30k Hobby Chat

So I have been Working on my Age of Darkness box  as RG

I switched heads on Praetor

and got the first 15 man tactical squad built with another 15 man and 2 5 man support squads to go

I am thinking of getting some Tortuga Mk6 bodies to make Mor Dethyan and Dark Fury models.

7 hours ago, Dantay VI said:

Been working on Fafnir Rann.

He came with a 32mm base, but is it okay to put him on a 40mm base?

I wouldn't. Aside from it not being the official one, if you want to make use of the shieldwall rules he'll be a lot easier to rank up on the same diameter base as his unit.

On 9/3/2022 at 2:08 AM, Brother_Angelus said:

I wouldn't. Aside from it not being the official one, if you want to make use of the shieldwall rules he'll be a lot easier to rank up on the same diameter base as his unit.

What difference does it make not being official? And IMO wasn't the ruling in tournaments etc that bigger bases were fine, its trying to make your base smaller than the one supplied frowned upon?

Shieldwall rules state only 3 models in the squad need to be in b2b contact with each other. That being the case I'd rather have groups of 3 in unit coherency to mitigate templates rather than forming them up like ranks of ancient history.

So I'd say if he wants a 40mm base for scenic purposes there's no real reason not to

3 hours ago, GodEmperorOfMankind said:

What difference does it make not being official? And IMO wasn't the ruling in tournaments etc that bigger bases were fine, its trying to make your base smaller than the one supplied frowned upon?

Shieldwall rules state only 3 models in the squad need to be in b2b contact with each other. That being the case I'd rather have groups of 3 in unit coherency to mitigate templates rather than forming them up like ranks of ancient history.

So I'd say if he wants a 40mm base for scenic purposes there's no real reason not to

The actual rules tell you to use the base the model comes with and if you want to mount stuff with no base on one, to use models of similar size to determine whats appropriate. Rann comes with a 32mm base; if he didn't have a base, you'd look at all the other marines and their bases and mount him on a 32mm base.

26 minutes ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

The actual rules tell you to use the base the model comes with and if you want to mount stuff with no base on one, to use models of similar size to determine whats appropriate. Rann comes with a 32mm base; if he didn't have a base, you'd look at all the other marines and their bases and mount him on a 32mm base.

From the warhammer world FAQ:

492178682_Screenshot_20220905-184437_SamsungNotes.thumb.jpg.bd18e187c3f370a49d067099786e25d7.jpg

Grand tournament events Rann would have to be on 32mm, anything else is fine. (unless your local players only play GT rules) 

33 minutes ago, GodEmperorOfMankind said:

From the warhammer world FAQ:

492178682_Screenshot_20220905-184437_SamsungNotes.thumb.jpg.bd18e187c3f370a49d067099786e25d7.jpg

Grand tournament events Rann would have to be on 32mm, anything else is fine. (unless your local players only play GT rules) 

Who cares what the warhammer event rules are? They're only for people who want to play there, and I've personally never seen anyone want to use them outside the place, as they also have to:

-play fully painted 

-only use GW/FW models

-stop count-asing the subfaction rules when your scheme doesn't match (the main reason for 40k players)

-no 3d prints

They're also years old, not written for 30k, and conflict with the current one in the rulebook.

2 hours ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

Who cares what the warhammer event rules are? They're only for people who want to play there, and I've personally never seen anyone want to use them outside the place, as they also have to:

-play fully painted 

-only use GW/FW models

-stop count-asing the subfaction rules when your scheme doesn't match (the main reason for 40k players)

-no 3d prints

They're also years old, not written for 30k, and conflict with the current one in the rulebook.

What I'm saying is there's nothing wrong with putting Rann on a 40mm base if that's what's wanted.

@Mard - those Dark Angels look really great! And I agree about the basing. How have you got on with the powders? I am just trying powders myself and struggling to find a good binding agent - I've tried using a matt varnish (this was recommended to me) but it seems to remove some of the powdery effect that looks so good. The alternative will be my minis moving around a board and leaving a trail of sand as they go lol

20 minutes ago, Pacific81 said:

@Mard - those Dark Angels look really great! And I agree about the basing. How have you got on with the powders? I am just trying powders myself and struggling to find a good binding agent - I've tried using a matt varnish (this was recommended to me) but it seems to remove some of the powdery effect that looks so good. The alternative will be my minis moving around a board and leaving a trail of sand as they go lol

Thanks Mate!
I had the same problem with Vanish after the powder on my first few tries at this as well. It would look great but then completeky washed away after the vanish had hit it.

Now I vanish my minis after applying transfers and before powders.
I then use a pigment fixer (The a.mig 3000 pigment fixer in this case) and use an old brush to apply a small amount of the liquid where I want the powder to clump. So on the base, feet and a tiny bit up the legs. I then use a small sponge to blendy some dust up the leg a bit.
It works pretty well after that and I haven't had a problem with tracking dust behind me on tables.

I use weathering powders a lot. After trying for ages to get a pigment fixer that works, I just...don't use one. If you use varnish, do it before the pigment stage, and just brush the pigments you want on and keep brushing until they kinds stop coming off. 

Green Stuff World also makes liquid pigment which does not need a fixer, but while they are not bad, I like the powder ones more, still. 

But yeah, just don't use a pigment fixer. I generally blow off the extra, and maybe tap the models base against my painting mat a few times, when I am done, to get off any extra. Wet wipes work good for getting pigment up without getting it all in the air. 

Just caught up on the last couple of weeks of work: superb everyone!

I am presently about to make strides with my Alpha Legion so I can get them on the table… all very exciting and great to have so much Heresy inspiration in the thread.

While I'm slowly chipping at my first AoD box again I've been trying to figure out the Night Lords icons, and I'm kind of stumped.

The single winged skulls might be fast attack or vehicles, but I can't think of what the skull with folded wings and sword is for, the lightning bolt coffins are a bit of a stumper, and while I recognize the red right hand used in the Thramas Crusade as a mark of loyalty to Curze I'm not sure what the black and white ones are for (other colors of armor maybe?). And of course I'm not sure what the hour glass is for.

Well at least the runes mean I'll be learning to freehand I guess so I can repeat them across units. If anyone has some ideas I'm all ears because this as obfuscating as Nostromian is to figure out what they might be used for.

EDIT: Thanks to a resouceful person on twitter I have answers: https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/fw_site/fw_pdfs/transfer-keys/NIGHT LORDS TRANFERS BREAKDOWN.pdf

Edited by BitsHammer

1 hour ago, GenerationTerrorist said:

I'm absolutely stumped on where to get a suitable Standard to make Legion Herald for my planned Pride of the Legion list for an Emperor's Children project. Preferably something that would work with Tartaros Armour.

Any ideas?

Fulgrim has a nice 3rd Legion banner on his base if you can get your hands on that?