30k Hobby Chat

3 hours ago, Xenith said:

I'm struggling to come up with a theme/reason for my Alphas existing. Usually I want, or come up with some kind of narrative to my armies, but I'm really struggling for some reason. AL just seem to have stories about them being kill teams and whatnot. Other than the invasion of paramar, we don't see AL tanks anywhere, there might have been a dread in Scars/Path of heaven? Even 'Legion' only features about 50 marines in total with 3 named, and no other materiels. Even paramar seemed to be the exception to the norm

I'd thought about a ZM execution/headhunter force, but that would be lacking in armour. In general I sa them as loyalists, siding with Omegon against the plans of the cabal and actively working to disrupt other Alphas plans, however at this point in the time, I think the cabal are getting swept under the rug. 

I have some visions of my AL fighting alongside Blood Angels at the siege, however would they be trusted to be there, or just killed by Dorn?

What other major engagements have the Alphas partaken in? I think the biggst seems to be Istvaan 5, right? I guess blasted glassed/mud bases might work. 

I wouldn't feel too bound by narratives from the novels; the Extermination campaign book did specifically state that despite its reputation for sneaky-breaky shenanigans, the XXth were at the end of the day a fully equipped and functional Astartes Legion, with all the heavy support elements and equipment that entails.

If you want an armor-focused force and still want to lean in on the deception angle, I'd go less with "You don't know we're here" tactical level deception and more on the strategic level misdirection - stuff like making the target believe this group of tanks is friendly here to reinforce their position, "Hey [ ] Legion armor assets, we're here to conduct joint operations with you. Our vehicles will integrate formations with yours. Oh my, isn't it convenient we have clear LOS on your rear armor" type of stuff.

If you want to go whole-hog on that sort of thing, I'm pretty sure I've seen people paint their Alpha Legion models with schemes like holographic disguise fields flickering/fading away. Maybe that's something that could work with tanks? Add some extra gubbins to act as holo-projectors or something, paint splotches of another Legion's color scheme just around the projector bit?

4 hours ago, Xenith said:

Other than the invasion of paramar, we don't see AL tanks anywhere

Tallarn. They have an armoured column that joins the iron warriors', and they claim to have intercepted every iron warrior expedition that was sent to find the plot device on the planet.

I think loyal alpha legion would have an extremely difficult time of it. Who would trust them? I’m 100% sure Dorn, and especially the Custodes, would execute them rather than risk it. 

They’d know that, so set out to find a way to make a difference. Luckily, they have all the skills to fight alone for extended periods. Maybe they’re even fighting behind the traitor lines on Terra, where the fog of war would let them get up to all kinds of mishchief. 

Anyway, my seekers are finished. I plan to make another five and potentially also a unit with combi-meltas. 

3D1B37A1-B44B-4FFD-A8C1-1C3CAED1E684.thumb.jpeg.33ee6d76d7cd9384ba7474dd42505c07.jpeg

On 8/11/2022 at 10:09 AM, Xenith said:

I'm struggling to come up with a theme/reason for my Alphas existing. Usually I want, or come up with some kind of narrative to my armies, but I'm really struggling for some reason. AL just seem to have stories about them being kill teams and whatnot. Other than the invasion of paramar, we don't see AL tanks anywhere, there might have been a dread in Scars/Path of heaven? Even 'Legion' only features about 50 marines in total with 3 named, and no other materiels. Even paramar seemed to be the exception to the norm

I'd thought about a ZM execution/headhunter force, but that would be lacking in armour. In general I sa them as loyalists, siding with Omegon against the plans of the cabal and actively working to disrupt other Alphas plans, however at this point in the time, I think the cabal are getting swept under the rug. 

I have some visions of my AL fighting alongside Blood Angels at the siege, however would they be trusted to be there, or just killed by Dorn?

What other major engagements have the Alphas partaken in? I think the biggst seems to be Istvaan 5, right? I guess blasted glassed/mud bases might work. 

Well I look at it like this Xen. Alpha's are the sneakiest. To the point even their own brothers don't always know who is who. 

You could simply have your Siege alphas under the guise of x loyalist legion, and they are afraid to reveal themselves due to fear of death before they can sow discord and sate their revenge, only revealing themselves in the thick of battle, etc.

Conversely they could be attached to a traitor legion and reveal themselves at a critical moment very dues ex machina style, like at a pivotal juncture to redeem themselves from some oath bonds they took decades ago, and always remained loyalist. What's 50 guys amongst a sea of thousands?

