Fantastic stuff, you've done a really nice job on this army with excellent conversions. I especially like the Contemptor. :tu:

Ta mate! I’m pretty sure you’ll enjoy the contents of this post in that case ;)

Today, after just under two years, I’m just about ready to call the conversion process on my custom contemptor finished! Without further ado:

SmfSlts.jpg

SJrULCw.jpg

JqWcLYs.jpg

0XTFSCi.jpg

pyUmX0j.jpg

This project has been a real labour of love. I took heavy inspiration from the look of the stock Iron Warriors contemptor model as well as @anvils_of_konor/Captain Jack’s custom cortus contemptors. This model really pushed me in terms of developing new techniques for conversion and also thinking outside the box in terms of what materials I used - as I’ve detailed previously in this thread, there’s a whole slew of recycled materials on this guy.

Apologies for the lower-than-usual photo quality. My desk lamp went caput earlier this week, and because of the lockdown here in Wales I haven’t been able to get my hands on a new one just yet, so I’m making do with the big light - which is why he looks so unbelievably shiny right now! :facepalm:

As always, leave a comment and let me know what you think. In spite of the cocked-up desk lamp, I’m still able to paint (as long as the sun is up:teehee:) and I’m looking to start on this guy as soon as possible. Cheers for reading!

Hey all!

Managed to finish my contemptor today!

RPYcY0B.jpg

7YUxHOi.jpg

nkO5g8w.jpg

QW2sPL0.jpg

ASJHYk9.jpg

Super happy with this! Almost all the hazard stripes are freehand which I’m super proud of - I think they came out really well. I started out on this guy two years ago - along the way I had my doubts as to whether or not it would look okay in the end, but now that it’s all done and there’s a unifying scheme on it, it fits in with the rest of my army like a charm.

I’ll probably give myself a few days break from the hobby now. Next I think I’ll work on my Tyrant siege terminators. Slowly I’m starting to run out of models to paint for this army, which means I’ll have to think about getting some more in!

As always, leave a comment and let me know what you think. Cheers!

Excellent work. The bloodstained chainfist, and the sword planted in its base (a grave marker?) are great additions.

Thanks Bjorn! The knife stuck in the sandbags was intended to be something left behind from a previous battle-line which my iron warriors are now advancing over. My idea for my bases was to depict a war torn, barren no-man’s land in which the fighting has ground to a stalemate, with neither the defending army being able to outright defeat their attackers, or the attacking army able to crack their opponents’ defences - hence, the iron warriors, being siege masters, have been deployed in order to finally break the siege.

Hey all! I’ve got a pretty big update today - I finished the tactical veterans squad I started working on about 2 years ago. The squad was 90% finished all this time, and just needed a few touches which I’d skipped out on because I had no time to add them before a tournament. Nevertheless, I don’t like to photograph my units until they’re 100% done, so none of these models have been posted here before.

Without further ado;

1J5h6Wa.jpg

Veteran Sergeant Vars Korod and the squad champion/2nd in command

OeGiwiS.jpg

Tactical marine and vexillarius. I like to make each of my squad’s standards unique in some way - Squad Korod’s vexilla is no exception. When Perturabo was reunited with his legion, he ordered decimation as punishment for their failings. This is the skull of the original 10th man of squad Korod - who was beaten to death by his brothers. Plated in iron, and borne into battle on the back of the brother who took his place - inspiring the members of this squad by reminding them them price of disappointing their gene-sire.

GBSpPph.jpg

Special weapons veteran bearing a melta and tactical veteran with a modified pauldron intended to add additional protection.

akfA9PR.jpg

Tactical veteran and heavy weapons veteran bearing a heavy bolter and modified helmet with targeting scope.

dfc4ha4.jpg

Last two tactical veterans

WqxskZd.jpg

And a group shot.

I’m really happy with how these turned out - hopefully none of these marines are too samey - I try to make each man unique, within reason.

It’s good to have these guys done - it’s also fun to see how much my painting has progressed from starting this unit to finishing it - the first bare head was painted when I started the squad, while the second was painted in the last week while I finished up the unit - I think there’s a definite difference in the level of painting between them - and the newest head is probably the best bare head I’ve painted.

Now that I’ve got these under my belt I feel more comfortable focusing on more interesting units - like my tyrant siege terminators, a staple of any good iron warriors force. After that I may even get a chance to tackle the primarch himself!

Very nice, have you considered a light sponge chip weathering on the blacks and hazard stripes, it would make it look even better IMO.

Cheers man! I’d considered doing sponge chip weathering but decided against it - I may look into the salt/hairspray method, but right now I’m happy with the grimy look as opposed to the super battered one.

As always, cheers for reading and let me know what you think!

Good job on the Iron Warriors models.

Cheers mate!

Today I have a small update - decided to swap the head on my Warmonger and make a custom replacement:

zsY7Aez.jpg

Head splicing is one of my favourite conversion techniques - not only is it a demonstration of skill, but also leaves you with a truly unique head. I used this technique before on my siege breaker using a thousand sons head, this time I used a death guard helm and the bare head from one of the space marine heroes.

Let me know what you think!

