30k Hobby Chat

5 hours ago, TheFirstKnight said:

It is indeed; in fact the whole miniature is that kit, with a FW Dark Angels helmet on top.

I've been thinking for a long time that I would like to do some 30K Thousand Sons with the 40K plastics. That kit is the only one I wasn't sure would work - thank you for proving me wrong. Lovely model.

Now I have to find another excuse not to start another Legion. ;)

1 hour ago, Corswain said:

I've been thinking for a long time that I would like to do some 30K Thousand Sons with the 40K plastics. That kit is the only one I wasn't sure would work - thank you for proving me wrong. Lovely model.

heads, guns and power packs are the important thing to change from 40k to 30k Tsons minis. 

3 hours ago, Corswain said:

Not a great photo but for my Veterans I’ve used the legs and shoulder pads from the 40K kits, the torso, arms, gun and power pack from the mk IV kit and an Achaean helmet. You could easily get away with using the arms and torso from the 40K list though, as Sarabando says you only need to really replace a couple of bits from them.

76AD9E10-CF7C-4B74-A7A0-FAA74C2869C4.jpeg

Heads and power-packs would be enough for me. Although Sergeants might still use the heads for Artificer armour..... and I'm nearly finished Ahriman as little break project........

Must. Resist. Starting. Another. Legion!!!!

Need some input is this a cheesy ZM list 

1 tartaros champion with claws

Box dread with flame storm cannon and chain fist

2 X 7 man squads of indomni termies 1 squad all hammers and shields the other all claws 

Blood angels assault on the vengeful spirit themed. 

13 minutes ago, sarabando said:

Need some input is this a cheesy ZM list 

1 tartaros champion with claws

Box dread with flame storm cannon and chain fist

2 X 7 man squads of indomni termies 1 squad all hammers and shields the other all claws 

Blood angels assault on the vengeful spirit themed. 

Don’t the Indomitus terminators have “support squad”? What are your compulsory troops? Or is this a different unit I don’t know about?

great theme. Flame storm cannon and lots of thunder hammers is gonna bring some pain. Do you feel you need to soft pedal?

15 minutes ago, LameBeard said:

Don’t the Indomitus terminators have “support squad”? What are your compulsory troops? Or is this a different unit I don’t know about?

great theme. Flame storm cannon and lots of thunder hammers is gonna bring some pain. Do you feel you need to soft pedal?

FAQ changed them to having Line when used as pride of the legion.

image.png.1be8a5d84220e3eeb5dc87f3acc96fe0.png

So the question is: Where is the Praetor/Delegatus to grant Master of the Legion to make the units Line :teehee::tongue:.

Edited by Spagunk

Finished up some models that have been sitting around in bare plastic for way too long:

IMG_20221011_121841_071.thumb.jpg.c6fb39423c0f86b197976fa726f1989f.jpgIMG_20221011_122232_376.thumb.jpg.f21411867ed93d7205f825a58e50ee72.jpgIMG_20221011_122157_090.thumb.jpg.14e5924df1eceefbde8fd0cf968e405c.jpg

Not super happy with the photos but happy with the models themselves. Nice to have them painted up finally and it got my painting mojo back.

Edited by Corswain

10 hours ago, Spagunk said:

FAQ changed them to having Line when used as pride of the legion.

image.png.1be8a5d84220e3eeb5dc87f3acc96fe0.png

So the question is: Where is the Praetor/Delegatus to grant Master of the Legion to make the units Line :teehee::tongue:.

I'd missed that, updated my battle scribe and it's changed the points too so everything is cheaper XD swapped to a delegatus and added all the upgrades to everything. 

7 hours ago, sarabando said:

I'd missed that, updated my battle scribe and it's changed the points too so everything is cheaper XD swapped to a delegatus and added all the upgrades to everything. 

To be fair, this FAQ isn't in the FAQ section but rather the announcement page. The FAQ section is a mess right now where in the URL doesn't even go to the FAQ page anymore. It's the perfect game, really.

Doing the base decoration for jaghatai tempted me to do a test death guard on one of the plastic mk 6. It's pretty simple, as my night lords have enough steps; the gold for the NL has almost as many steps as the entire DG scheme lol.  

978652991_PXL_20221013_0011573742.thumb.jpg.1902b449fd5458f39939444ff17a6966.jpg

I'm really happy with the time investment to end result on the whole. The eyes are honestly terribly done, but I'm going to replace it down the line with some legion specific heads, so it's not the biggest issue. The real concerning thing was my decision to use gw wraith bone spray; I used some out the pot for the dead version and thought it'd be easiest to get the spray can and avoid the whole airbrush routine for the priming. It turns out I just suck at spray can priming, so this guy has some graininess you can spot, and the other 4 I have waiting are...not great. There's bubbles and uneven layers and all sorts of problems, though it can be recovered with weathering. Just going to swap to an airbrush primer like Vallejo mecha or something and avoid the aerosol.

