30k Hobby Chat

Just in case more things start disappearing from the FW site I decided to order the few things I know I want.

MkIII & IV Techmarines

Praevian

Moritat with Plasma Pistols

Command Rhino

In case they port to plastic and I don't like them compared to the resin ones

I am working on some World Eaters and am lucky enough to have the original Forge World transfer sheet. Can anyone remind me please of the significance of the slightly “chunkier” version of the legion symbol, I believe called “Devourer”? What does it denote? 

992ED482-215D-4AF5-852B-11845EEC0D5C.jpeg

On 12/30/2022 at 5:23 PM, Pacific81 said:

20221230_154730~2.jpg

Ok that is your best argument yet, you’ve finally convinced me. I’m starting epic. I’ll meet you behind Firestorm Games and hand over brown envelopes stuffed with cash for some of those jet bikes.

Edited by LameBeard
Made a mess with double-quote

I've been traveling for work for a couple of months.  I built this Locutarus Storm squad back in August, but haven't had a chance to put any paint on them before today.  I roughed in the black and a few details before I decided something was missing.

IMG_5513.thumb.JPG.3e61fd7b75db6d2595836cb6f9536481.JPG

A friend Suggested White feathers on the jump packs.  It's coming together well I think!  Some cleanup needed on the overspray from the white, but its still early enough to clean up easily.

IMG_5518.thumb.JPG.e486b00d02288dc8b20c85e37d7a0761.JPG

Im slowly working through my Ultramarines. Started Heresy with Age of Darkness and have a good amount built and painted, tho still have details to finish.  Hopefully get them wrapped up and photographed this month. 

Here is my Master of Signals preparing for his 3rd assault on WHW in a few weeks.

7 hours ago, dickyelsdon said:

Im slowly working through my Ultramarines. Started Heresy with Age of Darkness and have a good amount built and painted, tho still have details to finish.  Hopefully get them wrapped up and photographed this month. 

Here is my Master of Signals preparing for his 3rd assault on WHW in a few weeks.

I love this guy! You couldn’t give us a list of parts used, could you? Or is it all 3D printed? That floating platform is ace!

13 hours ago, dickyelsdon said:

Looking fantastic! What's the base from?

Two Contemptors, too cheesy?

I'm playing around with my 2500 points Drop Pod list again and I think 5 Melta Vets and 5 Heavy Support Missile Marines are poor investments (They're pretty easy to delete off the board and the Missile Marines would be hindered first turn).

So I've been thinking about trading them out for a Dual Lascannon Contemptor, the other is Chainfist and Melta Cannon.

Now being Drop Pod Assault barring the Drop Pods (two Dreadclaws) this would be the only "armour" so I don't think it's too much cheese but I'm curious as to what others think.

Edited by Hfran Morkai

11 hours ago, General Zodd said:

I love this guy! You couldn’t give us a list of parts used, could you? Or is it all 3D printed? That floating platform is ace!

Thanks all!  He was great fun to build and paint.

To answer Zodd and others;

The main body/legs are Remus Ventanus from Forgeworld, id bought him but decided against running him.

Backpack is standard new MKVI.

Arms are just random selection of marine arms chopped up to get the pose.

Chainsword i think was from Blood Angel death company.

Gamiel correctly identifies the mapping table as from the Genestealer cult Nexos miniature, with some hover power nodes taken from Primaris bits.

Head i dont recall, it was in my bits box.

Legion shoulder pad from 40k Ultramarine upgrade sprue.

Studded shoulder pad is from a Ravenguard model with their icon shaved off.

Base is a 40mm Sacred Ruin base from https://unrealwargamingstudios.co.uk/ slightly modified to make more space (I chopped a column off)

Painting wise its Macragge blue with a drop of Caledor Sky added for a zenithal highlight (not that you can really see it), and a bit of edge highlighting with Calgar on upper edges. Rhinox hide chips, also highlighted. I then applied gloss and used some MIG brown panel wash, with a final matte varnish. Hazard striping on the sword was just a bit of fun as a mate was doing his Iron Hands at the same time. 

Edited by dickyelsdon

Wrapped up the first five recons as my first unit of the new year. Only 10 more to go until I'm on to the fun things like javelins, dreads and raptors.