• 3 weeks later...

The spliced head looks fantastic, the Death Guard grill works perfectly.

Impressive. I can't imagine how hard it was to assemble three different models' parts in a way that would seem seamless if the parts were identically colored; but I can see you made good effort, with good results.

Cheers guys! The conversion isn’t actually -too- tricky - it’s a little fiddly and time consuming, but otherwise doable.

Today I only have a minor update - to a major character.

I’ve never liked the way Perturabo’s tilt shield looked - from the shape to the too-small iron skull displayed on it, which is actually so tiny it barely preserves any detail in the mould. So I elected to swap it:

HoL3kLD.jpg

I used the iron skull from a MKIII shoulder pad, and I’m super happy with the result. Now the shape is much more even and the iron skull is displayed prominently on the lord of iron’s model.

As always cheers for reading - let me know what you think!

• 1 year later...

I’m back!

As I noted in my other thread (http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/351088-k0nahrik’s-wip-log-random-conversions-and-kitbashes/) it’s been a very long time since I’ve been present on BnC. The full background on my absence can be read over there, meaning I can get right to the hobby stuff here.

So, what have I been up to? I experienced some pretty bad hobby burnout since the start of the pandemic, and only recently have I picked my brushes back up. But for good reason; I’ve been painting the Lord of Iron himself, and he’s coming along nicely!

Here’s where I’m at at the moment with Perturabo;

fu0LeaU.jpg

5ZExNEg.jpg

am4wEdF.jpg

2jHBTE1.jpg

FQKk4P5.jpg

Super happy with how he’s progressing - hopefully to be finished within the next few weeks. Particularly pleased with how the head and eyes have turned out - I think it’s probably the best bare face I’ve painted.

As always, let me know what you think and thanks for reading!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone. Small update today - have been very busy so not gotten back to Perturabo, but I do offer up another important iron warriors character in his stead;

A while back I converted and painted Erasmus Golg, famous traitor commander of the IVth legion. Today I’m showing off a very early WIP of his loyalist counterpart, Kyr Vhalen. This is a very early WIP/sketch of what I expect the final model to be, but I’m happy with how it’s turning out so far:

q0lVNNz.jpg

Irx9JC0.jpg

mt4FLPJ.jpg

This model takes quite a lot of artistic licence - for one, he’s based on the new Black Templars Castellan, which makes him ridiculously huge - he almost dwarfs my Cataphractii-armoured Golg model, which irks me slightly, but that’s also down to Golg’s model itself being built with older parts less affected by scale creep. With Golg and Kyr Vhalen I wanted them both to have a small icon indicating their loyalty - golg’s comes in the form of an eye of Horus on his knee, for Vhalen it appears in the form of an Aquila forming the cross guard of his Relic Blade.

I’m fairly happy with how it’s going but definitely planning on adding more work. For one, the relic Blade is ever so slightly wonky where it meets the handle, so I’m planning to drill the whole thing out and replace with brass rod. Next I think he needs some form of armoured tabard, perhaps similar to the ones seen on the new Havocs set, although less chaos-y. For his other arm I’m planning on doing a wrist-mounted volkite charger instead of a handheld one - I figure his relic blade as I’ve depicted it is so big he might want to use two hands to use it. The servo arm came from ferrus and while I do like it, it’s a pretty flimsy looking piece so it may also get a replacement. Lastly, I may have another go at the head, using the same piece - the first time around I tried a little strategic placing of plastic glue to get that melted scarring around his missing eye, but I’m not sure the idea was as brilliant as I thought it would be. I think how it looks with a coat of primer will be the deciding factor there though.

And that’s it for today! Let me know what you think - I’m super pumped to be working on Vhalen, when he and Perty are complete I’ll have a complete set of named characters for the Iron Warriors and that’ll feel pretty good.

Thanks for reading!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all!

Been a little while since my last post; I’ve been away in egypt so no hobby. Got back a couple days ago and just about settled in now to do a little bit of work on the IVth.

Today I’m coming at you with a squad of breachers I’ve had for a little while, as you might be able to tell by their primed state. Today I went back and revisited/photographed them, so I hope you enjoy!

I’ve gone super tactical with this squad - each member is equipped with a sidearm, grenades, and ammo if I could find space. I also plan on having combat knives strapped to their greaves, once I get ahold of five spare.

20gYaPI.jpg

MQQDJFb.jpg

3G4IQdm.jpg

TUvP3mr.jpg

So first up is the sergeant. I tried to pack as much character into this guy as I could - hence the trophies strapped to his shield, the unique helmet, and customised vambrace. I’ll be running him with a thunder hammer but the maul from the new havoc kit is too good to pass up so he’s getting it for RoC purposes. He also has a tilt shield - I know these are a pretty polarising design choice, and I used to dislike them, but they’ve really grown on me and add some nice real estate for freehand, so I figured I’d give him one. It also covered up a big gap without me having to GS too much detail in there so that was a win too. However, it itself made another big gap, which let me exercise perhaps my favourite rule of Blanchitsu - if there’s space, put a big cable there. I’m actually really happy with the result - I guess it’s an auxiliary power cable of some kind.

