30k Hobby Chat

7 hours ago, LameBeard said:

Graviton gun would look really cool and sort of fits the fluff - he can fix machines or he can wreck them.  And he had relentless so can make good use of it. Similarly, thunder hammer would be cool. But both means 90 points on a 1 wound, T4 model - seems a bit fragile?

PS Great to see the Rogue Trader models.

I could attach him to my Cobra Terminator Indomitus squad - they have relentless too

think this would be a nice job.. Get smacked with a graviton gun, then shot at with two proteus assault cannons, then with combi bolters. Then with close combat there's 9 chainfists, one power sword and one thunder hammer

Though the melta works nicely too so either or

Edited by Dark-Storm-01

On 1/19/2023 at 10:25 AM, Xenith said:

Very nice, are they Alpha Cenobites, or actual DA's?

Thanks. They're actual Dark Angels, I still plan to build my own versions of the Legion units when I get back to the Alpha Legion. 

4 hours ago, Dark-Storm-01 said:

I could attach him to my Cobra Terminator Indomitus squad - they have relentless too

think this would be a nice job.. Get smacked with a graviton gun, then shot at with two proteus assault cannons, then with combi bolters. Then with close combat there's 9 chainfists, one power sword and one thunder hammer

Though the melta works nicely too so either or

Yup, both good, although mixing non-terminator characters in loses you the heavy buff and inexorable. But rule of cool always trumps. I think the real question is how will graviton or melta look one-handed. Or will they be incorporated into servo-harness?

Edited by LameBeard

14 hours ago, LameBeard said:

Yup, both good, although mixing non-terminator characters in loses you the heavy buff and inexorable. But rule of cool always trumps. I think the real question is how will graviton or melta look one-handed. Or will they be incorporated into servo-harness?

I'll have him holding either 1 handed.

13 hours ago, Axineton said:

Made a start on my Ultramarines today. First coat down. Will try and get more done during the week if I can get the motivation. 

869CEA6A-64A6-438A-8DDE-8B893E97BE08.jpeg

Tell me about it. Finding it hard to paint simply because I'm always so tired. I've got like 40 models sitting there on my paint desk to do + the AOD boxset models the only one I've painted is the Praetor with sword.

AOD boxset + 20 Mk 3 + 20 Mk 6 + 2 leviathan dreads + a Master of the Arsenal I'm going to use as a Centurion and make Legion Champion to use it as is + all the Rogue Trader models I want to use lol including my Cobra Termies.. Just so little energy especially in winter.

I feel your pain mate. I’ve not built much apart from three mk6s that I’ve sprayed blue and started on this one yesterday. No point building anymore while it’s so bloody cold as I can’t spray them outside until it warms up. Good old British winter!! 

7 hours ago, Axineton said:

I feel your pain mate. I’ve not built much apart from three mk6s that I’ve sprayed blue and started on this one yesterday. No point building anymore while it’s so bloody cold as I can’t spray them outside until it warms up. Good old British winter!! 

Ditto though spraying black rather than blue.. I see the way people paint the models has changed and that my painting style - similar to John Blanche's drybrushing etc, is no longer in vogue.

1 hour ago, Dark-Storm-01 said:

Ditto though spraying black rather than blue.. I see the way people paint the models has changed and that my painting style - similar to John Blanche's drybrushing etc, is no longer in vogue.

I don’t think any painting style can be considered out of fashion! Least of all the “Blanchitsu” style, given how quintessentially grimdark it is. Quite besides anything else, it’s dull seeing reems of similarly painted minis. Much as I admire the technical skills of a lot of the elite painters out there, there can also be a homogeneity of style that leaves me a little cold. I want variety of style and approach to look at, that’s one of the reasons I love the Heresy painting community in general, there’s less of a tendency to stylise things to the point of making them look less “real” which you see on a lot of YouTube channels.

In short, please feel free to share you work on here, I promise there’ll be people who appreciate it and will let you know.

I've been on the hunt for the "perfect" raptor for a while. The forgeworld sculpts have some fantastic details, but lack the wargear options, and also have some very funky poses and skinny limbs. The 40k raptor box has all the wargear, but also has some very obvious chaos stuff, like flesh pipes and warped armour. I finally stumbled across a full array of stls that worked and my buddy printed them up for me, and having just finished assembling one, I'm in love.

PXL_20230123_022606852.thumb.jpg.07542a0f91578c0e2707406e68362faa.jpg595713614_PXL_20230123_0226068522.thumb.jpg.daab56e26fc901ca839caa4be572bb7d.jpg

The resin is hard to photograph, so I cranked some of the settings in the second picture to show the details, though it'll all only come through post-primer. Head's going to be swapped out for a forgeworld raptor head, but still works really well as a mockup.

19 hours ago, Axineton said:

I can’t spray them outside until it warms up. Good old British winter!! 

