30k Hobby Chat

7 minutes ago, No Foes Remain said:

I'm trying to convert up some Phobos pattern combi volkites and I've hit a rut, my current concept works but I'm not happy with it but I don't know how to really go about it.

Reveal hidden contents

IMG_20230107_101452.jpg.711e9f076698c3fd7e86c4c6761ea702.jpg

It works on principle but just looks too clunky to me, looking at all other forms of combi weapons it seems that they are 'merged' into the bolter part or the bolter part being build around them but I don't think I can do that with the bits I have.

Does anyone here have any ideas or advice, aside from waiting to see if GW brings out combi weapons (which, knowing my luck, they will as soon as I've cut up all my chargers).

I think the Phobos magazine is going to have to go: the problem seems to me the gap between magazine and volkite - too small to be useful. Do you have any primaris autobolter magazines? The chunky box one? That could then sit flush with the volkite bit.

Might try it myself - I have just one random volkite charger and no good squad to give it to … but then I have no box magazine.  A drum magazine and filling any gap might work too? Some sternguard bolter might be able to donate?

So something like this?

Spoiler

IMG_20230107_142728.jpg.a6b8732e4d9ee371f6e407c46b1eae77.jpg

Found my sternguard box, cut down one combi weapon then attached the volkite from the vehicle accessories sprue to the underside which was cut down to just the coils.

13 minutes ago, No Foes Remain said:

So something like this?

Reveal hidden contents

Found my sternguard box, cut down one combi weapon then attached the volkite from the vehicle accessories sprue to the underside which was cut down to just the coils.

That's rather nice! Good work. 

I hadn't had the idea to use the box magazines with Phobos bolters and it looks great. 

9 hours ago, No Foes Remain said:

So something like this?

Hide contents

That looks beautiful! I think the ‘sideways’ volkite has some recent precedent in the forge world praetors too.

Love the teeth on those despoilers!

I’m going to be taking my Raven Guard, Warhound and some Sisters of Silence to Warhammer Fest. I’m slowly making progress, using a sort of scattergun approach in which I nudge various units slowly forward rather than finishing anything, while also mucking about with my list all the time.

Recently I forced myself to finish the interior of my Warhound, which has let me finally glue the thing’s body together. Just the armour to do now, and I’ve made a start on that. 

DF21B58A-F84B-4A45-837F-408F15931F89.thumb.jpeg.614b3f748960abc2a646ca631f607d1e.jpeg

51560F7A-C785-4DFF-8DDD-E9D81FBF1F87.thumb.jpeg.11627add652459c43c969d2e37e05112.jpeg

33479397-85A0-4804-8F04-DA8E8C056CAB.thumb.jpeg.f2e19531e376a3f1264a8b44762f63ac.jpeg

Meanwhile I’ve had a proper rummage through old boxes and emerged with this unpainted Castra Ferrum dreadnought. This model is so old it’s lead - none of your new-fangled white metal here! It had the resin left arm stuck on but I found that didn’t match the original metal one, so I swapped that for one from an unfinished Chaplain Dreadnought conversion - which I don’t suppose I’ll now ever need. 

4603C419-1106-40C6-B8E5-604410E02979.thumb.jpeg.578ddb9b1909cb685d97935e3aa5bc7d.jpeg

What’s this decidedly in-stealthy dread doing in a RG army? Well my head cannon is that he’s an old guy from the pre-Corax days. He might even have fallen fighting alongside Horus. Now he’s very cross about the betrayal and has demanded he be allowed out to do some damage. Post-Istvaan everyone available is needed, so off he goes. 

Edited by Mandragola

On 1/7/2023 at 3:32 PM, No Foes Remain said:

So something like this?

Hide contents

Looks great like that, I was going to suggest putting the volkite above the boltgun part, but I think your version works better

I did have another one cut apart to try to put it on top but, like the underslung one, I couldn't figure out how to have it without it seeming chunky.