hkWZUae.jpg

ZHq7iRs.jpg

Next up is the vexilarius - as I’ve mentioned previously in this thread, I like all my vexillas to be unique, and add a little bit of story to the unit. In this case, I took a mounted servo skull bit from the old CSM kit and with some careful cutting and a little bit of plastic glue to strengthen the result, converted it into something resembling the haloed skull of the death guard. At some point in this unit’s history they served alongside the XIVth and must have impressed the Barbarans with their own feats of endurance, cause this squad specifically have been granted permission to bear a version of the haloed skull into battle.

sH0yTla.jpg

MkFN1ja.jpg

4EBiYrJ.jpg

jUzBxun.jpg

Lastly we have the three bog-standard breachers - special gunner using a melta with a bare rebreather head from the CSM terminators, gun grunt, and nuncio-cox gun grunt. Pretty happy with the nuncio-vox conversion, made using bits from the sicarian infiltrators that I had lying around.

The OG chonky boys. Really like what youve been doing with them!

Love the use of that Templar model, the heavy plates and extra piping are perfect for an Iron Warrior!

Cheers guys! Super happy with how it’s turning out, waiting on a bite order to finish him up.

That’s all for today! Let me know what you think - back with another update sometime soon!

Been working on the Warsmith this week. Base model is the GW Warpsmith, I’ve been using a dremel to clear out a load of material from between his legs and now I’m using GS to add details.

XGFbif1.jpg

DwheJ67.jpg

And for reference here’s a before shot from behind, which shows all the stuff I’ve had to remove. In the standard model this is obscured by a huge cape so the big block of plain resin isn’t such an issue:

SpfWtE5.jpg

Where is the head from???

These kitbashes are absolutely stunning stuff, def gives me creative ideas if I ever decide to put together some classic armour pieces for my IF Successor armies. The painting on Perturabo's coming along fantastically too, I'm jealous of that worn look on his legs especially with the hazard stripes!

Can't wait to see more of the army in future!

Cambrius

• 9 months later...
On 3/25/2022 at 8:26 PM, Chainaxe07 said:

Where is the head from???

Howdy! Head’s from the Imperial Fists MKIII heads on FW

On 3/26/2022 at 4:26 PM, Pearson73 said:

Those Breachers are excellent, particularly the chap with the maul and the vexilla.

On 3/26/2022 at 11:03 PM, Brother Cambrius said:

These kitbashes are absolutely stunning stuff, def gives me creative ideas if I ever decide to put together some classic armour pieces for my IF Successor armies. The painting on Perturabo's coming along fantastically too, I'm jealous of that worn look on his legs especially with the hazard stripes!

Can't wait to see more of the army in future!

Cambrius

Thanks guys! 

Today I’ve come with a long awaited update - recently moved house, changed jobs a few times, lots of pretty big changes so haven’t had a bunch of time to hobby of late, until now!

Dusted off my brushes and put in a little more work on Perturabo this week - he’s very nearly finished, I just need to paint up his forearms.

IvlXZzP.jpeg [/img]

Super happy with how he’s looking, particularly chuffed with the yellow after giving it a little once over with some Flash Gitz Yellow to give it a bit of extra pop. Still needs a few touch ups on the pauldrons but the finish line is in sight!

as for what’s coming up - I’ve got some siege tyrants that I’ve had knocking around for a while that are in serious need of some love - I’ve never been super keen on the official FW models, so a little bit of kitbashing is on the cards. Following that, I’ve got another contemptor, the prior shown breacher squad, a squad of havocs, and a bunch of praetors that I’ve posted about in this thread but never painted.

After that, very loosely planned, i’d like to get my hands on a Deredeo, potentially a tank or two, and a squad of non-tyrant terminators.

All in all, I’m planning to wrap things up with this army fairly soon! They’ve been a labour of love for years now but it’s time to move onto a new force - if you’re interested in that, I’ll be taking up a force of Dornian Heresy Scars, so keep eyes peeled for that thread when it goes up! 

As always, CC welcome and encouraged. Cheers for reading!

Hey all!

Here’s the photos of the completed Lord of Iron, Hammer of Olympia himself. Perturabo, Primarch of the Iron Warriors.

hVTASKv.jpeg
9pG5PkT.jpeg

erbQwor.jpeg
lmmodOV.jpeg

I’ve had this model for a couple years, and it’s taken me a long time to get around to finishing it - I’ve always wanted to to the sculpt justice; I’m happy to say I think I managed it. It’s an incredible model and was a real joy to paint (apart from when it wasn’t)

Points of pride for me include the head, hazard stripes, and the overall grittiness of the model. It’s been painted over such a long period that my skills have changed many times, I’m also happy with myself for managing to stay consistent across the whole model. This was a real labour of love. Obviously I couldn’t resist making a few changes to the base model, replacing his oversized Imperial Knight base with something that fits the theme of the army, as well as making a small but noticeable tweak to his tilt shield, replacing it with the iron skull badge of the IVth legion. 

All in all, really proud. Now I’m gonna grab myself a pint and relax. As always, thank you for reading, CC welcome and appreciated. Iron within! Iron Without!