You might be surprised, when it gets really cold the air humidity drops and makes priming ok! That and GW primers are super forgiving, I've been priming models every time the weather clears up and it stops raining for half a day - No issues with spray quality or fuzzing also, but leadbelcher seems to take a while longer to dry in the cold. Chaos black goes off after the usual 5 mins, but leadbelcher is still a bit tacky after that. 

Edited by Xenith

57 minutes ago, Xenith said:

You might be surprised, when it gets really cold the air humidity drops and makes priming ok! That and GW primers are super forgiving, I've been priming models every time the weather clears up and it stops raining for half a day - No issues with spray quality or fuzzing also, but leadbelcher seems to take a while longer to dry in the cold. Chaos black goes off after the usual 5 mins, but leadbelcher is still a bit tacky after that. 

It's not so much the paint as wanting to be outside in the cold.

-2C/29F might not be all that bad for some but I don't want to be out in it as it makes my bones ache.

Edited by Dark-Storm-01

12 hours ago, General Zodd said:

I don’t think any painting style can be considered out of fashion! Least of all the “Blanchitsu” style, given how quintessentially grimdark it is. Quite besides anything else, it’s dull seeing reems of similarly painted minis. Much as I admire the technical skills of a lot of the elite painters out there, there can also be a homogeneity of style that leaves me a little cold. I want variety of style and approach to look at, that’s one of the reasons I love the Heresy painting community in general, there’s less of a tendency to stylise things to the point of making them look less “real” which you see on a lot of YouTube channels.

In short, please feel free to share you work on here, I promise there’ll be people who appreciate it and will let you know.

see page 100 for the model I posted earlier :)

27 minutes ago, Dark-Storm-01 said:

It's not so much the paint as wanting to be outside in the cold.

-2C/29F might not be all that bad for some but I don't want to be out in it as it makes my bones ache.

Add another reason for an Air Brush. I live in constant +/-80% humidity. An airbrush has been my saving grace if for nothing more than being able to prime year round. It's been raining for the last ist 2 weeks and that hasn't hindered me at all! 

Highly recommend!

I got them all primed and jeeze, I'm even more blown away. Only have pics of the seargent since he's the only one with a head still lol

PXL_20230123_141137609.thumb.jpg.e84a7394cc9c8fec5f914d857fce1d5a.jpgPXL_20230123_141153406.thumb.jpg.af4e206875012154220f6df2d491d100.jpg

I am dreading the amount of trim there is. I think I'll have to change my plan of doing the shoulder spikes gold to black, so the model actually has some colour balance on the front.

5 hours ago, Xenith said:

The worst is here in the Southeastern US, where humidity might not drop below 85% for weeks.

4 hours ago, Dont-Be-Haten said:

Add another reason for an Air Brush. I live in constant +/-80% humidity. An airbrush has been my saving grace if for nothing more than being able to prime year round. It's been raining for the last ist 2 weeks and that hasn't hindered me at all! 

Highly recommend!

I wouldn't mind getting one but dunno what the learning curve for getting it right will be

11 hours ago, Dark-Storm-01 said:

see page 100 for the model I posted earlier :)

I already “liked” it! Afraid I can’t do it again! :wink:

So, seeing as you’ve gotten a bunch of likes already, what prompted the comment about it not being in vogue? Maybe you’ve not had many comments, but I wouldn’t take that as a sign, necessarily, especially as most people have been too busy gushing about your enviable stockpile of classic minis instead!

10 hours ago, Dark-Storm-01 said:

I wouldn't mind getting one but dunno what the learning curve for getting it right will be

I bought a itawaba 150 eclipse with a 250 psi compressor and a titration nozzle all recommended by a majority of Google searches. 

I've basically taught myself how yo airbrush through hours of YouTube DIYs and step-by-steps along with trial and error. The biggest curve is keeping your paint from drying on the tip which leads to splattering etc. 

10 hours ago, Dark-Storm-01 said:

I think it's not that hard, especially if you're priming and getting base coats laid down. I'm certainly no wizard at it, but I manage and it does pretty good for me.

Some basic techniques like putting the thinner and flow improver first, then paint/primer really make a big difference to not have to clean the thing so often.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

16 hours ago, General Zodd said:

I already “liked” it! Afraid I can’t do it again! :wink:

So, seeing as you’ve gotten a bunch of likes already, what prompted the comment about it not being in vogue? Maybe you’ve not had many comments, but I wouldn’t take that as a sign, necessarily, especially as most people have been too busy gushing about your enviable stockpile of classic minis instead!

Coz it seems GW etc no longer paint that way what with all these layer and contrast paints etc. Dunno just seems this style isn't used much now.

Kit bashed a praetor for my EC. The sword is pinned via the smallest drill work I've ever done, I'm going to replace the pack with a jumppack when my printer is back up and running. I'd never seen the centurion bare heads before but now I think its my new favourite. 

Kyle over at Mr lees minis did me a solid by printing me some sponsons to get this eBay rescue landraider up and running. 

IMG_20230122_213433.jpg

IMG_20230122_213425.jpg

IMG_20230122_213413.jpg

IMG_20230123_201203.jpg

IMG_20230123_203241.jpg