30k Hobby Chat

8 hours ago, Bloody Legionnaire said:

I don't think painting by hand, even with using tool like micron pens, saves me any more time over masking and airbrushing. I think I'm going to try the black. It appears that IW emphasized uniformity across it's personnel, I'll consider black to be a standardization across the formations of my army. 

You know your painting speeds best!

10 hours ago, Corswain said:

I did black shoulder pads and hazard stripes randomly about the models - shins, forearms, chest plates. Different on every one.

I just paint the whole panel yellow and then free hand in the black stripes. Not too painful.

Did you like the look of that in your army? I thought about doing mixed too, but I like uniformity across formations and I think fluff wise that was a big thing for the Iron Warriors as well.

Does anybody have any Isstvan V themed/inspired bases you could share? I'm trying to figure out a way to do the "black sands" that looks good

I like the way this base looks, but I feel like more went into it than just the paints/products listed and I'm not sure what else I'd have to do to achieve that look. 

132232384_IsstvanVbase.PNG.ff4b83da95f3fcffc35cbd4e0ce9b028.PNG

Edited by Bloody Legionnaire

1 hour ago, Bloody Legionnaire said:

Did you like the look of that in your army? I thought about doing mixed too, but I like uniformity across formations and I think fluff wise that was a big thing for the Iron Warriors as well.

Yeah, I'm happy. The silver is definitely the dominant colour and keeping (nearly) all the shoulder pads black keeps them uniform. 

I should note that some units have hazard stripes in one particular spot on their weapons - Tryant siege terminators on the missle launchers for example. The Marines themselves still have random panels done.

It's not going to appeal to everyone but it works for me.

Finished this up a lot quicker than I expected, Thousand Sons Contemptor Dreadnought and former member of the Cult Athanaean (hence the eye on his torso in place of the Scarab). Looks a wee bit more sinister than I was expecting but fits the theme of my army (Order of the Scorpion).

B4E3087C-D065-4C7D-B448-4ACF72FF66A2.jpeg

F12213E6-83B7-4987-BCA3-5CCC72BD9C3B.jpeg

Edited by TheFirstKnight

More the certain, I just wish we'd get more infantry and not just tanks. I understand them wanting to get them out (especially since they are being really smart with the sprue layouts) but I would like to see some assault and dispoiler options as well as some breachers. Hell I'd even take a combi-weapon upgrade set at this point.

Does anyone have any opinions on color scheme for Emperor's Children destroyers?

Going to do some for my Istvaan III loyalists, but I'm not sure whether to do the body in black with purple shoulderpads and maybe a purple helm, or keep the base body color purple with black shoulderpads.

14 hours ago, WrathOfTheLion said:

Does anyone have any opinions on color scheme for Emperor's Children destroyers?

Going to do some for my Istvaan III loyalists, but I'm not sure whether to do the body in black with purple shoulderpads and maybe a purple helm, or keep the base body color purple with black shoulderpads.

I have a well-informed, considered and strongly held opinion: either would look great.

Sorry that is so useless. It is the reason why my own destroyers are still in the “concept phase”.

5 hours ago, Corswain said:

What did you use for the base of your model, if you don't mind me asking? Is that from the plastic Sorcerors kit?

It is indeed; in fact the whole miniature is that kit, with a FW Dark Angels helmet on top.