now I’m back! I finally picked up my minis and dusted them off around the beginning of this year and have been slowly working on them again.

In one of my last posts, I was showing off my modifications to the plastic contemptor kit from Betrayal at Calth. I’ve come a long way since then:

YleYbna.jpg

Most notable change is probably all the plating on the torso. I’ve also swapped out the head - after realising that the old one’s bionic eye was too big to allow the contemptor to turn his neck. I also attached the legs and did a little work on the leg detailing too.

I‘ve been using a hell of a lot of recycled materials on this guy. So far I’ve used the inside tube from a ballpoint pen, plastic stirrers, clothes tags, guitar wire, old earphones, and the cardboard ‘sleeves’ you get with hot drinks too. It’s actually pretty rewarding figuring out different ways to use all the items.

He’ll be finished pretty soon - I’m not totally happy with the torso yet, I need to cop a few more of the hot drinks stirrers to finish and I’m also waiting on a few small parts for detailing purposes.

I also visited WHW about a week back, and i had the chance to pick up the WHW exclusive siege breaker while I was there!

9QevHFh.jpg

As I already have a very customised siege breaker, I’ve converted him into a warmonger. Pretty simple, just using bits from the legion praetors, although removing that combi-volkite and replacing it with the paragon blade was certainly a little bit fiddly.

Anyway, let me know what you think! Hopefully I’ll be back sooner rather than later with updates, until then, cheers for reading lads ^_^

The Warmonger looks cracking, substituting the volkite for the sword changes the stance and feel of the model more than I would have thought. Rather heroic and noble for a member of the IVth, I'd say, though I suppose they weren't all bitter dullards. Inspired use of the MKIII power pack on the Contemptor, too.

Oh hey, I can finally comment on this thread without feeling like a Necromancer :P :lol:

New guys look good!

As I already have a very customised siege breaker, I’ve converted him into a warmonger. Pretty simple, just using bits from the legion praetors, although removing that combi-volkite and replacing it with the paragon blade was certainly a little bit fiddly.

Oh yeah the combi-volkite was a pain to remove, I had to do that with my own siege breaker made from the same model:

k4TPKyz.jpg

Getting it removed though means you've now got a combi-volkite (which I think is the only one they've made?) to put somewhere.

Whew, that’s the most comments I think I’ve ever gotten in one bunch on here!

Looks awesome and can double up as a praetor or delegatus to boot

Awesome looking work!

Cheers guys! I suppose it could double up for those roles, although I do plan to eventually make a model for every kind of centurion role, I guess at that point he’ll be a pure warmonger :D

The Warmonger looks cracking, substituting the volkite for the sword changes the stance and feel of the model more than I would have thought. Rather heroic and noble for a member of the IVth, I'd say, though I suppose they weren't all bitter dullards. Inspired use of the MKIII power pack on the Contemptor, too.

Thanks! Funnily enough I hadn’t even planned anything - I was just playing about when I realised how perfect the sword would look there. That’s when I decided he’d be a warmonger. I am actually pretty happy with how he looks - dour for sure, but with proudness that would be uncommon among the sons of Perturabo.

Fantastic update on the Dread! I just love the ramshackle look you have achieved, and using that Plague Marine helmet for an Iron Warrior is a brilliant little touch!

Cheers man! That plague helmet was destined for use on my iron warriors from the moment I saw it sat on the floor of my local Warhammer Shop. The keeper let me keep it, and it’s just been sitting in my bitzbox waiting for the perfect mini to sit itself on. Once I took out the old helmet, I knew exactly what I had to do with this one :lol:

Oh hey, I can finally comment on this thread without feeling like a Necromancer :P :lol:

New guys look good!

Oh yeah the combi-volkite was a pain to remove, I had to do that with my own siege breaker made from the same model:

k4TPKyz.jpg

Getting it removed though means you've now got a combi-volkite (which I think is the only one they've made?) to put somewhere.

That looks awesome, it’s such a nice base model. And it actually is the only official combi-volkite in miniature form at the moment, so it’s certainly useful to have around.

Thanks for all the comments guys! I’ve got a tiny bit of new content today - I worked on the left leg of the contemptor and also primed it up:

sX7Rdqc.jpg

uTA2YPb.jpg

Seeing it all tied together under one colour has definitely helped me figure out where I am with this model - there’s still a little bit of work to do but not quite the amount I originally thought.

I’m pretty pleased with how the cardboard turned out, it kinda reminds me of cast iron. It’s not as smooth as the plastic, which makes for a nice contrast with the other surfaces on the model - plus, it’ll look great once I get to weathering the mini.