Instvaan V is very easy and looks great painted. I follow the GW recipe for it, and it has not disappointed on my RG! Red texture paints is another big contrast I like with that metallic blue/turquoise you have going, and you have the skill to pull either of those, or the SoT scheme off!

My main core of breachers continue taking form. I am struggling a little bit with how much indiviuality to get on each marine, vs just getting them done. I managed to get a pose on one I am quite happy with it. It actually looks like a marine aiming with his bolter for a change! And the chain sling seems suitably metal.

20220813_191527.jpg

1 hour ago, Torbenos said:

My main core of breachers continue taking form. I am struggling a little bit with how much indiviuality to get on each marine, vs just getting them done. I managed to get a pose on one I am quite happy with it. It actually looks like a marine aiming with his bolter for a change! And the chain sling seems suitably metal.

I think you've done a great job on him!

After just assembling 70+ guys my thoughts on posing have changed from each guy is an individual as part of a whole to justifying to myself it doesn't matter if they look similar because they all use the same combat training and fighting techniques.  I've found head posing works quite well and adding different decals helps give the illusion of individually without the construction becoming a chore. On the whole though I think you can be forgiven for less individuality in Heresy armies.

On 8/11/2022 at 10:53 PM, Mandragola said:

Anyway, my seekers are finished. I plan to make another five and potentially also a unit with combi-meltas. 

3D1B37A1-B44B-4FFD-A8C1-1C3CAED1E684.thumb.jpeg.33ee6d76d7cd9384ba7474dd42505c07.jpeg

Really nice, especially the skin tones.

Thanks. I’m pleased with how these guys have come out. I think they stand out from the tactical crowd enough, but not too much.

On the subject of individuality, I’ve done almost nothing for my tacticals but a bit more for other guys. These seekers, who are elites, have the most done to them of my units so far. Mor Deythan will get  more. 

On 8/11/2022 at 10:53 PM, Mandragola said:

I think loyal alpha legion would have an extremely difficult time of it. Who would trust them? I’m 100% sure Dorn, and especially the Custodes, would execute them rather than risk it. 

They’d know that, so set out to find a way to make a difference. Luckily, they have all the skills to fight alone for extended periods. Maybe they’re even fighting behind the traitor lines on Terra, where the fog of war would let them get up to all kinds of mishchief. 

That's a really nice squad you got there, I like the posing a lot. How did you do the black, if I may ask? That's the kind of black I wanted for my own Raven Guard.

1 minute ago, Cruor Vault said:

I've been chugging along on some Nemesis themed MKVI Mortalis Destroyers and some custom rhinos.

Screen Shot 2022-08-14 at 8.53.12 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-14 at 8.52.50 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-14 at 8.52.30 AM.png

Start of the destroyers look great, is that the new missile launcher you used for them there? And the Rhinos, really really digging them. How hard was it to make them?

With a fair few vehicles having now been ported over to plastic do we think if they do bring over the Deimos Command Rhino (which is admittedly in the main book so definitely a real possibility and they've got the base already, could just be them trying to sell off what stock they've got, I mean they could simply sell the dish as an upgrade) how similar do you folks think it will be to the current one?

Because from what I see, most stuff is pretty similar and I like the look of the resin one but some of the infantry design choices for the MkVI weren't too my tastes.

Almost bought one yesterday to be honest despite it not being planned in a list for a while.

Edited by Hfran Morkai

2 hours ago, Xenith said:

Haha, yes - I have to remind myself that a lot of players in my club only started with 8th, or even 9th edition so the Heresy ruleset is totally new to them! 

Since I've been so immersed in 30k, so many old terms have come back and I had to explain all that. My opponent was a friend I got back into the hobby during 7th so he didn't bat an eye, but we laughed all the same.

Whipped up a tartaros command squad! 

1073651575_PXL_20220811_1330475602.thumb.jpg.7198d8472814e4b47c9717585578dc98.jpg

I'm more partial to cataphractii usually, but the contekar bodies are so cool, and I had an extra 5 from the launch of the edition that I had meant for atrementar...oh well. 

I have some brass etch on the way to try and differentiate them a bit more, and I swear I had the transfer sheet around somewhere for the banner. Either way, the banner needs a topper and maybe some other accessories to finish it off.