2 hours ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

Doing the base decoration for jaghatai tempted me to do a test death guard on one of the plastic mk 6. It's pretty simple, as my night lords have enough steps; the gold for the NL has almost as many steps as the entire DG scheme lol.  

978652991_PXL_20221013_0011573742.thumb.jpg.1902b449fd5458f39939444ff17a6966.jpg

I'm really happy with the time investment to end result on the whole. The eyes are honestly terribly done, but I'm going to replace it down the line with some legion specific heads, so it's not the biggest issue. The real concerning thing was my decision to use gw wraith bone spray; I used some out the pot for the dead version and thought it'd be easiest to get the spray can and avoid the whole airbrush routine for the priming. It turns out I just suck at spray can priming, so this guy has some graininess you can spot, and the other 4 I have waiting are...not great. There's bubbles and uneven layers and all sorts of problems, though it can be recovered with weathering. Just going to swap to an airbrush primer like Vallejo mecha or something and avoid the aerosol.

Mind sharing the schema? :)

i really like it 

12 minutes ago, suxdavide said:

Mind sharing the schema? :)

i really like it 

Yeah np! 

- White is primed wraithbone with a zenithal shot of Nacar from scale75.

- Green is death guard green.

- Iron is Vallejo metallic black.

- bronze is decayed metal from scale75 and then canoptek alloy.

- black bolter casing and hair are black templar.

- leather straps are cygor.

- chips are a sponged on dark brown, I think I used Vallejo game air scorched brown or something like that.

- oil wash with abteilung 502 brown wash; any darker brown oil will do the same though.

- base is AK wet...ground? Wet mud? One of the two lol

As I mentioned, it's pretty simple and can honestly do without the airbrushed Nacar if you don't have one and are better with gw sprays than I am. You can also easily add more detail like highlights on the edges and chips, verdigris on the bronze and stains on the legs from the mud to push it a bit further after pumping out a bunch.

5 hours ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

It's pretty simple, as my night lords have enough steps; the gold for the NL has almost as many steps as the entire DG scheme lol.  

Understand completely. My Night Lords were (are) so complicated and labour intensive that I chose to go with Blood Angels for my new Legion because I can get so much done with a spray can.

Death Guard looks good mate. Hope we see some more.

Nice! That's similar to what I do, except I don't use a zenithal highlight. I love how forgiving the Death Guard paint scheme is, especially with oil washes.

c8YIO5Pl.jpg

- Prime white (rattlecan, I use either Rustoleum 2X Matte White paint-and-primer or Krylon Matte White Primer)

- All the 'white areas' get a coat of Pallid Wych Flesh

- Leadbelcher for metallics, including all over the bolter

- Black Templar for the body suit (knee joints, elbow joints), on the bolter casing, and the base (already treated with crackle paste)

-Castellan Green for the shoulders

- Abbadon Black around the base rim

- Gloss varnish

- Oil wash with black

- Gold Sharpie Oil marker

- Dot brown oil paint where I want weathering, then use a brush full of solvent to drag it down and create streaks. 

Still deciding how I want to do the eyes. 

@Corswain ya the night lords add up when you get models with a ton of trim, bones, and skin (contekar). And my bases are kinda labour intensive for them too.dl Definitely want to get more of both done. 

@jaxom the zenithal is pretty unneeded; it's more for fast extra colour than it is for a high gradient or anything like that (not that zenithals actually great a gradient that you can appreciate on the table top lol). Im thinking of a magenta-red for the eyes for a bit of a complementary to the brighter green. 

Added a bit of grime to the feet and lower ankles while I was waiting for paint to dry on other guys, and it obviously helps tie the model and base together a lot better. I don't think I'll be highlighting chips or anything on the troopers, but this is something I'll be doing wholesale.

Edit: I haven't been happy with the last few photos, and I realized my new phone has an auto-macro function and turning it off has fixed things. You can really see the graininess from the primer in the new pictures though lol

PXL_20221016_183443368~2.jpg

PXL_20221016_183431652.jpg

Edited by SkimaskMohawk

Just finished varnishing my EC Rhino with Vallejo premium polyurethane satin varnish. Coming from pretty much exclusive use of testors/model masters lacquer varnishes, I have to say I’m pretty impressed with the Vallejo polyurethanes.. 

The satin came out much closer to matt/flat than I was expecting. I’m wondering if I need to add a few drops of future to the satin in my airbrush and reshoot again? The top hatch has been done in a flat black and I thought the contrast between flat and somewhat glossy would look nice. Thoughts?

7016F481-696F-4BD7-AADE-DB676288362C.jpeg

Cracked open the box of a Deimos Rhino that I'm going to build as my Command Rhino with some bits I've picked up. Good news is the command dish will fit.

Sprue layout is quite cool, as is the box itself.

From what I can see (unless I'm completely blind) the Spartan kit is the one with the data pad/tac map? I thought it would have been on the accessory sprue but I'm struggling to find it and it's not on the instructions.