That’s all for this post! Hopefully next week the build will be finished and I can get to work on painting him up! I’ve also got a bitz order on it’s way - I’ll leave you with a picture of it’s contents, see if you can’t figure out what it is I’m planning to use it for ;)

rbNXN7z.jpg

Cheers for looking! Leave a comment and let me know what you think :)

So, today is my first day of self-quarantine. My girlfriend’s mother has just started exhibiting symptoms, and I’ve been staying at their house for the last few days, so chances are if she’s got it then I do too. Right now I’m not exhibiting any symptoms but there’s that 14 day incubation period to take into account, so for the next two weeks I probably won’t be leaving the house much.

Luckily for me, the house is exactly where all my hobby stuff is, so now I’ve got two uninterrupted weeks to do exactly as I please (at least until I am struck down by the grandfather :D)

Today was also the day my aforementioned bitz order arrived, and I got to work straight away!

t5PmguN.jpg

AFT1lDG.jpg

OvrfJti.jpg

So I spent the day building and converting my version of Erasmus Golg! I tried to keep it as artwork accurate as possible - luckily for me, the armour Golg wears in his artwork is almost exactly the same as the Grave Wardens kit, so they formed the basis of the mini. I used one of the new FW stormcast heads to give him a unique look that I also feel is pretty close to his art, and some justaerin legs for their intimidating spiked look and the slow, unrelenting stride in their pose. The combimelta and chainfist come from the new plastic chaos terminator kit, and the nuncio vox on top of his armour I managed to carefully extract from the warlord I posted recently - he doesn’t have them in his rules after all.

I decided to leave the eye of horus on the kneepad - my iron warriors force is supposed to be neutral, so they can be used as either traitors or loyalists. But Golg is definitively traitor, so I figured I’d leave it on him to mark him out as ‘special’. If and when I get around to making Kyr Vhalen, I’ll make sure there’s an Aquila on him somewhere too.

I’m just waiting on some GS to cure before I start to lay some paint on him. As always let me know what you think!

Fingers crossed you're free of the virus, brother, hope your girlfriend's family stay safe too.

You've done a cracking job with Golg, the chainfist in particular is a cool piece.

Hey guys! Quarantine is still ongoing, so I’ve been at home pretty much 24/7 the last few days. It’s given me lots of time to work on Golg, and without further ado;

mmj9eAj.jpg

kEzvMFG.jpg

bl4PPrM.jpg

8mNpCmQ.jpg

nDyV4Au.jpg

NCzyx4j.jpg

I’m super happy with how he came out! I was worried he looked almost too basic for a character model, but my fears have been allayed since I’ve gotten paint on him - I think he looks suitably unique and characterful!

Extremely proud of how the freehand hazard stripes came out - this model features the most I’ve ever done, as I normally play it safe and go for lower numbers with thicker stripes. This time I pushed myself, and I think it was worth it.

I’m also extremely happy with the chainfist. Initially I planned for it to be painted in hazard stripes too, but because of the strange curving shape of the surface, they just didn’t look good. Instead I opted to use a transfer, as a sort of afterthought just so the surface wasn’t plain - but it’s fast become one of my favourite parts of the mini. Go figure :D

However, the part I’m most proud of is definitely the face. I think it’s probably the best bare head I’ve done in my decade of modelling.

8YyNynO.jpg

VfTEb0p.jpg

I used one of the FW stormcast heads for accuracy to Golg’s artwork - the somewhat gaunt cheeks and broad features lent itself to the art really well. I had to modify it slightly - carefully removing a crown, and also carefully scraping away a section to act as the steel plate that Golg has bolted to his skull.

Fingers crossed you're free of the virus, brother, hope your girlfriend's family stay safe too.

You've done a cracking job with Golg, the chainfist in particular is a cool piece.

Cheers man, we’re all good for now. Golg has kept me busy through quarantine - I seriously think this is the fastest I’ve completed a model in years!

That’s all for today folks. I’m probably gonna get back to the contemptor now, but also gonna try add finishing touches to another tactical veteran squad which I haven’t posted yet. I’ve also got a set of siege tyrants to work on, and a whole selection of HQs to choose from. All in all, there’s probably a lot of content headed this way. Cheers for reading! Let me know what you all think.

Cleaning up my display cabinet today meant I had an opportunity to get the whole force together for a group shot. Normally they’re scattered, what with the various stages of building and painting, so it was really rewarding seeing how big the force has actually grown :D

IhRgkWJ.jpg

Currently it stands at 35 models, 24 of which are painted, for a total of around 2690 points if my maths is right. Pretty significant number! It’s funny, I think it feels a lot less, but having a lot of HQ and perturabo will definitely bump up the cost of the army haha.

That’s all for now. Today has been pretty slow on the hobby front; just adding final tiny details to models that should have been finished a long time ago. Once the whole squad is done I’ll photograph them. Cheers for reading!