PXL_20230104_183258768.thumb.jpg.bb0f67a975d597f1716e9f838ddcf033.jpgPXL_20230104_183322504.thumb.jpg.c557aeb29d778aae3ce143df75d24f51.jpgPXL_20230104_183232401.thumb.jpg.a3d4d19ee7adc5f0864fd071561d6f14.jpgPXL_20230104_183355488.thumb.jpg.7c9d7c938ae1153e8834569eedb05665.jpgPXL_20230104_183338738.thumb.jpg.7374e332b9f62b844e618198b9f458ef.jpg

@Xenith i think it was goonhammer who suggested it, but while it's not wrong, its also kind of the maximum you'd want to include; 2 in 2500 can still disrupt things and you should be mindful of the impact.

11 minutes ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

@Xenith i think it was goonhammer who suggested it, but while it's not wrong, its also kind of the maximum you'd want to include; 2 in 2500 can still disrupt things and you should be mindful of the impact.

I'll bear that in mind, I really don't want to hamper my opponents fun but all those Augery Scanners can certainly cause a Drop Pod list cause for concern.

I did consider a Leviathan and Contemptor but feel that's too mean.

Edited by Hfran Morkai

1 hour ago, Hfran Morkai said:

I'll bear that in mind, I really don't want to hamper my opponents fun but all those Augery Scanners can certainly cause a Drop Pod list cause for concern.

I did consider a Leviathan and Contemptor but feel that's too mean.

It's all a big "it depends on the lists". 2 contemptors in a well rounded list can be strong; 2 contemptors in a drop pod assault list probably don't do much .

On 1/4/2023 at 9:49 AM, dickyelsdon said:

Thanks all!  He was great fun to build and paint.

To answer Zodd and others;

The main body/legs are Remus Ventanus from Forgeworld, id bought him but decided against running him.

Backpack is standard new MKVI.

Arms are just random selection of marine arms chopped up to get the pose.

Chainsword i think was from Blood Angel death company.

Gamiel correctly identifies the mapping table as from the Genestealer cult Nexos miniature, with some hover power nodes taken from Primaris bits.

Head i dont recall, it was in my bits box.

Legion shoulder pad from 40k Ultramarine upgrade sprue.

Studded shoulder pad is from a Ravenguard model with their icon shaved off.

Base is a 40mm Sacred Ruin base from https://unrealwargamingstudios.co.uk/ slightly modified to make more space (I chopped a column off)

Painting wise its Macragge blue with a drop of Caledor Sky added for a zenithal highlight (not that you can really see it), and a bit of edge highlighting with Calgar on upper edges. Rhinox hide chips, also highlighted. I then applied gloss and used some MIG brown panel wash, with a final matte varnish. Hazard striping on the sword was just a bit of fun as a mate was doing his Iron Hands at the same time. 

Thanks for the comprehensive reply, much appreciated!

Cheeky WiP of some allies to join the Sisters of Silence, as for some reason I get told off when I suggested my fear bombing Night Lords could be Loyalty Curious. 

Centurian with Inner Circle, about halfway there I think. 

379061219_DarkAngelsWiP.thumb.jpg.5a1f861bbea789faf0966277baaf8671.jpg

Edited by Loquille

1 hour ago, Loquille said:

Cheeky WiP of some allies to join the Sisters of Silence, as for some reason I get told off when I suggested my fear bombing Night Lords could be Loyalty Curious. 

So someone is saying soulless pariahs, towards whom every other living thing feels an instinctive revulsion and loathing, who carry out the orders of a distant bloodthirsty xenophobe, who trawl the stars to bring back innocent psykers for harvest, who never speak, whose very presence brings nothing but dread, can’t hang out with a few guys in midnight blue who got a bit carried away with the whole “skulls and flayed skin” aesthetic?  I think they are the *perfect* companions.  When your friends are talking about loyalty just remember - loyalty to what?

Nevertheless, I heartily approve of them goading you into a new legion.

Edited by LameBeard
Style

I'm trying to convert up some Phobos pattern combi volkites and I've hit a rut, my current concept works but I'm not happy with it but I don't know how to really go about it.

Spoiler

IMG_20230107_101452.jpg.711e9f076698c3fd7e86c4c6761ea702.jpg

It works on principle but just looks too clunky to me, looking at all other forms of combi weapons it seems that they are 'merged' into the bolter part or the bolter part being build around them but I don't think I can do that with the bits I have.

Does anyone here have any ideas or advice, aside from waiting to see if GW brings out combi weapons (which, knowing my luck, they will as soon as I've cut up all my chargers).