Also just realised I forgot to post the finished model that the gun was going to go on, meet the Libar ian for my Terran Ultras. Picture would have been a bit better but the sword across the front really messes with the focus on my phone, not seen in the picture is the rear of the torso slightly shaved down to look like Mk2 on the visable side.

IMG_20230109_093724.thumb.jpg.a8f518af5e4371a937ba6d61ec5781a6.jpg

1 hour ago, No Foes Remain said:

I did have another one cut apart to try to put it on top but, like the underslung one, I couldn't figure out how to have it without it seeming chunky.

Also just realised I forgot to post the finished model that the gun was going to go on, meet the Libar ian for my Terran Ultras. Picture would have been a bit better but the sword across the front really messes with the focus on my phone, not seen in the picture is the rear of the torso slightly shaved down to look like Mk2 on the visable side.

IMG_20230109_093724.thumb.jpg.a8f518af5e4371a937ba6d61ec5781a6.jpg

Great looking mini, real techno barbaric 

That works well. I like how the volkite is on sideways. 

I've got a bunch of deathwatch combi-weapons and some volkites. I plan to make them up for Mor Deythan. They aren't in the current list I'm working on though, so they're not top priorities for now.

My wargames exclusive Curze showed up on the day I posted the recons, and I've been cleaning, assembling, and trying to block in all the details since then.l

PXL_20230110_165632227.thumb.jpg.c35b9056a221dadbc64d8096026611a2.jpg

PXL_20230110_165648747.thumb.jpg.34e89327dfb1ed460b1f79faec708a7b.jpg

It shares a lot of similarities with the forgeworld version, which is great. I miss the shark fins on the legs and amount of flayed skin/gore, but the claws and stance are huge improvements to offset that.

@Cruor VaultThose wings are really well done!

@Irate Khornate Nice use of parts, those lads look brutal!

I've been working on some more line troopers for my Iron Tenth, really happy with this chap's face, one of the best I've done. Eyes are still a struggle...

large.IMG_20230110_215330.jpg.76c76b2da64b020b14e5c6b6e9c3f900.jpg

I left the hobby around 2014 because I was getting frustrated with my local store staff and personal life issues. One example being that they wanted me to get into BFG - so I bought some ships and then the manager who wanted me to get into it so he could teach me to play (and so he'd have someone to play it with) not only left but the store closed not too long after.

Just gotten back into it at the end of the year/start of this year for Horus Heresy.

Mainly because I have a fair collection of Rogue Trader models that have sat around doing nothing for a long time.

Currently adding a few more Rogue Trader models too - like the original Tech Marines as I want to turn them into the "helpers" for a modern Tech Marine though if I can I wouldn't mind getting some 3D printed oldschool Tech Marine backpacks for them (the early 90s ones)

My Cobra Terminators (I actually have 9) and 1 of my variant C terminators will become an Indomitus squad, using Mk1 and 2 Terminator arms to give them chainfists, storm/combi bolters and proteus assault cannons

I actually have not 3 but 4 of the LE2 space marines, so was thinking about using them in a squad but not sure which squad would best suit them.

I also have a good number of the original RTB01 Imperial Space Marines I can use (1 full 20 man squad right now, with more already put together by previous owner + more still on sprue)

I also have 5-6 of the old Bullock bikes and 5-6 of the Imperial Guard ones + my 2nd ed spoon top predators, my old whirlwind, a rhino, land speeders (2nd ed and the more modern design) and my newer (now old) Land Raider

I also plan to use a couple of the 2000s models, like the 2004 Vet Sergeant Beaky Marine and the Master of the Arsenal/Armoury model, which I've given a plasma pistol in place of his power sword.

Alongside the actual Age of Darkness boxset models, 1 pack of Mk3 Space Marines, a Leviathan Dreadnought and another box of Mk6 coming + the weapon upgrade packs and the dreadnought sprues.

DSCF0968.JPG

Rogue Trader metals.jpg

Tech Marines - repair squad - 02.png

RTB01 Marines.jpg